List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not my bathroom mate. I'm not a freak.

Larry David Reaction GIF

Maric is a back he moved forward after he didn't get drafted .

Chesser was a HBF pre draft .

At least we have a full complement of backs

We have 5 mids and need 8 .
And if we are serious about a rebuild, Yeos future isn't in the midfield full-time. His body won't tolerate it. He should be rotated down back and finish his career there. TK the same but on the wing or HFF. We need mids.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Whilst the draft hand of 12, 26, 73, 81 and 99 sounds bad, the picks used on matched bids should see us with the following actual picks used on a player on draft night (I could post the spreadsheet or suggest you just believe me. Oh, I am ignoring the Campo twins as they become minor noise).

12 - becomes 15 (Ashcroft, Lombard and Kako matched before us)
26 - become 30 (Marshall matched before us)
73 - becomes 55 (picks used up in between)
81 - becomes 61 (ditto plus list spots)

It would be nice to get something between 26 and 73 and would the Giants be interested? GWS hold 56 and 74 and would they accept our F3 or better still Hawks F3?

56 - becomes 47
74 - becomes 56

We end up with 12, 26, 56, 73, 74 and 81 which after bids becomes 15, 30, 47, 55, 56 and 61.

While not as sexy as getting another R1 or R2, the draft has decent depth at 47 to 61 and it only costs us a F3. We still have 2 x F1, 2 x F2, 1 x F3
Brisbane don’t have the list spots to take 7 picks to the draft.

I expect we’ll try and trade 60 & 66 if at all possible.

But in terms of responsible list management, there’s no way I would be trading for a future 3rd for a pick you know a team can not take to the draft, unless that pick was in the 40’s.

I’d actually be looking at St Kilda’s pick 47.

They also have an nga kid who is probably a later selection, and because he’s going to be bid on after the kids you mentioned your pick 73 will have moved up enough to cover a bid when it does come. So Hawks F3 plus your 73 for 47. 47 potentially moves up to 43.

That Giants pick 56 I have potentially moving up 7 spots.

Just like bo allen , ginbey a HBF played midfield in the under 18s champs .

Averaging 21 touches isn't great as one of your prime midfielders . You need to be averaging 25-30 when playing exclusively midfield.

If we draft bo allen intending him to be a defender that's fine if Travaglia is gone .

If we are drafting bo allen intending him to be a midfielder that's where I have a problem . There will be half a dozen guys with better midfield prospects potentially at that pick

Oh yeah, tell me more

IMG_6589.jpeg IMG_6590.jpeg IMG_6591.jpeg

low risk, low-reward. He’s shite man. No benefit here. The 2020 draft class is a bunch of potatoes
Hypcorite much

Nostradamus here making a prediction on a guy never given a real shot

I think he is more worthy of a shot then Clurrey as he is more versatile and has 10 years ahead of him.

While not every top 10 pick works out, there had to be some talent for him to go at number 6 only a few years ago. As pointed out, it's basically no risk so why not have a punt.

SPS says hi.

Seriously though, I wouldn't hate it if DGB took a spot on the rookie list you generally want to give a bloke like that a second chance in a new system. That said, we don't really need to do this. Or pick up that other 30 year old tweener.

I don't really buy into this sudden "we've only got 2 KPD's" on the list crap though. We have Bazzo and Jamieson who have both played there at WAFL and AFL level [people were absolutely frothing over Jamo early last season to the point they said Harry Edwards would be delisted because he was so useless nobody would even want him in a trade] and also we have an absolute plethora of options up forward and Oscar Allen started his career in defence and plays well up there. Half the board are putting Maric down back in their best 23 for next year and a Barnett switch to defence is also possibly in the works.

