List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Jamo is the worst player on our list. Worse than some of the guys that just got delisted. Classic example of getting an extended run just for being tall.

The attempted move of him to the back line has me thinking about Baz Williams though.

Last year Baz was training for his preferred position as a forward before ending up no.1 ruck again due to Flynn being injured. If we rinse and repeat that then he will be fighting JWillo for the forward/ruck spot alongside Oscar and Jake. JWillo has showed enough to hold his spot so if Flynn is fit where does it leave Baz? He hasn’t shown a great deal of forward craft in his limited time there.

Our tall defender stocks are incredibly thin so do we try him in defense? Maric has the footy IQ to potentially learn off Gov and be an interceptor in the future, but he is also liked on a wing.

Baz is one of the few blokes on our list with some genuine mongrel in him and while he is regularly undersized and beaten in the ruck, he scraps and fights all day. With HEdwards at full back, Baz could easily match it with a 2nd or 3rd tall for size and athleticism, leaving Gov to do his thing for now. We at least know he will give strong effort and doesn’t mind the physicality.

We could have Temu Sicily on our hands and not even know it…

Then if Flynn goes down we bring in Archer Reid and rotate him and JWillo in the ruck. Otherwise maybe Barnett magically has a breakout year or we bring in a mature state level ruck as genuine back up.
Bailey should train as a ruckman for once instead of setting himself up to be a KPP and then being forced to ruck anyway because we only have 1 othe ruckman on the list

Herald Sun reporting that Richmond are considering trading Pick 6 and 11 to North for Pick 2 and their F1.

Think that would rule out any glimmer of hope we would get Pick 10/11 from them (would have been unlikely anyway).

If it does happen though, it seems North would go for Tauru with Pick 6 and hopefully Armstrong/Shanahan/Berry with Pick 11 leaving a slider for us.

6 and 11 for 2 and 2. Seems about right for Richmond.

A mistake for overpaying for sure - but once 14 slides to 16-18 as expected, how much or an overpayment was it? An early second round pick would have been more comfortable for me, so we weren't exactly fleeced as irritating as it is.
Not much of an overpayment on objective market value, however, given he was uncontracted, had nominated West Coast and our first pick after 3 was 26, that should have been the price paid. And based on that, we were fleeced.

Not much of an overpayment on objective market value, however, given he was uncontracted, had nominated West Coast and our first pick after 3 was 26, that should have been the price paid. And based on that, we were fleeced.
Probably worth noting we'd have pick 3 and a couple of picks in the 60's if we'd paid 26 for Baker.

So while our first pick is way worse, our second pick is way better.

So I'm in camp overpaid rather than camp fleeced.

Probably worth noting we'd have pick 3 and a couple of picks in the 60's if we'd paid 26 for Baker.

So while our first pick is way worse, our second pick is way better.

So I'm in camp overpaid rather than camp fleeced.
Sure, but then we could have still split 3 and had 12 and 14 plus Baker instead of 12 and 26 plus Baker.

There is some very Interesting science behind this sort of behaviour.

Quite a large sample of studies about who eventually comes out on top. Those who try and shaft everyone every time. Aka Essendon. And those who don't.

Those who try and w8n every deal at the expense of others......they don't end up better off.

Will look it up over the weekend and post a link. Quite interesting study.
Forgetting footy clubs just think of personal relationships. Those who only want the absolute absolute best for themselves - even at the expense of others - don’t keep friends.

To them a Win:Win is actually a Loss because it means they possibly gave up something, even it’s only two per cent. To them a Win can only be Win:Lose.

I think of an orange man overseas who would never be a reliable friend.

I dunno, I may be in the minority but I'm ok with JWilliams learning his craft in both positions.

Allen is a KPF who was never going to be a ruck, so him rucking did nothing for his development.

BWilliams based on what he's shown with his forward craft is a ruck but not a forward. Whether he's a good enough #1 ruck is up for debate but I don't think he has the forward nous to swing back and forth and impact without being settled down there.

JWilliams I could legitimately see a future in both. There's a small group of players like your Danihers, D.Camerons etc who aren't in the top key forwards in the league, nor in the top rucks, but are in the top ruck/fwds and I reckon JWilliams could be in there too. Those players provide massive versatility and overall utility in good sides, where the momentum isn't killed by them swapping positions either way.

He's a big lump of a lad who hasn't shown the injury history Oscar has, and needs to be playing at AFL level (keep him away from the Beagles Bermuda Triangle of development) and will likely be behind Oscar and Waterman for a goalsquare spot for much of his career. Has the brain, body and attitude to do both really well without the off-the-charts singular attribute to be utterly dominant in one role alone - think he's a blue chip fwd/ruck tbh and can be developed as such.

With Archer Reid I'd think similarly along the development path. If we see him as a fwd only (suspect this is right for him), play him as a fwd only. If we see him as a ruck, play him as a ruck predominantly and start moving him there in the WAFL. If we truly see him as doing both (maybe JWilliams doesn't come on at all) then do both. More about actual clarity of roles for mine when comparing with the OA situation - I suspect if OA was in any way a ruckman, had actually been trained there and was actually comfortable there instead of being thrown in randomly he would have gotten less battered and broken.

The club probably didn’t expect JK to play as long or Allen to come on as quick.

In hindsight, 2020 is when we should have traded Darling or Allen for that matter and cashed in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hasn’t re-signed with Freo, I personally think they will try and shift him to the rookie list which means we can take him in the rookie draft if tigers and Norf don’t.

We should be offering 3 years on good (for him) money with an undertaking to take him at 3. Thank **** Clarke can’t trade that with Carlton for pick 11 and 29.
Further to the above:

“The Dockers also announced they would delist untried ruckman Max Knobel but will re-select him as a rookie at next month’s draft.”

F**king grow some balls and take him at pick 3 West Coast!!! Norf have just taken Goad last year and Richmond have 4 ruckmen 25 and under on their list. Surely he is there at pick 3.

Edit: Beat me to it Eastcoasteagle but surely, SURELY we pull the trigger. That is a Harry Barnett sized list hole addressed immediately and cheaply.
1729836901716.jpeg

1729836410283.jpeg

Last edited:
Forgetting footy clubs just think of personal relationships. Those who only want the absolute absolute best for themselves - even at the expense of others - don’t keep friends.

To them a Win:Win is actually a Loss because it means they possibly gave up something, even it’s only two per cent. To them a Win can only be Win:Lose.

I think of an orange man overseas who would never be a reliable friend.
Donald Trump Idk GIF by Election 2016

Would even DFA if he was keen. Another Gippsland lad

Yep. I would actually prefer getting him onto the main list and leaving pick 3 for an 18 year old. He’ll go straight to league ruck in the WAFL and hopefully push for his spot in the B22 as he develops.

Absolutely agreed. We'd be picking him up with the mindset of developing with us for more than a year so shouldn't be too hard to convince him with a 2 year main list contract (little bit more money to frontload too) vs Freo's rookie contract. Way more opportunities with us too, would be silly not to choose us.

Might also be a kick up the ass for Barnett too, he'll know he'll have to get some aggression into his playing and preparation with his list replacement staring him in the face. 2 years for Knobel would mean they both come out of contract at the same time which I like.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back