List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Freo just got Sharp? How is he a FA?

I don't know, i don't make the rules.

He's on their rookie list and according to the Freo website "He was signed on day one of the pre-season supplemental selection period". Imagine that would be why.

View attachment 2148716
Sharp was signed as a delisted free agent

Might have only been given a one year deal to test how he was going to go. Being previously delisted makes him unrestricted from memory, but could be wrong

Does Massey have a little SA player hard on, took Rawlinson as a bit of a surprise last year.

I think Charlie Nichols is a very good athletic tall with a beautiful mark, his weakness was his shot for goal. I think he could become a good KPD!
Rawlinson was not a good pick based on what he showed or rather didn’t show this year. Lucky to survive the cut. Has nice guy vibes about it.

Last edited:

Yeah agree. However I think Allan of HB would still provide value with his aggressive run and carry, but would much prefer one of the others you listed there. Lindsay over Allan everyday for mine, just conditioning myself to the likely possibility of Allan getting picked.
Think Tauru is gone before our pick and if by some miracle TT is there we must jump all over it.
It's tight. North need KPP so I think they will trade #2 for 2 picks inside 10 and take KPP (Tauru being one of them, maybe Armstrong or Shanahan the other).

I think it'll go something like this:

01 RICH Jagga Smith
02 RICH Sam Lalor
03 CARL Finn O'Sullivan
04 ADEL Sid Draper
05 MELB Murphy Reid
06 NMFC Harry Armstrong
07 STK Josh Smillie
08 STK Harvey Langford
09 MELB Jobe Shanahan
10 RICH Tobie Travaglia
11 NMFC Alix Tauru
12 WCE Xavier Lindsay

It's tight. North need KPP so I think they will trade #2 for 2 picks inside 10 and take KPP (Tauru being one of them, maybe Armstrong or Shanahan the other).

01 RICH Jagga Smith
02 RICH Sam Lalor
03 CARL Finn O'Sullivan
04 ADEL Sid Draper
05 MELB Murphy Reid
06 NMFC Harry Armstrong
07 STK Josh Smillie
08 STK Harvey Langford
09 MELB Jobe Shanahan
10 RICH Tobie Travaglia
11 NMFC Alix Tauru
12 WCE Xavier Lindsay

I don't recon many would do two top 10s for pick 2.

Nek Minit - Carlton trade pick 3 for Saints 7 and 8...

Out (Delisting) - Rotham,Witherden,Culley
Possible In (DFA) - DGB,Clurey,Carrol

^^^Makes no sense. No point delisting crabs to bring in a different breed of crabs. The club should only be bringing in kids via the draft or trades (without overpaying)

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just on Bo Allan, seems he'll be a player that will start in defence and only maybe transition into a midfielder, has been highly rated by my mate and overly impressed with him.

Sounds like a very good pick up for any team however I'm just not convinced we can use our first pick on someone who might become a midfielder.

If we want him ideally we aim for another pick before our first or just before Freo's first and grab a pure mid and him.

I disagree

At the start of the draft, if the the Hawks finish in the top 4, their future R3 will be worth somewhere between 57 and 14 points. This will go lower with any FA compo picks and priority picks. So on first glance, yes worthless.

The first round is predicted to have as many as 7 Northern Academy prospects with 5 if them likely to be top 10. All of these are also likely to be before any Walley or Banfield bids.

Here is a very rough view of where the 2025 Northern Academy prospects are seen to land (very early calls) along with points and 10% discounted points

View attachment 2148617

In summary, the Northern Clubs will need to be holding nearly 10,000 points to land all their prospects.

They will not be able to gather up R3 picks and match the bids. The total value of the 18 R3 picks is only 2,644. Total Value of the R2 picks is 9,586. In summary, the 4 Northern clubs will have to be holding all of the 33 picks from 22 to 54 to land all 13 their prospects. And they will not have that many list spots open.

While early days, I expect that the shift out of the first round will occur but that there will be much greater demand for late R2 and R3 picks.

So Hawks finish as premiers and the F3 is pick 54. Add in 6 FA compensation picks and it is now 60. Take out the minimum 25 picks that the Northern Clubs will need to be holding prior to our prospects being bid on and pick 54 (the Hawks F3) ends up as the 35th pick.
I gave an example the other day using your two future F2 picks based on this years ladder.

So picks 21 & 30 to move up, gives the team holding pick 15 a 200 points upgrade.

