List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
we have enough midfielders, we need more defenders
What ? We had only decent 3 mids this season yeo , Kelly and Harley.

Plenty of backs going into next season

Defenders / HBF Duggan , cole , hough , ginbey , hunt the you could switch up chesser , brockman , ryan

Talls gov , Hedwards, bazzo , maric , jamo .

Here is Ginbey’s U18 AA wrap. I still think he will be a mid when fully developed. His size / strength / power combo will get to a level to monster guys in there over the next couple seasons I reckon. Got to remember his age and he isn’t fully formed yet - which is scary:

View attachment 2148907
Ginbey is a big unit but one thing majority of those big powerful mid possess are great lower body and core strength. He’s the complete opposite in that regards.

Although the sick vindictive part of me , would love DGB to come good with us and show the Hawks that they blew a player that they spent pick 6 on, in the 2020 National draft.
Would be a nice turnabout to the obnoxious dick swinging Hawks
It really would be satisfying wouldn't it.

He has talent, looked great in his draft year & talls can take ages to come on.

Bazzo’s injuries last two seasons have both hurt and stagnated his career. He looked really promising in his first year. Jack Reiwoldt gave a glowing endorsement after they played on each in 2022.

What ? We had only decent 3 mids this season yeo , Kelly and Harley.

Plenty of backs going into next season

Defenders / HBF Duggan , cole , hough , ginbey , hunt the you could switch up chesser , brockman , ryan

Talls gov , Hedwards, bazzo , maric , jamo .

You named our starting defenders and then named a midfielder and 2 forwards as replacements?

We've delisted JJ, Witherden, and Rotham, and brought in a Mid, a Forward/Mid, and a forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So for those that wanted to lynch Clarke, I believe he has nailed the delisted players. The Luke Edwards concussion piece is still likely to occur but not on our desired timeline. Worst case I can see is AFL drag their feet and we open up a spot via train on SSP.

I am reflecting on what has happened in trade season.

The mistake was not to split the pick. The mistake was giving up too much for Baker which was a matter of timing.

Darling Trade
Would have liked 67 but sod all in it for me on 62 or 67. I would have also waited until later with Norf as you cannot give up 67 if you do not hold it. Let Jack and Norf know that it was agreed but hold off doing the deal.

Split 3 Early
The problem was that we all knew Richmond would have a suite of picks post trades with Bolton and Rioli and we had expected to be able to deal with them in isolation. Mistake. We wanted a split of 3 and a trade of Baker with the same club. Big mistake. When you consider that Blues gave up a F1 and F2 for 14, I see little difference on Hawks or Blues F1 and F2. Do the deal with Carlton on the split and give just 3 in return for 12, F1, F2 and Owies. Maybe we needed to offer 63 for Owies but possibly not if we go early.

Barrass Trade
Tom for 14 plus the sweetener of Hawks F3 with our F4 coming back. That in essence is what we got in the end. Just do it and do it early but after the split of 3.

Baker Trade
Now we have our hand set, we address Baker. Offer 19 for Baker (I believe Sydney were up for 19 and 22 for 14) or give Tigers the option of 14 and a couple of R3 picks coming back.

We would have finished with
Option A- Baker and 2 R3 picks for 14
Draft hand - 12, 26, 43, 51 and 67

Option B- Baker for 22
Draft hand - 12, 22 26 and 67

Still hold similar future picks but tied to Blues not Hawks.

Oh well, I hope that Don is aware and makes sure you have experienced and successful negotiators in the future.

NB: I am obviously not letting this Baker for 14 problem go away. Pity Duggan has jumper 14 as I would prefer to give it to Baker so that I remember in 5 years time.
Lol “he’s nailed the delisted players” is a very low bar for praise.

My nan could see that those players needed to be delisted.

Should we take one and whonever we take as depth, gotta hope it's one year max. Spots next year are looking slim so hoping we take more rookies then back end ND picks and these leftover guys on a single year contract.

We have what 3 FS/academy players in our sight + a bumper crop for WA talent and/or warner.

You named our starting defenders and then named a midfielder and 2 forwards as replacements?

We've delisted JJ, Witherden, and Rotham, and brought in a Mid, a Forward/Mid, and a forward.
JJ witherden and rotham were not afl standard.

B cole Hedwards maric
HB Duggan McGovern Ginbey

Hough and hunt rotating wing / defence

Chesser and brockman next step is HBF .

Maric is a no brainer to move back to his pre draft position.

Plenty of other options to play back too .

Word out of west coast is they want yeo to play more defence to prolong his career .

Look at getting prior as a DFA

Look at Denver Granger barrass as a train on

We get spanked in the middle every week its more important to get that right first .

JJ witherden and rotham were not afl standard.

B cole Hedwards maric
HB Duggan McGovern Ginbey

Hough and hunt rotating wing / defence

Chesser and brockman next step is HBF .

Maric is a no brainer to move back to his pre draft position.

Plenty of other options to play back too .

Word out of west coast is they want yeo to play more defence to prolong his career .

Look at getting prior as a DFA

Look at Denver Granger barrass as a train on

We get spanked in the middle every week its more important to get that right first .

My point is you said we had "plenty of backs" and then listed chesser, brockman, ryan, and maric, who are not backs.

I'm not disagreeing with the delistings, just pointing out the hole it's created

for those that wanted to lynch Clarke, I believe he has nailed the delisted players. The Luke Edwards concussion piece is still likely to occur but not on our desired timeline. Worst case I can see is AFL drag their feet and we open up a spot via train on SSP
It doesn’t change my opinion of him one iota but credit when credit is due provided Luke Edwards is moved on he’s got the delistings 100% correct. Would like to see Burgiel rookied or taken in the SSP if he stays fit over summer.

My point is you said we had "plenty of backs" and then listed chesser, brockman, ryan, and maric, who are not backs.

I'm not disagreeing with the delistings, just pointing out the hole it's created
Maric is a back he moved forward after he didn't get drafted .

Chesser was a HBF pre draft .

At least we have a full complement of backs

We have 5 mids and need 8 .

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back