List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sometimes a good nights sleep and a dose of common sense can help in trade and draft season.

We have 5 major issues facing Pyke.
1. The men's list is in a poor state of affairs thanks to having gone and trying to back up after 2018. It did not eventuate however we were late by at least a season coming to the that conclusion. As such, the list has holes you could drive a Mac truck through. Good news, we started addressing it last year.

2. We have agreed to a cluster fcuk with the WAFL set up and thanks to King Nessie I, relationships had been strained and the WAFL clubs despised us. He has also not invested the personnel at the to address development. We have sucked in development for over 6 years. We really need an even playing field meaning the vAFL have got to abandon the VFL and structure up an AFL Reserves competition. That will cost the AFL big $$ and the only beneficiaries are the SA and WA meaning it is a low priority. So Woosher has been brought in to try to help and Pyke has at least started the WAFC discussions and get some focus on development (along with Hurn).

3.The Eagles women have had a pathetic start to the competition and I have a personal view that King Nessie I did not prioritise it soon enough. Playing at those crap spectator facilities at Lathlain Park is a major deterrent and not sure what will happen there (we probably need to work with the Dockers and WAFC to develop a boutique 20,000 stadium for WAFL and Women's football. At least Daisy is now on board (great appointment and look at the results).

4. Our men have been uncompetitive for too long. It will soon materially start to impact memberships, sponsorships and long term allegiances in kids growing up in WA. Successful clubs get the locals interested and Freo are playing better football and offering more hope. We need to rectify that and start rising up from the bottom of the ladder.

5. Harley. We have a generation talent and a group led by Noah Long called "Us Young Boys" that re offering hope. But the speed of the improvement will need addressing as the "complicated" Kane draft rules is really compromising us and the outcome is that it is slower for clubs to rise off the bottom. Finishing last in 2023 our first 2 natural picks were at 1 and 30 and not much will change in 2024. Therefore, we need to get Harley really engaged in our programme and be wanting to commit. He needs help with mature bodies in the midfield and Yeo, Sheed and Kelly are not the answer.

Stepping back, if we only trade out Barrass and Darling, we take to the draft 3, 14, 26, 63 and 68 (assuming our sweetener for the Barrass trade is in 2025).

Pick who you want at those levels but a reasonable haul would be
3 - FOS or Draper or Lalor
14 - Lindsay or Berry or Allan
26 - Moraes or Gross or O'Farrell
(please do not come back with who you personally would take, you are missing the point)

If eaglevision has the correct intel (and half the posters are starting to wet the bed), we do the following
3 for 6 and 18
14 for Baker and 24
Barrass for 14 and F2

We take to the draft
6 - Travaglia or a sliding mid like Lalor or Draper or Smillie
18 - Hynes or Lindsay
24 - Gross or Oliver
26 - Moraes or Gross or O'Farrell
plus we bring in Baker and Graham to help give us a more competitive unit and to provide Harley with the midfield support we need.

Step back. Take a cold shower and reflect. We improve our list immediately and for the long term. We also strengthened our future hand. It is a decent outcome. Maybe not what everyone wants but it will fix a number of issues Pyke and co are facing and we are getting frustrated at.

Would I prefer Lindsay to Baker plus Gross/Oliver? Yes but not by that much of a margin.

Here is a possible list by age by position: -

View attachment 2137080
It will mean in 2025 :

1. Harley gets less banged up and can reduce his midfield minutes to be the burst player who runs through the guts.
  2. We will still have 55% of our list 22 and under which is extremely high
  3. We will be able to go to Optus and not have our ar$eholes handed at the end of the second quarter. We may even win 6 games and start to get a game plan that is contemporary.
  4. We may start to look at the WAFL games and not cringe
Im good with this.
If we turn Barrass into Baker and 2x 2nd rounders(including pick 24), then split 3 into 6+18(which isnt a bad deal at all imo) thatd be a decent result.

I think some of us are getting married to the idea that we need 1st rounders, the draft is meant to be reasonably even, its not a huge deal to take picks in the 20s

Is he a recruiter for the Eagles?
I love these 'ITKs', and respect their commitment to posting. Sure it's almost all bullshit but it's great either way, they add colour to the board.

I do find it funny that neither Bond nor Phil has called the other out. Phil has certainly provided enough information for someone even tangentially related to the club to guess his identity - but then again - has he?

Because, of course, the scoundrel has been deliberately 'posting misinformation' to throw other recruiters off the scent!

If I was to seed them on likelihood of legitimacy it would be:

(1) Bond

He has been around for ages, no club affiliation on BF, speaks in riddles, undercover at WCE - I mean James Bond - love that shit. Writes like a footballer / normal person or senior partner/corpo (poorly).

He's defensive about WCE drafting/list management. Offers nothing falsifiable, doesn't regularly position himself for likes or backstop future posts.

Odds on he has some (however tangential) relationship, past or present to WCE.

Is he a recruiter? Hmm how about this, do you think he's a recruiter?

(2) Phil

Phil is an incredible character, written with uncommon élan and in full sentences. Even if the tenor of the character is substantively true, he writes with the creativity of an unfulfilled English teacher.

Some of my favourites:
  • Two VPNs
  • Chewing out Nisbett
  • Deliberate misinformation
  • Off the Richmond job
  • High flying career in Psychology, Business or Finance (or!), player psych assessments and now sort of actual player trading now.
  • NDA
  • 'Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in'

I love the 80s corpo flair - backroom deals, power plays and colourful dealmakers. In my shortish career I've had the misfortune of being involved, in one way or another, with corp law, politics, PE, tech and resources - met plenty of over comp'd execs - and nobody talks like this.

