List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
For me the issue with the Baker trade was not getting an extra pick in the 20-30s back. Anyhow I’ll move on.

IMO the two F1s are untouchable and if we were to take an extra pick in this draft I’d rather use a later one and try our luck with an F3. Just feel we’ll need to pay too much to get a decent first round pick.

Go to next year with the option to get a few first rounders to complete the nucleus or Warner and one.

For me the issue with the Baker trade was not getting an extra pick in the 20-30s back. Anyhow I’ll move on.

IMO the two F1s are untouchable and if we were to take an extra pick in this draft I’d rather use a later one and try our luck with an F3. Just feel we’ll need to pay too much to get a decent first round pick.

Go to next year with the option to get a few first rounders to complete the nucleus or Warner and one.
I reckon Sydney would be asking for 2 first rounders for Warner

We have some good senior trainers but are lot of em are over 30 and being managed more often than not.

Gov and Waterman need to be the poster boys of what you can achieve if you put in the effort. Both were regarded as our best trainers last off season and both went on to win AA and Gov became our Best and fairest.

A huge issue is that we have had a lot of seniors in the mid 20’s bracket that are either c graders or hardly B grade talent.

We really won’t know the outcome of the Baker trade till 2-3 years away. Personally speaking I don’t think we have a decent core of young talent atm in this rebuild. Need a few more kids on the list to come on and to nail the a lot of picks over the next few drafts. If we are the same place in 2-3 as we are now with the young talent, then I view the Baker trade as a massive loss, if we do have a great core of youth and are pushing up the ladder, then thats a great outcome.
Yep, I take it managed means can't and never again will train fully, and we do have quite a few. It a reality but sends a bad vibe.

It’s not garbage? I argued this point and literally 5-10 North accounts on twitter told me what Rawlings said at a club function, I don’t see why they’d lie about that.
It’s garbage, if Nth wanted Cadman they don’t trade pick one. Everyone knew that GWS was into Cadman. The whole pick swap was between the 4 clubs with everyone getting to where they wanted to be in that draft. GWS to pick one to get Cadman, Nth to pick 2 & 3 to get Sheezle and Wardlaw, Eagles move down to get players they were interested in and Port to get JHF home.
Rawlings would look like an absolute clown to be saying yeah we wanted Cadman but realistically couldn’t get him because we had pick one.

It’s garbage, if Nth wanted Cadman they don’t trade pick one. Everyone knew that GWS was into Cadman. The whole pick swap was between the 4 clubs with everyone getting to where they wanted to be in that draft. GWS to pick one to get Cadman, Nth to pick 2 & 3 to get Sheezle and Wardlaw, Eagles move down to get players they were interested in and Port to get JHF home.
Rawlings would look like an absolute clown to be saying yeah we wanted Cadman but realistically couldn’t get him because we had pick one.
This is 100% my understanding of the trade. I’ll add that our preference was also Cadman but it became apparent that was not a possible outcome trading with the other clubs.

The "Credits Crew" climbed the mountain and won in 2018. Then cruised through covid and lost interest after the pace of the game went past them.

The new "Floor Raisers" well they have 20 plus hungry, young dratees snapping at their heels gunning for their spot in the team.

They also now have a pissed off fan base to appease and and a new football department and executive to appease. One who had just been culled to the bone for not performing.

So yep. I am expecting a better output from this list and what is added in the next two years. Much better.
I think we're still a fair way off talent wise from being a contending team. There is some young talent coming through but imo our list isn't anywhere near good enough as it stands. The floor raisers might keep us off the very bottom of the ladder but we really need to get some high-end guys into the squad somehow.

Lol. Someone posts a random opinion on their personal forward six with mostly older players and you go on another rant?

Oh the rebuild hasnt started....that forward line is crap....blah....blah.

Really?

OK does this younger forward line give you more hope and interest?

Long Waterman J Williams
Dewar Allan Owies

Int: A Reid (F/R), Hewett, Champion

All the old crew like Cripps, Ryan will be gone at rhe end of next year.

Champion A Reid (F/R) Waterman
Warner(F/M) Allen Owies

Int: J Williams (F/R), Long, (M/F), Dewar.

Nothing to like there?

3 of the 6 you name as our Fwds in 2026 will be 29, 28 and 27, so you’ll be thinking we are in the finals by then?

Appreciate different views of where we are at (ie you all super positive and the like and me being, we’ve been rooted since 2021 and not seeing a rebuild yet), but suppose I could be coloured in that I went to work Monday morning all positive and then old mate Clarkey spat in my coffee, stole my cheese toasty and shat in the toilet without flushing.

