List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate to be a pain but reckon we can do away with the grey box summary thingo up top of this thread now that we’ve all melted over these confirmed trades/delistings?

Makes it tedious scrolling past it each time I have 5-6 pages to catch up on
Naaaaawwww...Poor Cleffy.

It's keeps those digits loose mate. ;)

I think the talent in the 30s and 40s this year is as good as the 15-25 range any other year. I'd rather pick up players who miss this draft in the rookie draft than take a DFA. I think the risk reward of taking an unknown talent is so much higher than trying to recycle a player from another club who couldn't make it in their environment. Other clubs seem to be banking on this draft whilst we are considering their cast offs.

I do see green shoots and I really hope we get a few crackers this draft. I am looking forward to watching Baker, Graham and Owies to see what they can bring. But we really need to improve our recruitment and the strategy behind it. I have faith, but the f**king Vics have changed the rules since our last rebuild.

Just imagine just how sweet it will be when we beat them again. And beat the system again.

It will take a bit of luck and lots of hard work. When Tassie comes in and the clubs on top now start to drop back alot of talent will go to Tassie. And Tassie will take time. In three more drafts and two trade periods we will have more of the missing pieces.

2028 to 2030 the comp and top 8 will look very different. Including our best 23.

Just imagine just how sweet it will be when we beat them again. And beat the system again.

It will take a bit of luck and lots of hard work. When Tassie comes in and the clubs on top now start to drop back alot of talent will go to Tassie. And Tassie will take time. In three more drafts and two trade periods we will have more of the missing pieces.

2028 to 2030 the comp and top 8 will look very different. Including our best 23.
Yep you a right, lots of hard work a bit luck, strap in for the ride.

Reading the last couple of pages about WA players from Carlton, North & the institution that was the Winners with Drew Morphett is like a time machine to my youth.

Wish I could have seen the Krakouer brothers live, I have a feeling Monocle would be able to tell us more about them.

Last edited:
I thought it was too risky to take one of those (and I'm against trading out top 5 picks). I had the impression Cadman wasn't top 5 until the Giants nabbed #1.

We've split twice out of 3 years and next year we will likely cough up our first for Chad. That 3 out of 4 years trading out of the top 5. I would have been perfectly acceptable if we kept #3 this year. Let's just hope we jag someone at 12 who is an absolute star.
Yeah Cadman was rated top 10, but was definitely a reach at pick 1 because the other top prospects wouldn't leave Melbourne.

I suspect we were into him at pick 2 for the same reason that GWS was, & split our pick the moment GWS traded up.

The Chad's a bonifide A grader, and at 24yo would be happy to trade 2x first rounders for him. No guarantee those 2 kids will come on like he has.

Time will tell with the split this year - but I just can't for the life of me understand why we didn't trade 26 + a F2 or F3 for Baker. Even if we rate the top 20 pretty evenly and were that keen to split pick 3, at least we could have ended up with 12 & 14 in the draft instead of 12 & 26.

In this regard I think it’s actually good we’ve been building a bit through the previous couple of drafts. I think clubs that think / thought they were in the window and went all out the other way (hello Essendon 👋🏻) are in big trouble when stuck mid table / an ageing list and Tassie drafting then impacts on top of that

Thank god we wont be hearing Dev here mentioned again

We should make it a drinking game

Mention Dev and you have to do APT

This song is banger by the way

Legit just vomited in my throat a little.

Interesting to hear that Witherden is managed by Nick Gieschen and when questioned on whether Harley stays he seemed pretty confident that he would.

It’s a shame that dunce Gossage piped up because I think Witho was about to go into his thoughts on why that would be the case but he ended up saying “I’ll just leave it at that”.

At the 14:47 min mark.

1-15 are as good as your average #5, with 16-30 as good as your average #20
Absolutely there is no Daicos or Petracca level player and it's blatantly obvious -not a "we don't know yet".

What do you value most attribute wise this year? Who would your pick be at #3?
That first part is a contradiction. The first 1-15 can't be the same as a normal 1-5 if there is no Tracc in it. Let's leave Daicos out because he's a generational player. We haven't seen a player come out of the blocks like him since Judd. Tracc took 3-4 years to come on. It's absolutely possible that one of these kids ends up as good as him. We just don't know which one (if at all).

