List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
We need enough picks next year to

A) trade for Warner; and
B) match bids on our three farther son/academy picks that are coming.

Would like another pick this year but not at expense of leaving us stuck next year. Especially when the northern clubs will be separate for picks/points next year as well.
We can drop a F2 and use a F3 for the academy bids. We sold the farm this year for Baker and we are going to sell the farm next year on Warner when we still lack elite kids . We need at least one more elite kid to pair up along side Reid long term . We only have X2 current top 10 kids on the entire list Reid and Ginbey.

There are 4 significant players that are likely to be bid on in the top 20.

1729488522995.png
Quick recap on where these 3 clubs are with points

Brisbane's draft hand is worth 2,531 points. I expect them to sell off 27 for a slight profit on draft night to give them another 200 to 300 points but minimal other business. The big question is has Richmond done a deal with them to not bid on Ashcroft at 1? If yes, they are probably pretty safe. If no, Tigers should 100% bid on Ashcroft. Many have him as the best kid in the draft and all clubs should aim to make the reigning premiers weaker. Marshall is also worthy of a bid and it should be no later than 20. Ashcroft at 1 and Marshall at 20 will hurt the Lions while Ashcroft at 2 and Marshall at 20 means the lions are safe. Nothing to see here.

Sun's draft hand is worth 1,291. Lombard is difficult to gauge for a Lark Medallist. I clearly think he is a top 10 talent and Suns can match any bid after 7. Will SOS be himself and bid at 7 or 8? Suns earliest pick is 39 so not worthy of any large premium however their points may improve once the Ashcroft bid is matched. Nothing to see here.

Don's draft hand is the interesting one. They sold out of pick 9 believing SOS at 7 and 8 could be vindictive and pounce. They hold way more points than needed to match Kako at 7 or 8 and assuming the Ashcroft bid is at 1 or 2, then their points value will rise even more. What they will look to do is to sell off 28 and 31 and then attempt to buy back in. Selling off 28 and 31 still leaves them with 1,303 points which covers anything SOS can do.

Prediction: Essendon will sell out the valuable R2 picks to use up the later picks in the bid match. What they need are valuable future picks to hide behind. We have them and I want us to be trading with them.

Proposed Trade
WC F2 and Hawks F2 for 28 and 31. I expect WC F2 to be better than 28 but Hawks F2 likely to be worse than 31.

I would think there is a fair chance that Sydney would be interested in these 2 x F2 picks as they have 2025 Academy prospects (Carmichael and Chamberlain) tipped to go mid R1. Swans in 2024 draft hold 19, 22, 44, 59 and all their own Future picks but nothing else. I expect that Swans could agree this prior to draft night.

Trade with us can be done before or on draft night. Once the bid for Kako comes, Dons transact to get back in.

Trade with Swans
Pick 19 for the 2 x F2 feels about right but Dons might have to accept pick 22.

Swans do not need for a lot at the moment and they can afford to wait a year on one of their late R1 picks

West Coast take have the following hand:
Picks 12, 26, 28, 31, 73.
We lose own F2 and Hawks F2. Leaves us with 2 x F1 and 2 x F3

I think there is real depth this year all the way through to the end of R2 meaning we have 4 good players this year.

BTW. Essendon will need to pay a premium to have their picks hidden. Tick for us. Sydney will want a premium to drop one of their top picks which is why the fall back was for Dons to get 22 and not 19.

Tom Cluery is contracted why would he walk, somebody must have promised him something ?
Surely its not west coast, aged 31 when he starts playing for us thats the way to rebuild.
Bring in all these elderly statesman we will show the rest of the comp.

How often has the Clurey situation happened? Mutual agreement to cut ties with a contract still in place and then gets picked up as a DFA.

Brissy should do it with Dev and save $500k ;)

Assuming Richmond will only use the draft is dumb and stupid. We all know its a process. They will reach a stage when they are ready to trade in and the like but to suggest they should have done it this year like we were dumb enough to do is what we are arguing. I like most think we should have simply waited til 2025 to get the Liam Baker and Matt Owies types. Not just do it during the deepest draft in recent memory.

My plan would have been simple

Tell Liam Baker we are not interested. Tell Matt Owies the same. Take Jack Graham as a FA only
Throw a nuclear offer at Riley Garcia. Use F2nd from Hawks to get it done. If that fails trade for Dev but only use future picks (not F2nd but like F2nd for Dev + F3rd type deal)
Take 14 + F2nd for Barrass + F3rd type deal
Trade 14 + 61 with Sydney for 19 and 22
Go into draft with 3,19,22,26,68
Use 68 on Champoion and dont be dumb shits
In 2025 we go all out for Chad Warner.