Would you be willing to trade 21 & 30 to move up 6 spots?

The new system is really going to discourage pick trades, unless a team is desperate to move up.

And it’s only really going to benefit the first couple of teams to match on kids.

Teams are going to need multiple picks between 25 and 35 to match higher end prospects, where under the current system, the sweet spot are picks between 33 and 45.

Band 1 & 2 compensation picks are really going to devalue second round picks for pick trades, and make it much harder for teams to trade up on the new points system.

It used to be teams looked for a 500+ points upgrade when trading first round picks. We got nearly a 600 points upgrade for trading pick 20.

That’s going to near impossible under the new system.

I believe WCE_phil is right when he says future R3 picks are going to be nearly worthless in trades, because they’re points value is rather diminished and they’re not going to move up the draft order as significantly under the new system.

Which is what the changes were meant to do.

Just on Bo Allan, seems he'll be a player that will start in defence and only maybe transition into a midfielder, has been highly rated by my mate and overly impressed with him.

Sounds like a very good pick up for any team however I'm just not convinced we can use our first pick on someone who might become a midfielder.

If we want him ideally we aim for another pick before our first or just before Freo's first and grab a pure mid and him.
Are you getting the vibe he's much of a chance to go before our pick? Is the flight risk significant?

Out (Delisting) - Rotham,Witherden,Culley
Possible In (DFA) - DGB,Clurey,Carrol

^^^Makes no sense. No point delisting crabs to bring in a different breed of crabs. The club should only be bringing in kids via the draft or trades (without overpaying)

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't mind if they go after Clurey because we literally have like two key defenders on the list currently

Who's the best pure mid at that pick-range.

TT a similar situation to Bo - Lindsay?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forgot to mention, I believe you’ll see academy clubs preferring to take deficits on second and third round kids, if they have multiple kids across multiple rounds, and prioritise matching points on their first round kids.

Deficits only carry forward on the round the bid is made in. So if a kid is bid on in the second round, then any deficit only comes off your future second and/or third round picks.

I don't recon many would do two top 10s for pick 2.

Nek Minit - Carlton trade pick 3 for Saints 7 and 8...
North are overflowing with mids. They need some quality KPP. I think they want to trade. At 6, Richmond are probably getting Smillie or Langford, and then once at 11 it's starting to drop off. It's a 50/50 for me. Maybe 6 and 11 in this deep draft is better. 6 and 18 won't cut it for North. So if a deal happens (and I think it will), it's either 2 and chicken feed for 6 and 11, or 2 for 10 and 11. Either way, North are probably taking 2x KPP in front of us.

The Bo Allan foregone conclusion is baffling. I think it will be a monumental **** up. Another type that looks the goods, really hasn't shown anything emaculate to date. Tested well, an athlete obviously, but on the park hasn't shown anything to warrant to justification. His highlight package is filled with him taking intercept marks from scrubbed kicks and a couple of fluffy, floaty balls that will get chewed up at AFL level. If anything, he looks like a defender. Is that what we need to be targeting for this draft?

We've gone the athletic type too many times in previous drafts and lead to being fizzers (Brander and Chesser). Rather go for a "footballer"

immaculate means something that is clean, perfect or without fault.

Problem is next year in not a stacked draft like this year is. We should be working to get another 1st and 2nd rounder in the door this year.
We need enough picks next year to

A) trade for Warner; and
B) match bids on our three farther son/academy picks that are coming.

Would like another pick this year but not at expense of leaving us stuck next year. Especially when the northern clubs will be separate for picks/points next year as well.

Are you getting the vibe he's much of a chance to go before our pick? Is the flight risk significant?

I don't want to comment too much on the flight risk side of things, from what I know he prefers to stay in WA, how strongly that has been put to clubs is not something I know and I don't want to presume he is a mummas boy as every chance he is an Eagle shortly.

Who's the best pure mid at that pick-range.

TT a similar situation to Bo - Lindsay?

Hmm tough one, someone will slide though.
I'd also prefer TT even if a mid is available, TT excites me.

01 RICH Jagga Smith
02 RICH Sam Lalor
03 CARL Finn O'Sullivan
04 ADEL Sid Draper
05 MELB Murphy Reid
06 NMFC Harry Armstrong
07 STK Josh Smillie
08 STK Harvey Langford
09 MELB Jobe Shanahan
10 RICH Tobie Travaglia
11 NMFC Alix Tauru