So is he legit? I reckon there's a kernel of truth - like he's an organisational psych or coach who may touched on these various areas over a career.

Does it matter? I don't think so. If there's one thing I learned from my Intelligence days, running assets out of the Panjsher, it's that everybody lies a little - just make it entertaining.

Stare Down Mark Wahlberg GIF

I love these 'ITKs', and respect their commitment to posting. Sure it's almost all bullshit but it's great either way, they add colour to the board.

I do find it funny that neither Bond nor Phil has called the other out. Phil has certainly provided enough information for someone even tangentially related to the club to guess his identity - but then again - has he?

Because, of course, the scoundrel has been deliberately 'posting misinformation' to throw other recruiters off the scent!

(1) Bond

He has been around for ages, no club affiliation on BF, speaks in riddles, undercover at WCE - I mean James Bond - love that shit. Writes like a footballer / normal person or senior partner/corpo (poorly).

He's defensive about WCE drafting/list management. Offers nothing falsifiable, doesn't regularly position himself for likes or backstop future posts.

(2) Phil

Phil is an incredible character, written with uncommon élan and in full sentences. Even if the tenor of the character is substantively true, he writes with the creativity of an unfulfilled English teacher.

Some of my favourites:
  • Two VPNs
  • Chewing out Nisbett
  • Off the Richmond job
  • High flying career in Psychology, Business or Finance (or!), player psych assessments and now sort of actual player trading now.
  • NDA

I love the 80s corpo flair - backroom deals, power plays and colourful dealmakers. In my shortish career I've had the misfortune of being involved, in one way or another, with corp law, politics, PE, tech and resources - met plenty of over comp'd execs - and nobody talks like this.

So is he legit? I reckon there's a kernel of truth - like he's an organisational psych or coach who may touched on these various areas over a career.

Does it matter? I don't think so. If there's one thing I learned from my Intelligence days, running assets out of the Panjsher, it's that everybody lies a little - just make it entertaining.

Maximum kudos for this post. Brilliantly accurate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone ever gotten anything good for the forever hyped first pick of day two?

We just kept it last year.

I looked at this last year

The first time they split the draft (2018) we split the Lycett compo pick which became 23 into 27 and 32 which was a decent return (If you kinda ignore what we did with those picks - O’Neill and Williams)

Port received a F2 (tied to Collingwood) from Brisbane in 2019 so the Lions could move from 23 to 22 to get Robertson

In 2020 the draft went back to one night due to covid

Fremantle kept it in 2021 to take Johnson rejecting Hawthorn’s offer of a F2 to move from 23 to 21

In 2022, GWS got the first night 2 from Richmond (who got it from North) before the draft as part of the Taranto trade. On the night they kept it to take Gruzewski

And last year we held it to make it a Reid-Reid double after receiving only modest offers for it

In short, if we get 24 we could possibly expect a F2 to move back a few spots on draft night

(1) Bond

(2) Phil

Some of my favourites:
  • Two VPNs
  • Chewing out Nisbett
  • Off the Richmond job
  • NDA

Reads like bigfooty.inc

Im good with this.
If we turn Barrass into Baker and 2x 2nd rounders(including pick 24), then split 3 into 6+18(which isnt a bad deal at all imo) thatd be a decent result.

I think some of us are getting married to the idea that we need 1st rounders, the draft is meant to be reasonably even, its not a huge deal to take picks in the 20s
I think it’s more so that some of us, whether that’s rightly or wrongly, believe there’s a pocket of talent in that 11-16 range, think Tauru, Lindsay, Berry, that sits above the 17+ range and that trading out of this pocket whilst also taking a hit on your high first rounder isn’t in the clubs long term best interest.

I think that’s true but I also think it’s on mcqualter now. You can’t bring a coach in, say take us to the promised land then hamstring him and say no do it the way we tell you. He clearly has a plan, let him execute in the way he envisions and if he fails, he gets the arse.

I think it’s more so that some of us, whether that’s rightly or wrongly, believe there’s a pocket of talent in that 11-16 range, think Tauru, Lindsay, Berry, that sits above the 17+ range and that trading out of this pocket whilst also taking a hit on your high first rounder isn’t in the clubs long term best interest.

I think that’s true but I also think it’s on mcqualter now. You can’t bring a coach in, say take us to the promised land then hamstring him and say no do it the way we tell you. He clearly has a plan, let him execute in the way he envisions and if he fails, he gets the arse.
I agree, but if we are getting Baker(which IS happening at this stage) its not really realistic.
I think Tauru seems like a top 6 pick, we are giving up a chance at Lindsay most likely.
Those 20s picks will flesh out the list a bit with roles we lack, and we will still get a decent kid at 18

Id rather use our f1 to get back into the draft if we wanted another early pick.
F1 for one of the top 7 picks and potentially move one of the 20s picks into next year.

Draft is meant to be relatively even, the difference between 14 and 18 might be smaller than we think

Im good with this.

You would've traded pick 1 last year for 2 or 3 picks in the 20's and missed out on reid?

Or pick 3 in 2001 and missed out on Judd which would've caused us to miss out on Kennedy?

Honestly sometimes I think you're a closet Freo supporter cause that's the shit they would have done.

Yep, just do what I do and tune in late afternoon on Wednesday.

Meanwhile you could tune into trade radio if you fancy becoming suicidal and listen to crap for 10 minutes before you “Install a Rheem”

Or you could just keep refreshing the AFL app to read that even thought absolutely nothing has been done for the last 72 hours “There is plenty of things happening behind the scenes”
I listened to afl trade radio and found out Continental tyres are made in Germany and the mosted tested tyre in the world .

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back