List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:

A bit late to this party so sorry if this has already been posted. Robertson apparently went to last years Brisbane bnf with intentions of telling them he wanted a trade to West Coast on 700/750k a year but Fagan talked him out of it.

Imagine being talked out of that by a guy who only played you twice the next year, and imagine us paying Deven Robertson over 700k a season. My God.

He turned down $700k in addition to more game time?

Maybe Robertson is dumb after all.

"best 23"?

GQYdo21WoAAfQP7.jpg

Having secured Graham I’d be surprised if we made a serious play for Dev. Perhaps if it’s little or no cost.
I'd still take him for the darling pick. Better to have depth knocking the door down in the WAFL than the recent empty well we had to draw upon when injuries hit us. Make him and Graham duke it out every week for the spot.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Having secured Graham I’d be surprised if we made a serious play for Dev. Perhaps if it’s little or no cost.

23 yo PSA boy who was pick #22 in 2019, if we can get him for cheap then it's definitely value

we are desperate for some midfield depth in this team, we rely so heavily on Reid/Kelly/Yeo

Have we not learnt anything. We need to stop giving players long term contracts based on 1 good year.

brother he was 5th in the coleman despite missing a handful of games and playing for a shit team

Geelong were prepared to offer him very similar terms so it's not a West Coast thing

Have we not learnt anything. We need to stop giving players long term contracts based on 1 good year.
And when he leaves because we only offered him 3 years and someone else has offered him 6-7?

5 years is pretty standard these days, and he’s just signed on for 4. Max King has just signed on until the end of 2032 and he’s not half the forward that Waterman is.

No offence but Graham isn't exactly a lock for his position. If you have Graham in another other top 8 team he isn't guaranteed a spot.

With that logic dev is still needed. Have them duke it out. The ceiling on Graham is so low that it wouldn't take a God to dislodge Graham

No offence but Graham isn't exactly a lock for his position. If you have Graham in another other top 8 team he isn't guaranteed a spot.
Add another one to the ‘he was good enough for a triple premiership side but he’s not good enough for a side that’s won 10 games in 3 years’

No offence but Graham isn't exactly a lock for his position. If you have Graham in another top 8 team he isn't guaranteed a spot.

With that logic dev is still needed. Have them duke it out. The ceiling on Graham is so low that it wouldn't take a God to dislodge Graham
IMG_2949.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd still take him for the darling pick. Better to have depth knocking the door down in the WAFL than the recent empty well we had to draw upon when injuries hit us. Make him and Graham duke it out every week for the spot.

I'd rather give midfield minutes to Hutchinson/Hall. Dev blew his chance. His best bet would be trying to get to Richmond now.

Yeo
Reid
Tk
Hewett
Hutchinson
Pick 3
Baker
Graham
Hall
Dev -------- 10th in line
Sheed
Culley

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app

People, we may be overestimating the quality of our 2024 list. A reasonable AFL performer is better than an average WAFL plodder.

I'd rather give midfield minutes to Hutchinson/Hall. Dev blew his chance. His best bet would be trying to get to Richmond now.

Yeo
Reid
Tk
Hewett
Hutchinson
Pick 3
Baker
Graham
Hall
Dev -------- 10th in line
Sheed
Culley

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app
To be fair, its getting close to the time that Yeo and Kelly start to spend a little less time in the middle.
Hewett probably plays shorter stints in the middle, Hutch might not be an inside mid for us, Baker might be better off on a flank, Graham could just push out Cripps, and we might not have pick 3 as it could be split for Travaglia + whatever.
There can be room for another mid in the side if they were good enough

23 yo PSA boy who was pick #22 in 2019, if we can get him for cheap then it's definitely value

we are desperate for some midfield depth in this team, we rely so heavily on Reid/Kelly/Yeo

I’d be happy to have him for #67 or swap F4s. Just don’t think it’s going to happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back