List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no doubt WCE over-committed, especially after signing Graham first.

Still, the whole situation isn't as dire as people are making it out to be on here.
Maybe not quite as dire , but we could have got baker for far less and kept our pick 3 , if we wanted to split it with Carlton we would be in this draft with 12, 14 and 26. now we just have 12 and 26 and we miss out on a FOS, Lalor, Smilie and still probably miss out on Travaglia. It was a complete balls up.

Maybe not quite as dire , but we could have got baker for far less and kept our pick 3 , if we wanted to split it with Carlton we would be in this draft with 12, 14 and 26. now we just have 12 and 26 and we miss out on a FOS, Lalor, Smilie and still probably miss out on Travaglia. It was a complete balls up.
If we got Baker for less, it would have been for 26, so we couldn't have gone into the draft with all of 12, 14 and 26. Still think we should have kept 3 and found other ways to get back into the draft.

Tom Morris-

Richmond trade 6 + 10 for 2

Cheers Matt Clarke thanks for 12, Baker and Owies and let's not forget 73

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's just completely guessing at what might happen though, its not from any inside word. His main point was that Richmond won't take that many picks to this draft

That trade won't happen imo, more like 6&18 or 10&11 for 2

Or Richmond trade for futures

All recruits must be 18 years old

All recruits must be top 10 draft picks

All recruits must play every AFL game

All recruits must be future AA

All recruits must toast their subs

Sorry guys but it's just not realistic. We need depth for when injuries hit, they're inevitable and we must prepare for them. Having some battlers with AFL ready bodies on the list allows for this.
Are you Matt Clarke? Because if you are? I believe there’s a really big protest headed your way Sonny Jim, you’d better watch your back!

Looking at 2 OOC players who moved to their clubs of choice this trade period, Baker to WCE and Bazlenka to Geelong... I would say this shows that the more assets we publicly have, the more the Swans will want.

If we trade our F1 and F2 to get back into this year, Sydney can't demand those picks that we don't have.

Trade our F1 to ideally Richmond for their pick 11 & 20 (let them take Bo Allan at 10) and take the sliding mids of the first and second rounds. (and Trainor)

My guess would be Melbourne, Saints and GWS each pick a mid and a KPP with their 1st rd picks.

I also firmly believe that if Sid Draper was playing in the TAC cup he would be rated top 3 and definitely ahead of Jagga Smith. If Crows don't take Draper and he slides I would go hard for him.

Possible mid sliders due to KPP drafting: Smillie, Draper, TT, Lindsay, Hynes, Dattoli, Gross, Moraes
I agree that the more you have, the more they expect, and the less you have, the less that have to accept.

BUT

What Warner worth? I say a top 5 and a pick around 15. More if in contract, less if he's OOC and wants to leave. We have Hawks F1. Could be anything between #8 and #18. Is 8 and our second enough for Warner? As you say, well it's going to have to. But what if Hawks come 3rd and it's 16 and our second? Do we risk losing him to Freo? Do we risk him resigning with Swans? If we have 2x F1, we don't have cough both up.

You want to trade F1 for 11 and 20? WTF?

This game is about quality, not quantity. I see people talk about all these guys we can run through the midfield, but unless they're tier 1, it's not worth discussing. We need to find another guy (or two) in Harley's league. It's unlikely we will find him at 11 or 20.

I'd be looking at Lindsey with #12, or a slider. If not, I'd seriously thing about trading it for an F1 (as long as we think they'll be bottom 6).

I legit never want to hear "walk them to the PSD" ever associated with this club again.

We could've done it with Brockman and didn't. We could've done it with Kelly and didn't. We could've done it with Baker and didn't. We could've done it with Owies and didn't.

Clearly our club is never going to do it, so for any commentary around us doing it (literally Lyon and Kane Cornes said on radio yesterday we'll be in a position to "walk Chad Warner to the PSD next year" 🤦‍♂️) is totally wrong.

Other clubs perhaps, but for WCE that threat is like hitting an oppo list manager in the face with a wet lettuce.

It's 👏🏼 not 👏🏼 going 👏🏼 to 👏🏼 happen.

I legit never want to hear "walk them to the PSD" ever associated with this club again.

We could've done it with Brockman and didn't. We could've done it with Kelly and didn't. We could've done it with Baker and didn't. We could've done it with Owies and didn't.

Clearly our club is never going to do it, so for any commentary around us doing it (literally Lyon and Kane Cornes said on radio yesterday we'll be in a position to "walk Chad Warner to the PSD next year" 🤦‍♂️) is totally wrong.

