List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In: 12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t see why people are melting with a Full Draft Hand for Barrass. (4th Rounder’s will be pretty worthless next year)

If those 3 picks in theory net us Warner for Barrass would you call that a win?

I was actually talking to my wife about instant gratification this morning and I think it’s on full show. People just don’t want to wait, they want there shiny new toy now.

If that shiny new toy is Warner in a year well I don’t think people will be melting then. (He’s will also be cheap seeing as he’s OOC)
If we want Warner we tell him now he will need to nominate PSD so we can use our picks getting some more elite talent to surround you with

Jokes on you Hawk's!

Tom has a bad back and will be 43 going into next year HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
As soon as Tom said he wanted out this was all on him . Look at a lot of our last bunch hitting his age . Nic Nat . Shuey . Yeo . McGovern. In moneyball terms getting all hawks draft hand for him is start the car stuff .

Smith will be an absolute star for 10 more years. Heaps of players do ACLs and are fine. The off field stuff is overblown because of his online persona, and it’ll get quashed down in Geelong anyway.

Geelong have basically rebuilt their midfield:
Bruhn, Smith, Bowes, Clark

With pick 18 and 17
Smith can't kick the footy. He can run though - will grant him that.

Hawks will have a tougher draw next season so that could play into things. Premiership odds today mean **** all.

Now let's take DGB for free.

Right, before I go for drinks i'll give a few extra details.

We couldn't take Owies as a DFA as Carlton were willing to offer him a 1 year deal and with all the players Richmond were losing they would have taken him in the PSD or he entered the ND and was likely still picked up before we had an opportunity to use a third pick on him. The picks the club had at that part of the draft were considered negligible. Players can't just delist themselves if there is even a 1 year offer on the table on small money.

Someone overcommitted to Baker which put us on the backfoot from the beginning. People need to understand though that if a deal wasn't done he would have re-signed with Richmond. Baker and Bolton do not get along and refused to be at the same club next year. Baker pulled a Judd and said he would only come if the Tigers were adequately compensated and Graham came as well. I'm still very unhappy with the trade however it really was a rock and a hard place situation. Mini was adamant about Graham and Baker and so was Clarke. I was pulled out of that one. So the moment we weren't able to get the tigers band 3 compo for Graham and he was confirmed as coming Richmond held the whip hand.

If Sydney won the grand final pick 3 and our future first was going to Sydney for Warner and what is now pick 22.

Darling was a goodwill trade (for Jack, not north)

The club as it stands currently will be taking minimal picks in this draft and next year will have up to 4 first round picks to use / trade as well as multiple seconds and thirds. Next years draft has imo better top end talents but when you take all the club tied players out nowhere near the depth.

I firmly believe in the depth of this draft and that all of the top picks have major question marks. Also a few who don't want to come to WA. They don't outright come and say it, but you know, particularly when you are talking to them and their families.

I really think pick 3 for 12 & 14 in this draft isn't a bad trade. It's not exceptional, but it's not a bad trade. The issue is that 14 was used instantly for Baker and I think this is what people (including myself) aren't happy with. Freo ****ed us as well on multiple accounts. If the Bolton trade went through first I firmly believe we could have upgraded our pick 26 as part of the deal.

All in all it's not horrendous but it's not great or even good. However if we didn't secure Warner, pick 3 was going to end up being split either way.

The club isn't expecting miracles next year but is expecting enough wins and positivity to be able to start attracting higher level established talent.

Now we hopefully get to death ride the hawks and they finish with 3-4 less wins with teams putting a lot more effort into countering them and a much tougher draw.

I'll answer questions in regards to some of the players chased and even some we had commitments from before bigger deals came over the top and they went elsewhere.

Richmond are going to go hard for pick 2.

Oh and lastly Paul Connors is a complete campaigner.

Apologies my hands were tied and all I ended up landing at the club was Matt Owies, however I hope getting significantly more than what was originally offered and even on the table with 30-40 minutes left to go on the Barrass deal helps make up for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks aren’t finishing 1st. Can see them in the 8 - 10th range. Even if it’s not all those hawks picks involved for Warner it still means we can bring on Warner & still have picks to use for other kids this year or next.
I think you will find the early round picks will blow out a bit in next years draft

Wish Steven King didn’t have a stroke now.

Sliding Dawes moment

Players nominate the club? Just say Nowies

The whingers always whinge.

This is outstanding.

Context. Would you be happy trading out your entire 2025 draft hand, your 1st, 2nd AND 3rd round picks for a 29 yr old fullback with recent back issues.

Geez. That is a huge amount to pay. HUGE

And people think meh.? Lol!

Hawtborn just traded out their entire original 2025 draft hand, for one player.

Lets shoot over and get Kane's opinion on this deal shall we..... ;) :joycat:

Thank U GIF
Hawthorn effectively traded 14 + F3 for Barrass + F4

If we want Warner we tell him now he will need to nominate PSD so we can use our picks getting some more elite talent to surround you with
Wont happen but lets say it does. Tigers would grab him without hesitation..We wont have pick 1 in the PSD next year.
We trade for him. If this trade period has demonstrated anything at all it is that we dont have a ruthless bone in our frail body and wouldnt dream of threatening PSD.

WCE_phil - I was pretty keen on getting Robertson across. Would have thought he would be cheap given that he's clearly on the periphery at Brisbane.

What happened there?

Im going for drinks, will answer questions tomorrow. Send me private messages and no i'm not getting back to 100 people. I'll just leave it at the club was far less interested in landing him than Brisbane were in trading him. They wanted a second round pick.

Hawks aren’t finishing 1st. Can see them in the 8 - 10th range. Even if it’s not all those hawks picks involved for Warner it still means we can bring on Warner & still have picks to use for other kids this year or next.
Hawthorn will drop back to the bottom 4 next year taking the Eagles 2024 position. Next time we meet, Waterman will kick 10 goals on Barrass.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back