List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
I’d be more worried about Ginbey if we were the only club showing any interest. Reality is that it’s 50/50 he even gets through to our first pick so it’s not like he doesn’t warrant consideration

There’s going to be at least 4 or 5 players at pick 8 who’d be worth selecting and the clubs ranking will be influenced by things like medical records, private interviews, home visits etc that none of us are privy to

The only player I don’t really want is Busslinger and that’s only because I’d prefer a mid over a KPD with our first pick. Even then, provided we address our midfield depth with later picks I’m not going throw the toys out of the cot if we do call his name out

Interesting read on Matt Burgan’s phantom from 2007. He was Cal Twomey’s predecessor.

We took Masten at 3, Selwood at 13 (Ebert was gone), Addam Maric at 20 (Notte was gone) and Dawson Simpson 😬

He got the top 9 largely right, except Palmer and Myers at 6 and 7 swapped spots. Adelaide picking Ebert and not Danger at 10 was the first real miss.

Harry Taylor went 21. Rance 11, Dangerfield 14, Cyril 15.
Brett Meredith in there at 32. Isn't he an umpire?

Considering our track record with taking midfielders over the past ten years is it any wonder i get nervous when i read that Ginbey and Allan could be picked with our first two picks? Both have shot up the draft boards this year and both due to the combine testing more so than extended form throughout the year.

Allan has had a little more experience in the guts but was more a wingman until a growth spurt and Ginbey has played sweet * all through the middle to be able to say with any certainty he will make a good inside mid.

I just wish we would take the safer path sometimes and pick someone with the runs on the board in the position we want them to play instead of where we hope they will learn to play someday.

I'd much prefer we took Mackenzie, Clark or Humphrey with our first, if they are gone then look you can look at Ginbey or Phillipou.

Same with Hewett or Hollands with our second. If both are gone then look at Ginbey/Allan or Busslinger if all quality mids are taken.

I don't mind them as backups but as our preferences i'd be a little concerned.
Who says we won't take Clark or McKenzie depends how the cards fall. I hope both Clark and McKenzie are available at our pick that would be grand

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gardiner was an excellent player who had his career cut short by injury and drugs

His Eagles career was cut short, still went on to be a valuable member for the Saints.

Just showed he needed to get out of the Perth bubble and away from the bad influences here, has managed to stay out of trouble ever since pretty much.

This was an interesting watch.

If I was putting together a ranking of all the possible permutations of who we might realistically end up with a haul of Busslinger/Ginbey/Barnett/Jones
would be near the bottom

Each player individually I have no issue with, but as a group I don’t like it.

Our biggest area of need is the midfield and this has us taking only one player (Ginbey) that addresses that and even then we’d be selecting him in the hope he becomes a mid

Two talls is one too many so I doubt we’d take Barnett at that pick with Allan still there

It’s why I posted above that I’d prefer not to take Busslinger at 8 - KPD is not a pressing need and taking him with our first pick limits our options to collate a balanced draft haul

Who says we won't take Clark or McKenzie depends how the cards fall. I hope both Clark and McKenzie are available at our pick that would be grand

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
Oh I’m getting excited about landing MacHollands with 8 and 12

Any opinions on Oscar Murdoch from the Geelong Falcons/Vic Country?

Liked his game in the final championships match but haven't seen much further vision of him. Seems to be a bit of a tweener size wise at 193cm.

I'm over all the speculation. Let's just draft a random with a question mark draft profile and fold the club already.

product review: JimmyCase for the iPhone 6s – kelly hogaboom

Obviously more then you.

Maybe we should just wave the white flag and give all the top end talent to the Vic teams

Sounds like top end Vic talent such as Clark we are very keen on.

Just not the self centred mummies boys.

GWS made the same call and even traded for pick 1 to land the best Vic tall.

So not sure what your point actually is? We dont limit ourselves to just W A talent but we are careful who we select, more so than Freo from what history tells us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally disagree. The system is broken.

