List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright campaigners - let me have a go at some hypothetical trade garbage.

3 + F2 for 6, Baker, F1

Hawks trade 14 + F1 to Saints for 7 + F2

Barrass for 7 + St Kilda's F2

We go to the draft with

6, 7, 26

In 2025 we have Richmond F1, WCE F1 and St Kilda F2.

Could even look to move our F1 next year into picks in this years draft depending on how we rate the pool. Or hold it for a potential Warner play.

Who says no?

The club might see itself closer to contending than the average fan.

If we did:
  • 3 and F1 to Syd for Warner and 19.
  • 19 to Rich for Baker and 32.
We'd have a midfield of Yeo, Kelly, Warner, Harley, Graham, with Hutchinson, Baker and Hewett to pinch hit from the flanks. That's a strong midfield.

Hopefully get Flynn on the park for the full season, with Bailey to train there all off season (if not traded for a real ruck).

Forwards are set and forget. Two AA pillars. If Carlton can make finals with Owies as their first choice small, we can get by with Ryan, Long, Dewar, Champion etc.

A lot less ball going into the backline with that midfield. Also doubtful that McQualter goes for land of the giants, so less easy exits from our forward half.

If it does get down there though, Hough and Ginbey are another year closer to their primes, with Baker and Duggan taking the smalls.

If McGovern can keep up 80% of this year's form as well, we'd get decent odds at all home games.

Also a small possibility that we hold Barrass if Hawks don't pay up.

Maric another another year in (and still only 20 until the end of the 2025 season somehow!) rotating through wing and half back delivering lasers.

Should also get a soft draw with double ups against Norf and Tigers - for the "against their old team" narrative if nothing else. As well as the double up against the "we knocked them out of finals", "rent free in their heads" Dockers.

I'm a glass half full kinda guy, but if that all came to fruition, I'd go into 2025 feeling a real chance of pushing for the eight.

Would also still have picks 14, 26 and 32 to bring in some other quality youth.

3 + F2 for 6, Baker, F1

We go to the draft with

6, 7, 26

Could even look to move our F1 next year into picks in this years draft depending on how we rate the pool. Or hold it for a potential Warner play.

Who says no?
Not a chance Richmond give us Baker and F1 for 3 IMO.

If we did:
We'd have a midfield of Yeo, Kelly, Warner, Harley, Graham, with Hutchinson, Baker and Hewett to pinch hit from the flanks. That's a strong midfield.

Hopefully get Flynn on the park for the full season, with Bailey to train there all off season (if not traded for a real ruck).

Forwards are set and forget. Two AA pillars. If Carlton can make finals with Owies as their first choice small, we can get by with Ryan, Long, Dewar, Champion etc.

A lot less ball going into the backline with that midfield. Also doubtful that McQualter goes for land of the giants, so less easy exits from our forward half.

If it does get down there though, Hough and Ginbey are another year closer to their primes, with Baker and Duggan taking the smalls.

If McGovern can keep up 80% of this year's form as well, we'd get decent odds at all home games.

Maric another another year in (and still only 20 until the end of the 2025 season somehow!) rotating through wing and half back delivering lasers.

Should also get a soft draw with double ups against Norf and Tigers - for the "against their old team" narrative if nothing else. As well as the double up against the "we knocked them out of finals", "rent free in their heads" Dockers.

I'm a glass half full kinda guy, but if that all came to fruition, I'd go into 2025 feeling a real chance of pushing for the eight.

Exactly, all we need is more supply into our 50, with a better engine room, we are ten steps closer to that.

Let's say we beat North (which we should have), win the home Essendon game (which we should have) the narrative looks a lot different. Not to mention the 15 point admirable loss in a 100 point shoot out against Brisbane (premiers) which was a belter of a game.

All I'm hoping is McQualter is a man of standards and accountability, not caring about hurting feelings in the friendship club and we are half a chance

It sounds like we might be in with a shot to get a couple of top 10 or so picks after splitting pick 3.

Considering our relationship with Richmond, im hoping we can secure 6+10 from them
Assuming we do the Barrass+f2 for 14+hawks f1,
3+14+26 for 6+10+Baker?
Picks 6+10 should secure us probably Draper/Travaglia + Travaglia/Allan/Tauru?

We would then have no more picks, so the hawks f1 probably has to come into this year. Do we target some GC picks? Hawks f1 for 23+29? 23+29 balloon out at least 4 more spots on draft night to 27+33, so GC are getting a decent deal on those picks. We could ask for a f3 back maybe, but we dont need another 2024 pick in this scenario anyway.
Would give us 4 picks inside 30. Trade a f3, f4, or a guy like Culley to generate a late asset to trade for Dev.

Potentially Travaglia+Allan+KPD+Davis?+Champion with Baker+Graham+Dev added.
A shitload of run added, and some mature bodies to be contest fodder for the younger guys.
Have to keep the hawks f1 unless it's a great deal, every chance they could regress next year and it ends up top 10 in a year we could be trading for Warner

Assuming.....
Rioli goes for 6
Tb 14 and something
Shai 10 + 18

WCE get 6,10, LiamBaker
Rich get 3,14,26

This scenario values Baker at pick 19 which imo seems fair. Westcoast still get 2 very good picks. Richmond get to pair jagga with finn plus a nice teens pick and our 2nd rounder to even the trade

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It sounds like we might be in with a shot to get a couple of top 10 or so picks after splitting pick 3.