Other clubs perhaps, but for WCE that threat is like hitting an oppo list manager in the face with a wet lettuce.

Pyke was even on radio after the trade period saying the PSD threat “isn’t how we do business” so the fantasy of getting someone like Warner cheaper because of the PSD is worth giving up on.

So just in the case of Warner, could we not theoretically get him to nominate for the ND and name his price like with Luke Ball? Then use our first pick only to get him.

*not saying we should, could or would.

Is there any chance we would rookie draft anyone we have let go?
We have done it a few times in the past.
Or have we let these players go as we know what they offer and they are not required at all?

Having traded in the players we have my guess is we will be using any picks we have on new young talent.
I think it will even be a stretch for us going with a Parfitt or Clurey experienced type as a DFA or PSD.

One thing for certain this has and will be one of the more "interesting" trade/draft periods for us in many years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will also be very interesting to see how Warner goes this year and what type of effect it has on his currency.
If he has a blinder and becomes even higher rated versus a drop in form and competitiveness.

Is there any chance we would rookie draft anyone we have let go?
We have done it a few times in the past.
Or have we let these players go as we know what they offer and they are not required at all?

Having traded in the players we have my guess is we will be using any picks we have on new young talent.
I think it will even be a stretch for us going with a Parfitt or Clurey experienced type as a DFA or PSD.

One thing for certain this has and will be one of the more "interesting" trade/draft periods for us in many years.

Of the players we’ve delisted, only Burgiel has been mentioned as a chance to return and that was as a train on player over summer

Doubtful that we bring anyone back via the rookie list this year

Gotta say I'm kinda surprised by the Rotham and Witherden decisions.

Witherden played 22 games in 2023, and 18 games in 2024 which suggests he was either best 22, or at least on the fringe. I didn't expect him to last too long, but I expected him to be renewed this year.

And with Rotham... had Barrass signed, I would have expected him to go. But with Barrass leaving, we are dangerously light for tall backmen. I know Rotham isn't the same sort of player as Barrass. But he at least provided cover. Our KPD stocks are basically McGovern (being kept together with cellotape and playdough), talented but unproven Harry Edwards and Rhett Bazzo... oh, and Callum Jamieson I guess. We are one injury away from being completely ****ed. I suppose we have confidence in Ginbey being a full-time backman maybe? I'm not against the idea...

Both Witherden and Rotham were 25-26 years old... which is the age profile we are desperately short of. Ok, neither were long-term prospects, but were handy backup.

Next year is going to be rough.

Witherden played 22 games in 2023, and 18 games in 2024 which suggests he was either best 22, or at least on the fringe. I didn't expect him to last too long, but I expected him to be renewed this year.

And with Rotham... had Barrass signed, I would have expected him to go. But with Barrass leaving, we are dangerously light for tall backmen. I know Rotham isn't the same sort of player as Barrass. But he at least provided cover. Our KPD stocks are basically McGovern (being kept together with cellotape and playdough), talented but unproven Harry Edwards and Rhett Bazzo... oh, and Callum Jamieson I guess. We are one injury away from being completely ****ed. I suppose we have confidence in Ginbey being a full-time backman maybe? I'm not against the idea...

Both Witherden and Rotham were 25-26 years old... which is the age profile we are desperately short of. Ok, neither were long-term prospects, but were handy backup.

Rotham is backup. If they give him another contract, they probably have to pay him ok. Easier to say to Digby or Clurey, "Here's a 120k, we'll give you a shot". Gives more cap space. These guys are only playing if Gov or Edwards goes down. You always have to have a few guys on your list that you're paying FA.

“I’m just the perfect player to have at a club and that’s not just on the field but off the field as well , I’m a unique player, I can player anywhere it’s a coaches dream”

Who wants to guess which draftee has been quoted saying this?

And it’s not the Poo from a few years back it’s a draftee from this year.
Sounds like that Twat Watson, even though he can only play SF. But I'll say Curtin.

You kind of answered your own question with Rotham. He's not a KPD and was defensively terrible. It's actually surprising he lasted as long as he did as a defender.

Witherden was reasonable IMO but not great defensively, slow and his kicking was overrated. I think he is easily covered by players already on the list.

“I’m just the perfect player to have at a club and that’s not just on the field but off the field as well , I’m a unique player, I can player anywhere it’s a coaches dream”

My guess Josh Smillie

Did Dark Sharks apply for the draft!

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back