What ive said above was very easy to achieve and common sense also. Not doing it was done for 1 reason. Prioritising winning now over rebuilding.

Anyway back to living in the dreamland where the club can do no wrong

This will probably annoy you but But a deal was in place to get Dev for Pick 73 and with the addition of Baker and Graham WCE decided not to trade for Dev ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We can drop a F2 and use a F3 for the academy bids. We sold the farm this year for Baker and we are going to sell the farm next year on Warner when we still lack elite kids . We need at least one more elite kid to pair up along side Reid long term . We only have X2 current top 10 kids on the entire list Reid and Ginbey.
Warner is 23, not 33, if we get him next year he'll be 24 to Harley Reid's 20. They will be contemporaries for eight to 10 years. Also, Warner is not a top 10 pick but is worth more than a top 10 pick now. I agree we lack picks from the pointy end of the draft but that's not the be-all-and-end-all as Melbourne and Gold Coast can attest. Hopefully Hewitt comes good, maybe Hough can be elite etc.

Tom Cluery is contracted why would he walk, somebody must have promised him something ?
Surely its not west coast, aged 31 when he starts playing for us thats the way to rebuild.
Bring in all these elderly statesman we will show the rest of the comp.

How often has the Clurey situation happened? Mutual agreement to cut ties with a contract still in place and then gets picked up as a DFA.

Brissy should do it with Dev and save $500k ;)

Didn’t Clarke categorically say we had no interest in him?

View attachment 2148784

Brisbane's draft hand is worth 2,531 points. I expect them to sell off 27 for a slight profit on draft night to give them another 200 to 300 points but minimal other business. The big question is has Richmond done a deal with them to not bid on Ashcroft at 1? If yes, they are probably pretty safe. If no, Tigers should 100% bid on Ashcroft. Many have him as the best kid in the draft and all clubs should aim to make the reigning premiers weaker. Marshall is also worthy of a bid and it should be no later than 20. Ashcroft at 1 and Marshall at 20 will hurt the Lions while Ashcroft at 2 and Marshall at 20 means the lions are safe. Nothing to see here.

Sun's draft hand is worth 1,291. Lombard is difficult to gauge for a Lark Medallist. I clearly think he is a top 10 talent and Suns can match any bid after 7. Will SOS be himself and bid at 7 or 8? Suns earliest pick is 39 so not worthy of any large premium however their points may improve once the Ashcroft bid is matched. Nothing to see here.

Don's draft hand is the interesting one. They sold out of pick 9 believing SOS at 7 and 8 could be vindictive and pounce. They hold way more points than needed to match Kako at 7 or 8 and assuming the Ashcroft bid is at 1 or 2, then their points value will rise even more. What they will look to do is to sell off 28 and 31 and then attempt to buy back in. Selling off 28 and 31 still leaves them with 1,303 points which covers anything SOS can do.

Prediction: Essendon will sell out the valuable R2 picks to use up the later picks in the bid match. What they need are valuable future picks to hide behind. We have them and I want us to be trading with them.

Proposed Trade
WC F2 and Hawks F2 for 28 and 31. I expect WC F2 to be better than 28 but Hawks F2 likely to be worse than 31.

I would think there is a fair chance that Sydney would be interested in these 2 x F2 picks as they have 2025 Academy prospects (Carmichael and Chamberlain) tipped to go mid R1. Swans in 2024 draft hold 19, 22, 44, 59 and all their own Future picks but nothing else. I expect that Swans could agree this prior to draft night.

Trade with us can be done before or on draft night. Once the bid for Kako comes, Dons transact to get back in.

Trade with Swans

Swans do not need for a lot at the moment and they can afford to wait a year on one of their late R1 picks

I think there is real depth this year all the way through to the end of R2 meaning we have 4 good players this year.

BTW. Essendon will need to pay a premium to have their picks hidden. Tick for us. Sydney will want a premium to drop one of their top picks which is why the fall back was for Dons to get 22 and not 19.

12 26 28 31 would be really interesting. I can see some gems in that range, and a surprise slider.