Considering our relationship with Richmond, im hoping we can secure 6+10 from them
Assuming we do the Barrass+f2 for 14+hawks f1,
3+14+26 for 6+10+Baker?
Picks 6+10 should secure us probably Draper/Travaglia + Travaglia/Allan/Tauru?

We would then have no more picks, so the hawks f1 probably has to come into this year. Do we target some GC picks? Hawks f1 for 23+29? 23+29 balloon out at least 4 more spots on draft night to 27+33, so GC are getting a decent deal on those picks. We could ask for a f3 back maybe, but we dont need another 2024 pick in this scenario anyway.
Would give us 4 picks inside 30. Trade a f3, f4, or a guy like Culley to generate a late asset to trade for Dev.

Potentially Travaglia+Allan+KPD+Davis?+Champion with Baker+Graham+Dev added.
A shitload of run added, and some mature bodies to be contest fodder for the younger guys.
Have to keep the hawks f1 unless it's a great deal, every chance they could regress next year and it ends up top 10 in a year we could be trading for Warner

Assuming.....
Rioli goes for 6
Tb 14 and something
Shai 10 + 18

WCE get 6,10, LiamBaker
Rich get 3,14,26

This scenario values Baker at pick 19 which imo seems fair. Westcoast still get 2 very good picks. Richmond get to pair jagga with finn plus a nice teens pick and our 2nd rounder to even the trade

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app
So we are basically trading 3 and 14 for 6 and 10 because Baker is only worth 26.

IMG_6696.JPG

Keep trying to copy and paste the entire article but it’s not letting me

Harley had some pretty concerning comments tbh, one of them that caught my eye was that he wasn’t able to get home as much as he liked this year… we gave him a game off to go back there, he was there when he was suspended and on our bye weeks etc. too.

Still feel optimistic about keeping him for 1-2 years beyond his initial contract, but he does keep dropping these sorts of comments.

3 + F2 for 6, Baker, F1

We go to the draft with

6, 7, 26

Who says no?
Richmond, St Kilda and Hawthorn?

If we did:

Nice. Even if we held Barrass, I don't think anyone could complain at an off-season that brings in Warner, Baker, Graham, 26, 32, 62 + 67.

I actually liked Clarke's presser, spoke confidently - like a man that knows what he wants and isn't looking to play games. I feel like we've been part of a smoke and mirrors organisation for years and years under Nesbitt and I'm not certain if it's ever worked in our favour (to the extent that they hope it does) - whilst at the same time alienating our fan-base.

His comment about Baker being worth a pick in the teens or thereabouts seemed like a reflex reply, perhaps a moment's more thought was needed before his answer in that case but I was really happy with the rest.
Can’t fathom the hand wringing over the Barrass comment.

People have taken it to mean “you’re joking if you think he’s worth two firsts” and not what I immediately thought was clear: “This is still being worked through, why don’t you tell me.”

See:

Do people think the list managers bring up eachother’s press conferences at the trade table, and they’re anything more than contractual obligations to give us insight we already have about the done deals and obfuscate about the others?

And if we’re scrutinising them, I’d have thought the “he’s contracted for three more years, a key player, key position player and in the new coach’s plans” line that’s been hammered at every opportunity would be doing more heavy lifting than it is.

I agree, but I was just using it to generate the remaining picks needed.
If we delist LEdwards, Rotham and Witherden we need to fill 8 list spots. Graham, Baker and 1 mid(dev?) is 3, so 5 picks needed.
Hard to keep 2 top 10 picks, get Baker and have 4 picks + Champion.
If we kept Witho or decided to chase a DFA or something then there is less need to move the Hawks f1, which is also an option

View attachment 2134753

Harley had some pretty concerning comments tbh, one of them that caught my eye was that he wasn’t able to get home as much as he liked this year… we gave him a game off to go back there, he was there when he was suspended and on our bye weeks etc. too.

Still feel optimistic about keeping him for 1-2 years beyond his initial contract, but he does keep dropping these sorts of comments.

There's the paywall busted article

Of course he can't get home as much. He literally lives in country Victoria. Sounds like what every kid who gets drafted interstate is going through. Like everything when he goes out some more and gets more acquainted with the city he should be ok if he's willing to do it.

“I think it’s hard to keep in touch with family and friends when you’re two or three hours behind everyone back home. But the boys are great and you’re pretty busy over there too so you don’t really think about home too much. Footy day-to-day life is a very busy one.”

But yeah, the bottom part of the interview didn't really fill me with a whole lot of confidence. 'You want to win games.' 'The future isn't something I'm thinking about right now.' 'Taking it one week at a time.'

Last edited:
View attachment 2134753

He can't go anywhere apparently which isn't a big deal for the near future, but in the long term is it viable.

The news papers are blowing him up and our chances of retaining him

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back