List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
The Bo Allan foregone conclusion is baffling. I think it will be a monumental **** up. Another type that looks the goods, really hasn't shown anything emaculate to date. Tested well, an athlete obviously, but on the park hasn't shown anything to warrant to justification. His highlight package is filled with him taking intercept marks from scrubbed kicks and a couple of fluffy, floaty balls that will get chewed up at AFL level. If anything, he looks like a defender. Is that what we need to be targeting for this draft?

We've gone the athletic type too many times in previous drafts and lead to being fizzers (Brander and Chesser). Rather go for a "footballer"

The problem with a kid like this - if they're not Fyfe or Cripps, they're a liability. It's a massive risk of a pick, especially when we already have Harley. When you're at the top of draft, take the big bodied bull or balanced mid with skilled disposal and decision making. When you're where we are, if none of those top 7 mids slide, take Tauru or TT. Don't take a "bang it on the boot" bull.

The Bo Allan foregone conclusion is baffling. I think it will be a monumental **** up. Another type that looks the goods, really hasn't shown anything emaculate to date. Tested well, an athlete obviously, but on the park hasn't shown anything to warrant to justification. His highlight package is filled with him taking intercept marks from scrubbed kicks and a couple of fluffy, floaty balls that will get chewed up at AFL level. If anything, he looks like a defender. Is that what we need to be targeting for this draft?

We've gone the athletic type too many times in previous drafts and lead to being fizzers (Brander and Chesser). Rather go for a "footballer"

He has a great footy brain, was the captain of WA in the National Championships. Played against grown men in the WAFL.

Sweet.
I didn't actually, go back and look.You mentioned raising the floor and running out four quarters and I made a joke about the credits crew being replaced.
You then decided to take my obviously joke comment seriously and took the conversation away from just the forward line.

I never took the discussion away from the forward line.

You did.

Anyway. We move on.

He has a great footy brain, was the captain of WA in the National Championships. Played against grown men in the WAFL.

I'd rather get Lindsay as he has shown he can be the mid we need.

Also captain. Played his best game v Vic Metro and really stood up.

There should be better options at 12 than Allan.

If we had two selections around 10 to 15 would love two of either Lindsay, Travagalia or Allan.

That would be fine IMO.

Lets say with a reasonably flush with salary cap space next year.

1. Starcevich. Would be a great pick up and solidfy the defence nicely.

2. Hear me out..... Jeremy Sharp. Unrestricted Free Agent, will have just turned 24, and a quality wingman. Test how tight that Freo salary cap is. Would come for free (other than salary) and be a massive upgrade our on current wingers.

Surprised the Eagles have made an offical announcement regarding Rotham yet.

He might of made the call.

You’d think LEdwards is next.

Decent turnover now to hit some picks and hope the trades paid off like Hawthorns last year.

Lets say with a reasonably flush with salary cap space next year.

1. Starcevich. Would be a great pick up and solidfy the defence nicely.

2. Hear me out..... Jeremy Sharp. Unrestricted Free Agent, will have just turned 24, and a quality wingman. Test how tight that Freo salary cap is. Would come for free (other than salary) and be a massive upgrade our on current wingers.
Get Sharp would help get The Chad too.

Acres had a good season but got pushed due to cap issues. Might be the same for Sharp.

Still surprised we didn’t have a crack at him last year when he was just sitting there after the deal with Freo fell through the year before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get Sharp would help get The Chad too.

Acres had a good season but got pushed due to cap issues. Might be the same for Sharp.

Still surprised we didn’t have a crack at him last year when he was just sitting there after the deal with Freo fell through the year before.
If we could add Warner (24y 5m this time next year), Starcevich (26y 2m), and Sharp (24y 2m), at the expense of salary cap space and a couple of first rounders (for Warner) you'd have to be very very excited about 2026.

