List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting rankings here, IF 5-30 goes the way it says here i wouldnt mind trading futures on draft night

Difference is Parker just kicked three goals in a Grand Final and is actually part of Sydney’s plans. Jack is fourth in line, trending to be fifth, for his own position and has no prospect of a contract extension from us.

You don’t need to have a win for the sake of having a win when we’re talking 61 vs 67.
Mate you know as well as I do that three junk time goals in the last quarter with the game well and truly put to bed doesn’t move the value needle one iota. The chance of Parker getting a contract extension at the Swans as a then 33 year old is the same as Darling’s chance with us.

I’m not saying win for the sake of winning we’re better than that and I wouldn’t want to be a club that approaches draft and trade like that but a reasonable trade that maximises return is in the club’s best interest. At least pick 62 would have given us consecutive picks which is actually very valuable in a rebuilding side in terms of list balance, particularly when those picks are likely to come into the 40s.

Even Darling and F4 for F3 would have at least given us some points to match expected late 2R bids next year. I don’t think anyone could say those two trade suggestions are particularly unreasonable.

As I said no need to be pricks, but let’s look at small things that can improve our rebuild, it all adds up eventually.

Last edited:

Wednesday Trade update
Tigers winning the trade period after getting 10 1st round picks (we presume).
Geelong laughing at the other clubs saying "They wont pick him"
Hawks losing interest and falling asleep in the corner
Eagles waiting for everyone else to tell them what to do.
Saints didn't even turn up
And the Dockers are going around in circles telling the other clubs to look how many 1st rounders they have

Thats it for another action packed day in the trade week

With Richmond doing their very best to go winless next year and our refusal to ask/beg/hush hush for one, I hope this puts to bed the term “Priority picks” ever again.

I don’t know the ins or outs but have we even seek state league assistance the Suns and blues got in 2019 or any modest charity picks?

We must either be too proud or not as shit as I remember in the last three years.

Someone take Petrucelle ffs!

Straight swap for Dev Brisbane.

Doubt Petruccelle receives much, if anything, in a trade so might as well keep him for the last year of his contract

Who knows with a new game plan based on lots of running, McQualter might be able to find a use for Petch that Simpson couldn’t quite unlock

Doubt Petruccelle receives much, if anything, in a trade so might as well keep him for the last year of his contract

Who knows with a new game plan based on lots of running, McQualter might be able to find a use for Petch that Simpson couldn’t quite unlock
Hopefully it's Centre Half WAFL

I'd rather give midfield minutes to Hutchinson/Hall. Dev blew his chance. His best bet would be trying to get to Richmond now.

Yeo
Reid
Tk
Hewett
Hutchinson
Pick 3
Baker
Graham
Hall
Dev -------- 10th in line
Sheed
Culley

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Very few are genuine mids or need to be saved from too much time on ball.

Ideal positioning.

Yeo mid/half back flank
Kelly wing
Reid mid
Hewett half forward flank
Hutch one game sample not enough
Pick 3 won't be ready for FT mid duties for 2 yrs.
Baker mid/forwards
Graham mid
Dev mid
Sheed retired
Culley wafl

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond Nuffies keep banging on about Rioli and Bolton being contracted so you have to pay overs.

When you tell them Baker is uncontracted you get crickets.
Barrass being contracted and one of the best defenders in the comp means nothing either

In fairness to Simmo and Petrucelle, Petrucelle showed something as a midfielder. He'll never be an elite or even above average mid but he's certainly grown over the past couple of years, albeit from a low base and in a terrible team.

Barrass being contracted and one of the best defenders in the comp means nothing either

Don't bother with the circular crap on the Drafts and Trading board, but the Richmond nuffies saying an uncontracted role player is worth more than a contracted KPD is doing my head in.

Don't bother with the circular crap on the Drafts and Trading board, but the Richmond nuffies saying an uncontracted role player is worth more than a contracted KPD is doing my head in.
Completely unrealistic trade values all round. It's why I have faith that our guys will come out of this trade period with a reasonable result.

A bit late to this party so sorry if this has already been posted. Robertson apparently went to last years Brisbane bnf with intentions of telling them he wanted a trade to West Coast on 700/750k a year but Fagan talked him out of it.

Imagine being talked out of that by a guy who only played you twice the next year, and imagine us paying Deven Robertson over 700k a season. My God.

Not true

A strong performance from Sam Lalor who like many others was forced to embrace a change in role for the balance of his team. He played the first half in defense and looked comfortable back there, able to use his physicality to out muscle opponents and picking his moments to leave his opponent and attack the game. In the second half he played his more customary midfield role, dominating at stoppage with his tough tackling and winning four clearances for the half.

Man he's good. Richmond will take him and everyone will see.

3 goals in a GF? I thought you were talking smack until I checked the scores. He kicked 3 junktime goals in the 4th when the game was well and truly buried (hence why I didn't remember). I thought he played terribly when the game was on the line.

I agree that Sydney don't want him to go, which I think is a really poor way to treat a champion trying to extend his career
Well it’s not like he’s rotting in the ressies. He only played 10 games this year, but that was ten in a row from Round 19 through to the Grand Final.

They want him at their disposal more than we want Jack Darling at ours, the situations aren’t quite as similar as they look at first pass (old players going to North).

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back