List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Kennedy was #4. We got lucky with Shuey and Yeo. I don't think anyone is writing them (the kids) off, but there's a difference between kids who make it, or even kids who make very good players, and flag sides. If you have that core of elite players, it's easier for kids to step and play to potential.

Josh Kennedy wasn't tearing defenders new arseholes at Carlton before he joined us, and even with us took a little while to reach AA level. I am optimistic, but yes I am realistic that many won't make it. I'd be ecstatic if just three of those listed before step up to A grade level.

Kennedy was #4. We got lucky with Shuey and Yeo. I don't think anyone is writing them (the kids) off, but there's a difference between kids who make it, or even kids who make very good players, and flag sides. If you have that core of elite players, it's easier for kids to step and play to potential.

Elite players in our last premiership side.

JK pick 4
Le cras pick 40 something
Shuey pick 18
Gov rookie draft
Yeo traded of a 2nd originally drafted with a 2nd
Barrass pick 38 was it?

Masten pick 3.......not even in the elite category playing g defensive wing.

So anyone seeing a pattern there?

Did I miss anyone?

Pretty insulting to Maric if he’s still on the rookie list.
It’s more about balancing the list so we can get the players we want in the medium term. Don’t think Maric will have any issue with it, we’ll look after him $$$ wise.

We’ve seen multiple examples of 200 gamers going to the rookie list at clubs. It’s just another lever to pull in list management.

Yes as it stands but as with any rookie we do have the option of upgrading him to the main list if we’d rather sign a rookie than a DFA/take an extra draft pick.

Thanks. So this is accurate?

32 contracted senior players

33 (Snr) - Pick 12
34 (Snr) - Pick 26
35 (Snr) - Late ND pick
36 (Snr) - DFA?
37 (Snr/R) -
38 (Snr/R) -
39 (R) - Rawlinson
40 (R) - Hutchison
41 (R) - Maric
42 (R) - Champion (Snr?)
43 (Cat B) - Dewar
44 (Cat B) - Livingstone

TBC - L. Edwards

Did I miss anyone?
You know there's anomalies, right? This is one of them. I've talked about it before. It doesn't mean the pattern doesn't exist. "I can name a situation where that didn't happen, therefore it's not true". Who does that remind you of?

Thanks. So this is accurate?

32 contracted senior players

33 (Snr) - Pick 12
34 (Snr) - Pick 26
35 (Snr) - Late ND pick
36 (Snr) - DFA?
37 (Snr/R) -
38 (Snr/R) -
39 (R) - Rawlinson
40 (R) - Hutchison
41 (R) - Maric
42 (R) - Champion (Snr?)
43 (Cat B) - Dewar
44 (Cat B) - Livingstone

TBC - L. Edwards
Champion will be a Cat B If he makes it through the national draft (not cat A) otherwise looks pretty good 👍

Exactly.

If he goes. Meh. We will land a trade bounty from the six big Melbourne clubs frothing to land him.

I mean... this should be the case, but who even knows with Clark at the helm :shrug: Early trades have been... Lukewarm.

Could very well end up with a bag of Magic Beans, a 4th rounder, + whatever WA player is out of contract at that club. Shannon Neale for example.

Also, we know how the vic media narrative sways these things. Suddenly Harley being OOC means clubs can get whatever they want and no doubt the PSD thread will be used so we better just suck it up and take what we're offered. Compared to Baker/Kelly being OOC and that meaning absolutely nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Elite players in our last premiership side.

JK pick 4
Le cras pick 40 something
Shuey pick 18
Gov rookie draft
Yeo traded of a 2nd originally drafted with a 2nd
Barrass pick 38 was it?

Masten pick 3.......not even in the elite category playing g defensive wing.

Did I miss anyone?
Shuey #18, Barrass #38, Lecca #40!? And Masten #3.
All this just shows that pick 3 is not all it's cracked up to be?
All the melts, wet beds and teeth-gnashing over an unknown quantity...

I’m sure others have done this same exercise. Is this correct? Or maybe I’ve got someone on the main list when they should be a rookie or vice versa?

33 contracted senior players
34 (Snr) - Pick 12
35 (Snr) - Pick 26
36 (Snr) - Champion
37 (Snr/R) -
38 (Snr/R) -
39 (R) - Rawlinson
40 (R) - Hutchison
41 (R) -
42 (R) -
43 (Cat B) - Dewar(?)
44 (Cat B) - Livingstone

TBC - L. Edwards
It'd be a big loss if champion is bid on that high. There'll be some very handy players available at that pick

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nicnat #2, Gaff #3.... Sheppard #7

This thing writes itself.

All players we we won without. That said, just because our team showed up and got the job done without them on the day, doesn't mean we even get there without them, given their input througout the year, so the whole arguement is a bit silly.

Shuey #18, Barrass #38, Lecca #40!? And Masten #3.
All this just shows that pick 3 is not all it's cracked up to be?
All the melts, wet beds and teeth-gnashing over an unknown quantity...

Pick 3 is undoubtedly a better shot at picking up a top line player than pick 12, though.

Yeah, the melts are justified in that respect, but there is never a guarantee. Game plan, proper player development, and luck with injuries play far bigger parts in my view than stacking a team with top picks.

Rayner and McCluggage were of course big parts of the Brisbane flag but players rated far lower at draft time like Neale, Zorko, Hipwood, Charlie Cameron, Daniher etc were just as big if not bigger contributors.

A new coach is really gonna give the club a lift, I don’t think that should be underestimated.
Simpson was completely cooked and just like a few of our players should have been moved on sooner.
I’m expecting some renewed excitement on the pre season training track. We’ve go a lot to look forward to, so many young players with another year in the weight room, on the track and working on their skills. No young team likes to be beat up on, vengeance will be sweet.
A couple of experienced scrappers in Graham and Baker to help bring out the mongrel too, we are on the right track.

You know there's anomalies, right? This is one of them. I've talked about it before. It doesn't mean the pattern doesn't exist. "I can name a situation where that didn't happen, therefore it's not true". Who does that remind you of?

Another anomaly?

Like the Suns stacked with top 10 picks but still can't make finals?

How many anomalies does it take before.....they aren't anomalies?

Pick 3 is undoubtedly a better shot at picking up a top line player than pick 12, though.

Yeah, the melts are justified in that respect, but there is never a guarantee. Game plan, proper player development, and luck with injuries play far bigger parts in my view than stacking a team with top picks.

Rayner and McCluggage were of course big parts of the Brisbane flag but players rated far lower at draft time like Neale, Zorko, Hipwood, Charlie Cameron, Daniher etc were just as big if not bigger contributors.

Rayner's contribution was lower than many players taken outside the top 10 in that team.

ALC early didn't help. But he has never lived up to pick 1 expectations.

True.

Only legit reason is Tigers still cutting players (yesterday) so still determining list spots.

Tigers may be making a play for pick 2.

Once done and list spots clarified they get back to us with a yes / no on any pick swaps.
Just all sounds like wishful thinking, no one is really going to look out for us or give us favours. They're all looking out for themselves which is what we should have done

Speaking far too much sense here

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back