List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't read today's posts but I have just watched Matt Clark's press conference.

Did he actually say on record that he agreed Baker was worth an early teens pick?

Not at all pleased with his Barass response. We ain't getting the future first as well.

Absolute disaster areas.

Last edited:
As dire as our current picks look, there was a lot of green shoots for us that are in for a huge year of development in 2025.

1. Dewar, will be a Ryan type if not a more prolific goal kicker, and play maker (highest ceiling for mine)

2. Maric, should never have been dropped and will be a certified gun with the best kick in the league.

3. Hutchinson will start in the midfield next year and I'm excited given his work rate is up there with Waterman.

4. Jack Williams, very crafty and agile for his age, and will be a jack darling for us.

5. Hough, certified back man, who you can trust to dispose of the ball effectively and shut his man down.

6. Harry Edwards should have always been in the side, he showed great intent, top competitive work rate and his defensive skills were awesome.

7. I'm hundred percent sure Hewitt would be the top three under Hough and Harley if managed to get on the ****ing field....

8. Not to mention the prince himself, Harley.

9. Jake "magnet mits" a prevailing new huge forward target that's deadly for opponents.

I wish I could mention Bailey Williams in this, but fick me he was a traffic cone all year and just didn't recessed by 2023 standards.

We should have Long back, who will make a dangerous small forward, given we get sufficient supply.

With a couple of plugs to fill the holes, that hopefully gather us an extra 20 disposals and pressure ratings, we aren't far off it...

Imo we don't even need to nail this trade period, we just need capable footballers who are good decision makers and have a high work rate

I actually liked Clarke's presser, spoke confidently - like a man that knows what he wants and isn't looking to play games. I feel like we've been part of a smoke and mirrors organisation for years and years under Nesbitt and I'm not certain if it's ever worked in our favour (to the extent that they hope it does) - whilst at the same time alienating our fan-base.

His comment about Baker being worth a pick in the teens or thereabouts seemed like a reflex reply, perhaps a moment's more thought was needed before his answer in that case but I was really happy with the rest.

Given his combine results we should be right into Luke Urquhart.

We don't currently have a suitable pick in the 3rd round but can surely secure one. Great hands and he's tested better than Langford & Smilie.

I’m with this - I really don’t want to give up 14, but don’t tell me he’s not a good player.

Jack Graham coming in for nothing is perfectly fine.

I also want a split.
He is a good player but the type you trade for when you are already a genuine contender. If we are stupid enough to do this, it screams WCE corporate being happy to improve enough to keep the box office happy rather than being serious about flags anytime soon.

...we can't really afford for Baker to take a season or more to settle into a role. His age and our stage as a team probably won't allow for that if we are to see this as good value, and even if he does slot in right away (if he does I think he really will make us slightly better in the medium term) the timing is still off as we've discussed.
He should slot in much quicker having already worked with Mini (and Baker), should be a solid fit, a bridge or building block to our next stage. If he falls away later, others are coming through.

I actually liked Clarke's presser, spoke confidently - like a man that knows what he wants and isn't looking to play games. I feel like we've been part of a smoke and mirrors organisation for years and years under Nesbitt and I'm not certain if it's ever worked in our favour (to the extent that they hope it does) - whilst at the same time alienating our fan-base.

His comment about Baker being worth a pick in the teens or thereabouts seemed like a reflex reply, perhaps a moment's more thought was needed before his answer in that case but I was really happy with the rest.

What has been overlooked in his reply is that he also said it would depend on what picks each team ended up with after other trades. He then later said when talking about Barrass that we wouldn’t necessarily wait for that trade to be done before finalising a Baker deal - which would mean we wouldn’t have pick 14 to use

But that would need people to put his comments in context before reaching a conclusion on something that will take until at least the end of this week and probably into next week to finalise

He’s a straight up troll - no need to give him more time, check out the D&T board.

Get in the bin.

Noted

I don’t read the D&T board, this one is enough internet for me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What has been overlooked in his reply is that he also said it would depend on what picks each team ended up with after other trades. He then later said when talking about Barrass that we wouldn’t necessarily wait for that trade to be done before finalising a Baker deal - which would mean we wouldn’t have pick 14 to use

But that would need people to put his comments in context before reaching a conclusion on something that will take until at least the end of this week and probably into next week to finalise

We want information on our plans, but only if we like the information we're given. We also don't want to give away too much information as it weakens our bargaining position, but we also want to make sure we are open with the information about which recruits we're targeting and how we plan to attract them. :drunk:

On a hiding to nothing is the best way to describe the club right now.

So what am I missing here...

Premiership player
3rd in this years B&F
28 year old
Wants to head home after 10 years interstate
Heart & soul types
Still got a year under contract I believe
Doesn't win any awards, accolades, etc... just a solid, never gets dropped player.

ANB = Pick 28 in the most straight forward trade in history.

Yet somehow Baker is worth significantly more than this and is actually out of contract?

Seeing as Baker is going to be traded in, I'd like to see Clarke getting creative here, splitting picks and then even splitting one or two again. Ie getting picks 7 and 8 off the saints then 8 for 19 and 22 off the Swans and sending 19 to Richmond for example.

It sounds like we might be in with a shot to get a couple of top 10 or so picks after splitting pick 3.

Considering our relationship with Richmond, im hoping we can secure 6+10 from them
Assuming we do the Barrass+f2 for 14+hawks f1,
3+14+26 for 6+10+Baker?
Picks 6+10 should secure us probably Draper/Travaglia + Travaglia/Allan/Tauru?

We would then have no more picks, so the hawks f1 probably has to come into this year. Do we target some GC picks? Hawks f1 for 23+29? 23+29 balloon out at least 4 more spots on draft night to 27+33, so GC are getting a decent deal on those picks. We could ask for a f3 back maybe, but we dont need another 2024 pick in this scenario anyway.
Would give us 4 picks inside 30. Trade a f3, f4, or a guy like Culley to generate a late asset to trade for Dev.

Potentially Travaglia+Allan+KPD+Davis?+Champion with Baker+Graham+Dev added.
A shitload of run added, and some mature bodies to be contest fodder for the younger guys.

Seeing as Baker is going to be traded in, I'd like to see Clarke getting creative here, splitting picks and then even splitting one or two again. Ie getting picks 7 and 8 off the saints then 8 for 19 and 22 off the Swans and sending 19 to Richmond for example.
Supposedly 19+22 from the Swans was on the table for pick 13 from Gold Coast. We would get far more for pick 8.

I read it this way too. That we didn't have a teens pick so he thought the question was a bit irrelevant. It sounded to me like Baker would be part of a trade down of pick 3 or moving our F1 into 2024.

My money is on 3 for 6 + Baker.

I read it this way too. That we didn't have a teens pick so he thought the question was a bit irrelevant. It sounded to me like Baker would be part of a trade down of pick 3 or moving our F1 into 2024.

My money is on 3 for 6 + Baker.
shy-sad.gif

If its #3 for #6 it would be including #23 but not a swap
Baker + #6 / #3 + #23
Please keep him. We will delist in 2 years after he shows how little talent he has.

Can you also take be your coach and recruiting team. They don't have our interests at heart.

Gee some of you lads on here need to have a break from trade time for your own sake

Just listen to the infomas press conference. Clarke said nothing of substance (typically AFL media interviews). He was asked a question and gave a pretty nothing answer ("urgh, umm, yeah, maybe I think so, somewhere in there, other mechanisms what we end up with what they end up with, we will work through it").

You guys seriously taking that answer as gospel, trading a mid teen pick (which we don't actually have yet) for baker? Come on, answering a question by straight batting the answer back at the journo is AFL media training 101.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back