List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:

Move Maric & Ryan back full time.

Duggan and Kelly to more outside / wing positions.

Just on a previous question before I do some prep on ideas before a 8.30 WST call Dewar would need to be upgraded from the Cat B list before the draft if Champion was to slide through.

I think it's a 50/50 he slides through the main draft. His highlights look amazing but I doubt many people have watched his full games. Lots of question marks. He is a talented midget though.

AsterixTheGaul That'll be a match committee and planning decision. Not my realm mate. Maric and Ryan back is what I would do with how the game is progressing and as the coach.

It really makes no difference if Dewar is on the rookie list or not. If champion slides through the main draft they would just be swapping places between the Cat B & rookie list. It doesn’t create another list spot.

Do not agree.

IMO If anything late 1st rounders will become more important and valuable. These are the picks clubs will need to pay points for top draftees needing points. The points no longer exist in later rounds.

And that is if the Hawks improve. No guarantees that happens. Barrass and Battle will take time adjusting to a new game plan and style and new team-mates. They won't gel as a cohesive unit straight away. Don't be surprised if the best of Barrass and Battle at the Hawks is in 2026 not their 1st season at a new club.

I said as expected, now how I or you rate them (which is lower)

You are correct, late firsts and second round picks will have a big premium next year for the academy clubs. It's my opinion it's more of a standard depth draft, the issue is that 20+ or more of the normal draft pool of say 65 are academy or club tied.

I'm of the opinion that hawks will at best hold their current position but could slide.

The future second round picks and WCE future third will likely hold quite a lot of value come the draft next year. Hawks future third will likely hold a little value but not as much for draft points. It's one i'd prefer to take to the draft as in real terms it's going to come in a long way. Picks 35-40 next year could effectively discounting academy and club tied prospects be live picks 20-25.

Gotta run peeps, busy.

It really makes no difference if Dewar is on the rookie list or not. If champion slides through the main draft they would just be swapping places between the Cat B & rookie list. It doesn’t create another list spot.

It does actually as the club between national and rookie drafts we can add Champion straight to the cat B list without the draft involved.

Means all picks are live.

It does actually as the club between national and rookie drafts we can add Champion straight to the cat B list without the draft involved.

Means all picks are live.

Didn’t it change so you could also automatically add them to the rookie list if they didn’t get picked up in the main draft? Or is that next year or I’ve just got it wrong?

Well done West Coast...

The amount of times I've watched this guy at Optus trail his man... Or not spoil when he had the chance... Or drop simple marks... Or not take the game on...

All the best Rotham but we have instantly become better!... Physically has afl attributes but mentally weak.

Bring in a reliable delisted free agent defender...or go to draft... Happy days

List cloggers be gone!

MEGA
**** me. I should have trade marked this MEGA acronym:tearsofjoy:

So the momentum killers Barrass and Rotham are gone. These 2 were never going to fit into a Mini fast football strategy.

The Luke Edwards delay is odd. He is not up to AFL in my opinion as he is too slow and not elite in other areas to warrant selection. The concussion is a worry and is confusing. If we need him on books for medical stuff, then we simply delist and rookie. This is what happened with Venables

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the momentum killers Barrass and Rotham are gone. These 2 were never going to fit into a Mini fast football strategy.

The Luke Edwards delay is odd. He is not up to AFL in my opinion as he is too slow and not elite in other areas to warrant selection. The concussion is a worry and is confusing. If we need him on books for medical stuff, then we simply delist and rookie. This is what happened with Venables

I may be wrong, but isn't Edwards waiting to hear back from the concussion committee on whether he can continue his career or not? Or is that something that I made up? I remember reading something similar to that in the West a month or two ago.

Another one of the plethora of small forward prospects in the deeper end of this years draft pool, Angove is light on his feet, quick and agile with the ability to produce moments of magic in the forward 50. His footy IQ is very good, allowing him to run patterns up to the wing and back into the forward 50 while staying involved in the play and finding the ball. He's rarely caught flat footed, and has the ability to gather the footy cleanly at pace.

Hope we are targeting Jaxon Prior as dfa to replace him
I don't see the big deal about witherden and rotham delisted. I didn't see them as best 22 anyway .

Next season defence

Cole Hedwards Ginbey
duggan McGovern Maric

Hunt and hough splitting time between wing and defence .

I would even be tempted to play brockman back as he is not a natural goal kicker and his defensive game is his 1 wood

I disagree

At the start of the draft, if the the Hawks finish in the top 4, their future R3 will be worth somewhere between 57 and 14 points. This will go lower with any FA compo picks and priority picks. So on first glance, yes worthless.

The first round is predicted to have as many as 7 Northern Academy prospects with 5 if them likely to be top 10. All of these are also likely to be before any Walley or Banfield bids.

Here is a very rough view of where the 2025 Northern Academy prospects are seen to land (very early calls) along with points and 10% discounted points

View attachment 2148617

In summary, the Northern Clubs will need to be holding nearly 10,000 points to land all their prospects.

They will not be able to gather up R3 picks and match the bids. The total value of the 18 R3 picks is only 2,644. Total Value of the R2 picks is 9,586. In summary, the 4 Northern clubs will have to be holding all of the 33 picks from 22 to 54 to land all 13 their prospects. And they will not have that many list spots open.

While early days, I expect that the shift out of the first round will occur but that there will be much greater demand for late R2 and R3 picks.

So Hawks finish as premiers and the F3 is pick 54. Add in 6 FA compensation picks and it is now 60. Take out the minimum 25 picks that the Northern Clubs will need to be holding prior to our prospects being bid on and pick 54 (the Hawks F3) ends up as the 35th pick.
If that's the case I'd be open to trading second round picks next year for second rounders this year and F4's.

This would give us second rounder picks in a stronger draft, and those F4's, while being worthless in terms of points, come right in once all the picks have been chewed up in points.

I don't see the big deal about witherden and rotham delisted. I didn't see them as best 22 anyway .

Next season defence

Cole Hedwards Ginbey
duggan McGovern Maric

Hunt and hough splitting time between wing and defence .

I would even be tempted to play brockman back as he is not a natural goal kicker and his defensive game is his 1 wood
If we land Tauru or TT, they'll have to go into that defence. Bazzo is another who potentially needs to be developed/trialled. TT probably goes in first season. Maybe even wing. Tauru probably goes into the WAFL with a goal to dominate. We're starting to get options and hence competition for spots.

The Bo Allan foregone conclusion is baffling. I think it will be a monumental **** up. Another type that looks the goods, really hasn't shown anything emaculate to date. Tested well, an athlete obviously, but on the park hasn't shown anything to warrant to justification. His highlight package is filled with him taking intercept marks from scrubbed kicks and a couple of fluffy, floaty balls that will get chewed up at AFL level. If anything, he looks like a defender. Is that what we need to be targeting for this draft?

We've gone the athletic type too many times in previous drafts and lead to being fizzers (Brander and Chesser). Rather go for a "footballer"

Don't pay too close attention to other teams, so my sample size is the grand final... absolute gun, let's get him in.

Definitely a player we should be all over if he does indeed want to return home. RA so just need to pay more than Brisbane want/able to match.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back