List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
A good run at things and I think he could play anywhere it's just about development. He is one of my absolute favourites in the draft.

I mean the absolute best would mean he ends up like Lecras before doing his knee where he was looking like becoming a high end midfielder who would also kick a couple of goals a game. Just pure class. I mean Lecras got very close to that in 2014/2015 but he lost quite a bit of athleticism due to the knee.

In saying that I think Berry could be the one in this draft that is a forward now who has spent a bit of time in the midfield but due to his smarts, ability to read the play and kicking could make an elite HB.

I do however have a type when it comes to draftees and smart footballers are something that perhaps I overrate. Maybe I see more to them than is there.

There will also be either a decent quality grunt or outside mid at pick 26 or there will be plenty of tall options. I think the tall options in this draft have really come on and been undersold.

It's also why I think (without someone going over my head and trading the hawks F1) i'd really like to have an extra pick before 30. I personally think GWS pick 20 is probably the easiest to get our hands on now.

With teams holding multiple picks in front of us i'm expecting 2 to be off the board before our first pick.

Richmond not only need to take a lot of picks but the reason I don't mention chasing 1 or 2 of theirs is I think they will chase the North pick hard. North turned down 12 & 14 for pick 2 before it was offered to us. Will they accept 10 & 11 on it's own. If I was North it's hard. At 10/11 the best 2 talls could be off the table (but probably the second is still there). Richmond and Melbourne if that trade happened I would think 6 & 9 are talls. Do the saints reach for a true tall as well is an interesting question.

Richmond in that scenario could go small with 1,2 and 6 and then look to use their 18,20,23 and 24 to fill other positions on the ground. For me pick 6 is where the top rated tall comes off the board. Maybe Melbourne with 5 but I think they might go small then tall.

St Kilda who knows. The last time they had back to back picks and went with the hard nosed mid / HB types they got burnt in Clarke + Coffield. A genuine mid and then an athletically elite hybrid in Tauru makes a lot of sense.

If just can't see north being set with pick 2 as they have nothing else. However pantskyle probably has more of an idea than they do. They could use pick 2 and then look to use their future first to buy back in for a couple of picks in the 20's.

If they do that maybe a couple of Richmond's later picks do become available for the right offer.

Also makes me wonder in that case if people here would be very happy or very annoyed if the club traded 12 and the hawks F2 for Norths F1 live.

If Hewett can come back fit (I can't comment and don't have enough details as im on the other side of the country anyway) along with Hutch there's those 2 plus potentially Maric and the 3 traded players / FA's to bring into the best 22 already. So we've lost Barrass & Darling (assuming old coaching structure) from the best 22 that still means 3 more players to fit in.

Would people still be upset if that happened and we were able to trade the Hawks future first to Richmond for 23 & 24? Just take this draft at 23,24 & 26 plus champion and go to next years draft / trade period armed with our future 1,2,3, NM F1 plus Hawks future third.

2 guaranteed picks in the top 5 of next years draft with a stronger top end or still with the ability to land a top 2 draftee and add Chad Warner.

More competitive next year with some more young talent but a bit more speculative from this draft and then add either 2 very high level picks next year even if Warner is no longer interested in coming. I personally would prefer 23,24,26 and have 2 rolled gold picks / players next year. I think the top end of next years draft is at a higher level.
Without spending too much time on all of that the easiest way to look at that would be.

Eagles out: 3, F4, TB & Darling

In: Nth F1, 23,24,Hawks F3, Baker and Owies.

Owies for Darling is a win based on age really.

Pick 3 2024 for Nth F1 is probably okay. It’s probably a top 5 pick and if you’re correct and next years top 5-10 is stronger then that’s pretty decent. It does carry some risk in that it’s a future pick and clubs can have years that we as punters don’t see coming.

TB for 23,24 and Baker would receive mixed reactions in here but I’d probably be okay with it.

I’d be surprised if the Roos did F1 for 12 & Hawks f2 however.

Culley is unfortunately too slow for modern AFL and can't find the ball.
He fits the pace of state league football better.
Along with his lack of speed, he doesn't know how to use to size to his advantage.
He dominated as an overager, but hasn't shown that type of form since then against more mature bodies.
I think his best chance would have been as a marking third tall forward, but I doubt he might ever get a chance at that.

