List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Ledwards was on the delist pile anyway along with so many in recent times . Concussion aside he doesn't have any decent attributes. Slow outside player who doesn't rack it up or have a damaging kick .

Since the Kelly trade we have bought in so many late picks and recycled hacks from other clubs

This is the 3 drafts that killed us . TBH we didn't have great picks due to selling the farm for Kelly

2018 X O'Neill Bwilliams Cameron Hedwards* Jsmith*
2019 jamerson Johnson Treacy*
MO'Neill*
2020 Ledwards winder Trew*

We pretty much have no players from 2019-2020 drafts apart from jamo who is on notice

It wasn't until 2021 that we got some decent picks but the ship had sailed at that point .

2021 Chesser Hough Bazzo Jwilliams Clark

Its ugly reading
We didn't have the picks. If we didn't trade TK, maybe we're picking Naughton and Warner. Maybe.

in 2021 we went into the draft with #13 and got Chesser. Clarke went, "great, lets do that again".

Ledwards was on the delist pile anyway along with so many in recent times . Concussion aside he doesn't have any decent attributes. Slow outside player who doesn't rack it up or have a damaging kick .

Since the Kelly trade we have bought in so many late picks and recycled hacks from other clubs

This is the 3 drafts that killed us . TBH we didn't have great picks due to selling the farm for Kelly

2018 X O'Neill Bwilliams Cameron Hedwards* Jsmith*
2019 jamerson Johnson Treacy*
MO'Neill*
2020 Ledwards winder Trew*

We pretty much have no players from 2019-2020 drafts apart from jamo who is on notice

It wasn't until 2021 that we got some decent picks but the ship had sailed at that point .

2021 Chesser Hough Bazzo Jwilliams Clark

Its ugly reading
We also didn't have decent picks in 2018 and 2019 because we finished up the top of the ladder. I dont think any team got anything from the 2020 draft.

Any chances of the coffeed up mop trundling down to a preseason training session and producing another legendary report this coming season?
**** it, why not.
I don’t miss being 17 and not having a driveable car and catching two trains and two buses to write those up.

Highlight was being called a Freo spy once.

That first part is a contradiction. The first 1-15 can't be the same as a normal 1-5 if there is no Tracc in it. Let's leave Daicos out because he's a generational player. We haven't seen a player come out of the blocks like him since Judd. Tracc took 3-4 years to come on. It's absolutely possible that one of these kids ends up as good as him. We just don't know which one (if at all).

We hear this BS every year from the same posters, "player X will be better than player Y", "Player A will come one but player B won't", "No one in he draft will be elite", etc

This is where I think we're at:

Our list is shaping up ok. It's always about how good your top end talent is. If you have 2 A+ and 4A, it's enough to build a flag winning team. I think Harley is out first A+, OA can be A, and I think Hewett will be A. I think Hough and maybe Bazzo are 200 game players. Add Chad. He's A+ right now. He'll probably drop off in a bottom 4 team. Baker will provide on field leadership. What's missing; another A+. Find a kid in the draft who ends up an A+ mid. So you have a core of Harley, Chad, yet to be drafted A+ mid, OA, maybe Hewett, then your soldiers - Hough, Hutchison, Maric or whoever it is that steps up (I don't know or care who that will be). Somewhere we need to find KPDs. We already have kids on our list RIGHT NOW who will be able to step up. But they need a core of players who can go toe to toe with the best teams. Without that, they can't do FA.

This is what I would like:

An elite ball user (decision making and disposal) who is a balanced mid. It's not necessarily who I would draft. Best available.

This is who I would draft in order:

Smith
FOS
Draper
Lalor
Smillie
Langford
Reid (potential flight risk)

So if we had #3, I'm taking the first cab off the rank. And don't worry, I can see risks and flaws with all of them.

Which out of those 6 will be the best player? I have no idea.
Which out of those 6 will be A grade or better? I have no idea.
Which will turn out spuds or underwhelmers? I have no idea.

It's a guess. Everyone is guessing.

The only thing I know with absolute certainty is that your chances of getting that A+ player is much higher with top 5 picks. I didn't say that's a definite, I just said the percentages are much more in your favour.

Ever noticed our 2006 flag side? Judd, Cuzzy, Kerr, Cox. Glass was quality, but the rest was guys who were only able to play like that because of those guys. Ever noticed Ports team this year? Butters, Rozee, JHF, and F-A else. Richmond? Dusty, Cotch, Reiwoldt, and few other good players, and then soldiers. Melbourne? Trac, Oliver, Gawn, May, Lever....

It's the top end that matters. Get the top end built and good players all of a sudden start popping out of the woodwork. If we find another A-grade mid, in 4 years time when we have 80 games into soldiers, we can be moving in on top 4.
Who are Geelongs A+ players? Who were Collingwoods A+ players last year?

