List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Showed signs.

Definitely in an area of need imo to add some depth while also a chance of playing AFL week in and out.

GWS are interested and rumour is he has done a medical at the Pies too.

Gettable pod due tomorrow will probably have a fair idea

Depends on whether he has more brains than young Deven. If he wants game time he’s far more likely to get it here than GWS or Collingwood

And I don’t really know why we wouldn’t be interested

Looking at how WCE and Freo got bent over during this Trade period, I would argue that having a weaker draft hand and then forcing future picks to be part of a possible Warner trade to be the best case scenario. Use our 2025 1st rounders to get back into the 1st round of 2024 could get us another 1-2 gun mids this yr and then adding a 24 yr old Warner next year give us some depth in our midfield long term. If Warner picks WCE, given historical precedent, Swans will have to make do with our best (fair) offer.

I'm also quietly optimistic about the midfield futures of Clay Hall, HJ (wingman), Jack Hutchinson (future gun inside mid?) as well as Hewett and Ginbey. I also see Brady Hough as a Will Day/Steinglein midfield type potentially as well.

Furthermore, Warner is coming back to WA for a number of reasons - with money and family being a big factor. Freo are much better placed for a premiership tilt but unless they trade Darcy or Brayshaw this year, their contract offer compared to WC's will be significantly less. Both clubs will offer a 6-8 yr contract but WC will likely be an extra $2-3 million over the term.

Warner will pick WCE if we can get our shit together and start operating like the elite professional organisation we were back in the 'olden days

Isnt Jack Hutchinson :$ just a 190cm utility with midfield potential? ;)

Last edited:
North were a pretty successful side in the mid to late 70’s then had the Krakouer brothers in the 80’s

Barry Cable was a huge name at the time playing for North (when there was no knowledge of his shenanigans). There was also Ross Glendinning, Peter Spencer and Phil Kelly playing for them who were all popular WA players

A lot of the supporters they built in WA during that period stayed loyal. I didn’t though, I switched
Also McCann and Melrose.

Jokes a side I always scratch my head at how many fans they have in WA
A lot of West Aussies played at North in the seventies and eighties including a lot of East Perth boys (Ross Glendinning. Phil Kelly, Kevin Bryant).
One of our supporters is a Carlton supporter (Syd Jackson) another Geelong (Polly Farmer, John Watts and Gary Malarkey).
I would say a lot of supporters who are not Eagles supporters would follow players to whichever club one of their favourite club players ended up playing in the Vfl.

Depends on whether he has more brains than young Deven. If he wants game time he’s far more likely to get it here than GWS or Collingwood

And I don’t really know why we wouldn’t be interested
Agreed. Had been linked all year and recently as monitoring his situation.

Carroll over LEdwards so let’s hope we have a crack

Isnt Jack Hutchings just a 190cm utility with midfield potential? ;)
Jack-Hutchinson-Player-Profile.jpg

For those who are confused Mark Hutchings has been de-listed.
Let us introduce you to the new and improved version Jack Hutchinson

A high-flying country footballer for Wonthaggi in the Gippsland competition, Hutchinson was encouraged to have a crack at VFL by his coach and ex-Pie Jarryd Blair and he hasn’t looked back. In seven state league games, Hutchinson has booted an accurate 9.1 – including multiple goals in four of his first five matches - and shown clear AFL traits, with his powerful marking ability, speed and athleticism catching recruiters’ eyes. An avid surfer from Inverloch, the same coastal Victorian town Eagles draftee Archer Reid hails from, Hutchinson lived in Perth for a year previously during his teenage years. The mobile mid-sized forward has averaged nearly 9.4 disposals, 3.4 marks and 3.2 tackles for Collingwood in his brief VFL career to date. Hutchinson didn’t progress through the traditional junior pathways and has plenty of upside that excited West Coast’s talent watchers.
Total Games7
Total Goals2
DOB10 November 2001
Debut2024
Draft#3,2024 other
Recruited From

A lot of West Aussies played at North in the seventies and eighties including a lot of East Perth boys (Ross Glendinning. Phil Kelly, Kevin Bryant).
One of our supporters is a Carlton supporter (Syd Jackson) another Geelong (Polly Farmer, John Watts and Gary Malarkey).
I would say a lot of supporters who are not Eagles supporters would follow players to whichever club one of their favourite club players ended up playing in the Vfl.

Were VFL games televised in WA though?

Surely would be hard to stick with a side if you don’t get to watch/listen to the games.

No one is saying that. Why do you always have to straw man people?

The chances of building a side without top 10 picks is slim. Do you not remember that we went 10 years without a top 10 pick and ended up with an spoon?

If you sink to the bottom, you go to the draft. You draft a heap of kids with top 5 and top 10 picks. Some don't make it. And some players in rd2, rd3, RD etc become guns. But the chances are the absolute elite players (which go a long way to determining success) - most will come from top 5.

And a lot of industry experts are saying this draft is incredibly difficult to judge and the top 5 all have a question mark over some part of their game.

Last year there was a clear #1. And the averages for top 5 players becoming good would have been spot on.