Said it before but I think he either becomes a state league FF or centreman where the pace of the game isn't as fast and has the height and smarts to be a great forward or his lack of pace and being a tier down means he's a state league version of Patty Cripps in 2-3 years time.

North will split 2 to land one of Trainor or Tauru IMO. Their interest and need is not eaily hiden.

What pick will they trade in and use to get one of these guys? A top 11 pick to be sure or picks after ours? Hopefully before as it means another player slides.
North have said they are willing to trade their pick 2 for a top 10 and a first rounder next year

Well I've been pretty calm about my assessment of the whole trade let me indulge.

** you Clarke for ruining my draft day. I was looking forward to that day as much as Christmas. You ruined it ** you. Every single player getting picked before we pick I will spew and flip you the bird

With all that said everyone will get mad but pick 23 needs to go to Alex Dodson. We need a ruck in our system. Haters can hate on Clarke

Nearly fell out of my chair. They are conceding it may be the wrong move.

That's pretty big concession. Would have thought they would spread north Korean propaganda saying best deal of all time and happy clapper seals would swallow it.

Guess they can't hide the anger. Excellent

Its a start, but they couldn't help themselves in claiming "Footy fans from all clubs applauded their list managers and berated them in equal measure.

Gee read the room guys!

There weren't no equal measures applauding our list managers for the Baker trade.

Rather it was a fair decent excess of boos and F### you's from eagles supporters, with a few rusted on delusional "its more important to win games and build culture than to secure Harley Reid, keep pick 3, happy clappers.

Its a start, but they couldn't help themselves in claiming "Footy fans from all clubs applauded their list managers and berated them in equal measure.

Gee read the room guys!

There weren't no equal measures applauding our list managers for the Baker trade.

Rather it was a fair decent excess of boos and F### you's from eagles supporters, with a few rusted delusional "its more important to win games and build culture than to secure Harley Reid, keep pick 3, happy clappers.
Because they don't agree (with your opinion) or the wailing masses, doesn't mean they are delusional happy clappers...they could just as easily be perfectly rational people...it's all an unknown quantity at this stage, nothing is certain or fixed in stone either way...

Exactly.

**** Chad.

After paying what we did for peak priced Kelly the last thing I want is overpaying for an absolutely maxxed out Chad Warner.

Sooner he re-signs with the Swans the better. Put the onus back on the dipstick drafting team and coaches to find and develop our own Chad, not pay the king's ransom for the one we missed in favour of Kelly.

Talk about doubling down on stuff up.

With you on this one Mr Sharks.

The Kelly trade has turned out to be utterly horrendous for the club. And once bitten, twice shy.

Also, the timing really doesn't align with how a conventional rebuild works. Hit the draft, get the talent in, set the foundation.

Once the kids have the experience, and are contributing that's when you look to bring established talent in to fill in any holes or gaps. Ala what we did with Jetta and Reddawg.

Bringing Warner in now is daft for how much he would cost.

I may be recalling incorrectly, but are Mraz and O'Farrell's injury histories so bad that it would be best to avoid them?

I really feel we need to draft a KPD at some point in the draft. Trainor has slid because of his concussion issues too it would seem - is he also someone that we just shouldn't be thinking about taking? (He's also apart of the Sandy Dragons mummy's milk crew).

Anyone know why Moraes has slid a fair bit in the last year with regards to his likely draft value? Was spoken about as a possible top 5 selection then, and now seen a few with him around the 30 mark

I refuse to believe that he’ll last till our second pick. It may be an unpopular opinion, but I wouldn’t mind taking him at 12.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I may be recalling incorrectly, but are Mraz and O'Farrell's injury histories so bad that it would be best to avoid them?

I really feel we need to draft a KPD at some point in the draft. Trainor has slid because of his concussion issues too it would seem - is he also someone that we just shouldn't be thinking about taking? (He's also apart of the Sandy Dragons mummy's milk crew).

Definite no to Trainor. I think he slides big time. From what i've been told he is just too much of a concussion risk. We're currently carrying Luke Edwards due to the whole potential legal side of things due to concussion. Now if the AFL could just get off their arse with their 'independant' doctors and say he's not fit to keep playing i'd be a much happier man.

