List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:

There were [emoji6]-[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]] other accounts saying the same thing months / a year or so ago but I can’t find them now.

Went on North’s board a year or so ago and seen people mentioning this too.

13 GIF reactions to the fact that poverty is sexist - ONE.org US

We arent talking about contending this year or next year.

We were discussing where the improvement will come from. How will our forwards half improve.

Someone posted a forward line with four older players included and guess what..... beds were wet......and the side of the negative responded as expected.

I simply posted a forward line of next yeat and 2026 with no old blokes in it to show the future. Thats where we improve. A Reid, J Williams, Long, Champion and yes Owies. We need Allen fit alongside Waterman.

We mix in Hewett, H Reid and Kelly rotating forward thats how the forward line improves.

We bring back the forward pressure with players fit enough to run out four quarters.
I'm not talking about contending this year or next, I'm talking about building a contending list.
And at the moment there's a fair bit of work to get us there.

This is 100% my understanding of the trade. I’ll add that our preference was also Cadman but it became apparent that was not a possible outcome trading with the other clubs.
The fact that our preference was Cadman says everything about the previous list management teams inability to read the room regarding our need for midfielders then. Even then, they wanted a key forward FFS.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Going super early on this one:

If we have another season like the last few, I wonder (and hope) we go to the AFL and point out that we have split our first two out of the last three years to fast track the rebuild and be more competitive with senior players. Considering the advantages of other teams in a similar spot I think we could make a pretty decent case

It’s garbage, if Nth wanted Cadman they don’t trade pick one. Everyone knew that GWS was into Cadman. The whole pick swap was between the 4 clubs with everyone getting to where they wanted to be in that draft. GWS to pick one to get Cadman, Nth to pick 2 & 3 to get Sheezle and Wardlaw, Eagles move down to get players they were interested in and Port to get JHF home.
Rawlings would look like an absolute clown to be saying yeah we wanted Cadman but realistically couldn’t get him because we had pick one.
Spot on

I recall King being ropable that Norf trade out of the Cadman pick because they desperately need a KPF

28 and 31 may land a Davies, Urquhart or an Oliver if lucky.

A couple of likely talls around 30 that would shore up our back half in time.

Names bouncing up and down the rankings every week.

Just need to be wary of that Champion bid coming in the 30's that would take out any pick traded in around that spot.
I would not match a bid on Champion in the 30’s

The only way I would trade our F1 is for pick 6 and nothing else. It’s pretty much a guaranteed top 5 pick. I don’t think it’s great for Tigers having this many picks in one draft and wouldn’t be great for them contract wise. I think it’s almost certain they trade one or two of their picks and clubs will know there’s incentive for them to do it. They may choose to sell 6 but think 10 is more likely.

Our F1 could be 1 or 2 but doubtful it drops past 6. It is probably the safest and most valuable pick for them.
No way I’d be giving up an extra second rounder with it.
After trading away pick 3 this year it would be disastrous to lose another top 3 pick and a pick in the 20’s.
I also hope we don’t trade hawks F1 for a late teens pick. I’d like to take the risk that they drop off a bit.
Don’t mind trading one of our seconds to get back in.
I wouldn’t trade your F1 for pick 6, unless your scouting team had their number one prospect still available at that pick.

However I don’t understand many people’s argument that Richmond should trade out a couple of their picks to balance out their future salary cap.

It’s not uncommon for teams to have up to half their list coming out of contract in some years.

And there’ll certainly be half a dozen highly paid, best 22 players amongst that lot.

It’s unlikely Richmond hit on every pick in this year’s draft for a start. And even if they do, not every kid is going to be a potential AA squad member, and asking for a big payday on their first negotiable contract.

Also the new rookie contracts help teams keep top 20 picks on cost controlled 3 year contract.

So their first 4 picks will be in the top 20 and on 3 year contracts. Then their next 4 picks will be after 20, because of academy bids, and will be on 2 year contracts.

This guy is a pretty reasonable YouTuber on draft matters.

