List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope we really look at a guy like DGB. Worst case we delist him in a year if he can't get his shit together, best case he plays 150+ games for us and is the Gov replacement long term.

If it's just laziness or a lack of commitment or his lifestyle habits that are holding him back surely they can be fixed.
Maybe he just needs a wake up call and a delisting might be just that.

The guy clearly has talent
Doesn't have the tank for elite footy. Lacks composure.

Whether he has the talent is highly debatable too. Would rather Pasini (or similar) as depth.

Look at any premiership team.

They all have players traded in.

You dont need the draft to provide role players to support the six stars you need to provide the quality.

That was the gist of the issue.
Yeah but you can't just assume we're going to pick up someone that's going to make your argument valid.

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Doesn't have the tank for elite footy. Lacks composure.

Whether he has the talent is highly debatable too. Would rather Pasini (or similar) as depth.
Why doesn't he have the tank?
Is it genetic? Is he lazy? Or did he just not settle in Melbourne or enjoy his time at the hawks?

Idk the story but if it's just that he wasn't feeling it at the hawks and needs a new start then we should consider him

This draft is meant to be deep - as in the first 6 or 7 are all in the mix for #1. And then the next few are all in the mix for top 5. I don't see any obvious generation players. Maybe there is, but you can't see it yet. In the last 10 years, Schache is probably the only dud in the top 3. McGrath isn't a dud, but you wouldn't be over the moon at spending #1 on him.

Get someone top 3, there's a high chance you're getting a 200 game A-grade mid. The chances of getting that with #12 are slim. Possible, but unlikely.

26 should have been enough. Failing that, "give him 1 year contract and we'll free agent him". #3 shouldn't have been an option.
Righto, so WC now has 12 and 26, if Ruben (doesn’t shut up) was list manager WC would have pick 3 only, and been on our way to eternal glory, with chants of “erect a statue for Ruben”.
We all get your opinion, I don’t agree with it, so there!

Hey I grew up in Gosnells.

I knew there was something wrong with you Kyle. Years ago I used to play competition pool for the pot black in Gosnells and even had a crazy GF from there but i'm not sure anyone could entice me back, not even for a drive through. That and you seemingly having better inside knowledge of the Kangaroos than I can get gives me a little red flag.

I knew there was something wrong with you Kyle. Years ago I used to play competition pool for the pot black in Gosnells and even had a crazy GF from there but i'm not sure anyone could entice me back, not even for a drive through. That and you seemingly having better inside knowledge of the Kangaroos than I can get gives me a little red flag.
Considering how many times you've said that about work, I somehow doubt you. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Push them out or not, they certainly didn't try to hold onto them.

Not a single one of them was held to their contract. Baker OOC obviously. That threat never really got thrown around at all. Bit like us with Barrass. Sure we said we'll be happy to have him back etc etc, but definitely not the hard words of "he's staying, is a required player etc etc, would need to be an insane offer". Instead it's "we'll work with Tom and clubs to facilitate his request".

Richmond saw this deep draft, saw where they were at and have extracted the absolute kings bounty from idiot clubs for their departing players.

They've also got enough to spread it over 2 diff drafts, not just this one. It's not just eggs in one basket, but rather 2. All before Tazzy gets in. Ideal timing.

Richmond definitely wanted to hold onto Baker, Graham and Rioli. I'm not going to go into details however Bolton was on his way out whether it was to Freo or somewhere else. He is a player that can be absolutely spectacular however not someone I would be wanting to sell the farm for.

Richmond had between 4 and 5 year contracts on the table at good money for Baker, Graham and Rioli.

For all the media saying we are primed to get Warner next year, Freo are capable of getting him as well. They hold all their future picks as well as Tigers R3.

If they see Warner as a priority, they trade pick 14 on draft night for a F1 and F2. Carlton have already done that.

Essendon would be very interested in that post the Kako bid. Dons have 2 x F1 and a stack of R2 and R3 this year. I will leave it as that and avoid the day trader missing the high level point only to rebuking the incidentals.

Something very serious would need to change for Freo to have the cap space for Warner.

12 months in a bloody long time football. I think Warner is either coming here or staying in Sydney.

You talk a big game sometimes but this is absolutely spot on.

Matthew Clarke is not fit to be a list manager, at absolute best he is incompetent. In reality he is negligent and even that paints him in a more positive light than he should be after being unable to seperate emotion from judgement.

The plan should have been really simple. Protect or enhance our draft hand, address the midfield (in particular kicking and outside run) and restock KPDs. Looking into the dumpster fire of his shit decisions that will set our rebuild back:

Trade 1: Darling for pick 67

First offer accepted by Clarke. Not even a counteroffer representing the club’s interests instead of Norf’s. Even asking for pick 62 which would have given us consecutive picks in the 40s after bids on Ashcroft, Lombard, Kako, Marshall et. al. Would have at least demonstrated an attempt to negotiate, but as Phil suggests he can’t even do that.