There was this Korean restaurant in Brisbane called Funny Funny that had a drink called the Tsnunami - a shot of whiskey, a shot of sake, a shot of soju and a pot of beer. You poured them all in a bigger glass and skulled it.

Great times, vague memories
As someone that struggles to eat while drinking that sounds like a great way to ruin my dining experience

Was gonna say- not sure its the right thread, however we're onto Korean bbqs...

My cynical mind thinks the same week the Unwashed get the revamped Indigenous game, it's leaked that North may sell a home game to WA- likely us, is no coincidence.

2025 Fixure release- WCE get away game at Optus, Freo get extra $$$ and both potentially get either back to back QLD or Vic games equalling a few less flights.
Give a dog a bone... We'll take what we can get, I guess..

On SM-A336E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those were the days. Watching it on something like this. Watched it religiously every Sunday night.

television GIF by David Urbinati
And also countdown on sunday night with Molly Meldrum.
TV was worth watching in those days.

I used to watch them every week. It was basically Moss, Hunter, Krakouers, Gary Shaw, Wayne Blackwell, Malaxos, Warren Ralph, Panizza, Daniels for Claremont v Stephen Michael, Maurise Rioli, Jon Dorotich for Souths v Narkles, Shine, Leon Baker, Don Langford, Mike Richardson for Swans. Swans had a dude called Ed Blackaby. Looked like he'd been at a biker bar all night.
Ed Blackaby eh. That's a name from a deep memory of the Mighty Swans back in the day.

Still remember the old stand at basso In unison yelling Busatows a fairy on his return from the VFL

That first part is a contradiction. The first 1-15 can't be the same as a normal 1-5 if there is no Tracc in it.
Not 1-5. Just #5
Gaff, Cerra, Cunnington, Billings.
2nd or 3rd midfielders. Good players but no superstars.
Let's leave Daicos out because he's a generational player. We haven't seen a player come out of the blocks like him since Judd. Tracc took 3-4 years to come on. It's absolutely possible that one of these kids ends up as good as him. We just don't know which one (if at all).
Trac did his acl before even playing a game & so that slowed him down but essentially was in the top 10 best performed junior players ever (in modern football) along with Dacios.

And of course we know what a player can do at 18. Some are fast, some slow, some can kick others can't. Some can mark it and some are better around stoppages.

The closest players to that powerful burst mid who can be dangerous up forward (like Petracca , Dangerfield or Martin) have been #1 2023 Harley Reid, #6 2022 Bailey Humphrey & #1 2021 JHF.
Even then they were all still probably 10% off where the aforementioned stars were at the same point.

I liken this gap to being a runner- how hard is it to improve your 2km time trial by 50 seconds😵😵 That's the ground that has to be made up just to get to the starting blocks of these guys- who have now been pushing their own PB further away.

This is what I would like:

An elite ball user (decision making and disposal) who is a balanced mid. It's not necessarily who I would draft. Best available.

This is who I would draft in order:

Smith
FOS
Draper
Lalor
Smillie
Langford
Reid (potential flight risk)

So if we had #3, I'm taking the first cab off the rank. And don't worry, I can see risks and flaws with all of them.

Which out of those 6 will be the best player? I have no idea.
Langford as he's simply the best player this year. Other things may hold him back at AFL level but there's question marks over everything.

Jagga Smith may be the safest pick as a Gaff type operator. Doesn't really dominate at any facet but will get a heap of the ball. Death by 1000 cuts.
Which out of those 6 will be A grade or better? I have no idea.
No one is performing to the level of an "A Grader". And no one is likely to make that jump.
What tends to happen is in 5 years you may find out that player x was living with toxic mould and could only breathe at 80% capacity, or afflicted with some random drawback the whole time. Implications being if they were fitter and stronger they would have performed to their true level.
Which will turn out spuds or underwhelmers? I have no idea.
-Smillie as he is slow and relies too much on his size.

-FOS who simply doesn't have the runs on the board. Has only averaged 17 disposals this year as a mid🚩 and it's not like he was dominant over the rest of the field last year. Perhaps, though not deficient, as an outside leaning player he relies too much on others to feed him.

It's a guess. Everyone is guessing.
If everyone is guessing then how do you have a top 10 that isn't wildly different from the next person?

Jagga Smith may be the safest pick as a Gaff type operator. Doesn't really dominate at any facet but will get a heap of the ball. Death by 1000 cuts.
Very different players. Gaff, pre-draft, was busy collecting disposals in the back pocket and thrived in open space. Smith gets his disposals at the coalface and has excellent manoeuvrability in traffic, something Gaff has never possessed.

Jack Carroll played 15 games and only averaged 10 touches a game? Why would we be interested?
What's the explanation for why he got so few disposals but kept on being selected?
He was the sub most of the time

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back