List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
If the media admit that 14 is overs for Baker and they would need to add more why can't we use pick 26 ?

It may be unders but we could add to it .

They are keen on culley ?

Could add a future pick ?

Why does it have to be 14 .

Bet the world if the roles were reversed
we wouldn't get pick 14
Absolutely.

This is a system and media circus that is rorted against us.

Why would we even contemplate pick 14 for an uncontracted Baker when we have the pick 3 in the preseason draft? I doubt Richmond take him with Pick 1, Norf could be risky but maybe some good faith with the Darling trade sees Baker picked up by us at 3.

The Tigers received band four compensation for Graham, which became pick 42. I wonder why that all they got, it because that's all he is worth. Another Richmond leftover. WCE are looking bad in this draft so far

If the media admit that 14 is overs for Baker and they would need to add more why can't we use pick 26 ?
It may be unders but we could add to it .

They are keen on culley ?

Could add a future pick ?

Why does it have to be 14 .

Bet the world if the roles were reversed
we wouldn't ge
media dont do the trades and I fully agree with you, reckon you get it done without including 14 especially with him being out of contract.

And watch him get picked up again by Richmond

GOOD please send him to the PSD Richmond can have there dreggs we dont want them
Baker clearly isn't their dregs though.

5th in their BnF this year, 6th last year, 4th the year before, 2nd the year before, 6th back in 2020.

That's remarkable consistency for a bloke who has played all over the field for them in that time.

The Tigers received band four compensation for Graham, which became pick 42. I wonder why that all they got, it because that's all he is worth. Another Richmond leftover. WCE are looking bad in this draft so far
Umm, it's because we clearly didn't offer all that much, which is a good thing.

You really want to offer a high wage to Graham, just to generate a better compo pick for Richmond?

I sure as shit don't.

This was from an article on Fox, regurgitating Jay Clark in the Herald

Put away any sharp objects before reading

PICK TO UNLOCK HAWKS-EAGLES SWAP

Hawthorn’s move for star defender Tom Barrass is likely to hinge on them adding another pick to their first-round selection.

Speaking on Fox Footy’s Trading Day, Herald Sun reporter Jay Clark said he expects the Hawks to add a future second-round pick to their offer for the veteran backman to get the deal over the line.

The Hawks’ stunning rise into the semi-finals means their first selection is currently Pick 14 which is not enough for the 2022 best and fairest on its own.

But the extra sweetener should see West Coast accept the deal, in the knowledge they can then on-trade the Hawks’ first-round pick to Richmond for Liam Baker.

“Tom Barrass feels like it’s a really key domino, but West Coast want more than one first-round pick, so pick 14 that’ll be the key part, the centrepiece but there has to be something else to it from West Coast’s perspective,” Clark said on Fox Footy’s Trading Day.

“I think you’ll see that they’ll try and centre in on that future second round pick that Hawthorn would have to give up. One of the best key defenders in the competition and I know he turns 29 today, so happy birthday to Tom Barrass, but I feel like these two clubs have got to find a bit of middle ground.

“No he’s not worth two first-round draft picks, it’s one first and maybe something in-between.”

Pick 14 would then be the centrepiece of the Liam Baker trade, with the Tigers likely needing an additional selection as well.

As if a F2 from Hawthorn being enough to finalise the Barrass trade isn’t bad enough, the clown is not only thinking pick 14 for Baker but saying Richmond will want another pick

A F2 from Hawthorn, when you take in all the F/S and academy kids being available in the next draft is effectively, what was a early to mid third round pick, before Mama Kane let all things get complexed.

Hawks know that their F2 is going to worth a lot less that this years 2nd.
So that’s why they are wanting to short shrift us with a F2, rather than a second this year.

The arrogance of the Poos and Wees to think that they can poach a player with three years on his contract and expect you get him for fair value.
Poaching a player with 3 years still remaining on his contract requires paying overs.

All the bullshit flying around From the Poos and Wees supporters, that we need to trade Barrass to get Baker is just a furphy, flamed on with vigour by the VIC media circus.

Reality is we miss out on securing Baker and kept Barrass, the team that would run out game 1, in 2025 would be appreciable stronger with TB in it rather than LB.

We need to grow a pair and be harder at the trade table and less accommodating to our players.
Sydney have not only once, but twice vetoed a player wanting out early:
O’Keeffe and Papley.

Sure it has some initial blow back from the player but ultimately it’s a wrinkle that’s not insurmountable.

Two groups of supporters on BigFooty who are unbearably arrogant and entitled with their opinions regards to trades that involve their Clubs.

