List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it’s ridiculous. We actually have plenty of senior talent on the list. Our biggest issue is that we have nowhere near enough high quality kids coming through.
Not all gonna be stars but probably as good a list of ‘kids’ as anyone in the bottom half: Reid, Long, Dewar, Hough, Maric, Chesser, Ginbey, Williams x2, Hewett, HEdwards, Hutchinson, Bazzo and maybe Hall, Johnston, Livingstone, Brockman and AReid.

Plus, it seems Graham and Baker will not only help these players but might also put a rocket up some of the senior players who look at times to be coasting.

I Read it as the Eagles pulled the pin? Brissy might of wanted us to trade up and we thought with the TB thing happening ht was too hard.

Interesting.

Judd McVee would be the one I’d be targeting now. OOC and has a relationship with Mini and by the looks of social media Harley.
Even if we had other picks to trade, the most I'd offer Brisbane was our lowest pick.
If they don't accept, then no deal.
Not really a required player.

A good run at things and I think he could play anywhere it's just about development. He is one of my absolute favourites in the draft.

I mean the absolute best would mean he ends up like Lecras before doing his knee where he was looking like becoming a high end midfielder who would also kick a couple of goals a game. Just pure class. I mean Lecras got very close to that in 2014/2015 but he lost quite a bit of athleticism due to the knee.

In saying that I think Berry could be the one in this draft that is a forward now who has spent a bit of time in the midfield but due to his smarts, ability to read the play and kicking could make an elite HB.

I do however have a type when it comes to draftees and smart footballers are something that perhaps I overrate. Maybe I see more to them than is there.

There will also be either a decent quality grunt or outside mid at pick 26 or there will be plenty of tall options. I think the tall options in this draft have really come on and been undersold.

It's also why I think (without someone going over my head and trading the hawks F1) i'd really like to have an extra pick before 30. I personally think GWS pick 20 is probably the easiest to get our hands on now.

With teams holding multiple picks in front of us i'm expecting 2 to be off the board before our first pick.

Richmond not only need to take a lot of picks but the reason I don't mention chasing 1 or 2 of theirs is I think they will chase the North pick hard. North turned down 12 & 14 for pick 2 before it was offered to us. Will they accept 10 & 11 on it's own. If I was North it's hard. At 10/11 the best 2 talls could be off the table (but probably the second is still there). Richmond and Melbourne if that trade happened I would think 6 & 9 are talls. Do the saints reach for a true tall as well is an interesting question.

Richmond in that scenario could go small with 1,2 and 6 and then look to use their 18,20,23 and 24 to fill other positions on the ground. For me pick 6 is where the top rated tall comes off the board. Maybe Melbourne with 5 but I think they might go small then tall.

St Kilda who knows. The last time they had back to back picks and went with the hard nosed mid / HB types they got burnt in Clarke + Coffield. A genuine mid and then an athletically elite hybrid in Tauru makes a lot of sense.

If just can't see north being set with pick 2 as they have nothing else. However pantskyle probably has more of an idea than they do. They could use pick 2 and then look to use their future first to buy back in for a couple of picks in the 20's.

If they do that maybe a couple of Richmond's later picks do become available for the right offer.

Also makes me wonder in that case if people here would be very happy or very annoyed if the club traded 12 and the hawks F2 for Norths F1 live.

If Hewett can come back fit (I can't comment and don't have enough details as im on the other side of the country anyway) along with Hutch there's those 2 plus potentially Maric and the 3 traded players / FA's to bring into the best 22 already. So we've lost Barrass & Darling (assuming old coaching structure) from the best 22 that still means 3 more players to fit in.

Would people still be upset if that happened and we were able to trade the Hawks future first to Richmond for 23 & 24? Just take this draft at 23,24 & 26 plus champion and go to next years draft / trade period armed with our future 1,2,3, NM F1 plus Hawks future third.

2 guaranteed picks in the top 5 of next years draft with a stronger top end or still with the ability to land a top 2 draftee and add Chad Warner.

