List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure there's even less chance of the club pulling a swifty and selecting Knobel in the rookie draft before Cockburn, than there is of us actually walking a trade target to the PSD.

Would love to see it. I'm guessing it won't even be Cockburns first selection in the rookie draft either, probably their second, which gives us even more of an opportunity to dog shot them.

Absolutely agreed. We'd be picking him up with the mindset of developing with us for more than a year so shouldn't be too hard to convince him with a 2 year main list contract (little bit more money to frontload too) vs Freo's rookie contract. Way more opportunities with us too, would be silly not to choose us.

Might also be a kick up the ass for Barnett too, he'll know he'll have to get some aggression into his playing and preparation with his list replacement staring him in the face. 2 years for Knobel would mean they both come out of contract at the same time which I like.

Some impressive hit out numbers in both league and ressies

Anyone who paid more attention to the WAFL than me know why he got dropped after 50 hitouts against East Freo? Seems a tad harsh...

Screenshot_20241025_144732_Brave.jpg

Here is the HUN article (and Ralph is not credited so his Richmond bias you assume is not there)

It is believed that the Kangaroos are open to trading pick two and a future first-round selection to Richmond, in exchange for picks six and 11 in this year’s draft.

Such a deal would still leave the Tigers with seven early selections this year — at picks 1, 2, 10, 19, 20, 23 and 24 — along with two first-round picks next year.

If Richmond can do it, great to get 2 to enable them to pair up their mids and also great to push forward pick 10 to 2025 which is likely to be a top 6 pick next year. It helps on contract management in years to come.

That will leave the draft in a very interesting place with clubs having two or more picks before ours at 12

I expect clubs will use top 10 picks to also address list needs, not just best available. This will include Tigers (1, 2 and 11 then followed by 19, 20, 23 and 24), Melbourne (5 and 9) and Norf (6 and 10) and St Blunders (7 and 8).

The idea about 2 and F1 for 6 and 10 makes a load of sense for North who quite frankly do not need for the any of the 7 midfielders who are widely seen as the best 7 prospects. What they need to address are talls at both ends. Whether it is a KPF, a bona fide KPD intercepting KPD or a 3rd tall defender like Tauru, they need them all.

If I was list boss at Tigerland, I'd be going FOS and Lalor at 1 and 2. Smith is also in the mix at 2. There are loads of rumours and speculation about the top 3 it will be hard for Cal to work out the jostling.

Carlton only have 1 pick of any value this year and it is 100% for a mid. They must have at least 3 targets in mind otherwise they would have not have traded up. Assuming Lalor and FOS gone, I can mount a good case for one of Smith, Draper, Langford or Reid suiting Carlton. I think Hotton would be too much of a risk, despite the Father/Son link

Crows need mids and if Draper is there, I expect they will pounce. Other than that, there are other mids to go for. less of a go home factor in SA as it is a simple 8 hour drive to get home and for some Vic Country boys for western Victoria, even less.

Now Melbourne at 5 are interesting. The gossip is that they want Armstrong. Dees will be likely pull the trigger at 5 and not risk 9 with Norf in between those picks. Good for us with another tall off early.

At 6, Norf are so into Tauru they will take him at 6, knowing they can get a KPD at 10.I really like Tauru but we need mids so glad that stops us being tempted.

Saints need midfield and outside speed to suit the game style of Ross. I think Murphy Reid and Travaglia will be tempting for them. It cold also be Smillie or Langford.

Then Dees have another turn. With Windsor showing a success this year, they cover outside speed. I suspect even if Travaglia was available, they might not pick him. I think Hotton makes the most sense for them at 9. And if it panned out that way, then great news for us.

Norf will have to go KPP and it is a choice of Trainor or Shanahan in my mind. Whichever is not taken by Norf, I suspect Tigers take the other.

So at 12, we could faced with a choice of Langford, Smillie or Allan. they all address our midfield and all offer something different. If that was the case, I would be OK with it. If Saints did not pick Travaglia and went for one of Langford or Smillie, I would be very happy (provided Clarke actually picked Toby if he was there).

If we traded 3 and some later picks for Travaglia, Baker and Owies, then I suspect a few of us will be giving Matty more credit than we did 2 weeks ago.

View attachment 2151593

Oh and for those keen to trade into this draft with future picks, look at the clubs with multiple R1 picks this year and start to understand how it may feel next year. I would be very happy trading a F2 and F3 into this year if the targets we want are still there.

The key to this draft for us is having as many of Tauru, Armstrong, Reid, Hotton, Trainor and Shanahan taken before our pick. They’re all either KPPs or mids with a red flag

As you’ve pointed out if all those 6 are taken then we’re left with a choice of 3 from FOS, Smith, Lalor, Draper, Smillie, Langford, Travaglia or Allan.

Need at least 4 of them taken though otherwise we’re having to take a risk on Hotton/Reid or picking a Lindsay/Hynes type from the next tier

So we should have played Oscar in the WAFL instead of exposing him to AFL level and standards when he was 20?