/in before all three sign extensions where they are and we get nothing

Bro is big and a ball winner. But also has questionable disposal and decision making. These guys are a bust if they're not Cripps or Fyfe types. We should be focussing on players with elite disposal and decision making. These guys are usually top 5. Given we no longer have top 5, we need to look at KPD or HBF.

The problem with a kid like this - if they're not Fyfe or Cripps, they're a liability. It's a massive risk of a pick, especially when we already have Harley. When you're at the top of draft, take the big bodied bull or balanced mid with skilled disposal and decision making. When you're where we are, if none of those top 7 mids slide, take Tauru or TT. Don't take a "bang it on the boot" bull.

Allen is a low-risk pick, the worst case scenario he winds up on the HBF or wing. So it comes down to a question of needs. I want a clean hands/ ground ball player and none of Tauru, TT or Allen fit the bill.

Bo Allen is excellent by foot in terms of depth and power, ball speed and trajectory. I don't know how someone could say TT is a good kick and Allen is a bad kick. Allen's barrier to being a midfielder are his hands in close.

We are pick swapping back into this draft aren’t we?
I hope we don't. There is always a premium to be paid in trading forward. Our rebuild is going to take long enough that we'd be better off maximising the value of every draft pick, even if it's next year rather than now.

I may be wrong, but isn't Edwards waiting to hear back from the concussion committee on whether he can continue his career or not? Or is that something that I made up? I remember reading something similar to that in the West a month or two ago.

That is 100% correct which is why WCE can't delist him. It's all about legal liability. If WCE delist him then it comes back on the club. If the AFL says he can't continue then the legal liability lays on them. It's a ****ed situation.

Richmond with 8 picks in the top 24, have to feel they'd be very interested in pushing some of those into next year to balance out the intake
You’d think with all the talk from Jouros that after Hawks blew up the plans by trade pick 14 that the Eagles, Tigers and Bakers manager took the weekend to discuss other avenues to getting the trade done that would’ve been one of them.

Because the ‘easy’ option would’ve been to just on trade the F1 we got from the Hawks to Richmond for Baker but the Hawks would’ve known that so could’ve held right until the last minute and we wouldn’t of been able to do the Baker deal.

According to Cal we were always looking to spilt pick 3. So we do it early for 12 and 14. On trade 14 which helped them unlock the Bolton trade straight away and we get a pick back once the TB trade was done.

Do not agree.

IMO If anything late 1st rounders will become more important and valuable. These are the picks clubs will need to pay points for top draftees needing points. The points no longer exist in later rounds.

And that is if the Hawks improve. No guarantees that happens. Barrass and Battle will take time adjusting to a new game plan and style and new team-mates. They won't gel as a cohesive unit straight away. Don't be surprised if the best of Barrass and Battle at the Hawks is in 2026 not their 1st season at a new club.

So top 4 teams are going to be able to buy top 5 picks more often. Fu(k me

Allen is a low-risk pick, the worst case scenario he winds up on the HBF or wing. So it comes down to a question of needs. I want a clean hands/ ground ball player and none of Tauru, TT or Allen fit the bill.

Bo Allen is excellent by foot in terms of depth and power, ball speed and trajectory. I don't know how someone could say TT is a good kick and Allen is a bad kick. Allen's barrier to being a midfielder are his hands in close.

Where I think TT is elite is his ball movement by hand and his decision making is much better than Allen’s.
TT is also IMO better at breaking the lines and run and carry than Allen
But you are correct that there is not a lot of difference between the quality of Allen and TT’s foot skills.

Allen would be a safe pick, whilst not being a spectacular pick.

My point of intrigue in this draft is going to be just how we positionally use - or who - we spend our second pick on.

I really want us to keep both our F1’s but I am open to trading our F2’s ( one or both ), if it can pick us up another good pick in this years draft.

By way of options us going into draft night holding 2 x F1, F2 & F3 gives us a very handy and versatile war chest to use, IF there is a slider that we rate highly at any juncture in the draft.

That said if we hold all our future draft capital and take it to the 2025 draft I am fine with that too.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back