Would also give the club a list spot for SSP or MSD worst case scenario.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North have said they are willing to trade their pick 2 for a top 10 and a first rounder next year

North split 2 to Tigers

Tigers 6 plus Hawks F1st go to North.

Tigers pick 10 to Eagles for Hawks F1st plus Eagles F3rd.

Barrass turned into pick 10 plus HF2nd.

Richmond hold picks 1, 2, 11, 18, 23 and 24.

North slide to 6 and land a F1st.

We hold 10, 12 and 26.

Retain our F1st, F2nd, Hawks F2nd and Hawks F3rd.

Exactly.

**** Chad.

After paying what we did for peak priced Kelly the last thing I want is overpaying for an absolutely maxxed out Chad Warner.

Sooner he re-signs with the Swans the better. Put the onus back on the dipstick drafting team and coaches to find and develop our own Chad, not pay the king's ransom for the one we missed in favour of Kelly.

Talk about doubling down on stuff up.
I looked who was drafted by all the picks we traded for Kelly .. Meh .

North split 2 to Tigers

Tigers 6 plus Hawks F1st go to North.

Tigers pick 10 to Eagles for Hawkf F1st plus Eagles F3rd.

Barrass turned into pick 10 plus HF2nd.

Richmond hold picks 1, 2, 11, 18, 23 and 24.

North slide to 6 and land a F1st.

We hold 10, 12 and 26.

Retain our F1st, F2nd, Hawks F2nd and Hawks F3rd.

Too far in our favour. But it's a nice thought.

I refuse to believe that he’ll last till our second pick. It may be an unpopular opinion, but I wouldn’t mind taking him at 12.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He fell away late in the u18 season with a possible injury niggle I may recall reading about. Has dropped from a mid 1st round discussion now out to the late 20's. So may be there at our 26.

Other kids showed more later in the year and have jumped ahead of him from what the rankings are saying. And seem to be consistent across most of them.

He certainly fits a need for us. A lively winger / half forward who can kick goals and set them up.

Gary Stocks puff piece on the trade period

I hate this "set training standards" justification for overpaying for Baker.

If we need Baker to set standards, what the f*ck are McGovern, Yeo, Kelly, Duggan, Cole, Allen, Cripps, etc doing? If they're not setting standards, why the f*ck are they getting their contracts renewed again and again when this laziness has been around for years now? F*ck them out of the team if we need b-grade players from the wooden spooners to set standards.

This is who I think the top 9 prospects are:

Levi Ashcroft
Leo Lombard
Jagga Smith
Finn O'Sullivan
Sid Draper
Josh Smillie
Sam Lalor
Harvey Langford
Murphy Reid

We're at 14 assuming Kako goes after that. Ashcroft and Lombard are at the top because they are mathematically 0 chance of sliding.

Do any of those guys slide? Is someone in that top 14 going to say, "we have to take a KPF" or "we think Allan is the next Fyfe/Cripps"?

KPF: Harry Armstrong, Jobe Shanahan
HBF: Tobie Travaglia
MID: Xavier Lindsay, Bo Allan
KPD: Alix Tauru

Smillie, Draper would be good. Unlikely to slide. If they don't slide, I'm hoping one of TT or Tauru is available. Pick 12 is not a good place to be.
Yeah unfortunately pick 12 just isnt in the sweet spot. Whats going to be available is a massive drop off from pick 3. Needed to get a pick 8-10 range.

I hate this "set training standards" justification for overpaying for Baker.

If we need Baker to set standards, what the f*ck are McGovern, Yeo, Kelly, Duggan, Cole, Allen, Cripps, etc doing? If they're not setting standards, why the f*ck are they getting their contracts renewed again and again when this laziness has been around for years now? F*ck them out of the team if we need b-grade players from the wooden spooners to set standards.
Yeah its ridiculous. We actually have plenty of senior talent on the list. Our biggest issue is that we have nowhere near enough high quality kids coming through.

Where will Uruqhart fall in this draft . Pace out of stoppage and went very well against the highly esteemed Vic Metro mids . What's the knock on him .
He's had a hip reconstruction due to being born with hip dysplasia.
Wish we could have gotten pick 51 from the tigers (which went to gcs).
Would have taken a risk on him with that pick.
Even if we kept pick 60 instead of handing it over to the Blues for Owies.
Pick 68 should have been enough since we overpaid for pick 12 & 14.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back