We should target 2 mids and 2 defenders.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Whilst the draft hand of 12, 26, 73, 81 and 99 sounds bad, the picks used on matched bids should see us with the following actual picks used on a player on draft night (I could post the spreadsheet or suggest you just believe me. Oh, I am ignoring the Campo twins as they become minor noise).

12 - becomes 15 (Ashcroft, Lombard and Kako matched before us)
26 - become 30 (Marshall matched before us)
73 - becomes 55 (picks used up in between)
81 - becomes 61 (ditto plus list spots)

It would be nice to get something between 26 and 73 and would the Giants be interested? GWS hold 56 and 74 and would they accept our F3 or better still Hawks F3?

56 - becomes 47
74 - becomes 56

We end up with 12, 26, 56, 73, 74 and 81 which after bids becomes 15, 30, 47, 55, 56 and 61.

While not as sexy as getting another R1 or R2, the draft has decent depth at 47 to 61 and it only costs us a F3. We still have 2 x F1, 2 x F2, 1 x F3

WCE have strong interest in Charlie Nichols as a key backman this draft
Massey loves this kid a heap so if we trade that future second for picks this draft
Expect it to be used on him

I think Charlie Nichols is a very good athletic tall with a beautiful mark, his weakness was his shot for goal. I think he could become a good KPD!

Don't mind it. Reminds me a bit of Harry Jones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And it’s now official

Josh Rotham has been delisted

View attachment 2148784

Proposed Trade

Trade with Swans

Just musing...

As far as Future picks, I assume other clubs are going to assume WCE will be 15-17th and Hawthorn 4-6th (ish) in picks trades.

On draft night the 2024 picks will be visibly pushed back whilst the amount 2025 ones go back is a bit unknown, but I assume they go back more than the equivalent 2024 ones.

12 26 28 31 would be really interesting. I can see some gems in that range, and a surprise slider.

We should target 2 mids and 2 defenders.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

We will definitely be on the look-out for defenders in this draft - likely our first two picks will be used on them. IIRC, we have lost four backmen, Rotham, JJ, Barrass and Witherton. That's a big hole left in the team, and Gov doesn't have much longer either. Ideally, I would love a Josh Weddell type, [Tauru maybe], a transition type, [Lindsey perhaps], and a lockdown defender [Dennis maybe] at our pick in the 20s.

You would not resign or retire though.

You wait until your employer medically retires you and incurs an obligation to pay compensation.

That's the issue.
How is it that compensation only arises if the Eagles de-list him?

Surely it’s not unfair dismissal if he no longer has a contract. The risk of a workers’ comp claim or negligence claim for causing personal injury would arise irrespective of whether he’s de-listed wouldn’t it? The amount of compensation payable might be increased if he was de-listed and didn’t find other employment, but I doubt that’s a sound reason to keep a guy on the list.

View attachment 2148784

Proposed Trade

Trade with Swans

I’d be weary of trading out both the F2s, I feel they’ll be more beneficial to us next year.

Allen is a low-risk pick, the worst case scenario he winds up on the HBF or wing. So it comes down to a question of needs. I want a clean hands/ ground ball player and none of Tauru, TT or Allen fit the bill.

Bo Allen is excellent by foot in terms of depth and power, ball speed and trajectory. I don't know how someone could say TT is a good kick and Allen is a bad kick. Allen's barrier to being a midfielder are his hands in close.
Allen has the same midfield barrier that ginbey has in production. Just doesn't naturally find the football .

Both play better in defence where the ball comes to them .

Both put into the middle in the u18s due to size and athletic ability and did alright vs smaller opponents but didn't rack it up like you want from a mid .

I don't hate the Allen pick I just don't see him as a mid which should be our number 1 priority

Allen has the same midfield barrier that ginbey has in production. Just doesn't naturally find the football .

Both play better in defence where the ball comes to them .

Both put into the middle in the u18s due to size and athletic ability and did alright vs smaller opponents but didn't rack it up like you want from a mid .

I don't hate the Allen pick I just don't see him as a mid which should be our number 1 priority

Here is Ginbey’s U18 AA wrap. I still think he will be a mid when fully developed. His size / strength / power combo will get to a level to monster guys in there over the next couple seasons I reckon. Got to remember his age and he isn’t fully formed yet - which is scary:

IMG_6588.jpeg

From the 2021 playing list (of 42) only 15 now remain, which could become 14 if Luke Edwards is moved on. Seven of them played in our 2018 premiership

Two thirds of our playing list replaced in 4 years

I think tom clurey is a formality from here.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back