List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tigers starting to sound like they are expecting to knock out their rebuild in a single draft and that they're entitled to it. Someone needs to remind them that not that long ago they were an absolute rabble and the laughing stock of the competition.
Not that long ago? As in 2024?

As our club has said since 2021 that you can't just ditch your experienced players and bring all the young ones in at once, or you end up like North Melbourne. Who knows how many careers they derailed with bad development, forcing young bodies into AFL before they were ready?

Richmond should be trying to flip some of their picks for some more experience. Hard to do that this trade period, but I'd expect they will try and trade their plethora of second rounders into 2025. That could be a big opportunity for us.

Entitled VFL team.

Tigers starting to sound like they are expecting to knock out their rebuild in a single draft and that they're entitled to it. Someone needs to remind them that not that long ago they were an absolute rabble and the laughing stock of the competition.
For 3 decades

Why do I feel that whenever Cal or Riley talk about stuff the Eagles do, it feels super negative.

Trading out Barass for Baker is bad business. I'm actually fine with recruiting Baker, he's a solid player and easy B22 for us for the next 4 years at least, but Barass is a standout KPD - better than Ben fecking McKay who got North pick 3 compo - and we're just gonna deal him for 14 and get no overs even when under contract?

Carn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do I feel that whenever Cal or Riley talk about stuff the Eagles do, it feels super negative.

Trading out Barass for Baker is bad business. I'm actually fine with recruiting Baker, he's a solid player and easy B22 for us for the next 4 years at least, but Barass is a standout KPD - better than Ben fecking McKay who got North pick 3 compo - and we're just gonna deal him for 14 and get no overs even when under contract?

Carn.
Compo pick system is putrid. Best to do away with it altogether.

Sounds like the 14 we are giving up for Baker looks to be getting on traded for Carlton’s first and my guess 2nd. I reckon that 2nd will be coming out way. The feeling mine getting out of the TB trade is

Out: Barrass
In: Baker, Hawks F2, Blues F2.

You’d hope we are using our F2 to get back into this draft

Sounds like the 14 we are giving up for Baker looks to be getting on traded for Carlton’s first and my guess 2nd. I reckon that 2nd will be coming out way. The feeling mine getting out of the TB trade is

On trade our F2 and one of those for one of GWS' picks?

Its beyond that. Edwards/Burgiel/Culley still sitting on hands without resolutions. Id say only Carlton have this many players waiting but Carlton have been public and open as to why this is. Clarke just sitting around scratching his ass in this regard

How is he sitting on his hands?

He’s literally in the middle of trade period, trying to settle on a draft hand and bring other players in.

Then he’ll look at the positions left and work out who of those without a deal will be retained.

You’re a little jumpy this week champ!

Way less than ideal, if there was another 2nd rounder in there from Richmond thatd make it a bit more palatable.

Agree with the f2, next year we have 2026 and 2027 picks to make sure we can match bids

Yeah, don’t think their 2025 academy kids are suppose to be that high and they have a lot of list spots to fill. But could be a decent option if they have a couple of top kids next year

Maybe Swans 22? I think their kid looks pretty decent and tight for list spots but they might be eyeing the Whitlock twins.

GC look like they might have their own first for 2025 and maybe the Blues and Pies first wound picks so probably covered.

Lions won’t have one.

Way less than ideal, if there was another 2nd rounder in there from Richmond thatd make it a bit more palatable.

Agree with the f2, next year we have 2026 and 2027 picks to make sure we can match bids
Yeah Hawks 33 and Blues F2 would be a better fit imo if it does go down that route

Maybe our F2 for Richmond’s 24 if they are trying to use some picks this year and next.

Baker + 24
For
14 + F2?

Would put the Tigers in a strong position next year to use theirs and our F2 next year to move high up again in next years draft with teams looking for points maybe.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back