List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of West Aussies played at North in the seventies and eighties including a lot of East Perth boys (Ross Glendinning. Phil Kelly, Kevin Bryant).
One of our supporters is a Carlton supporter (Syd Jackson) another Geelong (Polly Farmer, John Watts and Gary Malarkey).
I would say a lot of supporters who are not Eagles supporters would follow players to whichever club one of their favourite club players ended up playing in the Vfl.
North were a pretty successful side in the mid to late 70’s then had the Krakouer brothers in the 80’s

Barry Cable was a huge name at the time playing for North (when there was no knowledge of his shenanigans). There was also Ross Glendinning, Peter Spencer and Phil Kelly playing for them who were all popular WA players

A lot of the supporters they built in WA during that period stayed loyal. I didn’t though, I switched
Yeah kinda makes sense. I’ve come across heaps around my age bracket but guess it’s handed down from dad/grand parents. Oddly enough I’ve found a few leave north for freo in their teens

Yeah kinda makes sense. I’ve come across heaps around my age bracket but guess it’s handed down from dad/grand parents. Oddly enough I’ve found a few leave north for freo in their teens

From one battler with a chip on their shoulder club to another. Not so odd really.

Apparently carroll asked for a trade but nothing happened or clubs didn't want to give up picks or list spots for him .

He was not happy about not getting a proper run at it and being the sub all the time .

He would make a great train on player .

Apparently carroll asked for a trade but nothing happened or clubs didn't want to give up picks or list spots for him .

He was not happy about not getting a proper run at it and being the sub all the time .

I dare say he'd make a good straight up DFA signing. I'd be surprised if only we were interested.

Of course we lost to the Roos in Perth this year, and beat them in Hobart.
So the solution is,
We then play our return home game in Hobart as the home team (for more $ than we bought theirs for cos we're rich and dumb)
Win/win, or loss/win again, I dunno. 🤨

Club will probably sell the home game to Richmond "as a way to increase our presence in Vic and get an extra game at the G, we saw this as an invaluable opportunity for a club starved of games at the home of football"

Cheaper for the AFL for us to prop up the tin rattlers than them and solves our travel burden a touch. This is absolutely killing two birds with 1 stone, especially given the price we'll no doubt pay for it.

Last edited:
And a lot of industry experts are saying this draft is incredibly difficult to judge and the top 5 all have a question mark over some part of their game.

Last year there was a clear #1. And the averages for top 5 players becoming good would have been spot on.

However this draft is totally different. Its deep and players are bouncing from 30 into top 10 consideration. Moreas started at mid teens and has floated to 30.

This isnt the draft to apply long term averages.

I will be pretty happy to land one of Lindsay or Berry with 12.

Im hoping we trade back in for 10 and land TT.

I can see any of those three having very good AFL careers.
This draft is definitely hard to judge. "Deep" could mean anything. Does it mean, "7 dudes could be #1, therefore it is deep"? Does it mean that picks 5-10 are as good as a normal 1-5, 10-15 as good as normal 5-10? Or does it mean, the talent stretches to 20 rather than the usual 12-14?

But the long term average is still the smart bet. While we don't know, I think the chance are Smith, Draper, FOS are better options that Lindsay, Tauru, TT, Berry etc. What we really want is another Harley. A Trac/Oliver combo. Maybe none of these guys in top 6 are that player. Maybe that player is somewhere in 6-12? But we don't know which one, so play the averages, keep your top 5 picks and from there, guess.

Have a look at Essendon, St Kilda etc. They've never rebuilt properly. We don't want to be them. Some of those top 5 players don't work out, so take a swag of them over 3-4 years and you'll definitely find some top end talent.

The Winners. Sunday night with Drew Morphett on ABC.
Those were the days. Watching it on something like this. Watched it religiously every Sunday night.

television GIF by David Urbinati

But not if you draft duds.
Top 10 doesn't mean shit if you aren't actually picking up the "best"10 players

Our list is so cooked we have had to explore every option to get in more players, hence the splitting of picks.

