List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is Smillie or Draper will still be there at Saints pick 8 and we live trade pick 12 and Hawks F1 for the pick.

An absolute overpay but how can anyone trust Clarke right now.
I wouldn't be surprised if we made that move for Draper, however I think Smillie will be the slider of the draft - WCE just delisted a 193cm mid/fwd for being too slow so I hope they don't pick him.

We can only hope that after viewing the 2024 finals series (with the exception of the 100+ mark GF of the Lions, which the Swans stupidly allowed them play), the WCE coaching team can conclude that finals football is high contested ball, pressure and post clearance groundball.

No more 193cm utility types with midfield potential.

We can't and shouldn't allow Warner to be a factor at all in our trade decisions. The people in the media suggesting we should, like Gossage and many others, are total morons. They would actually be even worse at list management than Matt Clarke. There are so many maybe's in the Warner scenario. There is no guarantee he will leave Sydney. I find it hard to believe that he would.

And if he does i am sure he would prefer Freo. How often do A grade players leave a club they are at and nominate a bottom 2 or 3 club to go to? Pretty much never. I don't think it would ever happen unless that club agreed to pay them massively overs, or there was a genuine reason to believe that club was about to catapult into the 8.

If he decides to leave Sydney and if he doesn't shut the door on us due to our position in the premiership clock then lets deal with that if and when it happens and try and put something together. But at this stage all of that is extremely unlikely and totally out of our control or ability to foresee. So it should not be a factor in any decision making process.

Looking at how WCE and Freo got bent over during this Trade period, I would argue that having a weaker draft hand and then forcing future picks to be part of a possible Warner trade to be the best case scenario. Use our 2025 1st rounders to get back into the 1st round of 2024 could get us another 1-2 gun mids this yr and then adding a 24 yr old Warner next year give us some depth in our midfield long term. If Warner picks WCE, given historical precedent, Swans will have to make do with our best (fair) offer.

I'm also quietly optimistic about the midfield futures of Clay Hall, HJ (wingman), Jack Hutchinson (future gun inside mid?) as well as Hewett and Ginbey. I also see Brady Hough as a Will Day/Steinglein midfield type potentially as well.

Furthermore, Warner is coming back to WA for a number of reasons - with money and family being a big factor. Freo are much better placed for a premiership tilt but unless they trade Darcy or Brayshaw this year, their contract offer compared to WC's will be significantly less. Both clubs will offer a 6-8 yr contract but WC will likely be an extra $2-3 million over the term.

Warner will pick WCE if we can get our shit together and start operating like the elite professional organisation we were back in the 'olden days

Last edited:
Warner has caught up with Pyke for golf when returning to Perth a couple of times, WC is definitely his preferred option, more money, successful club, and a plan is well and truly in place.
It’s your usual negative posters saying he wants to go to Freo at play, WC have stuffed it up, Clarke has got a clue, there’s no plan, baker, baker, baker, etc, etc, etc
Just leave ‘em to talk shit……………….and then with open arms take Warner next year.

Where are they magically pulling the cap space for him?
They had the cap space to potentially chase Pickett and most of there core is tied up except brayshaw really. They could offer a decent amount I’d expect we would blow it out the water but it’s possible however they would have to be careful of any future cap ramifications

Just a conversation starter, but do we, depending on who falls, call freo at 14 and split our F1 with them??

Our F1 for 14 and their F1 (like between 8-16). Adds a bit of spice to the derby next year and we still hold two F1s for Warner if we need them.

Naahhh probably a bad idea.

We'll make a play for him but he's Freo bound you'd think. Getting a couple of future picks for Barrass had more to do with poor trading and allowing Hawks to trade out of this years draft (and only being able to accept future picks in a compromised draft as a result) as opposed to stockpiling future picks for Warner imo.

So freo will have Warner and have money left over for:

Brayshaw
Serong
Young
Jackson
Bolton
Darcy
Ryan

Followed by the next lot requiring a boost at some point in time:
Treacy
Clark
Cox (someone will throw a kitchen sink)
Amiss

Find that hard to believe and less so that we can’t simply add on a lazy quarter mill on whatever they offer.

Now they could decide to trade out Darcy and would do it in a heartbeat. But either way, they will have cap issues.