More competitive next year with some more young talent but a bit more speculative from this draft and then add either 2 very high level picks next year even if Warner is no longer interested in coming. I personally would prefer 23,24,26 and have 2 rolled gold picks / players next year. I think the top end of next years draft is at a higher level.
I don't mind it as we could fill a few needs with those picks that I think would have really good careers.

HBF: Oliver
Mid/fwd: Hynes
KPD: O'Farrell

My only real issue is if we had picks 3 and 5 next year for arguments sake, and Warner wants to come. Swans would be we want both those picks, given Clarke is a terrible negotiation skills we'd hand them over.

I don't mind it as we could fill a few needs with those picks that I think would have really good careers.

My only real issue is if we had picks 3 and 5 next year for arguments sake, and Warner wants to come. Swans would be we want both those picks, given Clarke is a terrible negotiation skills we'd hand them over.
Would be very happy with that haul in the wake of Clarke’s devastation of our draft hand. We are into Hynes big time.

I'm not going to be there but I'm of the opinion that the club will be using a team of negotiators in the future (it's always a team and not everyone is in, on every trade) and that Clarke will spend more time on the discussions with player managers and contracts than anything else.

Just so people know outside of live pick trading at the draft any player coming into the club needs a lot more approval than just Clarke or anyone else in the team going ok and signing off on it.

Sometimes that approval and what is willing to be given up is given in advance but in regards to other trades even the rush of the Barrass trade at the end it still needed CEO approval.

With you on this one Mr Sharks.

The Kelly trade has turned out to be utterly horrendous for the club. And once bitten, twice shy.

Also, the timing really doesn't align with how a conventional rebuild works. Hit the draft, get the talent in, set the foundation.

Once the kids have the experience, and are contributing that's when you look to bring established talent in to fill in any holes or gaps. Ala what we did with Jetta and Reddawg.

Bringing Warner in now is daft for how much he would cost.
I for one don't think the Kelly trade has been that bad. The correct decision was made to bring in a ready made player, and in an area of need. He has also probably bar Gov + Barrass been our best player in his time here.

We overpaid- sure, which is why i'm shitty but there wasn't an overly high pick involved. Also those drafts from the onset didn't really have a glut of players who were viable guns in those areas like the 2024 draft does.

As far as I can tell (and please let me know) these direct picks ended up as: #16, #18, #27, #42
Cooper Stephens, Jeremy Sharp, Ronin O'Connor, Ryan Angwin = Tim Kelly.

We could have had Sharp, E. Taylor, Rivers, Carroll and O'Driscoll perhaps as guys from WA in that range and maybe end up with two serviceable types rather than one.

*Despite coming in late we actually took decent options in 2019 & 2020. Didn't set ourselves up to fail as we often have.

