List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:

Clurey is solid back up option but already 30 and only required of a few I injuries. Mehhh

DGB, loads younger and has talent just seems to be suffering in the confidence stakes. Surely his tank is on the improve too from where it was a few years back.
He seems more boom or bust type, I'd rather take the risk on DGB than Clurey.

I'd still be targeting a kpd in the draft too.

Clurey is solid back up option but already 30 and only required of a few I injuries. Mehhh

DGB, loads younger and has talent just seems to be suffering in the confidence stakes. Surely his tank is on the improve too from where it was a few years back.

Still super young for a KPD too, although from Hawthorns pov you can understand why they would’ve wanted more at this stage from a pick 6.

Players are usually delisted for a reason (Kane Lucas and Cale Morton spring to mind as highly rated juniors that got given multiple opportunities), but I feel like the chance a KPP can turn it around it higher. Plus it would make the Barrass trade far more palatable if we ended up with his replacement.

We've just cut a fair few potatoes, can we avoid replacing them instantly with more like DGB? Thanks.
Would be funny as shit if we turned him into a gun defender, after they dropped him for Barrass though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is Ginbey’s U18 AA wrap. I still think he will be a mid when fully developed. His size / strength / power combo will get to a level to monster guys in there over the next couple seasons I reckon. Got to remember his age and he isn’t fully formed yet - which is scary:

View attachment 2148907
Just like bo allen , ginbey a HBF played midfield in the under 18s champs .

Averaging 21 touches isn't great as one of your prime midfielders . You need to be averaging 25-30 when playing exclusively midfield.

If we draft bo allen intending him to be a defender that's fine if Travaglia is gone .

If we are drafting bo allen intending him to be a midfielder that's where I have a problem . There will be half a dozen guys with better midfield prospects potentially at that pick

Just like bo allen , ginbey a HBF played midfield in the under 18s champs .

Averaging 21 touches isn't great as one of you prime midfielders . You need to be averaging 25-30 when playing exclusively midfield.

If we draft bo allen intending him to be a defender that's fine if Travaglia is gone .

If we are drafting bo allen intending him to be a midfielder that's where I have a problem . There will be half a dozen guys with better midfield prospects potentially at that pick

we have enough midfielders, we need more defenders

From the 2021 playing list (of 42) only 15 now remain, which could become 14 if Luke Edwards is moved on. Seven of them played in our 2018 premiership

Two thirds of our playing list replaced in 4 years
No, you don't understand, we haven't even started our rebuild yet!

But seriously, this is a great stat to show the level of turnover. New coach will need at least 12 months to bed in a gameplan, but I'd expect us to push for finals in 2026.

So for those that wanted to lynch Clarke, I believe he has nailed the delisted players. The Luke Edwards concussion piece is still likely to occur but not on our desired timeline. Worst case I can see is AFL drag their feet and we open up a spot via train on SSP.

I am reflecting on what has happened in trade season.

The mistake was not to split the pick. The mistake was giving up too much for Baker which was a matter of timing.

Darling Trade

Would have liked 67 but sod all in it for me on 62 or 67. I would have also waited until later with Norf as you cannot give up 67 if you do not hold it. Let Jack and Norf know that it was agreed but hold off doing the deal.

Split 3 Early
The problem was that we all knew Richmond would have a suite of picks post trades with Bolton and Rioli and we had expected to be able to deal with them in isolation. Mistake. We wanted a split of 3 and a trade of Baker with the same club. Big mistake. When you consider that Blues gave up a F1 and F2 for 14, I see little difference on Hawks or Blues F1 and F2. Do the deal with Carlton on the split and give just 3 in return for 12, F1, F2 and Owies. Maybe we needed to offer 63 for Owies but possibly not if we go early.

Barrass Trade
Tom for 14 plus the sweetener of Hawks F3 with our F4 coming back. That in essence is what we got in the end. Just do it and do it early but after the split of 3.

Baker Trade
Now we have our hand set, we address Baker. Offer 19 for Baker (I believe Sydney were up for 19 and 22 for 14) or give Tigers the option of 14 and a couple of R3 picks coming back.

We would have finished with
Option A- Baker and 2 R3 picks for 14
Draft hand - 12, 26, 43, 51 and 67

Option B- Baker for 22
Draft hand - 12, 22 26 and 67

Still hold similar future picks but tied to Blues not Hawks.

Oh well, I hope that Don is aware and makes sure you have experienced and successful negotiators in the future.

NB: I am obviously not letting this Baker for 14 problem go away. Pity Duggan has jumper 14 as I would prefer to give it to Baker so that I remember in 5 years time.

Clurey is a real break glass sort of pick, Tomlinson same age would be a much better prospect.
Not keen on either TBH as it reeks of desperation.

AS for DGB ...... no harm I guess to get him in and have a look see, you would think he would be heading home back to Swan Districts anyway.

If I was to take a look at any of the Hawks castoffs for a KPD backup, I would much prefer Ethan Phillips, only 25 and I though his KPD work, at Port Melbourne, pre being picked up by the Hawks, was pretty bloody impressive.
With them bringing in TB, Battle and keeping Frosty, I feel that Phillips has fallen victim to depth chart squeeze.

I would much prefer him that Clurey, Tomlinson or DGB as an KPD fall back option

Although the sick vindictive part of me , would love DGB to come good with us and show the Hawks that they blew a player that they spent pick 6 on, in the 2020 National draft.
Would be a nice turnabout to the obnoxious dick swinging Hawks fans.

Now not advocating that we pick him up but I was very surprised that Port cut Tom Scully, he is still only 19 and 203 cm KPF require time to develop.
I guess Port are in the must win here and now.

I suspect Scully goes back to West Adelaide and develops his craft in the SANFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back