List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
It should be, but you are asking a team to delay it’s own rebuild, by moving on a high end pick.

The buying team almost always pays overs when dealing with any team other than Gold Coast, when chasing a pick in the current draft.

More than likely Richmond want to keep their top 4 picks, and trade some of their end of first round picks for future first round picks.
If we can get a late teens pick, without paying too much, to sit alongside 12 and 26 in a deep draft, that could significantly help the rebuild. I think the ship has sailed on being at the pointy end of the draft.

Agree. I feel like Schlong has enough runs on the board funnily enough that he'll be borderline straight back in, don't think he's ever played WAFL?.

Both will play in the same side.

FF: Owies Allen Waterman
HF: Cripps Jilliams Ryan

INT: Long (rotates with Cripps & Ryan)

Probably a bit more to it than that, with a couple rotating through mid and hopefully Kelly rotating through the HFF, but you get my point.

After 3 years of being shite, that forward line just illustrates how little along we are in our rebuild.

Add this to no rucks, 1 star mid, no good young KPD’s and we should (and should’ve) be bringing in at 5-11 new faces every year inc Rookies in the hope of getting lucky with a later pick(s), keeping all our early picks and only taking DFA’s (NO trading for anyone over 23 years).

Simple question for the dry sheeters, where is our improvement coming from this year?

Freo improved (-1), Roos have an early pick again and a recent history of nailing ready to play stars (1 all), Demons (maybe us at home but like us, depends if have aging backs available), GC (at home maybe, but improving and have gun mids), Tiggers (2 wins here u would hope), Crows significantly better, Saints no material change (but 2 nice picks) and Bombers (might get them over here)?

We are one McGovern injury from some serious flogging.

All power to those not getting wet.

But not bright when you’re on an iceberg and you just floated out past the number 3 pier at Rotto.

Simple question for the dry sheeters, where is our improvement coming from this year?

I don't think improvement on the field next year should be the goal. The list has to improve. Baker next year will be better that #3 next year. But what about in 4 years time? It's highly unlikely. I can't see how our list is improved for the long term. I still think we're bottom 4 next year. You have to get 80 games into a lot of these kids. Unsure how people have remained dry.

I don't think improvement on the field next year should be the goal. The list has to improve. Baker next year will be better that #3 next year. But what about in 4 years time? It's highly unlikely. I can't see how our list is improved for the long term. I still think we're bottom 4 next year. You have to get 80 games into a lot of these kids. Unsure how people have remained dry.
Thats an improprement! We were bottom 3 this year.

In a no doubt way too early call, I've written off Brockman. I just don't see it.

I rate Dewer, Long I'm unsure about, I like him but unsure where he fits in. Doesn't kick goals as a forward, and might be too small for the midfield. Was also the last player drafted that year so 🤷‍♂️

I need to watch Owies highlights but he'll be a lock based on stats alone.

Cripps needs to be phased out.

Still feel there's a lot riding on Hewett coming good.

And I'm still pissed off that 2/3 years we've been bottom 3 we've traded out of the elite top 3 talent. Extenuating circumstances blah blah blah but still. Everyone saying this draft is deep and we've essentially traded out of it to "lift the floor". Meh.

I trade stocks and whenever people crack the shits and go into a panic rampage of hate about a stock, you know the bottom is in.

Calling it bitches. Insanity has reached peak levels, which means we are on the way up from here.

ASX share trading bears no relation to AFL, given the ASX doesn’t has a draft which should offer a foolproof (in most cases) way of climbing to peak levels.

ASX bottom is delisting, so good to know you buy just before this.

A few people (Clarke included) have said we could trade future picks to get back into this year's first round.

If we did trade back in, what would we have to give up to get Richmond's pick #6?

You don't. That is the play.

You don't trade your high end draft pick out ("we think the top 15 is even, we'll still get a good player at 12"), just to overpay and trade back in again.

I imagine Richmond have those first 6 or so picks locked. The sensible thing is to target 1 or 2 of their picks in the 20's they will want to offload.

Ideally using the F2/F3's we have. Either our own or Hawthorns. F1's should be off limits. That gives us the 4 selections we wanted, with another pick in the top 30 of a deep draft.

