List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In: 12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny thing is, if we had given up F1, F2 and F3 for a 29 year old defender with chronic back injuries we all know you’d be complaining that we paid overs.
Depends on if we're in our premiership window or not.
Obviously not in our current state especially with our future picks being pretty valuable.

Are you new to sports?

Just wondering if the concept of a new coach moving to a struggling club and surrounding himself with people he knows and trusts off the field, as well as brining in mature/veterans that he can rely on to follow his plan and set a standard for an underachieving and somewhat uninspired group is entirely alien to you.

Also how many alleged turds could you munch on to satisfy your appetite you reckon? Gobbling down a whole bunch from "trusted sources". C'mon man, you used to be cool.

Firstly, yes :shrug:

It's alien to me when it pisses off a large chunk of your fanbase and potentially cooks your rebuild plans.

You wanna bring mates over, fine, but not at the expense of the bigger picture, which is what seemingly happened to an extent.

Funny thing is, if we had given up F1, F2 and F3 for a 29 year old defender with chronic back injuries we all know you’d be complaining that we paid overs.

All about context. If we thought that player (who was contracted for the next 3 years mind you) was the final piece for a premiership puzzle you'd accept paying overs.

Also keep in mind Hawthorn from their starting draft position lost pick 14 and slid from a F3 to F4 for a key back contracted for 3 years. Not a bad result. They still have F1 and F2.

Last edited:
Guys your losing it again ....

We stuffed up , in a sick way it was entertaining like a horror movie .

The club will learn from this , first change in leadership and list management for 35 years
not surprising we lost trade period.

Brought in experienced players into the team , base to have the team more competitive .
Pick 12 and 26 plus possibly another top twenty pick this draft great opportunity 2025 draft also thanks to Tommy Barrass.

Move forward .

One big question I have is, why didn’t we do the Baker deal seperately? They didn’t contribute to the pick 3 deal.
We should’ve been trying to get a pick back in a seperate deal for Baker and now we’ve only got 2 picks. Doesn’t make sense.
It only makes sense if we have turkeys running the show - then it makes complete sense. They tried to outsmart Hawks and it blew up in their face. Pyke and Clarke really need to be shown the door.

One big question I have is, why didn’t we do the Baker deal seperately? They didn’t contribute to the pick 3 deal.
We should’ve been trying to get a pick back in a seperate deal for Baker and now we’ve only got 2 picks. Doesn’t make sense.
Or at the very least waited until Freo had done their deal and swapped 3 for 10 and baker if they were hell bent on Baker.

Guys your losing it again ....

We stuffed up , in a sick way it was entertaining like a horror movie .

The club will learn from this , first change in leadership and list management for 35 years
not surprising we lost trade period.

Brought in experienced players into the team , base to have the team more competitive .
Pick 12 and 26 plus possibly another top twenty pick this draft great opportunity 2025 draft also thanks to Tommy Barrass.

Move forward .

Blame Phil.

He's just threw a jerry can into this thread with his insider feedback and concerning stories.

Possibly totally made up, but it's enough to get an exhausted bunch of campaigners worked up again.

The saddest thing about all this is we'll look back prior to next season's trade period and realise this was the high point of our year. :huh:
Why?

In spite of that trade, there's a heap to look forward to next year.

Another season of Harley, the return of Hewett and Long, continued development of Hough, J Williams, Ginbey, Petch etc.

Plenty to be optimistic about, especially with those future picks on the horizon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smith will be an absolute star for 10 more years. Heaps of players do ACLs and are fine. The off field stuff is overblown because of his online persona, and it’ll get quashed down in Geelong anyway.

Geelong have basically rebuilt their midfield:
Bruhn, Smith, Bowes, Clark

With pick 18 and 17

To be frank im not sure any of those players you mentioned are any good.

Bruhn - let’s see the melts on here if Ginbey or Hewett are averaging 17 touches a game in their 4th season (and in a good side)

Smith is a pretty good 4th best mid (as he was at Dogs). Don’t know how you are going with him as best mid but remains to be seen.

Bowes - go home grandpa. Cat is like 27, which is young for Geelong I guess

Clark - Looks like Chesser from Temu. Underwhelming at best

Holmes is their best mid - but you didn’t mention him so he is now deceased or worse, delisted.