He has North trading pick 2 and a F2 to Richmond for 6,10 and 20. Probably skewed a bit in Norths favour but it ultimately works for us

We end up Travaglia with what becomes 15 after bids and Cooper Hynes at 30. TT slides due to Armstrong, Trainor, Tauru, Shanahan and Murphy Reid all being taken before our first pick. How likely that is who knows but it’d be a nice result if it falls that way

I reckon Sydney would be asking for 2 first rounders for Warner

They well and truly could, but with our current amount of picks u think we could try and either buy back in or have a similar swap as suggested previous, where they send back their first.

I’m not fussed either way. He instantly makes us better but the idea of having two three firsts and not ****ing it up is pretty juicy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My take, not really.

Owies I don’t know much about. Won’t kick 30+ you wouldn’t think as the chances won’t be there as much as they were at the Blues. But if he does the other stuff he is known for it won’t hurt and hopefully inspires a few others up there to do it.
Isn’t the reason Carlton were ok losing Owies, because he doesn’t do the other stuff.

That was definitely the narrative pushed in the media before and during the trade period.

He has North trading pick 2 and a F2 to Richmond for 6,10 and 20. Probably skewed a bit in Norths favour but it ultimately works for us

We end up Travaglia with what becomes 15 after bids and Cooper Hynes at 30. TT slides due to Armstrong, Trainor, Tauru, Shanahan and Murphy Reid all being taken before our first pick. How likely that is who knows but it’d be a nice result if it falls that way

Would be very happy with that.

Isn’t the reason Carlton were ok losing Owies, because he doesn’t do the other stuff.

That was definitely the narrative pushed in the media before and during the trade period.
Didn't have any list spots basically.

For instance, Fantasia is a pure shit truck, yet he stay and Owies goes.

Reckon the Blues would much rather have Owies over Orazio.

I see the four best realistic (although as you say Tobie is a pipe dream now) options at 12, 26 in combination without doubling up are:

Travaglia, Hynes
Lindsay, Oliver
Berry, Gross
Allan, Moraes

We end up Travaglia with what becomes 15 after bids and Cooper Hynes at 30.
As I said a couple of days ago that’s absolute best case scenario, would love it to be the case but think it’s unlikely.

Will depend almost entirely on the appetite for KPFs in the pick 6-11 range.

I know I said I was over it, but 2 & F2 for 6, 10 & 20 is heart breaking stuff for what we got 3 for

Melbourne have two picks.

5 and 9

5 Would cost our F1st. Say 3. Fair?

9 would cost the H1st and H2nd. Dees would want our 2nd.

Thats not far off IMO. Shuffle of 3rds and 4ths maybe needed.
Melbourne traded their F1 pick and basically the rest of their 2024 draft hand to get 9 off Essendon

Can’t see them doing anything other than using picks 5 and 9

Not what I heard.

Was list spots and $$$$ he wanted. Plenty of coverage with small forwards and the rest are contracted and they are already tight against the cap with TDK and Walsh
OOC

I wouldn’t trade your F1 for pick 6, unless your scouting team had their number one prospect still available at that pick.

However I don’t understand many people’s argument that Richmond should trade out a couple of their picks to balance out their future salary cap.

It’s not uncommon for teams to have up to half their list coming out of contract in some years.

And there’ll certainly be half a dozen highly paid, best 22 players amongst that lot.

It’s unlikely Richmond hit on every pick in this year’s draft for a start. And even if they do, not every kid is going to be a potential AA squad member, and asking for a big payday on their first negotiable contract.

Also the new rookie contracts help teams keep top 20 picks on cost controlled 3 year contract.

So their first 4 picks will be in the top 20 and on 3 year contracts. Then their next 4 picks will be after 20, because of academy bids, and will be on 2 year contracts.

Ok so you don’t think having 8 first round picks hitting free agency at the same time is an issue?

I know I said I was over it, but 2 & F2 for 6, 10 & 20 is heart breaking stuff for what we got 3 for

It’s a theoretical trade

Meaning it hasn’t happened

And isn’t likely to. Richmond aren’t giving up that much for pick 2

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back