List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
The top end of this draft is really hard to judge.

• Tauru was late R2 earlier this year, now he's in contention for top 10 or even top 5.
  • Lalor was rated about pick 10, now he might go pick 1.
  • Some people have Smillie, Draper or M Reid outside the top 10.

I also reckon there are some serious talents that will go well outside the first round.

Still, earlier picks have more options.

Read Norf are falling pretty hard for Tauru.

Maybe why they are into splitting pick 2.

I’m sorry, but 3,14 and Barrass is a hell of a lot better than 6,18,24 and Baker to me.
Yes, because in this scenario we keep Barrass and also get Pick 14 for free. I think that’s everyone’s ideal scenario but it’s hardly on the table.

I’m sorry, but 3,14 and Barrass is a hell of a lot better than 6,18,24 and Baker to me.

Days ago we were mostly all saying Barrass and a F2 for 14 and a F1, now we’re just settling for 14 and scraps

We’re also seemingly trying to justify 14 for Baker because we might get a pick back (which will end up in the 30’s btw)

14 is the sweet spot of this draft, someone great is going to slide and guys like Hotton, Lindsay, Trainor and Allan could be there too.

Seems like we always try and talk ourselves into being content when deep down we know our club settles way too much.

You’ve made the same logic error Mattman did

We don’t have 14 and Barrass

We have 14 or Barrass

That's interesting and seems more in line with the 'wait and see' response I got. Maybe we're now having to throw something else in to get 24 coming back our way.
I’m only speculating here but it wouldn’t surprise me if the Richmond interest in Culley may factor into this deal.

You know who wouldn't need to play in other positions day 1? Sid Draper, and maybe Harvey Langford. Jagga also wouldn't be plonked in another position day 1
We want to get the most out of whoever we draft over the next 15 years. Day one is just the starting point.

I’m only speculating here but it wouldn’t surprise me if the Richmond interest in Culley may factor into this deal.

Must be something in that otherwise surely Culley has signed on.
Would be nice if the trades just hurry up.

Must be something in that otherwise surely Culley has signed on.
Would be nice if the trades just hurry up.
I have hope for Culley, especially as he progresses further and further from the knee injury, but surely he is not making a meaningful difference in a trade at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of us might not be experts or do it for a crust.

But surely you don't have to be an expert to say pick 14 which could be 17 and 33 which could be 38 is not a good deal for a contracted A grade KPD.

Likewise with Baker.
Most on here can see that 14 for an uncontracted Bakers is overs.
Especially when we can just offer our second.

People are talking like its rocket science, it really isn't.

Assuming these trades happen of course.

100%

Will Day come on down.

View attachment 2137126

Played how many seasons at half back before transitioning into the midfield this season?

Can see Toby taking a very similar route.
He is exactly the player I thought of watching him at the start of the year. No doubt this is the plan for him if we select him. Also means I wouldn’t be against getting Harry Oliver with 24/26, they would complement each other nicely in the meantime.

Yes, because in this scenario we keep Barrass and also get Pick 14 for free. I think that’s everyone’s ideal scenario but it’s hardly on the table.
I'm a little disappointed that we haven't tried this with pick 1

It's because Gold Coast simply don't value high draft picks the same way other clubs do, due to their academy.

Hardwick is probably exerting pressure on the recruiting staff, I want Rioli no matter what it costs .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You know who wouldn't need to play in other positions day 1? Sid Draper and Harvey Langford. Jagga also wouldn't be plonked in another position day 1
You are spot on with that - Draper, Jagga and Langford would all play in the guts at WAFL on day 1.

Congratulations again, wonderful insights thinking these players will be AFL ready in March 2025!

If you stated Smillie, you might have had some credibility. Even then, Smillie may not be ready on day 1.

Trade values according to the media are all over the place and the variances defy rational explanation
• Dan Rioli (16/4/97 - Contracted) - pick 6 considered the minimum with suggestions that pick 23, or even 13, might need to be added
That Rioli sticker certainly pumps up the value. Unless your Rioli isn't Melbourne based.

I say we keep Barrass and take pick 14 to the draft.
I say we keep Barrass, trade pick 14 to the Saints for both picks 7 and 8. We all know that 13 and 14 as this is the sweet spot and that is why the Suns are garnering so much interest.

Because Hawthorn who Barrass has nominated don't have a better pick than 14. Unless Barrass decides he wants to go to any club then we are dealing with Pick 14
Hawks currently have 14 as their best pick. Nothing stopping them from shopping around for a better pick. But it seems we aren't demanding they do that so, looks like P14 +??

Because nothing's happened!

Bladders bursting all over the place, others shouting "just wait, you'll see!" But the only goals have been Team Yellow's goal when we got bent over by free agency compo pushing our picks back (and no PP), and Team Dry sheets have Woosha to put things right.

Darling for a packet of chips and Graham for free slammed into the post. I'm not giving Team Yellow a point because we didn't get the right pick in the 60s for Darling

I still expect Team Yellow to win and have stocked up on lube for the Baker and Barrass trades.
The assessment is about our performance through trade week. Given Woosha isn't on board until the 4th Nov, he can't be included. Therefore the correct score is 1-0 to the yellow sheets

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back