List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda hope I'm reading it wrong because like others I'd probably rather a Phillips or even DGB.

But given Port released Clurey from his contract just so he can pursue other opportunities and we are pretty much the only club that's reportedly had any interest, and we delisted Rotham almost at the same time I'd be suprised if he doesn't sign with us

If we lose Gov, the experience down back could be handy I guess

Haven’t had a chance to listen to the interview but from the article he’s talking about hopefully getting a train on spot. So we might be considering him but perhaps only as a train on without committing to him as a DFA

I just like how other teams how young talented midfield depth coming out the yazoo but we actively trade our way out of any situation to add young talent to our mids. Shit's disheartening to be honest.

We slid from 3 to 12 in an even draft this year and overpaid with 14 for Baker which was a mistake (some might say a monumental one)

Other than that trade when have we actively traded our way out of a situation to add young talent to our mids. The 2022 trade was done to get an extra player rather than just one and had it not been for Hewett’s foot issue I don’t think anyone would be complaining - he showed some very promising signs in 2023

And the Kelly trade wasn’t part of this rebuild and instead was a chips all in attempt to win another flag with the list we’d win a flag with a year earlier. Didn’t work out but it was worth the gamble at the time

I just like how other teams how young talented midfield depth coming out the yazoo but we actively trade our way out of any situation to add young talent to our mids. Shit's disheartening to be honest.

We really need EP in here to lighten the mood for everybody.

Jamo is the worst player on our list. Worse than some of the guys that just got delisted. Classic example of getting an extended run just for being tall.

I actually thought he showed some signs as a back man compared to the variety of other positions he's been trialed in. Still not great, but Im hoping he can make further improvements this year to justify his list spot. If we don't pick up any of the DFA's WCE have been linked to, we may seriously need him this year.

when have we actively traded our way out of a situation to add young talent to our mids.

Feels like we had a couple of years where we traded down but didn’t really seem to get us any net advantage - X O’Neill draft maybe?

Also trading a F3 to get Hall.

Overall we don’t seem to get too proactive with trying to move up a draft board each year. Can’t think of any examples and may just be a general vibe thing

Feels like we had a couple of years where we traded down but didn’t really seem to get us any net advantage - X O’Neill draft maybe?

It's been a while, so maybe misremembering, but didn't we downgrade a pick 6 or similar to get Yeo and because the player we wanted (Sheed) was predicted to be available at our downgraded pick 11?

If so, that's a win for the trading team.

Also trading a F3 to get Hall.

Overall we don’t seem to get too proactive with trying to move up a draft board each year. Can’t think of any examples and may just be a general vibe thing

Didn't we use the F3 to trade up to get Hall?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's been a while, so maybe misremembering, but didn't we downgrade a pick 6 or similar to get Yeo and because the player we wanted (Sheed) was predicted to be available at our downgraded pick 11?

If so, that's a win for the trading team.
We got pick 11 and 31 for pick 6 (plus a downgrade of third round picks, which ended up being Allir Allir).

The 31 we got from Collingwood was used for Karpany whereas our original second round pick (28) was traded for Yeo.

We have had some OK results with splitting and downgrading, but I can see why people might think we aren’t so active at bundling up picks to upgrade our position.

We slid from 3 to 12 in an even draft this year and overpaid with 14 for Baker which was a mistake (some might say a monumental one)
A mistake for overpaying for sure - but once 14 slides to 16-18 as expected, how much or an overpayment was it? An early second round pick would have been more comfortable for me, so we weren't exactly fleeced as irritating as it is.

And J.Williams........

You would have thought after the OA debacle of competing at centre ruck contests, we would have let our next promising KPF learn his Fwd craft without this added physical pressure.

Just wish WC would just bite the bullet Sydney style and get a Sinclair/Hickey/Ball and protect our blue chip fwd assets.

If we recruited a JK out of the draft under the recent regime, he would end up with 3 year less career due having rucked in his formative years.

I dunno, I may be in the minority but I'm ok with JWilliams learning his craft in both positions.

Allen is a KPF who was never going to be a ruck, so him rucking did nothing for his development.

BWilliams based on what he's shown with his forward craft is a ruck but not a forward. Whether he's a good enough #1 ruck is up for debate but I don't think he has the forward nous to swing back and forth and impact without being settled down there.

JWilliams I could legitimately see a future in both. There's a small group of players like your Danihers, D.Camerons etc who aren't in the top key forwards in the league, nor in the top rucks, but are in the top ruck/fwds and I reckon JWilliams could be in there too. Those players provide massive versatility and overall utility in good sides, where the momentum isn't killed by them swapping positions either way.

He's a big lump of a lad who hasn't shown the injury history Oscar has, and needs to be playing at AFL level (keep him away from the Beagles Bermuda Triangle of development) and will likely be behind Oscar and Waterman for a goalsquare spot for much of his career. Has the brain, body and attitude to do both really well without the off-the-charts singular attribute to be utterly dominant in one role alone - think he's a blue chip fwd/ruck tbh and can be developed as such.

With Archer Reid I'd think similarly along the development path. If we see him as a fwd only (suspect this is right for him), play him as a fwd only. If we see him as a ruck, play him as a ruck predominantly and start moving him there in the WAFL. If we truly see him as doing both (maybe JWilliams doesn't come on at all) then do both. More about actual clarity of roles for mine when comparing with the OA situation - I suspect if OA was in any way a ruckman, had actually been trained there and was actually comfortable there instead of being thrown in randomly he would have gotten less battered and broken.