Outside missing Sheezel who had ??? If he would stay, we haven't really missed yet.
The other options in 2022 all being a tier down including Ginbey.

This year is so even you may as well throw a dart. Losing 3 sucks but the 3rd best" is just as good as the 10th.
The only choice we lose is to pick what attributes you want
If you have 4 successive top 5 picks, then a couple after than between 5 and 10, there's a high chance you're going to get 2 top tier players and a couple just below that. Enough to build a side around because with all your other R2 and R3 picks, you will find some gems.

Our list is so cooked that we should be doing nothing else (apart from Warner) than taking top 5 picks to the draft. As we build a list, we use higher picks to drafts in experience (usually WA expats). We did this with Cripps, Yeo, Jetta etc

I have no issue splitting 2 seasons back. Sheezel looked like flight risk, Wardlaw has injury concerns. Normally, I'm taking Sheezel. If Murphy Reid slides this year, I'm taking him. I don't think he's the same flight risk.

I'd don't think this year's 3 is as good as this year's 10. Maybe 6. Maybe even 8 (if people start taking KPPs). At 12, I think there a decisive gap. We just have to take best available and hope they're close to the best in the draft. At #3 you've got a much higher chance of picking correctly.

I think you are.

At least a decade before entering the window?

Six years since we last won it.

Add 10 so 16 years between contending?

We also made the GF in 2015. That was in the window.

The only way it takes 10 years to get in the window and contend is if we totally stuff up drafting and trading. Get stuff all academy kids of any quality. Harley leaves and we get stuff all in return.

So basically the club gets absolutely everything wrong and nothing right.

People who think this way I feel sorry for. I really do.
We aint ticking to many boxes at the moment. Why am I a fraud? I don't go on about being something that I am not. If you think Phil works for WCE thats fine. I don't buy it for a minute. Hey but I could be wrong, a professional organisation letting one of their employees discussing important information about their other employees on a forum such as this, really. Obeanie really. But his posts a sure fun to read. We won't be contending for decades we might make finals but not really contending for the premiership. North Melbourne will go past us Richmond will. The games rigged mate. The Victorian, NSW and QLD Teams hold all the aces. We have have to be way better than them. I ain't seeing it at the moment.

If you have 4 successive top 5 picks, then a couple after than between 5 and 10, there's a high chance you're going to get 2 top tier players and a couple just below that. Enough to build a side around because with all your other R2 and R3 picks, you will find some gems.

Our list is so cooked that we should be doing nothing else (apart from Warner) than taking top 5 picks to the draft. As we build a list, we use higher picks to drafts in experience (usually WA expats). We did this with Cripps, Yeo, Jetta etc

I have no issue splitting 2 seasons back. Sheezel looked like flight risk, Wardlaw has injury concerns. Normally, I'm taking Sheezel. If Murphy Reid slides this year, I'm taking him. I don't think he's the same flight risk.

I'd don't think this year's 3 is as good as this year's 10. Maybe 6. Maybe even 8 (if people start taking KPPs). At 12, I think there a decisive gap. We just have to take best available and hope they're close to the best in the draft. At #3 you've got a much higher chance of picking correctly.

Sheezle was a bit of a funny one - obv didn't want to leave Melb, but was a small forward with midfield potential in his draft year. I certainly didn't predict his success off the back flank and now transition to the midfield in what year 2.

I feel we would have gone Cadman - perhaps Wardlaw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheezle was a bit of a funny one - obv didn't want to leave Melb, but was a small forward with midfield potential in his draft year. I certainly didn't predict his success off the back flank and now transition to the midfield in what year 2.

Would have been one of those 2 for sure because North wouldve taken Sheezel at 1

I thought it was too risky to take one of those (and I'm against trading out top 5 picks). I had the impression Cadman wasn't top 5 until the Giants nabbed #1.

We've split twice out of 3 years and next year we will likely cough up our first for Chad. That 3 out of 4 years trading out of the top 5. I would have been perfectly acceptable if we kept #3 this year. Let's just hope we jag someone at 12 who is an absolute star.

