List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
Ok outside of Sampi and Gqrds being two of our worst ever draft picks???
Can someone give me a quick run down of the last 200 pages. Been camping off grid for the last 3.5 weeks. I must say it’s been pretty great and now draft day is only a week away

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Apparently Masto is training the house down.

Ok outside of Sampi and Gqrds being two of our worst ever draft picks???
Can someone give me a quick run down of the last 200 pages. Been camping off grid for the last 3.5 weeks. I must say it’s been pretty great and now draft day is only a week away

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
With our first pick, we're taking Ginbey, wait Busslinger, no Hewitt, wait Allen, Phillipou, no McKenzie, now its Clark.

In A Nutshell GIF

If we are going to limit ourselves with who we draft to country boys and WA kids we will never make it to the top. Even if he did a Judd and played with us for 6 years thats not so bad (especially if we get the good 6 years lol).
There's actually a lot to recommend this as an approach.
Get the best years out of a player (ideally until age 26-27) and when injuries start to take their inevitable toll, then trade out for the high salary, slowing output, more injury ridden last 5-6 years. I know Judd forced our hand, but a number of Euro football teams do this as a salary management measure. Move on their Ronaldo's, Xavi's, Messi's etc. Buy in 18-23 year old Bellingham's, Mbappe's, Salah's etc.
Gets the best years - tick
Avoids the high salary, declining years - tick
Keeps rolling the high salaries off the cap, creating space to chase the best young talent - tick

I have always been a fan of Gaff, but think about it. Is there anyone, who if they could have their time again, wouldn't have jumped at the 2 x 1st rounders Norf offered a few years ago? We now have the classic declining output, slower, more injury prone (after being Mr Durable), high salary, poor value for money situation.

Edit - apparently North fought off Carlton, St Kilda and Melbourne by offering a 7 year 8 Million contract. UPDATE: Gaff rejects Roos, stays with Eagles
There was talk the previous year of trading for him because there was so much interest from multiple clubs.
The FA situation would have got a start or mid of R1 compo under the high $, long contract FA rules of the day? Either way, the thinking still stands.

Last edited:
Get the best years out of a player (ideally until age 26-27) and when injuries start to take their inevitable toll, then trade out for the high salary, slowing output, more injury ridden last 5-6 years. I know Judd forced our hand, but a number of Euro football teams do this as a salary management measure. Move on their Ronaldo's, Xavi's, Messi's etc. Buy in 18-23 year old Bellingham's, Mbappe's, Salah's etc.
Keeps rolling the high salaries off the cap, creating space to chase the best young talent - tick

I have always been a fan of Gaff, but think about it. Is there anyone, who if they could have their time again, wouldn't have jumped at the 2 x 1st rounders Norf offered a few years ago? We now have the classic declining output, slower, more injury prone (after being Mr Durable), high salary, poor value for money situation.
We would’ve got an end of first round compo pick for Gaff - around pick 20. He was AA that year, hardly 2 x firsts

We would’ve got an end of first round compo pick for Gaff - around pick 20. He was AA that year, hardly 2 x firsts

I think we split our first pick that year as well, turning Jez McLennan into Xavier O'Neill and Luke Foley. And then we matched a bid on Jarrod Cameron.

Would have have just drafted O'Neill and Foley anyway if we had two picks to begin with? Who knows. Probably? Either way, glad we kept Gaff.

100%.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thinking that North were going to trade 2 first rounders for a free agent in Gaff is a classic example of warping history to suit your own narrative to then get outraged over.
I thought this was the year before he became a free agent. Was under contract but Norf were desperate and there was the health issues with his father.
Like I say, I've always liked him as a player, even if I would never have offered as much or as long as we did. No outrage.

Considering our track record with taking midfielders over the past ten years is it any wonder i get nervous when i read that Ginbey and Allan could be picked with our first two picks? Both have shot up the draft boards this year and both due to the combine testing more so than extended form throughout the year.

Allan has had a little more experience in the guts but was more a wingman until a growth spurt and Ginbey has played sweet **** all through the middle to be able to say with any certainty he will make a good inside mid.

I just wish we would take the safer path sometimes and pick someone with the runs on the board in the position we want them to play instead of where we hope they will learn to play someday.

I'd much prefer we took Mackenzie, Clark or Humphrey with our first, if they are gone then look you can look at Ginbey or Phillipou.

Same with Hewett or Hollands with our second. If both are gone then look at Ginbey/Allan or Busslinger if all quality mids are taken.

I don't mind them as backups but as our preferences i'd be a little concerned.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So now North would have given us two first rounders for Gaff in 2017 rather than wait and get him for nothing in 2018?

This rewritten history is full of twists and turns. Wish I’d lived through that reality.

Well you can always rewrite history and say you did :moustache:

Bored so i thought I’d do my own Mock Draft up to our 4th selection.

Pick 1. GWS Cadman
2. Lions Ashcroft. (F/S)
3. Nth Warlaw
4. Nth Sheezle
5. Ess Tsatas
6. Suns Humphrey
7. Hawks McKenzie
8. Cats Busslinger
9. Eagles Clarke
10. Saints Hollands
11. Blues Allan
12. Dogs Phillipou
13. Eagles Ginbey
14. Dees Jefferson
15. Swans Hustwaite
16. GWS Hewitt
17. Swans Keeler
18. Lions Fletcher (F/S)
19. Pies Hotton
20. Ess Davey. (F/S). Lose pick 24
21. GWS Konstanty
22. GWS Hayes
23. Eagles Barnett
24. Dogs Clarke
25. Nth Weedle
26. Hawks Cowan
27. Pies Gruzewski
28. Eagles Jones

So Eagles get Clarke, Ginbey, Barnett and Jones.

Gilbey or Smith later in the draft or rookie would round out a nice draft.

Considering our track record with taking midfielders over the past ten years is it any wonder i get nervous when i read that Ginbey and Allan could be picked with our first two picks? Both have shot up the draft boards this year and both due to the combine testing more so than extended form throughout the year.

Allan has had a little more experience in the guts but was more a wingman until a growth spurt and Ginbey has played sweet * all through the middle to be able to say with any certainty he will make a good inside mid.

I just wish we would take the safer path sometimes and pick someone with the runs on the board in the position we want them to play instead of where we hope they will learn to play someday.

I'd much prefer we took Mackenzie, Clark or Humphrey with our first, if they are gone then look you can look at Ginbey or Phillipou.

Same with Hewett or Hollands with our second. If both are gone then look at Ginbey/Allan or Busslinger if all quality mids are taken.

I don't mind them as backups but as our preferences i'd be a little concerned.
Yeah that’s my thoughts too. Why can’t we just pick the guys that have played midfield their entire lives rather than a guy who looks the goods in everything else but for whatever reason can’t find the ball. If he can’t naturally find it at youth level then how do we expect to improve that at AFL level. You’d have thought that blokes with their physical attributes would dominate u18s. Combine results should really mean nothing. It’s nice to know a bloke has pace but if he doesn’t put it to good use (Petch) then what does it matter?

Yeah that’s my thoughts too. Why can’t we just pick the guys that have played midfield their entire lives rather than a guy who looks the goods in everything else but for whatever reason can’t find the ball. If he can’t naturally find it at youth level then how do we expect to improve that at AFL level. You’d have thought that blokes with their physical attributes would dominate u18s. Combine results should really mean nothing. It’s nice to know a bloke has pace but if he doesn’t put it to good use (Petch) then what does it matter?
Petch can use his pace just fine. Blowing his hammies multiple times would be off-putting, I imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back