It feels like a footballing match made in heaven: Deven Robertson and West Coast.
The West Australian product is the nephew of club great and former captain Darren Glass and was out of favour at Brisbane.
Last season, the Eagles were keen to make a move happen and floated a three-year deal to try and lure the midfielder home.
This year, Robertson floated a move home and the Lions vowed to help him make it happen.
But the 23-year-old, who missed out on both of Brisbane’s grand finals across the past two seasons, will remain a Lion for at least another year.
The West Australian reported the Eagles had tabled pick 73 in a bid to get a deal done with the Lions for Robertson during this trade period.
West Coast went cold on what appeared to be a straightforward exchange on the final day of trading as they scrambled to get a deal done for premiership defender Tom Barrass.
The Perth product was keen on more opportunities, with Collingwood also reportedly in the mix for his signature last week.
The Eagles list boss Matt Clarke told The West in the hours after the trade period they were never “very close” to trading for Roberston.
But chief executive Don Pyke had already confirmed their interest.
“We are (interested) and those sort of conversations are ongoing,” Pyke told SEN.
“It’s now just a matter of where does he fit in the overall package and what does it look like.
“We’ll continue to explore the possibility of bringing Dev into the club as well.”
Robertson was a former WA under-18 captain and had impressed early in his career at Brisbane. Like many of the State’s best exports, he had long been linked to a move home and the Eagles, where his uncle Glass played 270 games and is a 2006 premiership player, always felt like the obvious choice.
Now the race for midfield spots at the Lions is only going to get tougher. The Lions have access to highly-touted father-son Levi Ashcroft — whose brother Levi just one a Norm Smith Medal — and academy prospect Sam Marshall.
Two-time Brownlow medallist Lachie Neale runs there midfield with the help of Jarryd Berry, Hugh McCluggage and Ashcroft.
West Coast were at the centre of this year’s trade period, with a last-minute deal done for Barrass to head to Hawthorn and a highly-controversial move to split pick three as part of a play that brought Richmond’s Liam Baker and Carlton’s Matt Owies to the club.
They had already locked away ex-Tiger Jack Graham, who worked at Richmond under new Eagles coach Andrew McQualter, through free agency.
Clarke said the recruitment of Richmond’s Liam Baker and Jack Graham to boost their midfield meant they didn’t need to bring in Robertson.
“He was a player that was pretty close to potentially moving last year but we obviously had some priorities there in the midfield,” Clarke told The West Australian.
“Once Liam came in and Jack going through free agency we pivoted from there.
“As much as there was a bit of media speculation, we’ve tracked a lot of players this year and it wasn’t very close to happening to be perfectly honest.”
That’s despite Brisbane football boss Danny Daly saying the Lions would help facilitate a trade that afforded Robertson more opportunity.
But he also believed the midfielder would be open to staying if a deal couldn’t be tick off.
“There’s been a little bit (of interest) from a couple of clubs. Obviously, back home in the west they’ve shown a bit of interest,” Daly said last week.
“All clubs are in the same position as us, I think. They’re waiting on other things to get done to see what spots they’ve got available.
“Dev’s also mentioned that he’s keen to stay, if he has to stay he will and he’ll work his way through it.
“We’re also mindful that he wants an opportunity to play so if we can get something done for him through West Coast or a club in Melbourne that may be interested, then we’ll help him out as much as we can.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was pretty angry at Pyke for the debacle of trade week. But the more i think about it the more i think that the stupid idea of importing middle aged players into the club, even if overpriced and costing us draft capital, was probably not his idea. He sounds very hesitant, weak and incoherent when he has been on interviews defending it. If it was his idea then i think his tone would be different and he would be a lot more enthusiastic to explain and defend it. People don't avoid debates when it is their own ideas being attacked, but they do when they are carrying out somebody else's instructions that they don't agree with.

I think it is likely he has been given a tasking by the Board, and the WAFC that controls the Board, to get the club out of the dark place it has been in for a few years by any means available. Even if it only gets us to 6 or 7 wins a year and even if it slows down our ability assemble a list that can get back in the 8. They are worried that club profitability, and the WAFC's royalty cheque, will take too much of a hit if we have another few years of 3 or 4 wins a year whilst we stockpile early picks that hopefully become A grade talent. Less than 6 or 7 wins a year and people stop renewing memberships eventually is probably what they think. Unless you are Abramovich and own the club then everybody answers to somebody, including Pyke.

I don't know what to say to posters dumb enough to be defending it on the basis of the tired cliche of the new middle aged players "mentoring" the kids. Isn't that what we employ the coaching panel and development department for, i.e. to teach the kids? What are they going to learn from Baker that they wouldn't have already learned from the senior players already on the list like Yeo, McGovern and Allen?

What are they going to learn from Baker that they wouldn't have already learned from the senior players already on the list like Yeo, McGovern and Allen?

Having the smallest bloke on the field crack in harder than everyone else unconditionally is going to make it pretty hard for other s to pick and choose when to go

I love the fact we have Baker now, I do think we massively overpaid but I totally get the appeal

Owies, Dewar, Long, Champion, Hewett, Baker, Brockman, Rawlson PLUS Cripps and Petruccelle all play that position.

A better player of a higher need will be there IMO.

Lindsay makes the most sense and would be great. Read his bio and it just screams Richmond rebound run and gun style. Composure by hand and foot, quick to take territory by overlap running, short or long kicks on his left. Loves to defend as much as attack. Leadership quaities. Country lad.

There are a few players, but not sure on depth.