We aint ticking to many boxes at the moment. Why am I a fraud? I don't go on about being something that I am not. If you think Phil works for WCE thats fine. I don't buy it for a minute. Hey but I could be wrong, a professional organisation letting one of their employees discussing important information about their other employees on a forum such as this, really. Obeanie really. But his posts a sure fun to read. We won't be contending for decades we might make finals but not really contending for the premiership. North Melbourne will go past us Richmond will. The games rigged mate. The Victorian, NSW and QLD Teams hold all the aces. We have have to be way better than them. I ain't seeing it at the moment.

I dont base my opinion on any one person or source.

And I agree to some of that. The AFL pet states and clubs are being seriously jacked up with AFL assistance we will never get.

Nothing we havent had to deal with before.

If you dont see any green shoots and the potential in these young recruits thats your choice.

Some players will disappoint and yet others will surprise. How long it will take is anyones guess.

Guess is the key word.

This draft is definitely hard to judge. "Deep" could mean anything. Does it mean, "7 dudes could be #1, therefore it is deep"? Does it mean that picks 5-10 are as good as a normal 1-5, 10-15 as good as normal 5-10? Or does it mean, the talent stretches to 20 rather than the usual 12-14?

But the long term average is still the smart bet. While we don't know, I think the chance are Smith, Draper, FOS are better options that Lindsay, Tauru, TT, Berry etc. What we really want is another Harley. A Trac/Oliver combo. Maybe none of these guys in top 6 are that player. Maybe that player is somewhere in 6-12? But we don't know which one, so play the averages, keep your top 5 picks and from there, guess.

Have a look at Essendon, St Kilda etc. They've never rebuilt properly. We don't want to be them. Some of those top 5 players don't work out, so take a swag of them over 3-4 years and you'll definitely find some top end talent.
1-15 are as good as your average #5, with 16-30 as good as your average #20
Absolutely there is no Daicos or Petracca level player and it's blatantly obvious -not a "we don't know yet".

What do you value most attribute wise this year? Who would your pick be at #3?

I dont base my opinion on any one person or source.

And I agree to some of that. The AFL pet states and clubs are being seriously jacked up with AFL assistance we will never get.

Nothing we havent had to deal with before.

If you dont see any green shoots and the potential in these young recruits thats your choice.

Some players will disappoint and yet others will surprise. How long it will take is anyones guess.

Guess is the key word.
I do see green shoots and I really hope we get a few crackers this draft. I am looking forward to watching Baker, Graham and Owies to see what they can bring. But we really need to improve our recruitment and the strategy behind it. I have faith, but the f**king Vics have changed the rules since our last rebuild.

I do see green shoots and I really hope we get a few crackers this draft. I am looking forward to watching Baker, Graham and Owies to see what they can bring. But we really need to improve our recruitment and the strategy behind it. I have faith, but the f**king Vics have changed the rules since our last rebuild.
Actually, it's better for us with the NGA, now that we can recruit at any point of the draft.

We have a big zone and a lot of money, so hopefully the club invests heavily into this.

Is he quicker than L Edwards?

If we lose Luke to medical retirement Jack wouldnt be a terrible like for like replacement at similar age.

It just sucks the momentum out of any list build losing players in their early 20's. Either because they arent good enough or because of injury. The list plan was for that player to peak over the next several years. Now we are throwing in kids who arent quite ready or hanging on to older players for too long.

No one is saying that. Why do you always have to straw man people?

The chances of building a side without top 10 picks is slim. Do you not remember that we went 10 years without a top 10 pick and ended up with an spoon?

If you sink to the bottom, you go to the draft. You draft a heap of kids with top 5 and top 10 picks. Some don't make it. And some players in rd2, rd3, RD etc become guns. But the chances are the absolute elite players (which go a long way to determining success) - most will come from top 5.

This is EXACTLY why Gold Coast have won the last 5 flags

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back