List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mate you know as well as I do that three junk time goals in the last quarter with the game well and truly put to bed doesn’t move the value needle one iota. The chance of Parker getting a contract extension at the Swans as a then 33 year old is the same as Darling’s chance with us.

I’m not saying win for the sake of winning we’re better than that and I wouldn’t want to be a club that approaches draft and trade like that but a reasonable trade that maximises return is in the club’s best interest. At least pick 62 would have given us consecutive picks which is actually very valuable in a rebuilding side in terms of list balance, particularly when those picks are likely to come into the 40s.

Even Darling and F4 for F3 would have at least given us some points to match expected late 2R bids next year. I don’t think anyone could say those two trade suggestions are particularly unreasonable.

As I said no need to be pricks, but let’s look at small things that can improve our rebuild, it all adds up eventually.
Yeah this is fair, trying to get some points for next year would have been a nice return.

Later pick for baker , let them contract him for a year if they dont accept . Dont waste a pick on him when we dont need him . The bitter taste of losing Barrass for Baker doesnt sit right . Our selectors should know how we supporters feel

Think you better brace yourself.
New coach will want Baker for sure and certain.
The deal will get done and more than likely we will be handing over pick 14 we get from the Hawks.
Trade week is like a soap opera, but the deals will get done.

Doubt Petruccelle receives much, if anything, in a trade so might as well keep him for the last year of his contract

Who knows with a new game plan based on lots of running, McQualter might be able to find a use for Petch that Simpson couldn’t quite unlock
Also petch is a free agent next year .

If we can make him look good and he has a career best year we may get a pick 😆

Maybe we can even get a bidding war 🤪

Also petch is a free agent next year .

If we can make him look good and he has a career best year we may get a pick 😆

Maybe we can even get a bidding war 🤪
We just have to get all the other list mangers reeeaaalllllly drunk

In my opinion I’d take Jaxon Prior over Liam Baker and would suggest he is a more important footballer to us then Baker would be next year. Prior replaces Witherden and Baker replaces Cripps

I know which one I’m most keen on replacing

I don't see any gameplan that suits petch
A tactic I’d like to see is what I call the 150m dash

Petch begins from the defensive kick in square and runs the entire length of the field head down without looking for the ball til he reaches our forward 50. Suspect he would end up free inside the 50. Not because no one can’t catch him but because no one gives a shit Petch is unmanned

I’m coming around to the idea of pick 14 being used as part of a Baker deal.

Our list is shocking, we need to build our number of quality of players (that aren’t 31+yo) and our depth, which means more senior players and more youth. If we traded a single pick for Baker (24), we essentially lose a second round selection this draft to gain a player. But if we involve pick 14, we lose a pick to gain +1 player and +1 pick. In an even draft I see this as advantageous to keep cycling through the list.

He’s not a superstar, but Baker can bring on field leadership to steer McQualter’s ship to the game day style he wants. We looked completely confused on the field at times this year, so Graham and Baker will greatly help here.
It should be unless the hawks pay up, you'll be at west coast next year so prepare to rent it out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee you make some stupid comments
You think we need a HFF over a HB who can use the ball ?

If everyone here wants ball movers off half back and wingers, and not one person has suggested we draft a half forward I’d suggest our list strategy should match this when it comes to recruitment too… I mean if we can see it, why can’t Clarke ?

You think we need a HFF over a HB who can use the ball ?

If everyone here wants ball movers off half back and wingers, and not one person has suggested we draft a half forward I’d suggest our list strategy should match this when it comes to recruitment too… I mean if we can see it, why can’t Clarke ?

No I think WC need a HB who can use the ball. But if you think Prior is that person, then you need to rethink whether you have the right person in mind

Richmond are at the centre of a frustrating hold-up in this year’s trade period as they refuse to budge on three of the biggest deals of 2024.

The Tigers are negotiating deals to trade out Liam Baker, Shai Bolton and Daniel Rioli to West Coast, Fremantle and Gold Coast respectively.

It could lead Adem Yze’s team with an incredible draft hand, but they’re haggling over picks has haltered any deals with no movement on a stagnant Wednesday frustrating pundits.

Fremantle are believed to have tabled two of their three first-round draft picks in exchange for Bolton — who still has four years to run on a deal at Punt Road.

They want to hand over picks No.10 and No.18, while the Tigers are understood to want No.10 and No.11 as they look to maximise the loss of the 2022 All-Australian.

