List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant see any of those being stoked at being overtaken by Chad Warner as the number 1 wage earner and by overtaken I mean obliterated. Not sure Serong will be happy with Chad Warner on 2x his wages

Sure…but they also understand the lay of the land…you might say the same about Reid…and…um…I dunno.

Sure…but they also understand the lay of the land…you might say the same about Reid…and…um…I dunno.
Dont think the lay of the land involves 5 million+ in cash im afraid. For Eagles Reid/Warner will get similar deals. We are lucky where we dont have anyone worth a squirt of fermented goat piss beneath those two so we got no one else to keep happy

Fremantle signing Shai Bolton was then giving up on Chad Warner if you ask me.

In saying that a part of me also thinks Warner may wait for RFA to both chase a flag and push towards a bigger pay day at that time.

The whole list strategy years in adavance is nonesense. We cant even lock down Dev Robertson. We probably shouldnt pretend he will 100% join and the like :(
Yeah but you can’t even spell adavance ploperly, or use apostrophe's, so I’m not so sure your opinion is too adavanced at all!

If our 1st next year alone would get Warner then I'd be OK with that, but WC will pay overs....again.....we will give up way too much to get him and Sydney are already rubbing their hands together. With Tassie coming in we should be picking as many kids as we can because from 2027 they will be getting 4 to 5 first rounders for 3 consecutive drafts .
We don't need to pay overs, we'll have the PSD threat.

Also, AFL's already said they want Tassie to be competitive from day one and won't be going down the same route as GC/GWS, so while they'll be getting first rounders, they'll be using those to trade for established talent in a lot of cases.

Also, AFL's already said they want Tassie to be competitive from day one and won't be going down the same route as GC/GWS, so while they'll be getting first rounders, they'll be using those to trade for established talent in a lot of cases.
Given we didn't use it for Baker, a dependable but unspectacular utility, I think we can put this argument in the bin. It's unlikely to be used by any club and even less likely to be used by West Coast.

Given we didn't use it for Baker, a dependable but unspectacular utility, I think we can put this argument in the bin. It's unlikely to be used by any club and even less likely to be used by West Coast.
Richmond had a pick before us. PSD threat doesn't exactly work when the player said they will just re-sign with the club that they're currently at, who has a pick before the club they want to go to.

Also, the threat is to reduce value, not pay a pittance.

I mean, we just saw Geelong use the National Draft as a threat to get Bailey Williams from Bulldogs, despite having a late first-rounder.

I very much doubt WCE would pay overs for a bloke they literally can get for free.

I see the reasoning for Clurey - a mature body in case all of our KPDs fall over since our depth there is on the thin side with Barrass and Rotham both gone. Not that Rotham was a true KPD but he was often the 3rd tall in defence. Clurey would also be useful in the WAFL providing experience down back to what is often a young side

He also costs nothing in draft capital and would be on a modest contract money wise

However, list spots are tight so the question becomes whether he’s the best use of that spot

Currently we have 6 spots available

In a deep draft we should be adding at least 3 new draftees plus Champion. So that’s 4 - minimum.

We can, and should, add a player as a DFA which is likely how Clurey finds his way onto the list should it happen. Alternatively, we’re said to be considering Jack Carroll as an option should Carlton delist him (which they’re yet to do). At just 22, Carroll would be a better option than Clurey who’s 30

The 6th spot we appear to be looking to leave open with a view to filling it via a SSP selection after inviting players as train ons - Burgiel might win his spot back this way. Denver Grainger-Barrass is another candidate

Perhaps, if something happens with Luke Edwards and another spot opens then Clurey might be viable. But for now recruiting him means we pass on either a younger DFA option, an extra draftee or a train on player

Clurey, to me is the last of those options and I’d prefer to recruit DGB if we want another key defender because whilst he’s been underwhelming there’s at least a potential upside there besides a 30 year old taking a list spot for a year

Not true at all. Gotten more correct then Daniels lately. He is cosy with the board nowadays who feed him stuff. He ran with the Simmo sacking many hours before anyone else did

Pfffft this board was talking about Simmo getting sacked in 2016.

We MUST to pay overs cos we promised Chad Warners girlfriend we would do it :(

We had the PSD threat for Baker ..... aaaaaaand we paid overs. Whether or not Tassie trade first rounders is kind of a moot point, they are still picks allocated to them regardless if they trade them or not.

Richmond had a pick before us. PSD threat doesn't exactly work when the player said they will just re-sign with the club that they're currently at, who has a pick before the club they want to go to.

Also, the threat is to reduce value, not pay a pittance.

I mean, we just saw Geelong use the National Draft as a threat to get Bailey Williams from Bulldogs, despite having a late first-rounder.

I very much doubt WCE would pay overs for a bloke they literally can get for free.
Baker was never re-signing with Richmond and Richmond weren't taking a player who didn't want to be there. We just didn't pull the trigger because that's not how it's done any more.

We had the PSD threat for Baker ..... aaaaaaand we paid overs. Whether or not Tassie trade first rounders is kind of a moot point, they are still picks allocated to them regardless if they trade them or not.
Again, we couldn't use the PSD threat with Baker because his current club finished lower and he already said he'd stay if a deal couldn't be worked out.

