List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:

Nah. I ****ed up

Meant to type F1 and it hasn’t been done to my knowledge. Not even sure it will be - it’s way too lopsided. I know North are keen to split 2 but that trade is nuts
This year's draft is stated as a deep draft meaning a top 10 this year is like a top 5 in other years. That said, the pointy end is not as dazzling this year (no Harley or McKercher). There will only be 1 F/S in the first dozen picks this year.

The 2025 draft is being talked down as not being as strong (as it is currently viewed) and their will be a heavy premium clubs will need to pay to move a future pick into 2024. There are expected to be 6 to 7 academy picks in the top dozen in 2025.

There is no clear number 1, 2 or 3 in this year's draft and both Langford and Lalor have been tipped as 1 but also tipped as a pick in the 4 to 6 range.

Meaning
2024 Pick 2 is like a pick 3 to 5 in other years
2024 Pick 6 is a pick 3 to 5 in normal years
2024 Pick 11 is like a pick 6 to 8 normal years

So the Norf deal with Tigers is:

2 plus F2 for 6 and 11

Or normalised

3-5 plus 6-10 for 3-5 and 6-8

It does not look that lopsided to me.

The only way it is lopsided is if Norf stink again in 2025 and finish bottom 2.
Darling, Parker and Daniels will see to that!!!
Joking aside, their excessive investment in the midfield and other Aunt Laura gifted picks surely must stat seeing them rise up the ladder.

Probably worth noting we'd have pick 3 and a couple of picks in the 60's if we'd paid 26 for Baker.

So while our first pick is way worse, our second pick is way better.

So I'm in camp overpaid rather than camp fleeced.

The WC sheep maintaining it hasn't been fleeced on Baker and has its dignity intact....

1729842678711.png

Max Knobanui has more talent in his nostril hair then Harry Barnett. His nostril hair probably goes in harder at the contest too mind you

Yeah, this says a lot about Barnett more than anything.

Certainly hasn't kicked off his development at WCE in a hurry. Was a better player when he was 18.

Odd odd contract extension that one.

If we dont draft Max Knobel with pick 3 in the rookie draft, illl personally go down to MRP and take a monster crap on Matt Clarkes BMW

a bird perched on a tree branch with a green ball in the foreground

Go NRMA Go

If we dont draft Max Knobel with pick 3 in the rookie draft, illl personally go down to MRP and take a monster crap on Matt Clarkes BMW

Heck, you've been practicing in here for months!

Can Knoble be signed as a DFA? If so its a no brainer.

AFL is a business and players move, get cut and end up elsewhere. The Ruck Merry Go Round 2024 is up and going.

Knoble is a 206cm pure ruck (forward craft.?) and will turn 21 in June next year. So still some way to go in his development. And many rucks peak in their late 20's and even early 30's. He a longer term prospect, good age and potential.

If Collingwood or some such sign him that would.......... annoy.:huh:

AFL is a business and payers move, get cut and end up elsewhere. The Ruck Merry Go Round 2024 is up and going.

Knoble is a 206cm pure ruck and will turn 21 in June next year. So still some way to go in his development. And many rucks peak in their late 20's and even early 30's. He a longer term prospect, good age and potential.

Yes. 3 years on a modest contract would be absolutely fine with me.
1729843168162.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL is a business and players move, get cut and end up elsewhere. The Ruck Merry Go Round 2024 is up and going.

Knoble is a 206cm pure ruck (forward craft.?) and will turn 21 in June next year. So still some way to go in his development. And many rucks peak in their late 20's and even early 30's. He a longer term prospect, good age and potential.

This is a gift in our lap, we'd be mad not to sign him up.

It’d be a bold move to draft Knobel ahead of Freo.

So of course that means we will definitely not do that. 😅

Absolutely zero chance of that happening but oh well, he’s no sure thing.

His dad was a crab of the highest order - I remember chatting to some joker on here all those years ago that was convinced he was a comparable ruckman to Dean Cox (whom the Saints did not need).

Don’t know about that… Article does say “if not selected by another club” and Freo aren’t going to call 17 clubs and confirm that they aren’t going to offer Knobel a contract as a DFA and Max would be mad not to accept a multi year deal on better money.

Source of pessimism twofold: 1) clubs almost never undercut each other through these sorts of pathways; Freo would surely be very keen to keep Knobel and have arranged an agreement with him. Any contract offers he's going to receive now he's probably already received and considered over the past few months. 2) The thought of WCE doing something bold, aggressive and remotely exciting is right now inconceivable.

Is drafting Knobel ahead of Freo not the very definition of cage rattling?

We’re here to win flags, not to win friends.

Take him.
From what we witnessed over the trade period seems there was very little successful cage rattling. Taking knobel isn't event cage rattling it's being opportunistic. Freo delisted him,couldn't even get a trade out if them

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Source of pessimism twofold: 1) clubs almost never undercut each other through these sorts of pathways; Freo would surely be very keen to keep Knobel and have arranged an agreement with him. Any contract offers he's going to receive now he's probably already received and considered over the past few months. 2) The thought of WCE doing something bold, aggressive and remotely exciting is right now inconceivable.
Justified pessimism I agree. But…

1. Knobel can refuse a DFA contract but can’t refuse selection in the draft. Freo can GAGF.

2. Phil asks Matthew Clarke to step outside and we no longer have a problem. Matthew Clarke can GAGF.

Would we have put a contract to him if we thought he was going to extend with Freo?

I concede the second point, I just hope they are smarting over the way they tried to cut our lunch re: Baker and hit back.

After the backlash for playing nice with Richmond, maybe they will grow a pair. Especially given it's Freo and they tried to screw us over.
There's no getting Freo back in this situation.
They've delisted the bloke.
Any other team are free to talk to him or draft him.
Same goes for any player that is delisted player.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back