List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like fixing the club is taking priority of fixing this midfield this offseason.

With that in mind I would be against using the draft to give ourselves to best possible chance of finding our future KPDs trying to trade in/back to give us two picks in the 30s to take two of O’farrell, Mraz, Barrat and/or the SA lad.

12 has to be TT (unlikely) or Lindsay but will most probably be Allen.

We then go into 2025 offseason offering H1, R2 and F1 for Warner and take Rodriguez/Sharpe with our R1 along with starcevich as FA

Hough Hedwards Duggan
Ginbey Gov Maric
Baker Yeo Lindsay
Hutchinson waterman Long
JWill Allen Dewar
Flynn Reid. kelly

Graham, Bazzo, Hewett, Johnston

Hough Hewards Starcevich
Ginbey barrat Maric
Baker Reid Lindsay
Hutchinson waterman Long
JWill. Allen Dewar
Ruck Warner. Hewett

Rodriguez, Kelly, Yeo, Bazzo

I have read a couple of posts now mentioning Starcevich as a FA. Are there even any rumblings that he wants to leave Brisbane?

Seems to be entrenched in that side as one of their key players down back.

If Warner nominates us, then he will come. Next year we have 2026 and 2027 future picks, we will have enough even if we refuse to use our 2025 1st rounders.
Fremantle signing Shai Bolton was then giving up on Chad Warner if you ask me.

In saying that a part of me also thinks Warner may wait for RFA to both chase a flag and push towards a bigger pay day at that time.

The whole list strategy years in adavance is nonesense. We cant even lock down Dev Robertson. We probably shouldnt pretend he will 100% join and the like :(

I have read a couple of posts now mentioning Starcevich as a FA. Are there even any rumblings that he wants to leave Brisbane?

Don't think so. A lot of wishful thinking, and might be more of a possibility now that he already has a flag in the back pocket.

It's similar to Warner. If he can win a flag next year is he more likely to leave? Maybe, as he's ticked that career box.

Part of the reasons i think we added Baker, Edwards and Owies is to show we are competitive and not a complete basket case, so that the Warner, Starcevich types might be interested to leave good situations if they think we are close to being properly competitive.

Lot of water to flow under both bridges though.

I really hate that we gave those late picks to Carlton, worried it could screw us with a champion bid should it come earlier then expected.

Imagine we go into next year with a deficit or have to pass on champion. Would be the icing on the cake.
This guy is an cossie pickett, and would be a pure star within his first couple of years.

I’d be happy with both of these
I can't believe we are considering Clurey. He will be 31 when the season starts and couldn't get a game in Ports side. He is the same height as Rotham and although probably tougher, he is not as quick and just an OK kick. The club is coming out of criticism of holding on to players past their use by date and now we are considering recruiting one? I could understand if experience was needed but we even after Barass has gone we still have McGovern, Cole, Duggan, Hunt as experienced players and both Edwards and Hough now have the experience to improve further. There must be better options.

I can't believe we are considering Clurey. He will be 31 when the season starts and couldn't get a game in Ports side. He is the same height as Rotham and although probably tougher, he is not as quick and just an OK kick. The club is coming out of criticism of holding on to players past their use by date and now we are considering recruiting one? I could understand if experience was needed but we even after Barass has gone we still have McGovern, Cole, Duggan, Hunt as experienced players and both Edwards and Hough now have the experience to improve further. There must be better options.
Gotta have more faith in Bazzo/Jamieson too. If we think so little of them then just delist them and take pick 118

Next player also just needs to 100% be a rookie listed player with a bit of versatility. Even if not DGB im happy to look at a guy Jake Pasini who had a good season in the WAFL

Gotta have more faith in Bazzo/Jamieson too. If we think so little of them then just delist them and take pick 118

Next player also just needs to 100% be a rookie listed player with a bit of versatility. Even if not DGB im happy to look at a guy Jake Pasini who had a good season in the WAFL
Jesus, let Bazzo have a few games before thinking we can rely on him, and Jamo has shown literally nothing so far while being constantly injured.
What a leap to go straight to delist territory

It would be irresponsible list management to go into the season with 4 KPDs, all with poor injury history, and 2 who havent even shown an ability to hold their own at AFL level yet.

Clurey would fill a role

I think you are a fraud. If I remember correctly you thought Harley Reid was not worth pick one, didn't have a tank was perhaps what you said. Lots of gullible people on big footy. If you are so close to it all you need to be sacked immediately, the recruitment department has ****ed up for the last 6 to 7 years. 2018 was a long time ago. The next time that we are truly in the "window" could be at least a decade away.

I think you are.

At least a decade before entering the window?

Six years since we last won it.

Add 10 so 16 years between contending?

We also made the GF in 2015. That was in the window.

The only way it takes 10 years to get in the window and contend is if we totally stuff up drafting and trading. Get stuff all academy kids of any quality. Harley leaves and we get stuff all in return.

So basically the club gets absolutely everything wrong and nothing right.

People who think this way I feel sorry for. I really do.

