List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Even Murphy Reid is going in some mocks around 17/18 imagine if he was still there because teams are taking talls but we gave up the pick for Baker.
Jagga Smith and Murphy Reid would be huge if we kept 3&14.
I’d seriously be trying to call Tigers bluff with just a second rounder.
A bit late on that. Clarke spread his cheeks apart on day 1 on that one

"I think some of us are getting married to the idea we need first rounders."

"It's not a huge deal to take picks in the 20s"

I'm not reaching at all, you never said exclusively.

Your implications are and have been through this whole thread that you'd split the top picks for lower picks and in doing so you would have missed out on players that delivered us and other teams premierships.

Anyway, I disagree with your entire sentiment, I wouldn't split 3 and I am glad we didn't split 1 last year and 3 in 2001.

You have no guarantee travaglia is still there at pick 6.
You want him you keep 3.
Mate take 2 seconds and think about what I said.
I was agreeing with a trade that ends up with us having 2 first rounders!!

Please don't respond to me again with dumb comments

I don’t think anyone is that interested in internet clout on an AFL forum to spend the time writing those posts imo
You’re right, I’m just here for the respectful intelligent debate.

I wouldn't call myself an ITK more of a OTE (on the edge)

I have about 20 pm's with posters on this board where I share more than I do on here.

I have info I'm certain on and other info where I'm sceptical but I think that it's all part of the game.

I'd never post something if I didn't believe it's true at the time. I think my track record speaks for itself.
You always have me on the edge.

Kate Mckinnon Flirt GIF by Saturday Night Live

Surely the hold up on Barrass/Baker getting moved means that its possible that we are waiting for other draft capital (not from Hawthorn/Richmond) to be acquired by those clubs to trade onto us.

We most likely have been in talks with Hawthorn and Richmond for months beforehand, and the fact there is no movement means that whatever they have, or are offering, is not good enough for us.

This delay in moves could be a good thing..... rather than us just bending over and taking it at 9am on day 1 of trade week.

Phil has made some pretty sizeable posts regarding his time not only at West Coast but at Carlton and Essendon too.

I don’t think anyone is that interested in internet clout on an AFL forum to spend the time writing those posts if they’re just fake imo
Think you under estimate what a narcissist on the internet can claim to be. I can't believe anyone would actually think Phil is legit.

His BS has more holes then Swiss cheese.

Apart from showing a complete erratic and short sighted opinion on players we've drafted, which is the opposite of how a recruiter sees the game my favourite was when he was an Essendon employee sitting in on interviews... Until draft night when he was on the phone negotiating trades lmao.. in fact read most of his posts over the years and he basically had the role of secret list manager of Carlton and dons. Righto.

Each to their own what they believe on the internet I guess, but just fyi I have a Nigerian prince cousin who just needs to borrow some money briefly to take care of some loose ends, but no worries you will get all back and more. Pm me for the deets.

Can't account for an ACL. For the mst part, they're not contact injuries.

I would refute that I reckon at least half are where body strength, or lack thereof, plays a part in them.
I did mine when I was tackled and that was at age 24.

Seen too many as a coach and a lot happen with the body being tackled as the legs the get buckled under as a result of the tackle.

I do worry going forward with the AFL clamping down on sling tackles and protecting the head injuries ( not saying thats bad thing ), that we will see a trending in the increase in knee injuries as players are tackled and folded down to protect the head hitting the ground , but making the knees much more vulnerable.

Happened in the NFL and it's a serious trending issue and concern, when the NFL clamped down on head high hits and players lowered their strike zones, then the spate of popped kneed increasing.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trading back for Chesser and Burgel haha man Ah well I guess if you keep trying the same thing over and over again you'll eventually get a different results. Right?

ThRoW mORe DaRtS aT tHe BoArD

Although it's looking like Burgiel is a miss and the drafting of Barnett enrages a lot on here but if you look at the 2022 draft from Round 2 onwards, it is already looking diabolical. The best of the lot might actually be Noah Long who was the second last pick.

The biggest LOL in this draft is the Swans pulling a fast one at Pick 20 on the Giants by swiping Konstanty knowing they were about to pick him. Fast forward two years and he's about to be delisted without playing a game.

I would refute that I reckon at least half are where body strength, or lack thereof, plays a part in them.
I did mine when I was tackled and that was at age 24.

Seen too many as a coach and a lot happen with the body being tackled as the legs the get buckled under as a result of the tackle.

I do worry going forward with the AFL clamping down on sling tackles and protecting the head injuries ( not saying thats bad thing ), that we will see a trending in the increase in knee injuries as players are tackled and folded down to protect the head hitting the ground , but making the knees much more vulnerable.

Happened in the NFL and it's a serious trending issue and concern, when the NFL clamped down on head high hits and players lowered their strike zones, then the spate of popped kneed increasing.
I'm not a medical person, so I can't speak about the biomechanics of an acl.

But we had 5 players go down with ACL's this year. Plus Ashcroft last year. As well as Hipwood and Rayner in recent years past.

Only one was from actual contact to the leg and knee. And that was Keidean Coleman. Trying to clear a ball from halfback.

Most of the rest were players landing in what looked like routine positions. Ashcroft was from side on side body contact that looked pretty inocuos.

My point is ACL's aren't typically an injury that's the result of continual bash and crash inside. Shoulder injuries are much for typical for players inside. Both Ashcroft boys have had shoulder surgery before even being drafted.

Does anyone remember that guy in GD that pretended to be rich for ages and ended up being some nobody? I forget his name. The internet does bring out the weirdos though.

Was that Eagle87?

Had a very particular writing style....lots of dot dot dots.....used to play for Subi.....lives in Bangkok and is rich now.....

Phil absolutely put me off when he said that we didn't sign King because of his fainting episode, and that we signed McQualter just to get Graham and Baker.

I mean what kind of ****ing loser amateur club would do that? Makes no sense.
Shares the account with his son when he got called on something was another tell.

Has anyone ever gotten anything good for the forever hyped first pick of day two?

We just kept it last year.
Exactly

People saying we will get top shelf offers wet the bed 3 years ago and have subsequently flooded their nans downstairs basement in the time since

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back