We could lose both of Gov and Edwards and still field a 22 with KPD's it'd just require moving Allen back after the 2nd one goes down. And if we did move Allen back, and it was a backline of,

B: Hough, Bazzo, Maric
HB: Ginbey, Allen, Duggan

And forward line of,

F: Oweez, Waterman, Ryan
HF: Kelly, J Williams, Baker

That would be absolutely fine, as long as we are seeing improvements in team defence and an increase in supply to the forward line. A team without Edwards and Gov that makes a forced Allen switch back and plays Jack Williams permanently forward wouldn't even appreciably impact our ceiling next season as long as all the other things we need to improve come through. And the club would be idiots not to prepare Allen for an Adam Hunter swing type role over summer, whether we end up needing him to swing or not.

Not arguing you and more supporting you but aren’t the quarters shorter or something in the champs?

I like Ginbey off HB and don’t mind it for now - still think it’s way early to say the ship has sailed on him becoming an elite mid as he develops further. Showed more than most when moved there for the champs.

I think but not sure that they don’t have time on for the champs, could be mistaken though

And if we are serious about a rebuild, Yeos future isn't in the midfield full-time. His body won't tolerate it. He should be rotated down back and finish his career there. TK the same but on the wing or HFF. We need mids.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep said it in the post before that one .

West coast want Yeo to transition back to defence to prolong his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Ginbey off HB and don’t mind it for now - still think it’s way early to say the ship has sailed on him becoming an elite mid as he develops further. Showed more than most when moved there for the champs.

I think but not sure that they don’t have time on for the champs, could be mistaken though
Yeo was 24 turning 25 when he became a gun mid. Plenty of time but more important thing is getting some confidence and form into Ginbey. He seemed to have that when he went defence.

I remember cal talking bout it years ago. Don’t pay attention to the draft as such these days. Perhaps they don’t have time on in the champs games

You would have a valid point if ginbey hadn't failed to find the ball in the middle and been moved to the backline .

Your point was that 21d at u18 champs level was deficient. I just gave you three prospective top 10 mids from this years very strong draft who had similar numbers.

I for one aren’t writing off a just turned 20yr old off because he hasn’t dominated the middle yet at AFL level. I think Ginbey will end up being really something through there. Plenty of examples of accumulating midfield kids that come in and get touches but turn out a bit vanilla, also lots that hit their straps at 22/23/24 and go on to become elite

Last edited:
I dunno reading the insta comments on his delisting, it seems the average joe thinks he’s an absolute gun
From memory his first season or two was super promising and then it (much like everything else at our once great club) went downhill reeeeeeall fast.

From memory his first season or two was super promising and then it (much like everything else at our once great club) went downhill reeeeeeall fast.
Yeah 2019/20 very promosing and just fell of a cliff come mid 2021. Bar that game where he rucked and kicked a few I hardly remembered any good games. Frustrating thing was alot of those games post mid 2021 weren’t even passable games and most were trash games.

Your point that 21d at u18 champs level was deficient. I just gave you three prospective top 10 mids from this years very strong draft who had similar numbers.

I for one aren’t writing off a just turned 20yr old off because he hasn’t dominated the middle yet at AFL level. I think Ginbey will end up being really something through there. Plenty of examples of accumulating midfield kids that came come in and get touches but turn out a bit vanilla, also lots that hit their straps at 22/23/24 and become elite in there
I'll give you smillie he was shit and should have done better is that a sign he may not transition at afl level ? Maybe

Draiper had just come back from injury and was on limited minutes and didn't have a fitness base . He then went on to get high numbers vs men in the sanfl league.

Xavier Lindsay was BOG in the last game of the champs with 30 touches .

What was ginbeys and bo allens highest possession games in the champs ?

Bazzo’s injuries last two seasons have both hurt and stagnated his career. He looked really promising in his first year. Jack Reiwoldt gave a glowing endorsement after they played on each in 2022.
This is going to be Bazzo's breakout year, lock it in, he's going to be a star

Bazzo’s injuries last two seasons have both hurt and stagnated his career. He looked really promising in his first year. Jack Reiwoldt gave a glowing endorsement after they played on each in 2022.

Unfortunately the same old story with a lot of our unearthed young talent.

Hewett, Long, Culley...

I sincerely think - with a bit of luck on the injury front - we have assembled most of the core of our next premiership window. But reality hits, and injuries cut short careers before they even begin.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back