Makes a lot of sense. Targetting the pointy end and trading back for a top 10 selection on the other hand, does not. It'd be counter productive to what we've already done.

Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've read
Well it shouldn't be the be all end all. As in, bringing in Baker for a little improvement at the expense of long term improvement.

Put it this way. I'd like to win a couple more game, but I'm more interested in seeing kids improve, Hewett injury free, Bazzo getting some minutes, etc.

If that Henry Oliver kid is at 27, id highly consider trading into this year. He has ready to go attributes already, only negative is his slow decision making after a mark for a kick

In a no doubt way too early call, I've written off Brockman. I just don't see it.

I rate Dewer, Long I'm unsure about, I like him but unsure where he fits in. Doesn't kick goals as a forward, and might be too small for the midfield. Was also the last player drafted that year so 🤷‍♂️

I need to watch Owies highlights but he'll be a lock based on stats alone.

Cripps needs to be phased out.

Still feel there's a lot riding on Hewett coming good.

And I'm still pissed off that 2/3 years we've been bottom 3 we've traded out of the elite top 3 talent. Extenuating circumstances blah blah blah but still. Everyone saying this draft is deep and we've essentially traded out of it to "lift the floor". Meh.

sounds like we traded out pick 3 because 4 out of the top 5 had red flags involved meaning we were a 50/50 chance to get the person we wanted this year.

basically had no choice, 12, 14 and owies is what we ended up with
'TiMe WIlL TeLl'

It should be, but you are asking a team to delay its own rebuild, by moving on a high end pick.

The buying team almost always pays overs when dealing with any team other than Gold Coast, when chasing a pick in the current draft.

More than likely Richmond want to keep their top 4 picks, and trade some of their end of first round picks for future first round picks.

The only way I would trade our F1 is for pick 6 and nothing else. It’s pretty much a guaranteed top 5 pick. I don’t think it’s great for Tigers having this many picks in one draft and wouldn’t be great for them contract wise. I think it’s almost certain they trade one or two of their picks and clubs will know there’s incentive for them to do it. They may choose to sell 6 but think 10 is more likely.

Our F1 could be 1 or 2 but doubtful it drops past 6. It is probably the safest and most valuable pick for them.
No way I’d be giving up an extra second rounder with it.
After trading away pick 3 this year it would be disastrous to lose another top 3 pick and a pick in the 20’s.
I also hope we don’t trade hawks F1 for a late teens pick. I’d like to take the risk that they drop off a bit.
Don’t mind trading one of our seconds to get back in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that Henry Oliver kid is at 27, id highly consider trading into this year. He has ready to go attributes already, only negative is his slow decision making after a mark for a kick
We've got 26, just take him there.

Simon McPhee (Part of our recruiting team) coached him at Brighton grammar and would know him very very well. So likely high on our list. A good friend knows Oliver well, and probably 6 months ago told me he'd probably prefer he went interstate. I don't know if that still stands or not.

Been reading some mock drafts and predictions for the draft and a few have Murphy Reid dropping.

Any chance the club takes him at 12(14) if he is there?
Murphy Reid and Taj Hotton are the 2 Sandringham mummy’s boys that interstate clubs will be avoiding. There is usually a reason they ate sliding .

Trainor has had a number on concussions which is why he is sliding

I don’t think it would be possible to get pick 6 off Richmond. In fact, given where they are, it would be silly for them to do it. Our best bet would be to try and get Pick 11. However, given North has broadcast they’re willing to give up their F1 for another pick, we will need to give our F1 plus more. Unless of course Clarke’s has a bit of an agreement with his old mates given we helped with the Bolton trade and bent over for the Baker trade.

Genuine question, do you have any concerns about all three players?

Where do you see each of them playing, as role players or having to step up as key onfield performers?
My take, not really.

I think Graham is a midfielder who has had a team full of those sort of mids so you’d think at the Eagles he will get his chance as we don’t have many.

Baker will do his job where ever Mini puts him. I think it will be half back but might be mid/fwd is Hewett ect isn’t ready

Owies I don’t know much about. Won’t kick 30+ you wouldn’t think as the chances won’t be there as much as they were at the Blues. But if he does the other stuff he is known for it won’t hurt and hopefully inspires a few others up there to do it.