Checkmate

It’s all about where you are in your list build/premiership window.

It would be a terrible trade for us, but it makes sense for them.

I hope you all don't mind the intrusion, but the quoted really sums up where both clubs are at. A 29yo FB is exactly what Hawks need to take us to the next level, but he'll be well past his prime by the time the Eagles are contending again (which is never far away, given your history). He'll still be best 23 for you for a few more years, but if you can turn those picks into at least one 200 gamer then that's someone who will be there for when you're on the other side of the rebuild and looking for number 5 (and maybe number 6 & 7).

FWIW the theory on our board is the trade was never in danger of falling over (both clubs are far too professional for that), but that there was a certain inbuilt delay by the AFL to drive engagement with a trade period that just drags on. As conspiracy theories go, it's among the more believable 😀

PrayerWho does Owies push out of the first 22? Cripps?
Prayer GIF

The Barrass trade in isolation is fine. Some people just wanted overs to make up for yesterdays clusterF. Gives us a good hand next year, shame about this year.
The fact the players speculated to go in the top few in the draft aren't considered much better than the next dozen or so makes me think this isn't the super draft it's made out to be. lot of depth not many stand out talents. That's what I'm going to tell myself to get to sleep tonight anyway.

People in the Industry are not calling it, or making it out to be a super draft, the point of difference in this draft, is that its a DEEP DRAFT....... not super ....... deep.

For what it's worth I would not take anyone in this draft, before five players from last years draft, had they been in the same draft:

Reid H
Walters
McKercher
Sanders
Duursma

Last years 16 -17 draft picks:

16. Green
17. Leake
18. Wilson
19. McCabe
20. Goad

I would have none of them in this years top 25.

For what it's worth I am thrilled that we have more draft capital to take into the 2025 draft.
Now whether we keep that capital or trade it back into this years draft to improve the 2024 hand remains to be seen.

There is some very good top end talent in the next draft, is it deep ?????? It's too early to tell, but I would be surprised if it's as deep as this draft.

Furthermore there are some very good WA kids in next year cohort and two of them are West Coast NGA kids and one is a West Coast father son.

Watch out for this name Freddy Rodriguez from South Fremantle 185 cm 85 kg midfielder with elite foot skills, he is right footed, but watching him play you wouldn't know that by the way he plays as he has sublime skills of either foot.

Kid is going to be a Gun, I think he will be the first WA kid drafted next year.

Blame Phil.

He's just threw a jerry can into this thread with his insider feedback and concerning stories.

Possibly totally made up, but it's enough to get an exhausted bunch of campaigners worked up again.
I find it hard to believe someone who is on a public forum potting the blokes he was working with 10 minutes after the trade period finished is legit. But it is strange times we are living in.

Are you new to sports?

Just wondering if the concept of a new coach moving to a struggling club and surrounding himself with people he knows and trusts off the field, as well as brining in mature/veterans that he can rely on to follow his plan and set a standard for an underachieving and somewhat uninspired group is entirely alien to you.

Also how many alleged turds could you munch on to satisfy your appetite you reckon? Gobbling down a whole bunch from "trusted sources". C'mon man, you used to be cool.
I don't remember McRae bringing Richmond players over when he went to Collingwood...nor Kingsley to GWS. Could be wrong but either way they didn't do it at the expense of the new club they were coaching.

[emoji6][emoji6][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]" data-quote="MaxHunt" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Who does Owies push out of the first ? Cripps?

Whichever useless player played small in the forward pocket… probably Mitch brown. …

From our last game dewar or Petch straight up can get in the bin. Bailey Williams if Flynn is fit

Who does Owies push out of the first 22? Cripps?

I dont think he needs to "push out" anyone. It's that Brockman, Dewar, Rawlinson, Petrucelle role that nobody really properly claimed. Dewar showed the most though.

Cripps is a given, Ryan is a given, Waterman, Oscar, Jillams... And Owies himself?

Schlong probably plays a similar role but you'd think Owies gets seniority given Long is returning from injury so could be on the bench initially, or vice versa.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back