We hear this BS every year from the same posters, "player X will be better than player Y", "Player A will come one but player B won't", "No one in he draft will be elite", etc

This is where I think we're at:

Our list is shaping up ok. It's always about how good your top end talent is. If you have 2 A+ and 4A, it's enough to build a flag winning team. I think Harley is out first A+, OA can be A, and I think Hewett will be A. I think Hough and maybe Bazzo are 200 game players. Add Chad. He's A+ right now. He'll probably drop off in a bottom 4 team. Baker will provide on field leadership. What's missing; another A+. Find a kid in the draft who ends up an A+ mid. So you have a core of Harley, Chad, yet to be drafted A+ mid, OA, maybe Hewett, then your soldiers - Hough, Hutchison, Maric or whoever it is that steps up (I don't know or care who that will be). Somewhere we need to find KPDs. We already have kids on our list RIGHT NOW who will be able to step up. But they need a core of players who can go toe to toe with the best teams. Without that, they can't do FA.

This is what I would like:

An elite ball user (decision making and disposal) who is a balanced mid. It's not necessarily who I would draft. Best available.

This is who I would draft in order:

Smith
FOS
Draper
Lalor
Smillie
Langford
Reid (potential flight risk)

So if we had #3, I'm taking the first cab off the rank. And don't worry, I can see risks and flaws with all of them.

Which out of those 6 will be the best player? I have no idea.
Which out of those 6 will be A grade or better? I have no idea.
Which will turn out spuds or underwhelmers? I have no idea.

It's a guess. Everyone is guessing.

The only thing I know with absolute certainty is that your chances of getting that A+ player is much higher with top 5 picks. I didn't say that's a definite, I just said the percentages are much more in your favour.

Ever noticed our 2006 flag side? Judd, Cuzzy, Kerr, Cox. Glass was quality, but the rest was guys who were only able to play like that because of those guys. Ever noticed Ports team this year? Butters, Rozee, JHF, and F-A else. Richmond? Dusty, Cotch, Reiwoldt, and few other good players, and then soldiers. Melbourne? Trac, Oliver, Gawn, May, Lever....

It's the top end that matters. Get the top end built and good players all of a sudden start popping out of the woodwork. If we find another A-grade mid, in 4 years time when we have 80 games into soldiers, we can be moving in on top 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Chad's a bonifide A grader, and at 24yo would be happy to trade 2x first rounders for him. No guarantee those 2 kids will come on like he has.
I've been watching a bit of Chad this year. He's a beast. It will be harder for him in our team, but Harley will make it easier for him. Those two guys will win a few midfield battles.

Reading the last couple of pages about WA players from Carlton, North & the institution that was the Winners with Drew Morphett is like a time machine to my youth.

Wish I could have seen the Krakouer brothers live, I have a feeling Monocle would be able to tell us more about them.
Think Monocle and Keys probably witnessed the birth of Aussie rules.

So I’ve been told

Is he quicker than L Edwards?

If we lose Luke to medical retirement Jack wouldnt be a terrible like for like replacement at similar age.

It just sucks the momentum out of any list build losing players in their early 20's. Either because they arent good enough or because of injury. The list plan was for that player to peak over the next several years. Now we are throwing in kids who arent quite ready or hanging on to older players for too long.
Ledwards was on the delist pile anyway along with so many in recent times . Concussion aside he doesn't have any decent attributes. Slow outside player who doesn't rack it up or have a damaging kick .

Since the Kelly trade we have bought in so many late picks and recycled hacks from other clubs

This is the 3 drafts that killed us . TBH we didn't have great picks due to selling the farm for Kelly

2018 X O'Neill Bwilliams Cameron Hedwards* Jsmith*
2019 jamerson Johnson Treacy*
MO'Neill*
2020 Ledwards winder Trew*

We pretty much have no players from 2019-2020 drafts apart from jamo who is on notice

It wasn't until 2021 that we got some decent picks but the ship had sailed at that point .

2021 Chesser Hough Bazzo Jwilliams Clark

Its ugly reading

This is EXACTLY why Gold Coast have won the last 5 flags

They had too many kids. North are in the same position. You either have to have good senior players, or you have to wait until they mature (like Greene, Whitfield, Coneglio at GWS). Both teams also struggle to attract mature talent. Conversely, our club has never had an issue. As soon as we start to build something good, the bro's come home. Yeo, Cripps, Jetta etc.

I'm not saying to have a team of 20 year olds, I'm saying recognise what you best chance of getting top end talent is, and use it. That is top 5 picks and Chad Warner. Your team is only as good as your top end talent.

I used to watch them every week. It was basically Moss, Hunter, Krakouers, Gary Shaw, Wayne Blackwell, Malaxos, Warren Ralph, Panizza, Daniels for Claremont v Stephen Michael, Maurise Rioli, Jon Dorotich for Souths v Narkles, Shine, Leon Baker, Don Langford, Mike Richardson for Swans. Swans had a dude called Ed Blackaby. Looked like he'd been at a biker bar all night.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back