However this draft is totally different. Its deep and players are bouncing from 30 into top 10 consideration. Moreas started at mid teens and has floated to 30.

This isnt the draft to apply long term averages.

I will be pretty happy to land one of Lindsay or Berry with 12.

Im hoping we trade back in for 10 and land TT.

I can see any of those three having very good AFL careers.

Supposedly conversations have been had with his management and the club. Wheels are in motion to a degree.

He is a FA in 2025.

Maybe he see's the Lions never ending academy production line pushing him out so he plans to chase that big contract back home.

Geez. Wonder if Briztoon has factored this into his Lions future list planning when the money starts looking thin.;)

Nah. Prob not. He only acknowledges academy kids and incoming players traded in. Not good players leaving.

Daniher retiring early and clubs chasing Lions premiership players as free agents. Ah chee will be next.
Obeanie1 you didn’t need to mention me in your reply to Boohemian.

And you certainly didn’t need to make up some b.s. that I never said, to take some type of shot at me. And then not have the guts to actually tag me.

I’ve never spoken about in coming player's to Brisbane, as I’ve never known who they are, and never been something I factor in to list building.

I've seen a couple Carlton people say on Twitter that he found his form playing inside mid...a position we do not need. We need runners, runners and runners. Contest to contest freaks. We have too many 'burst' mids which is why most games our top possession getters are in the low 20's while every other team's have mid 30's/40's.
Who are our inside mids ?

Much rather have carroll on the bottom of the pack than Harley or yeo .

Kelly is better as handball receive on the inside aswell .

Having guys like Graham and carroll doing the grunt work for a couple of years whilst others develop is a no brainer

Who are our inside mids ?

Much rather have carroll on the bottom of the pack than Harley or yeo .

Kelly is better as handball receive on the inside aswell .

Having guys like Graham and carroll doing the grunt work for a couple of years whilst others develop is a no brainer
i dont know anything about carrol, is he more agile or quicker than say Culley?

Were VFL games televised in WA though?

Surely would be hard to stick with a side if you don’t get to watch/listen to the games.
Every sunday night during the seventies and early eighties we used to watch the Winners on the Abc which had highlights from a couple of the Vfl games and which was hosted by Drew Morphett who worked at the Abc in Perth in the early seventies. Remember seeing Kenny Hunter and Peter Bosustow and others weave their magic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North were a pretty successful side in the mid to late 70’s then had the Krakouer brothers in the 80’s

Barry Cable was a huge name at the time playing for North (when there was no knowledge of his shenanigans). There was also Ross Glendinning, Peter Spencer and Phil Kelly playing for them who were all popular WA players

A lot of the supporters they built in WA during that period stayed loyal. I didn’t though, I switched
Yeah me too, loved all those WA players

No one is saying that. Why do you always have to straw man people?

The chances of building a side without top 10 picks is slim. Do you not remember that we went 10 years without a top 10 pick and ended up with an spoon?

If you sink to the bottom, you go to the draft. You draft a heap of kids with top 5 and top 10 picks. Some don't make it. And some players in rd2, rd3, RD etc become guns. But the chances are the absolute elite players (which go a long way to determining success) - most will come from top 5.
But not if you draft duds.
Top 10 doesn't mean shit if you aren't actually picking up the "best"10 players

Our list is so cooked we have had to explore every option to get in more players, hence the splitting of picks.

Outside missing Sheezel who had ??? If he would stay, we haven't really missed yet.
The other options in 2022 all being a tier down including Ginbey.

This year is so even you may as well throw a dart. Losing 3 sucks but the 3rd best" is just as good as the 10th.
The only choice we lose is to pick what attributes you want

Hopefully if this is a multi year thing it alternates between us and freo. Can see them getting it like they got the GC home game if not. Other clubs seems to chuck a tanty whenever we get any sort of advantage, even tho we're complete shit right now.

F*ck man I'd love to give you a wedgie then stick your head in a toilet then flush it, just in the hope it'd wake you the f*ck up out of the melancholy existence you constantly meandre through.

Last edited:
i dont know anything about carrol, is he more agile or quicker than say Culley?
Yes he is not as slow as culley .

He is an inside mid but couldn't get a go in the Carlton midfield due to cripps , Walsh, cerra, Hewett, Kennedy, E Holland .

Always played out of position at afl level .

Plays well as and inside mid at VFL level .

Its a free hit

Considering we had trew , culley , Petrecelle, sheed , gaff playing inside mid at different points last season im sure he can find a spot .

We may even have a 2nd string midfield group next season

F*ck man I'd love to give you a wedgie then stick your head in a toilet then flush it, just in the hope it'd wake you the f*ck up out if the melancholy existence you constantly meandre through.
All good sounds like they want to sell two home games. Literally just read it then. We both get one.

All good sounds like they want to sell two home games. Literally just read it then. We both get one.

No backtracking now, you're not going anywhere until the job's done.

For a while I even supported Carlton because they had Peter Bosustow and Ken Hunter playing for them.
My best mate was one of the North brigade.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back