They are Hawks fans who run a very close second to Geelong fans.

Successful Club's both in the modern era, kudos to them for that, but that success has given birth to a level of deluded superiority and arrogance, that has almost become a personality disorder in its own right.

Why would we even contemplate pick 14 for an uncontracted Baker when we have the pick 3 in the preseason draft? I doubt Richmond take him with Pick 1, Norf could be risky but maybe some good faith with the Darling trade sees Baker picked up by us at 3.
Nevermind good faith, Norf wouldn't have the cap space once they're done bringing in Darling, Parker, Houston & Caleb Daniel.

Funny thing is the media seem to be on the Geelong train and have this attitude that the bulldogs should just take what there given.
It's a joke. They enable them.

Obviously easy to say as a non doggies fan but I really hope they play hardball with this one and commit to sending him to psd.

FFS someone needs to stand up to these entitled pricks

This was from an article on Fox, regurgitating Jay Clark in the Herald

Put away any sharp objects before reading

PICK TO UNLOCK HAWKS-EAGLES SWAP

Hawthorn’s move for star defender Tom Barrass is likely to hinge on them adding another pick to their first-round selection.

Speaking on Fox Footy’s Trading Day, Herald Sun reporter Jay Clark said he expects the Hawks to add a future second-round pick to their offer for the veteran backman to get the deal over the line.

The Hawks’ stunning rise into the semi-finals means their first selection is currently Pick 14 which is not enough for the 2022 best and fairest on its own.

But the extra sweetener should see West Coast accept the deal, in the knowledge they can then on-trade the Hawks’ first-round pick to Richmond for Liam Baker.

“Tom Barrass feels like it’s a really key domino, but West Coast want more than one first-round pick, so pick 14 that’ll be the key part, the centrepiece but there has to be something else to it from West Coast’s perspective,” Clark said on Fox Footy’s Trading Day.

“I think you’ll see that they’ll try and centre in on that future second round pick that Hawthorn would have to give up. One of the best key defenders in the competition and I know he turns 29 today, so happy birthday to Tom Barrass, but I feel like these two clubs have got to find a bit of middle ground.

“No he’s not worth two first-round draft picks, it’s one first and maybe something in-between.”

Pick 14 would then be the centrepiece of the Liam Baker trade, with the Tigers likely needing an additional selection as well.

As if a F2 from Hawthorn being enough to finalise the Barrass trade isn’t bad enough, the clown is not only thinking pick 14 for Baker but saying Richmond will want another pick
Never forget Jay Clark was asking on Midweek Tackle a few months back if #3 might be too much to offer for Baker.

The other 2 hosts looked at him like he was a complete moron.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baker clearly isn't their dregs though.

5th in their BnF this year, 6th last year, 4th the year before, 2nd the year before, 6th back in 2020.

That's remarkable consistency for a bloke who has played all over the field for them in that time.
Rememebr where this finished 5th in the worst team

I've got to say that Matt Clarke looks and sounds maybe overworked...and disinterested..

Doesn't look or project strength for our club... I've just had time to watch the presser and i would have thought that the first thing he had to do is not set a value for Tom Barrass at all... Just keep saying that they don't want to trade him... Not mock a guy who's trying to pump up his value!

With liam Baker there's no need to go into any discussion with the media on relative worth... Just tell them that as he's uncontracted and that in the end the preseason draft is an option.

Might have to send BigDon or Woosha in to babysit this

And watch him get picked up again by Richmond
that would be perfect. baker stipulates a 1 year contract and we get him for free next year.

edit: in fact i don't know why that isn't our strategy here. offer a F2 with the PSD threat. they counter with being willing to reselect him, we counter with baker only wanting to sign a 1 year contract so we get him as an UFA next year anyway. all the leverage we need.

that would be perfect. baker stipulates a 1 year contract and we get him for free next year.

edit: in fact i don't know why that isn't our strategy here. offer a F2 with the PSD threat. they counter with being willing to reselect him, we counter with baker only wanting to sign a 1 year contract so we get him as an UFA next year anyway. all the leverage we need.
If we don’t toughen up immediately we will get shafted on the Barrass trade and then shafted again the other way on the Baker trade.

Umm, it's because we clearly didn't offer all that much, which is a good thing.

You really want to offer a high wage to Graham, just to generate a better compo pick for Richmond?

I sure as shit don't.

If the reports of us having excess cap space are true - and it means that WE pay less in picks for Baker then why not?

It seems win-win to me.
Clubs play around and rort the system all the time (apart from us of course).

I'm genuinely curious as to why we don't get in on the action.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back