Agree with all of this apart from Ruscoe. Ideal from here assuming Tobie is gone would be:
12-Lindsay
26-Oliver
73-Stumpf
Rookie-Knobel
Rookie-Dennis
Cat B-Champion

Wouldn’t leave any room for DFA/SSP Carroll, Burgiel, DGB etc and we’d need to move Maric and Hutch to the main list and Dewar to Cat A rookie as well as delisting LEdwards.
Shame we can't pay sheed out. Or possibly Jamieson

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

So freo will have Warner and have money left over for:

Brayshaw
Serong
Young
Jackson
Bolton
Darcy
Ryan

Followed by the next lot requiring a boost at some point in time:
Treacy
Clark
Cox (someone will throw a kitchen sink)
Amiss

Find that hard to believe and less so that we can’t simply add on a lazy quarter mill on whatever they offer.

Now they could decide to trade out Darcy and would do it in a heartbeat. But either way, they will have cap issues.

It's definitely believable that Freo will find some cap space for them.... they have some very creative accountants down in Cockburn but that's not to say their list management is strong.

You could argue they have been terrible at managing their salary cap since Ross the Boss left, having had the following B22 players request trades out of Fremantle for various reasons (with money and opportunity the primary):
Acres, Logue, Schultz, Meek, Henry, Lobb and Tucker. (earlier Cerra, Brad Hill, Lachie Neale as well)

So Freo need to weigh up who's going to walk out if Warner walks in...

Whereas WC has lost the following players the last 3 years, all of who would of been in our top 10 earners in the salary cap:
Kennedy, Hurn, Gaff, Shuey, Naitanui, Darling, Barrass
Leaving McGovern, Yeo and Kelly (now Allen and Waterman) as our highest earners.

Surely the allocated money from the underlined players above (as well as Sheed) can be allocated to attract talented players moving forward and not used to increase the salaries of our current under-performing list.

=> GET THE CHAD

Shame we can't pay sheed out. Or possibly Jamieson

We can, but we’d burn a small hole for next year’s cap. Zac Langdon/Tom Clurey treatment although they may have been able to shift their salary into the one year.

Jamo is recovering well from multiple operations and we probably need him as KPD depth with Barrass gone.

We can't and shouldn't allow Warner to be a factor at all in our trade decisions. The people in the media suggesting we should, like Gossage and many others, are total morons. They would actually be even worse at list management than Matt Clarke. There are so many maybe's in the Warner scenario. There is no guarantee he will leave Sydney. I find it hard to believe that he would.

And if he does i am sure he would prefer Freo. How often do A grade players leave a club they are at and nominate a bottom 2 or 3 club to go to? Pretty much never. I don't think it would ever happen unless that club agreed to pay them massively overs, or there was a genuine reason to believe that club was about to catapult into the 8.

If he decides to leave Sydney and if he doesn't shut the door on us due to our position in the premiership clock then lets deal with that if and when it happens and try and put something together. But at this stage all of that is extremely unlikely and totally out of our control or ability to foresee. So it should not be a factor in any decision making process.
But you don't want Warner to want to come to us and have nothing to pay for him. If we didn't trade #3, we're not in this problem of trying to get back into the draft. We have an F1 next year that can be used for Warner, or another player in next year's draft.

My guess is Smillie or Draper will still be there at Saints pick 8 and we live trade pick 12 and Hawks F1 for the pick.

An absolute overpay but how can anyone trust Clarke right now.
That would mean

Out: #3, TB
In: #8, Baker, F2

The net result is giving up TB for an F2 that might end up #40.

That's the corner Clarke has backed us into.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like fixing the club is taking priority of fixing this midfield this offseason.

With that in mind I would be against using the draft to give ourselves to best possible chance of finding our future KPDs trying to trade in/back to give us two picks in the 30s to take two of O’farrell, Mraz, Barrat and/or the SA lad.

12 has to be TT (unlikely) or Lindsay but will most probably be Allen.

We then go into 2025 offseason offering H1, R2 and F1 for Warner and take Rodriguez/Sharpe with our R1 along with starcevich as FA

Hough Hedwards Duggan
Ginbey Gov Maric
Baker Yeo Lindsay
Hutchinson waterman Long
JWill Allen Dewar
Flynn Reid. kelly

Graham, Bazzo, Hewett, Johnston

Hough Hewards Starcevich
Ginbey barrat Maric
Baker Reid Lindsay
Hutchinson waterman Long
JWill. Allen Dewar
Ruck Warner. Hewett

Rodriguez, Kelly, Yeo, Bazzo

Just a conversation starter, but do we, depending on who falls, call freo at 14 and split our F1 with them??

