List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
This year yes. Travaglia/top end mid vs Lindsay/Berry/Allan and F20.

You know Tobie better than anyone on here. Would you trade our F1 to Richmond for 6 (Travaglia) and Baker?

3-FOS
6-Travaglia
14-Lindsay
26-O’Farrell/Mraz*
I don’t see any situation where the tigers trade out of the top 10 this year and into next years draft. The story of this draft is that the Tigers are going to rebuild in one draft.

Tigers could quite easily be going full Nth mode here especially if they don’t get some of these early picks right that they are going to hold. There is definitely a lot of risk to there strategy.

Last edited:

Im out of the loop - where did this Wil Powell rumour start? Is it legit?

Im out of the loop - where did this Wil Powell rumour start? Is it legit?

It's not Wil, it's Al. They're looking to bring Al Powell in to oversee the Christmas break.

Again, why would GC want to trade 6? 6 is highly likely to come in before the Lombardo bid, so they can add two top ~10 talents + whoever else they can bring in. 13 and 23 for Rioli with something coming back would be much better for their purposes. For example. Richmond giving back 43 and 45, values Rioli at pick 12. That feels right.
I thought the same however multiple Gold Coast fans have mentioned that they want players rather than picks this year, and they have multiple academy prospects next year. I personally think the Suns would be better off trading 6 for a future first and giving Richmond what they want out of the rest of their picks. It does seem like they can get more for 13 than Rioli though so maybe they are better off giving up 6 to Richmond and trying to get back an F2 (I know I said 20 but I think an F2 might be better for the Suns).

Are they campaigners or are we pushovers?

I think its the latter.

Clarke doesnt fill me with confidence in anyway either. He gave up 15 minutes into day 1
Or is it that you gave up on Clarke 15 minutes into day 1?

Strange how Clarke has become a whipping boy without actually having done anything. Let’s just hold and wait but I know that’s not your style.

I thought the same however multiple Gold Coast fans have mentioned that they want players rather than picks this year, and they have multiple academy prospects next year. I personally think the Suns would be better off trading 6 for a future first and giving Richmond what they want out of the rest of their picks. It does seem like they can get more for 13 than Rioli though so maybe they are better off giving up 6 to Richmond and trying to get back an F2 (I know I said 20 but I think an F2 might be better for the Suns).
Then let’s hurry up and get the Hawks future first and trade that for 6.

Are they campaigners or are we pushovers?

I think its the latter.

Clarke doesnt fill me with confidence in anyway either. He gave up 15 minutes into day 1
I'm at a point where I want to see a trade go through so I understand this myself but I also want to see trades drag out because it should mean we're looking out for ourselves. I don't see how 14 + F2 for Barrass and trading 14 on for Baker makes any sense for us. We need high picks and / or multiple picks this year. It does feel a bit like everyone (including us) are being sucked into the media valuation a little.

Then let’s hurry up and get the Hawks future first and trade that for 6.
How are we making that happen? Hawks' F1 + our F2? Gold Coast would be all over that like a rash.

Idiots on trade radio with their mega trade proposal.

'Dan Houston for pick 14 and Owies is not enough because he is contracted.'
YET
'Barrass for Baker and a F2 is about right.'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm at a point where I want to see a trade go through so I understand this myself but I also want to see trades drag out because it should mean we're looking out for ourselves. I don't see how 14 + F2 for Barrass and trading 14 on for Baker makes any sense for us. We need high picks and / or multiple picks this year. It does feel a bit like everyone (including us) are being sucked into the media valuation a little.
Im at the point where i actually want one of Pyke/Clarke to like stand up for the club in any shape or forn.

Pyke can start by asking for more money and not accepting Collingwood getting 13 mill more funding then us
Clarke can start by setting some standardsd and sticking to them like Mackie does... basically be a man not a wimp

Oh man, they just read my Liam Baker text.

Unfortunately Clarke seems too much of a nice guy (or at least when dealing with his former team). :sadv1:
I think he makes Mother Teresa seem like a hardass scoundrel to be honest

Just looks a terrible pickup by us. Not sure what credentials he had for the job anyway. He is the one who left Richmond a wooden spoon mess after all

Im at the point where i actually want one of Pyke/Clarke to like stand up for the club in any shape or forn.

Pyke can start by asking for more money and not accepting Collingwood getting 13 mill more funding then us
Clarke can start by setting some standardsd and sticking to them like Mackie does... basically be a man not a wimp
I'm fine with the quiet approach as long as it nets results. Pyke, the S & C department, holding onto pick 1, McQualter, Woosha... all handled very quietly but all looking like very astute moves early days with very little information getting out.

Wished the supporters had more say, Baker for 2nd round pick only. Huge failure if they give up pick 14. He can stay at Richmond if they are demanding pick 14. He is good but only a short term fix.

I'm fine with the quiet approach as long as it nets results. Pyke, the S & C department, holding onto pick 1, McQualter, Woosha... all handled very quietly but all looking like very astute moves early days with very little information getting out.
Quiet approach gets you absolutely nowhere in the AFL. St Kilda proved that in the last 2 weeks

I also dont think they are being quiet. I just think they arnt doing jack shit which is the reality im afraid

I think he makes Mother Teresa seem like a hardass scoundrel to be honest

Just looks a terrible pickup by us. Not sure what credentials he had for the job anyway. He is the one who left Richmond a wooden spoon mess after all
He wasn’t the list manager but carry on.

What was it?
'As a West Coast supporter, how can you continuously throw up the pick we get for Barrass in almost a straight swap for Liam Baker? Neal-Bullen went for #28 and was contracted for another couple of years, yet Baker is uncontracted and Vic media are suggesting he goes for similar value as Houston."

Any trade where #14 gets chewed up for Liam Baker, an uncontracted player, is vomit-inducing for WCE fans. He should be considered for no more than our current 2nd, or a future pick. Anything else would be a mega fail and Clark's position should immediately be under review.'

Wished the supporters had more say, Baker for 2nd round pick only. Huge failure if they give up pick 14. He can stay at Richmond if they are demanding pick 14. He is good but only a short term fix.
I made a thread about prices rising 30 bucks and got told we should do nothing about it and just accept it on this forum

Me thinks most people are happy to have zero opinion and just be a pawn in the AFL machine to me

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back