Supposedly conversations have been had with his management and the club. Wheels are in motion to a degree.

He is a FA in 2025.

Maybe he see's the Lions never ending academy production line pushing him out so he plans to chase that big contract back home.

Geez. Wonder if Briztoon has factored this into his Lions future list planning when the money starts looking thin.;)

Nah. Prob not. He only ack owledges academy kids and incoming players traded in. Not good players leaving.

Daniher retiring early and clubs chasing Lions premiership players as free agents. Ah chee will be next.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clurey would be the same as when we got Giles. Purely a depth pick up. Won't effect the team at all. Just there in case we need him.

All recruits must be 18 years old

All recruits must be top 10 draft picks

All recruits must play every AFL game

All recruits must be future AA

All recruits must toast their subs

Sorry guys but it's just not realistic. We need depth for when injuries hit, they're inevitable and we must prepare for them. Having some battlers with AFL ready bodies on the list allows for this.

Jesus, let Bazzo have a few games before thinking we can rely on him, and Jamo has shown literally nothing so far while being constantly injured.
What a leap to go straight to delist territory

It would be irresponsible list management to go into the season with 4 KPDs, all with poor injury history, and 2 who havent even shown an ability to hold their own at AFL level yet.

Clurey would fill a role
Let Bazzo know he will get a chance as opposed to shunted elsewhere to make way for a 31 year old. Once fit and with a full pre season id like to see him given the chance as the season progresses

Jamo should be delisted and replaced with Clurrey in your scenario IMO. If he has shown nothing and cant be relied on to do anything then boot his ass, just like Port did with Clurrey

It would irresponsible list management to give even 1 game to a 31 year old man who has no future at our club, especially when you can have 3 players who do have that chance first

All recruits must be 18 years old

All recruits must be top 10 draft picks

All recruits must play every AFL game

All recruits must be future AA

All recruits must toast their subs

Sorry guys but it's just not realistic. We need depth for when injuries hit, they're inevitable and we must prepare for them. Having some battlers with AFL ready bodies on the list allows for this.
Yeah, can't expect everyone to toast their sub.

So freo will have Warner and have money left over for:

Brayshaw
Serong
Young
Jackson
Bolton
Darcy
Ryan

Followed by the next lot requiring a boost at some point in time:
Treacy
Clark
Cox (someone will throw a kitchen sink)
Amiss

Find that hard to believe and less so that we can’t simply add on a lazy quarter mill on whatever they offer.

Now they could decide to trade out Darcy and would do it in a heartbeat. But either way, they will have cap issues.

Pretty much everyone you listed above bar Brayshaw is signed already to long contracts already. Their money is known and accounted for. I think we’re good

Our F1 is going to likely be a top 5 pick. The biggest issue people have on here is the club coughing up top 5 picks. If we have to use it for Warner, so be it. Pick #12 this year is in no man's land, let alone #14.

We have been woeful on the back of 10 years without a top 10 pick, and people just want to throw away top 5 picks. Crazy talk.

"Our F1 is going to likely be a top 5 pick."

Only way we don't finish bottom 5 is if the AFL discovers at least 15 other teams went to Vegas over the off season and partied with an unmentionable rapper, stole a bunch of Girl Scout cookies and on the way back, stopped over in NZ and played soccer with a Kiwi Bird, with everything posted it on Insta.

Warner is 23, not 33, if we get him next year he'll be 24 to Harley Reid's 20. They will be contemporaries for eight to 10 years. Also, Warner is not a top 10 pick but is worth more than a top 10 pick now. I agree we lack picks from the pointy end of the draft but that's not the be-all-and-end-all as Melbourne and Gold Coast can attest. Hopefully Hewitt comes good, maybe Hough can be elite etc.
If our 1st next year alone would get Warner then I'd be OK with that, but WC will pay overs....again.....we will give up way too much to get him and Sydney are already rubbing their hands together. With Tassie coming in we should be picking as many kids as we can because from 2027 they will be getting 4 to 5 first rounders for 3 consecutive drafts .

Last edited:
My guess is Smillie or Draper will still be there at Saints pick 8 and we live trade pick 12 and Hawks F1 for the pick.

An absolute overpay but how can anyone trust Clarke right now.

Emperors New Groove Crying GIF

Pretty much everyone you listed above bar Brayshaw is signed already to long contracts already. Their money is known and accounted for. I think we’re good
I cant see any of those being stoked at being overtaken by Chad Warner as the number 1 wage earner and by overtaken I mean obliterated. Not sure Serong will be happy with Chad Warner on 2x his wages

If our 1st next year alone would get Warner then I'd be OK with that, but WC will pay overs....again.....we will give up way too much to get him and Sydney are already rubbing their hands together. With Tassie coming in we should be picking as many kids as we can because the 2027 draft will see about 20 picks going their way.
If we commit to Warner the same way we did with Baker, sadly we will pay whatever price Sydney sets for him... 😥
Totally agree we need to build our list. Don't wanna see a repeat of the TK trade aftermath.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back