“A few of the players are contracted and contracted for a long period of time so it’s really on the club’s that they’ve chosen to come to us,” a defiant Richmond list boss Blair Hartley told reporters on Monday.

Fremantle general manager of football talent, strategy and special projects Peter Bell said the Dockers had made a strong offer to Richmond for Bolton as talks remain at a stalemate between the clubs.

The Game AFL 2024

[PLAYERCARD]Shai Bolton[/PLAYERCARD].
Shai Bolton. Credit: Josh Chadwick/Getty Images
“We’ve gone in with what we consider to be a really strong offer. As everyone’s aware the draft is very strong, so the offer we’ve put forward is strong on any given year, but particularly this year we believe it to be a strong offer,” Bell told Trade Radio.

“There’s a fair amount of negotiation to go ... hopefully from a Fremantle perspective we can make it work.”

Peter Bell has revealed Fremantle have made a strong offer to Richmond for contracted star [PLAYERCARD]Shai Bolton[/PLAYERCARD] as talks remain at a stalemate between the Dockers and Tigers.

AFLFreo put in ‘strong offer’ to Tigers for Shai Bolton

Mitchell Woodcock
[PLAYERCARD]David Mundy[/PLAYERCARD] says Bolton could be the key to a Dockers Premiership.

AFLMundy says Bolton could be final piece in Freo flag push​

Mitchell Woodcock

West Coast recruit [PLAYERCARD]Jack Graham[/PLAYERCARD] conceded [PLAYERCARD]Andrew McQualter[/PLAYERCARD]’s appointment as coach and the chance to continue to play alongside good friend [PLAYERCARD]Liam Baker[/PLAYERCARD] influenced his decision to play at the Eagles.

exclusive
AFLGraham reveals new coach ‘Mini’ had huge say in Eagles move​

Mitchell Woodcock

Top WA draftee Bo Allan — who won a premiership with Fremantle’s WAFL affiliate Peel Thunder — is expected to fall around pick No.11 in the draft and could be why the Dockers want to hold onto the selection.

Richmond also want a first-round pick for out-of-contract vice-captain Liam Baker, who is looking to move to West Coast after they announced former Tigers midfield assistant Andrew McQualter as their new coach.

[PLAYERCARD]Liam Baker[/PLAYERCARD] wants to be at West Coast next season.
Liam Baker wants to be at West Coast next season. Credit: Will Russell/AFL Photos
West Coast only have pick No.3 at this stage and while they are open to splitting that selection, it’s not likely to be part of a deal for Baker unless the Tigers can package up a reasonable pick in return for the midfielder.

This leaves West Coast needing a deal for sending Tom Barrass to Hawthorn to go through before they can land Baker, with negotiations continuing on that front.

West Coast are believed to want more than the Hawks’ pick No.14 and while they are unlikely to get another first-round pick for the 29-year-old defender, a future second-round pick or this year’s second-round selection (currently pick No.33) could be part of the package.

The Tigers are also haggling with Gold Coast over the price for recently-crowned club champion Daniel Rioli, with the Suns’ pick No.6 not enough at this stage to get the deal across the line.

Richmond coach [PLAYERCARD]Adem Yze[/PLAYERCARD].
Richmond coach Adem Yze. Credit: Darrian Traynor/Getty Images
Gold Coast seemingly hold the cards when it comes to a trade for Port Adelaide’s Dan Houston, with both Carlton and Collingwood chasing their pick No.13 to on-trade to the Power for the two-time All-Australian.

Richmond already hold picks 1, 24, 32, 42, 43, 45, 51, 61, 70 and 76 in this year’s draft.

All talk for Pick 3 for Baker can go away now. Happy days.

Pick 14 + F2/Pick 31 For TB

What more could tuggas want?

Pick 14 should not be on the table for Baker full stop!!!

Pick 23 + Hawks F2 + Wce F2 for Baker is plenty.

Everyone should just walk away from the Tigers leaving them holding nothing but their dick in their hand.

Both players taken from the same draft 14 picks apart, both played just shy of 300 games for their respective clubs, both incredibly durable, both (reportedly) on similar contracts p.a., both offered multi year deals to move interstate and Jack comfortably played more games this year and playing a far more crucial position.

We don’t have to be w*nkers but a little bit of backbone wouldn’t hurt.

This!!!! He's a ****ing big bodied near 300 gamer, who is our second highest scoring forward going to a club that's been gifted first rounder picks out the ****ing ass. Club is gutless and has no third perspective.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back