Do you think Sydney will finish below is next year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baker was never re-signing with Richmond and Richmond weren't taking a player who didn't want to be there. We just didn't pull the trigger because that's not how it's done any more.
Well, that's wrong. He already is on record saying he wanted 'fair compensation' for Richmond, meaning no way in hell he enters the PSD.

Pretty much everyone you listed above bar Brayshaw is signed already to long contracts already. Their money is known and accounted for. I think we’re good

I didnt say they had issues with keeping tabs on where money goes. But all of those and Warner?

Hmmm

And Brayshaw will demand more money than what Freo budgeted for, I think. There is no doubt I think that he would get $1.5m offers.

Also not sure what you are talking about, serong and young are free agents in 2027. Now it’s not in short term, but hardly “long term”.

Dont think the lay of the land involves 5 million+ in cash im afraid. For Eagles Reid/Warner will get similar deals. We are lucky where we dont have anyone worth a squirt of fermented goat piss beneath those two so we got no one else to keep happy
I'm never quite sure whether you're taking the goat's piss, or you're a genuine far quit......I'll go with the latter!

season 9 running in circles GIF

Again, we couldn't use the PSD threat with Baker because his current club finished lower and he already said he'd stay if a deal couldn't be worked out.

Do you think Sydney will finish below is next year?
No,Baker said he always intend to get to West West Coast. Freo had 10 , 18 on the board for Bolton, they added 11 to get Baker and the deal still did not go through. They got Bolton for 10, 11 18 and sent 14 and a F3 back to Freo . If Baker was ok to go to Freo they would have snapped up the first deal. no way does Richmond redraft a guy that wanted to leave. The PSD is only a threat if we have the balls to use it.... and we didn't.

No,Baker said he always intend to get to West West Coast. Freo had 10 , 18 on the board for Bolton, they added 11 to get Baker and the deal still did not go through. They got Bolton for 10, 11 18 and sent 14 and a F3 back to Freo . If Baker was ok to go to Freo they would have snapped up the first deal. no way does Richmond redraft a guy that wanted to leave. The PSD is only a threat if we have the balls to use it.... and we didn't.
Again, he'd have signed a 1 year deal most likely, than go to the PSD.

He wouldn't have done it, which is why it was never an option.

Clarke also has somewhat of a conflict of interest with Baker, having drafted him and worked for Richmond for 10+ years.

The difference with Warner is that we're likely to finish bottom 3, with 2 Vic clubs ahead of us.

For a player who would only want to return to WA, there's next to no chance either of those clubs (Rich/North) take him.

Aside from that, we can just use the ND threat, like Geelong did with Williams, where Warner could just nominate his terms and refuse to meet with any other club. We then use our first pick to take him and keep the rest, if Sydney try to drive too hard a bargain.

We couldn't have used that in Baker's case, because Richmond would've had a ton of picks before us and we didn't have a mid-teens pick, which was apparently the pre-agreed upon price.

Warner's situation is very different to Baker's.

I see the reasoning for Clurey - a mature body in case all of our KPDs fall over since our depth there is on the thin side with Barrass and Rotham both gone. Not that Rotham was a true KPD but he was often the 3rd tall in defence. Clurey would also be useful in the WAFL providing experience down back to what is often a young side

He also costs nothing in draft capital and would be on a modest contract money wise

However, list spots are tight so the question becomes whether he’s the best use of that spot

In a deep draft we should be adding at least 3 new draftees plus Champion. So that’s 4 - minimum.

We can, and should, add a player as a DFA which is likely how Clurey finds his way onto the list should it happen. Alternatively, we’re said to be considering Jack Carroll as an option should Carlton delist him (which they’re yet to do). At just 22, Carroll would be a better option than Clurey who’s 30

The 6th spot we appear to be looking to leave open with a view to filling it via a SSP selection after inviting players as train ons - Burgiel might win his spot back this way. Denver Grainger-Barrass is another candidate

Perhaps, if something happens with Luke Edwards and another spot opens then Clurey might be viable. But for now recruiting him means we pass on either a younger DFA option, an extra draftee or a train on player

Clurey, to me is the last of those options and I’d prefer to recruit DGB if we want another key defender because whilst he’s been underwhelming there’s at least a potential upside there besides a 30 year old taking a list spot for a year

I'd prefer caroll as our first priority. 22 inside mid.

Tall backs
Gov Edwards bazzo

Play tall
Yeo, ginbey, Jameson, AReid?, 24 draftee.

If we had Edwards spot open up maybe DGB based on age profile. But jeez we better do a medical/physical to see why 4yrs at the Hawks didn't work.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well, that's wrong. He already is on record saying he wanted 'fair compensation' for Richmond, meaning no way in hell he enters the PSD.
That was smoke and mirrors from Richmond at the beginning of trade period to drive up the price, he has since come out and said it was always his intention to get to west coast.

There’s uncertainty with Sheed too.

From all reports there was no way in hell baker would want to play with bolton again.

Two completely different set of morals. One gave up and bailed when contracted on good coin. The other left after his contract finished and ensured the tigers got something, if not overs for him.

That was smoke and mirrors from Richmond at the beginning of trade period to drive up the price, he has since come out and said it was always his intention to get to west coast.
There's no doubt WCE over-committed, especially after signing Graham first.

Still, the whole situation isn't as dire as people are making it out to be on here.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back