List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a glass half full type. I don't think there's a lot of difference between 3 to 14 in this draft, so maybe spending some Draft capital to land Baker doesn't hurt us in any way. It may be a signal to Connor Sports and the other player managers that we'll make a trade happen. Baker and Graham are the first bloke's since TK saying I want to go to West Coast. Not a long list of players nominating us vs Collingwood for example. The deal was the same as Kawhi to the Clippers as a FA but only if you pay the price to OKC to get Paul George to help me out. Its a 2 for 1.

And this HOK ball bullshit where the forwards spread early after turnover which creates forward 50 holes will be picked apart by backline coaches. Defenders will sag off and let them spread wide and protect the corridor. Those 3 future Hawthorn picks could be worth more than we think.

Last edited:

I dunno, I may be in the minority but I'm ok with JWilliams learning his craft in both positions.

Allen is a KPF who was never going to be a ruck, so him rucking did nothing for his development.

BWilliams based on what he's shown with his forward craft is a ruck but not a forward. Whether he's a good enough #1 ruck is up for debate but I don't think he has the forward nous to swing back and forth and impact without being settled down there.

JWilliams I could legitimately see a future in both. There's a small group of players like your Danihers, D.Camerons etc who aren't in the top key forwards in the league, nor in the top rucks, but are in the top ruck/fwds and I reckon JWilliams could be in there too. Those players provide massive versatility and overall utility in good sides, where the momentum isn't killed by them swapping positions either way.

He's a big lump of a lad who hasn't shown the injury history Oscar has, and needs to be playing at AFL level (keep him away from the Beagles Bermuda Triangle of development) and will likely be behind Oscar and Waterman for a goalsquare spot for much of his career. Has the brain, body and attitude to do both really well without the off-the-charts singular attribute to be utterly dominant in one role alone - think he's a blue chip fwd/ruck tbh and can be developed as such.

With Archer Reid I'd think similarly along the development path. If we see him as a fwd only (suspect this is right for him), play him as a fwd only. If we see him as a ruck, play him as a ruck predominantly and start moving him there in the WAFL. If we truly see him as doing both (maybe JWilliams doesn't come on at all) then do both. More about actual clarity of roles for mine when comparing with the OA situation - I suspect if OA was in any way a ruckman, had actually been trained there and was actually comfortable there instead of being thrown in randomly he would have gotten less battered and broken.

I really see a bright future for Jack Williams - 198cm, good skills and footy IQ - I see him developing into a beast FF like Tom Hawkins.

Archer Reid also looks a great prospect from the small sample size we saw this season. My worry is that we will be too tall in the fwd line if we bring him in. Could he be developed into a KPD like his brother but in the Harris Andrews/Darcy Moore role?

Should we send all our ruck squad to KPD training camp?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back