Been grumpy ever since!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trading back into this draft -

• Trying to get a top 10 will be too expensive as it’d need to be our F1 and something else. Nor do I think any clubs with picks there will be interested in selling
• Richmond might be interested in trading one of their later R1 picks to spread out their draft haul a little. Might be able to get either 20 or 23 with the Hawthorn F1
• GWS and Sydney both have academy kids next year so might look to trade for that Hawthorn F1. GWS (21) or Sydney (19 or 22) might be gettable
• Essendon are going to lose 28 and 31 to a Kako bid and have enough later picks to still match. Might be able to get either 28 or 31 with our F2
• Alternatively, GWS (37) and Sydney (44) are options if we are looking at a later pick to grab someone we rate that has slid down the order
• The Hawthorn F3 will be there to get a pick after 45 if we wait that deep into the draft to use a 3rd selection

Melbourne have two picks.

5 and 9

5 Would cost our F1st. Say 3. Fair?

9 would cost the H1st and H2nd. Dees would want our 2nd.

Thats not far off IMO. Shuffle of 3rds and 4ths maybe needed.

He's clearly FOS. Probably does some research for them. Wouldn't have access to the information he claims he has. Some people like a higher being who knows more than them, even though deep down they know it's not real. But that's not for everyone. Some people don't like people passing off opinion as fact. Old Mate Philly is a fraud.
Finn O'Sullivan cooking the internet books in the long play not to get drafted west?

You’d think it would’ve been an easy one to get done. F3 for a pick in the 40s like the Crows and Dees did.

Now we have another 12 months of Dev speculation and for him to just go to another club. Oh well I guess this is what these forums are for……
Graham and Dev would have ended up fighting over the same position. Cant carry two of those guys . They would have taken games off the developing mids .

Graham was free and can help the new coach implement the new game plan so he got the nod . Glad we didn't sell any more picks for middling players .

I think Hutchinson will be our midfield bolter . He looked so natural in the midfield last round and has a much better athletic profile than Dev .

Add to that a hopefully fit Hewett , long back from injury, hall another preseason , chesser move on ball and we will improve in this area .

Even hough move to the wing could be on the cards

Melbourne have two picks.

5 and 9

5 Would cost our F1st. Say 3. Fair?

9 would cost the H1st and H2nd. Dees would want our 2nd.

Thats not far off IMO. Shuffle of 3rds and 4ths maybe needed.
What's the draft like next year? I've heard there's lots of WA kids, but are they Cripps and Warner, or Sheed and Palmer?

I think we're still a fair way off talent wise from being a contending team. There is some young talent coming through but imo our list isn't anywhere near good enough as it stands. The floor raisers might keep us off the very bottom of the ladder but we really need to get some high-end guys into the squad somehow.

We arent talking about contending this year or next year.

We were discussing where the improvement will come from. How will our forwards half improve.

Someone posted a forward line with four older players included and guess what..... beds were wet......and the side of the negative responded as expected.

I simply posted a forward line of next yeat and 2026 with no old blokes in it to show the future. Thats where we improve. A Reid, J Williams, Long, Champion and yes Owies. We need Allen fit alongside Waterman.

We mix in Hewett, H Reid and Kelly rotating forward thats how the forward line improves.

We bring back the forward pressure with players fit enough to run out four quarters.

I think Armstrong, Shanahan and Tauru could all be off the table by our pick. With multiple teams having multiple picks and how even the draft is I can see a couple of the higher rated talls combined with Tauru's end of year plus combine dominance being a point of difference.

And if thats how it plays out, then that be would be a great outcome for us.

And if thats how it plays out, then that be would be a great outcome for us.
1. Jagga Smith
2. Sid Draper
3. Finn O'Sullivan
4. Sam Lalor
5. Harvey Langford
6. Josh Smillie
7. Murphy Reid
8. Harry Armstrong
9. Jobe Shanahan
10. Alix Tauru

In no specific order, just have the numbers there so we can count how many picks.

It would guarantee TT or Lindsay.

HBF: Tobie Travaglia
MID: Xavier Lindsay, Bo Allan

Expected to slide but in the mix: Taj Hotton, Luke Trainor

10 years is an entire career.

A club can turn over 80 players across 10 years.

So in effect sacking the entire current squad. And THEN sacking the next 40 player squad again. Before contending. So why dont you take a moment to digest that thought.

And if we are as bad as your defeatist poor bugger us mindset predicts we will be selecting players at the top of the draft.

Its bed wetting. Defeatist attitude.

If you really think this way maybe go support the purples.
The next time we will be legitimately contending will be when Reid is like 27-28 at least. I'll lock in Hough as well to that team with a couple of vets still able to contribute. No one else just yet has shown they will be around then. *We have a handful of maybe's compared to 2021 when the cupboard was bare which is a good place to be.

We may crack an elimination final or two between then but a realistic top four finish let alone multiple is no chance.

Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back