Our F1 for 14 and their F1 (like between 8-16). Adds a bit of spice to the derby next year and we still hold two F1s for Warner if we need them.

Naahhh probably a bad idea.
Our F1 is going to likely be a top 5 pick. The biggest issue people have on here is the club coughing up top 5 picks. If we have to use it for Warner, so be it. Pick #12 this year is in no man's land, let alone #14.

We have been woeful on the back of 10 years without a top 10 pick, and people just want to throw away top 5 picks. Crazy talk.

If it is the club's opinion that Yeo's body can't handle playing midfield anymore (and they are probably right about that) then why did we just give him a 3 year contract extension (immediately after which he got injured again and his output fell off a cliff)? More Matt Clarke magic.

Geez the Matt Clarke pile on just keeps going.

So tell us. Have we ever extended a contract longer than we all think is smart?

Or is that now happenening for the first time with Clarke now in the role?

Our F1 is going to likely be a top 5 pick. The biggest issue people have on here is the club coughing up top 5 picks. If we have to use it for Warner, so be it. Pick #12 this year is in no man's land, let alone #14.

We have been woeful on the back of 10 years without a top 10 pick, and people just want to throw away top 5 picks. Crazy talk.

"So be it"? Use the F1st trading for Warner?

Or bring it forward?

Last edited:
But you don't want Warner to want to come to us and have nothing to pay for him. If we didn't trade #3, we're not in this problem of trying to get back into the draft. We have an F1 next year that can be used for Warner, or another player in next year's draft.

Looking at 2 OOC players who moved to their clubs of choice this trade period, Baker to WCE and Bazlenka to Geelong... I would say this shows that the more assets we publicly have, the more the Swans will want.

If we trade our F1 and F2 to get back into this year, Sydney can't demand those picks that we don't have.

Trade our F1 to ideally Richmond for their pick 11 & 20 (let them take Bo Allan at 10) and take the sliding mids of the first and second rounds. (and Trainor)

My guess would be Melbourne, Saints and GWS each pick a mid and a KPP with their 1st rd picks.

I also firmly believe that if Sid Draper was playing in the TAC cup he would be rated top 3 and definitely ahead of Jagga Smith. If Crows don't take Draper and he slides I would go hard for him.

Possible mid sliders due to KPP drafting: Smillie, Draper, TT, Lindsay, Hynes, Dattoli, Gross, Moraes

Wow.

So much wrong in that.

How do we know? Don visiting Warner twice that we know of. We are in dcussions with his manager. Reported he wants to return to WA in 12 months with his WA partner.

So I suggest the clubs knows plenty in what Chad will do in 12 months.

So to not plan ahead using this knowledge would be what? Good business?

All clubs plan ahead mate. They dont sit at the office playing computer games waiting for someone to call. List strategy and planning is done years in advance with multiple options in play.

We just cant afford to throw our 2025 f1 at Warner. No matter what
2026 f1, hawks f1, whatever else is fine. Swans will ask for more than just our 2025 1st pick, so that pick cant be used.

Idc if we split it into this year or keep it and use it next year on Rodriguez or whoever, it just cant go to Sydney for Warner under any circumstance

I dont have a lot of faith Clarke and the list management will do the right thing with that pick

If Warner nominates us, then he will come. Next year we have 2026 and 2027 future picks, we will have enough even if we refuse to use our 2025 1st rounders.

We can, but we’d burn a small hole for next year’s cap. Zac Langdon/Tom Clurey treatment although they may have been able to shift their salary into the one year.

Jamo is recovering well from multiple operations and we probably need him as KPD depth with Barrass gone.
Yeah was thinking more sheed. How good would it be if something clicked with Jamo tho and he really showed something in the backline

Yeah was thinking more sheed. How good would it be if something clicked with Jamo tho and he really showed something in the backline

Jamo and Barnett should both be training KPD over summer. If we could jag Max in the rookie draft it would be huge for us from a list build perspective.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back