He was behind JK, Waterman and Darling.
Yes. Playing him in the WAFL is not sexy but it would have not stuffed his body up while he was being monstered in the ruck. We had Hickey as the second ruck - we could never have just played NicNat. Besides Oscar was not very good when playing as a ruckman

Keen to take Knobel with pick 3 in the rookie draft - for one because I rate him, and two to piss off Freo after they drove up the price of both Kelly and Baker.
Get in Knobel and allow Barnett to focus on being a KPDer. That would save us needing to get a KPD in the draft this year and just focus on mids and running half backs.

Not much of an overpayment on objective market value, however, given he was uncontracted, had nominated West Coast and our first pick after 3 was 26, that should have been the price paid. And based on that, we were fleeced.
Even with all those factors I don't think what we paid was that far off fair value - still overs, but we didn't get screwed/fleeced IMO.

That said I 100% wish we'd used 26 and either kept 3 or 12 & 14 (+ Owies) instead.

I'm sure there's even less chance of the club pulling a swifty and selecting Knobel in the rookie draft before Cockburn, than there is of us actually walking a trade target to the PSD.

Would love to see it. I'm guessing it won't even be Cockburns first selection in the rookie draft either, probably their second, which gives us even more of an opportunity to dog shot them.

Would also love to snake them it would be awesome. Agreed though it's not our style, and wouldn't be shocked if a Vic club pulled the trigger on him before our/Freos second rookie pick. Probably why I'd love to see us get him as a DFA instead, remove any stress.

Some impressive hit out numbers in both league and ressies

Anyone who paid more attention to the WAFL than me know why he got dropped after 50 hitouts against East Freo? Seems a tad harsh...

View attachment 2151702

They've got Liam Reidy who's a bit older, a bit more hardened and puts up even more ridiculous hitout numbers - topped 50 for the next few weeks after missing the East Freo game then coming back in against Perth.

Massive boost for their development that they actually have a reserves + an actual selection squeeze down there. Can recognise that both Knobel and Reidy are #1 rucks and play them as such rather than shoehorning one to the forward pocket like we'd have to do.

Edit: sorry just saw stallon answered that a minute ago

Yeah all fantasising aside this is clearly not happening, and all agreements will already be in place between the relevant parties.

Yeah all fantasising aside this is clearly not happening, and all agreements will already be in place between the relevant parties.
Don’t know about that… Article does say “if not selected by another club” and Freo aren’t going to call 17 clubs and confirm that they aren’t going to offer Knobel a contract as a DFA and Max would be mad not to accept a multi year deal on better money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is some very Interesting science behind this sort of behaviour.

Quite a large sample of studies about who eventually comes out on top. Those who try and shaft everyone every time. Aka Essendon. And those who don't.

Those who try and w8n every deal at the expense of others......they don't end up better off.

Will look it up over the weekend and post a link. Quite interesting study.
I never said shaft everyone, but there's middle ground between shafting everyone and trading away good picks for flankers on the back end of their prime

How’s the cheek of Richmond

They get pick 2 from North plus their F1 (likely another top 5 pick) in exchange for pick 6 and 11. Not 10 which they also have but pick 10

So far ahead in that trade but still making sure they keep their pick ahead of North

I understand North’s reasoning but that’s an awful trade

And just another little quirk of this trade period that sees the Tigers absolutely kissed on the dick. They’ve taken full advantage of their luck but the way things have fallen in their lap is insane

Last edited:
How’s the cheek of Richmond

They get pick 2 from North plus their F2 (likely another top 5 pick) in exchange for pick 6 and 11. Not 10 which they also have but pick 10

So far ahead in that trade but still making sure they keep their pick ahead of North

I understand North’s reasoning but that’s an awful trade

And just another little quirk of this trade period that sees the Tigers absolutely kissed on the dick. They’ve taken full advantage of their luck but the way things have fallen in their lap is insane
Has that been done and did you mean F1 Keys ? Or is it F2?

Has that been done and did you mean F1 Keys ? Or is it F2?

Nah. I ****ed up

Meant to type F1 and it hasn’t been done to my knowledge. Not even sure it will be - it’s way too lopsided. I know North are keen to split 2 but that trade is nuts

I'd rather of kept witherden and rotham and delisted jameison and barnett. Bring in knobel, knobel, flynn and bbw competing for number 1 spot. Not a fan of failed rucks trying to convert to fullback.

**yes I am aware jamo and barnett are still contracted

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nah. I ****ed up

Meant to type F1 and it hasn’t been done to my knowledge. Not even sure it will be - it’s way too lopsided. I know North are keen to split 2 but that trade is nuts
Pick 14 was way too lopsided for Baker (the way picks are getting valued around that mark is making it even worse).
6+23 was too lopsided for Rioli

They seem to just get the right buyers at the right time.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back