Trade 2: Jack Graham via FA ( band 4 compo)

Knowing full well we he had a hard on for Liam Baker, he could have used the gaping chasm of salary cap space we had available to at least get the Tigers band 3 compo and have them hand back pick 24 and Baker for pick 14, even though it is still overs.

Trade 3: a) 3, 63, 68 for 12, 14, 73, Owies
b) 14 for Baker

Shambolic. Diabolical. Unforgivable. The worst trade in Eagles history. What kind of an idiot blurts out what he’s prepared to pay to a seller on day 1 of a negotiation? Now we miss out on a top 3 mid that we desperately need alongside Harley, let alone one who clearly wanted to play for West Coast. Jagga and Draper would have been a fantastic fit for us too. If he insisted on selling it, we would have gotten far more for it by trading down on draft night instead of paying for a soon 27yo role player.

Then the reports of later pick swaps in the trade came through and for a brief second most thought perhaps we’d negotiated a few 2R/3R picks to get some more talent through the door in a deep draft. But no, to add salt to the wound Clarke had decided to throw in our later picks that at least one would have come into the 40s to help Carlton match bids.

Trade 4: Barrass and F4 for Hawks F1, F2, F3

Somewhat ok but wasn’t surprised at all to read Phil saying things only progressed once Clarke left the negotiations near the deadline. That’s because he’s a f**kwit. No doubt TB’s preference was Hawthorn but why didn’t we create a market like Richmond did for Baker and Bolton? We can get you to Victoria Tom, hopefully to your preference but we value you as 2 x F1s and if we’re offered that then we’ll accept it and get you to Melbourne.

We finished 3rd last in the deepest draft in recent history and we are taking picks 12 and 26 in. For all the cage rattling we’ve traded in two players who will be 27 and one who will be 28 by the time they play a game for us. Some Rebuild.

We also missed out on low cost targets in a better age bracket in Garcia, Peatling and Robertson as well as Buss earlier in the year. Sure, some may have never been leaving but with the carrot of a game every week and a good wage, we would have got at least one of them done in years gone by.

I am deeply concerned for our medium term future if Clarke remains as list manager. Thank f**k he wasn’t in charge last year, he would have traded Harley for Melbourne’s F3. He can f**k off back to Richmond for the next two trade periods as well as he was also working for them in this one.

Happy for the club to pay him out if it means he never sets foot anywhere near our club again.

The club tried this, 200k extra a year and the afl still said it was still going to be band 4 not band 3. This along with he who will not be mentioned is what ****ed us on the Baker trade.

Darling was a good will trade. Not good will towards North but towards Jack. I would have much rather have kept him on the list another year but you can't begrudge a guy who has battled undersized for almost 300 games for the club for getting an extra 1-2 years in the system and the money that goes with it. (it's also 700k plus match payments off the books for next year)

No-one else came for Barrass in anywhere near the currency that the Hawks did so there really was no bidding war. It was either stay here with a 50k a year bonus on his current deal or go to the Hawks. He really wanted out for the security.

Pick 3 was being traded. The only thing im pissed about is that Clarke had guaranteed a teens pick for Richmond on Baker. Baker did pull a Judd though in that he wanted his outgoing team properly compensated. People here will know I'm not a big fan of Bakers skillset however I have to respect players that draw a line in the sand and look after their outgoing club. It says a lot about the person and with the way player managers operate now there's not much of it. That speaks a lot about his integrity and leadership as a person.

I'll post pictures from the beach if you like. I am so close to done it's hard not to be happy. Mind you I am a little worried about ending up in jail for losing my shit and going on a rooster killing rampage.

I’ve got some annoying crows hanging around my house I’d be happy for you to take your frustrations out on

It should be self evident that the higher you're taken in the draft, the higher chance you'll be a gun/long term player. The top 3 are the top 3 for a reason.

Always exceptions, but we're talking probabilities.

Yet we've finished in the bottom three 3 times and have taken one top 3 pick.

But hey, Liam Baker amirite? 😬
Don't you worry we have Ginbey. One day he'll learn to get to KFC first.

I’ve got some annoying crows hanging around my house I’d be happy for you to take your frustrations out on
I really think you've f**ked up with these crows. They have very long memories and teach their young who their enemies are. If they really get breeding, in a few years you're going to have about 10 generations of crows all hanging around trying to do you harm

The club tried this, 200k extra a year and the afl still said it was still going to be band 4 not band 3. This along with he who will not be mentioned is what ****ed us on the Baker trade.
Do clubs know what the AFL's magic formula is for free agency compo? Or is it as much of a surprise to them when the wheel gets spun which churns out pick 8 for Battle and pick 3 for McKay?

Right now, would be be happier if we traded our F1 last year and drafted Curtin, or happier with the result of trading pick 3 for 12 and 14?

I feel we missed a trick in not trading 3 for 4 and change from Adeliade to ensure they get Draper, and then traded 4 to Carlton for 12 and 14. Even if we swapped 3 for 4 and a 3rd round pick, its an extra pick we eventualyl would of had.
I'd rather pick 12 + Baker over Curtin
Feel like we can get someone at least as good as Curtin at 12, given it's not clear what position he may succeed in at AFL level

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back