Owies - 30 goal forward (at a good team)
Dewar - seems a good prospect maybe even further up the ground
Baker - defender
Brockman - one of the more disappointing first years. Could be bought out if his output doesn’t double
Rawlinson - still big unknown if he makes it
Hewett - hopefully a full time mid, could be dead though
Petrucelle - known quantity, serviceable. wouldn’t say he’s great and is ooc next year….(band 1?)
Cripps - likely done after 2025

He's had a hip reconstruction due to being born with hip dysplasia.
Wish we could have gotten pick 51 from the tigers (which went to gcs).
Would have taken a risk on him with that pick.
Even if we kept pick 60 instead of handing it over to the Blues for Owies.
Pick 68 should have been enough since we overpaid for pick 12 & 14.
2.9 20 metre sprint .
6mins 10 2km run .
More I read about him the more I like . Pick 51 he would probably be gone .
Family friends of Chad Warner too , whom he models his game on

Woodcock article

We tabled pick 73 for Dev, but it's not clear whether Brissy rejected it or we went cold on it

Would seem very strange if we said no to a pick 73 trade

Phil already said that Brisbane were gunning for a second round pick (which means 26) and weren't budging.

Phil already said that Brisbane were gunning for a second round pick (which means 26) and weren't budging.
What an absolute joke lol.
Brisbane are insane for valuing him that high (if true).
GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:
Assuming Richmond will only use the draft is dumb and stupid. We all know its a process. They will reach a stage when they are ready to trade in and the like but to suggest they should have done it this year like we were dumb enough to do is what we are arguing. I like most think we should have simply waited til 2025 to get the Liam Baker and Matt Owies types. Not just do it during the deepest draft in recent memory.

My plan would have been simple

Tell Liam Baker we are not interested. Tell Matt Owies the same. Take Jack Graham as a FA only
Throw a nuclear offer at Riley Garcia. Use F2nd from Hawks to get it done. If that fails trade for Dev but only use future picks (not F2nd but like F2nd for Dev + F3rd type deal)
Take 14 + F2nd for Barrass + F3rd type deal
Trade 14 + 61 with Sydney for 19 and 22
Go into draft with 3,19,22,26,68
Use 68 on Champoion and dont be dumb shits
In 2025 we go all out for Chad Warner.

What ive said above was very easy to achieve and common sense also. Not doing it was done for 1 reason. Prioritising winning now over rebuilding.

Anyway back to living in the dreamland where the club can do no wrong
Whilst I agree with much you are saying, the statement
'Anyway back to living in the dreamland where the club can do no wrong'
is just plain wrong.

Over 700 pages and over 18000 posts, and though I haven't read every one, I don't think that this has been expressed in even a mild form in any post I have read.
I especially cannot recall a single positive post on the clubs handling of the Liam Baker deal. FWIW my opinion is that pre announcing we were committed to the guy and announcing that he was worth at least a pick in the mid teens totally undermined any position of bargaining strength we may have had. And I think that is a fairly consensus view.

The club tried this, 200k extra a year and the afl still said it was still going to be band 4 not band 3. This along with he who will not be mentioned is what ****ed us on the Baker trade.

Darling was a good will trade. Not good will towards North but towards Jack. I would have much rather have kept him on the list another year but you can't begrudge a guy who has battled undersized for almost 300 games for the club for getting an extra 1-2 years in the system and the money that goes with it. (it's also 700k plus match payments off the books for next year)

No-one else came for Barrass in anywhere near the currency that the Hawks did so there really was no bidding war. It was either stay here with a 50k a year bonus on his current deal or go to the Hawks. He really wanted out for the security.

Pick 3 was being traded. The only thing im pissed about is that Clarke had guaranteed a teens pick for Richmond on Baker. Baker did pull a Judd though in that he wanted his outgoing team properly compensated. People here will know I'm not a big fan of Bakers skillset however I have to respect players that draw a line in the sand and look after their outgoing club. It says a lot about the person and with the way player managers operate now there's not much of it. That speaks a lot about his integrity and leadership as a person.

I did try and tell him this a few days ago that we tried this and it was Plan A but according to him it was still ALL Clarkes fault & he messed up plan B.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back