Tigers should bite their hand off for that. 6,11 for 2,F2 would be equitable, F1 is daylight robbery. Norf don’t need more elite mids so a top 5 pick would be worth less to them.
Here is the HUN article (and Ralph is not credited so his Richmond bias you assume is not there)

It is believed that the Kangaroos are open to trading pick two and a future first-round selection to Richmond, in exchange for picks six and 11 in this year’s draft.

Such a deal would still leave the Tigers with seven early selections this year — at picks 1, 2, 10, 19, 20, 23 and 24 — along with two first-round picks next year.

If Richmond can do it, great to get 2 to enable them to pair up their mids and also great to push forward pick 10 to 2025 which is likely to be a top 6 pick next year. It helps on contract management in years to come.

That will leave the draft in a very interesting place with clubs having two or more picks before ours at 12

I expect clubs will use top 10 picks to also address list needs, not just best available. This will include Tigers (1, 2 and 11 then followed by 19, 20, 23 and 24), Melbourne (5 and 9) and Norf (6 and 10) and St Blunders (7 and 8).

The idea about 2 and F1 for 6 and 10 makes a load of sense for North who quite frankly do not need for the any of the 7 midfielders who are widely seen as the best 7 prospects. What they need to address are talls at both ends. Whether it is a KPF, a bona fide KPD intercepting KPD or a 3rd tall defender like Tauru, they need them all.

If I was list boss at Tigerland, I'd be going FOS and Lalor at 1 and 2. Smith is also in the mix at 2. There are loads of rumours and speculation about the top 3 it will be hard for Cal to work out the jostling.

Carlton only have 1 pick of any value this year and it is 100% for a mid. They must have at least 3 targets in mind otherwise they would have not have traded up. Assuming Lalor and FOS gone, I can mount a good case for one of Smith, Draper, Langford or Reid suiting Carlton. I think Hotton would be too much of a risk, despite the Father/Son link

Crows need mids and if Draper is there, I expect they will pounce. Other than that, there are other mids to go for. less of a go home factor in SA as it is a simple 8 hour drive to get home and for some Vic Country boys for western Victoria, even less.

Now Melbourne at 5 are interesting. The gossip is that they want Armstrong. Dees will be likely pull the trigger at 5 and not risk 9 with Norf in between those picks. Good for us with another tall off early.

At 6, Norf are so into Tauru they will take him at 6, knowing they can get a KPD at 10.I really like Tauru but we need mids so glad that stops us being tempted.

Saints need midfield and outside speed to suit the game style of Ross. I think Murphy Reid and Travaglia will be tempting for them. It cold also be Smillie or Langford.

Then Dees have another turn. With Windsor showing a success this year, they cover outside speed. I suspect even if Travaglia was available, they might not pick him. I think Hotton makes the most sense for them at 9. And if it panned out that way, then great news for us.

Norf will have to go KPP and it is a choice of Trainor or Shanahan in my mind. Whichever is not taken by Norf, I suspect Tigers take the other.

So at 12, we could faced with a choice of Langford, Smillie or Allan. they all address our midfield and all offer something different. If that was the case, I would be OK with it. If Saints did not pick Travaglia and went for one of Langford or Smillie, I would be very happy (provided Clarke actually picked Toby if he was there).

If we traded 3 and some later picks for Travaglia, Baker and Owies, then I suspect a few of us will be giving Matty more credit than we did 2 weeks ago.

View attachment

Oh and for those keen to trade into this draft with future picks, look at the clubs with multiple R1 picks this year and start to understand how it may feel next year. I would be very happy trading a F2 and F3 into this year if the targets we want are still there.

Allen is a KPF who was never going to be a ruck, so him rucking did nothing for his development.
Slight correction on Oscar. Rucking a 19/20 year old had a significant detrimental impact with his development meaning he has lost confidence in his body and may not be the high roaming CHF and be more confined to playing deep.

We should leave the grunt work to Jack and Bailey plus Flynn.

Just all sounds like wishful thinking, no one is really going to look out for us or give us favours. They're all looking out for themselves which is what we should have done

There is some very Interesting science behind this sort of behaviour.

Quite a large sample of studies about who eventually comes out on top. Those who try and shaft everyone every time. Aka Essendon. And those who don't.

Those who try and w8n every deal at the expense of others......they don't end up better off.

Will look it up over the weekend and post a link. Quite interesting study.

Slight correction on Oscar. Rucking a 19/20 year old had a significant detrimental impact with his development meaning he has lost confidence in his body and may not be the high roaming CHF and be more confined to playing deep.

We should leave the grunt work to Jack and Bailey plus Flynn.

So we should have played Oscar in the WAFL instead of exposing him to AFL level and standards when he was 20?

He was behind JK, Waterman and Darling.

Those are some nice bins

Never been a problem with our facilities.

Key personnel on the other hand we are now endeavouring to play catch up football.

That’s on King Nissy, got complacent and didn’t harvest the best talent in the industry, he was after “ Yes Men “.

By the time The Board checked out what was going on in the rear view mirror they were shocked 😳 to see that there were no others behind us …… alas they were all ahead of us.

In his final years King Nissy reminded me of Morgan Freeman chauffeuring in Driving Miss Daisy ……. It’s was a safe ride but we were always last to arrive.

Fortunately that chapter in the Clubs history has finished and we can all look forward to narrowing the gap between us and the contenders.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back