I don’t think it would be possible to get pick 6 off Richmond. In fact, given where they are, it would be silly for them to do it. Our best bet would be to try and get Pick 11. However, given North has broadcast they’re willing to give up their F1 for another pick, we will need to give our F1 plus more. Unless of course Clarke’s has a bit of an agreement with his old mates given we helped with the Bolton trade and bent over for the Baker trade.
Norths F1 was more for trying to get Houston wasnt it? Haven’t heard it much post trade period

I get this. I'm not knocking the recruitment of Owies as he has been a pretty handy player over the last couple of years and the club sees a role for him. All I am saying is that it shouldn't come at the expense of Long, who has demonstrated an ability at AFL level. If he comes in for Brockman, I'm all for it.

You are right Long has shown ability at the AFL level … just not as a forward pocket where Owies plays… … if they are fighting for the same spot Long is no chance of getting a go ahead of him

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
You don't. That is the play.

You don't trade your high end draft pick out ("we think the top 15 is even, we'll still get a good player at 12"), just to overpay and trade back in again.

I imagine Richmond have those first 6 or so picks locked. The sensible thing is to target 1 or 2 of their picks in the 20's they will want to offload.

Ideally using the F2/F3's we have. Either our own or Hawthorns. F1's should be off limits. That gives us the 4 selections we wanted, with another pick in the top 30 of a deep draft.

Makes a lot of sense. Targetting the pointy end and trading back for a top 10 selection on the other hand, does not. It'd be counter productive to what we've already done.
Agree completely - a 9 spot pick downgrade but still retaining 3x top 30 picks alongside Baker would be a pretty reasonable outcome.

Or at least an outcome that leaves a less sour taste in my mouth.

Surely with our huge stocks of small/medium forwards we try some in new roles next year.
Long was a mid I believe, throw him in the middle in the WAFL and see what happens? Hes pretty clean, with size the only real negative for him, but that can be worked on.

I wonder if tank could be another area of concern for him to transition to the middle. I’d love to see it because he is very clean by hand and a slippery in traffic

Murphy Reid and Taj Hotton are the 2 Sandringham mummy’s boys that interstate clubs will be avoiding. There is usually a reason they ate sliding .

Trainor has had a number on concussions which is why he is sliding
Yeah that's my understanding too. But at 12 would he be to hard to pass up? 3 year contract, back the club in to keep him?

After 3 years of being shite, that forward line just illustrates how little along we are in our rebuild.

Add this to no rucks, 1 star mid, no good young KPD’s and we should (and should’ve) be bringing in at 5-11 new faces every year inc Rookies in the hope of getting lucky with a later pick(s), keeping all our early picks and only taking DFA’s (NO trading for anyone over 23 years).

Freo improved (-1), Roos have an early pick again and a recent history of nailing ready to play stars (1 all), Demons (maybe us at home but like us, depends if have aging backs available), GC (at home maybe, but improving and have gun mids), Tiggers (2 wins here u would hope), Crows significantly better, Saints no material change (but 2 nice picks) and Bombers (might get them over here)?

We are one McGovern injury from some serious flogging.

But not bright when you’re on an iceberg and you just floated out past the number 3 pier at Rotto.
Yeah this comment is the thing some are not recognising. We are going to be three years along in a rebuild and have MINIMAL young talent coming through. Bringing in these senior players is just gonna artificially boost our ladder position and leave us with even worse draft picks next year

Trading back into this draft -

• Trying to get a top 10 will be too expensive as it’d need to be our F1 and something else. Nor do I think any clubs with picks there will be interested in selling
• Richmond might be interested in trading one of their later R1 picks to spread out their draft haul a little. Might be able to get either 20 or 23 with the Hawthorn F1
• GWS and Sydney both have academy kids next year so might look to trade for that Hawthorn F1. GWS (21) or Sydney (19 or 22) might be gettable
• Essendon are going to lose 28 and 31 to a Kako bid and have enough later picks to still match. Might be able to get either 28 or 31 with our F2
• Alternatively, GWS (37) and Sydney (44) are options if we are looking at a later pick to grab someone we rate that has slid down the order
• The Hawthorn F3 will be there to get a pick after 45 if we wait that deep into the draft to use a 3rd selection

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back