List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies if this has been asked before, but would we consider/would the hawks consider the following for Barrass trade

pick 14
Finn Maginness
- 23-year-old has played 45 games in five seasons, including 13 each over the past two campaigns. With a strong midfield group, Maginness has been played out of position, featuring across the half-back and forwards as well as run-with roles, which have been to good effect.

His a father son, but see a lot of correlation between another father/son in Josh Kennedy moving on for a brilliant career. Last guy we (admittedly from WA) who we returned home in a trade, who didn't want to come turned out alright.

We got him!

facepalm-really.gif

Compo pick system is putrid. Best to do away with it altogether.
Really? What's wrong with all other 16 teams paying for a player that the 18th team doesn't want to spend draft capital to attain? Why should the team benefiting from the trade have to give up anything?
Some people are just so selfish!

Those hawks and blues f2s being in the 40s really makes it hard for them to do anything
Just good for us to be able to point match next years NGA and FS and being able to open up our F2 for trade.

Or if those players don’t have good 2025 sit on them and bundle them next year to move higher. Sounds like a lot of academy’s kids next year and a couple father sons and points decrease will make them more valuable if they ain’t too low. Richmond played that waiting game and will get pick 20 out of it.

Have you straightened up after bending over yet?

How. Nothing has happened yet?

Obviously you can wet your pants worryi g about what might happen.

But it's pretty difficult to be bent over before any deal has even been finalised.

You need to cool down and save the melts for when something actually happens.

Talk about jumping at shadows. Geeeeeez.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but would we consider/would the hawks consider the following for Barrass trade

pick 14
Finn Maginness
- 23-year-old has played 45 games in five seasons, including 13 each over the past two campaigns. With a strong midfield group, Maginness has been played out of position, featuring across the half-back and forwards as well as run-with roles, which have been to good effect.

His a father son, but see a lot of correlation between another father/son in Josh Kennedy moving on for a brilliant career. Last guy we (admittedly from WA) who we returned home in a trade, who didn't want to come turned out alright.
I dont want maginness.
Hes only got afl opportunities as a tagger, which is fine but not for me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit late to this party so sorry if this has already been posted. Robertson apparently went to last years Brisbane bnf with intentions of telling them he wanted a trade to West Coast on 700/750k a year but Fagan talked him out of it.

Imagine being talked out of that by a guy who only played you twice the next year, and imagine us paying Deven Robertson over 700k a season. My God.

Sounds like the 14 we are giving up for Baker looks to be getting on traded for Carlton’s first and my guess 2nd. I reckon that 2nd will be coming out way. The feeling mine getting out of the TB trade is

Out: Barrass
In: Baker, Hawks F2, Blues F2.

You’d hope we are using our F2 to get back into this draft
If it was 14 + f2 + f2 I'm OK with that, personally 14 + f1 would be ideal and I hope woosha is cracking heads as we speak. Baker + 2 x f2 is a bit underwhelming because this year's draft is absolutely stacked and we only would have the 1 good pick plus the loss of barass, seems a wasted off season.

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app

A bit late to this party so sorry if this has already been posted. Robertson apparently went to last years Brisbane bnf with intentions of telling them he wanted a trade to West Coast on 700/750k a year but Fagan talked him out of it.

Imagine being talked out of that by a guy who only played you twice the next year, and imagine us paying Deven Robertson over 700k a season. My God.

I'd make him a half back like a starsevich. Unfortunately he has horrible athleticism and a kick worse than Barrass

I'd make him a half back like a starsevich. Unfortunately he has horrible athleticism and a kick worse than Barrass

Seems like an odd decision to make followed by those revelations.

If true (big if given its Goss) but just like English, saved from ourselves

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back