The draft is more compromised than ever.

The compensation picks for free agency tied to ladder position is a joke.

If players want total human rights to pick and choose clubs should be able to move them on as they need too

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

So which kids have the Eagles lost after 1 to 3 years in the past 10 years?

Swans? Geelong?

Seems the clubs with issues lose players early and the better organised clubs dont.

So is the system broken or just some clubs who cant get their house in order?

So not sure what your point actually is? We dont limit ourselves to just W A talent but we are careful who we select, more so than Freo from what history tells us.

This is exactly what restraint of trade looks like from the other side......players dictating they don't wish to move states in an open national draft. This compromises the national draft which is an indirect restraint of trade.

If clubs are willing to take the risk of taking the next Judd, some insurance in the form of minimal initial unbreakable contracts should be in place.

I think it is important to separate Vic Metro and Vic Country.

Vic Country kids, for the most part, understand they have to move a long way from home to play footy - and many or most have done so already for school (they will often get scholarships, but have to board at the school).

A couple of exceptions around Geelong, Mornington Peninsula, parts of the Yarra Valley and possibly small parts of Gippsland (where the kids may play for Vic Country, but they could easily live at home or near to home and commute to the club for training etc).

So basically we, and a lot of clubs outside of the Victorian clubs, are hesitant to pick Vic Metro boys without doing a heap of due diligence on them. And this year in particular it seems that investigation has uncovered some serious go-home risks and as such we traded down!

So which kids have the Eagles lost after 1 to 3 years in the past 10 years?

Swans? Geelong?

Seems the clubs with issues lose players early and the better organised clubs dont.

So is the system broken or just some clubs who cant get their house in order?
So which kids on our list (top end talent) (that we haven't delisted) (not from WA) in the last 10yrs are worth that conversational point. We are talking about taking top end talent here. We are debating not taking pick 2 this year BC of flight risk.

Cole
Duggen
O'Neal
Petch
Jones
Williams

When all available, 2 of these are in our top 23

I can see 2/3 of these not on our list end of 2023.

Wait and see.
Chesser
Culley

Whats the top end talent do you refer to from Victoria in the last 10yrs?

Gardiner was an excellent player who had his career cut short by injury and drugs
Even with the injuries and drugs he still had a pretty decent career with one outrageously good season.

He did very little on return from injury in 2003 so he made the AA team off what was effectively 13 games.

Dunno just got caught up in the flags

And u kind of made my point for me. We do pick Vic kids and keep them so why are you so worried this time?

Apparently it was right that we traded down because Wardlaw, Sheezle and Tsatas are all flight risks.
My point was, if we are going to trade out of the top draft picks because they’re Vic metro then we are giving the Vic teams a big advantage.

Interesting interview with Judd from the Age a while back (2015)

"In the days leading to draft, Hawthorn said they wouldn't be taking me. Then St Kilda said they wouldn't take me at pick two. And then West Coast said 'can we come around for a chat?'

"I knew then I was going to be taken at three. I was incredibly excited about being drafted but still wanted to stay in Melbourne. In the end, I was lucky to be drafted by such a great footy club and a club that gave me the most incredible six years."

Seems like a similar sentiment to what we’re talking about now. Get the top talent into our club and then impress them. Hope that they stay.
If we’d worried about the go home factor we would’ve missed out on an all time great Eagle.

Whilst many, me included, have presumed part of the reason for the club trading down was the top prospects (Wardlaw, Sheezel, Tsatas) being flight risks it should be noted the club itself has never said this.

In fact they’ve said the opposite unlike GWS who openly admitted their draft board was different due to the go home factor. The experience of each club in retaining players would explain the difference

We’ll likely never know for sure if flight risk was an issue - personally I think it maybe played a part but wasn’t the core reason. I think they just didn’t see enough difference in quality of the players so wanted to get two picks rather than one and the supposed flight risk just made the decision a little easier.

Had there been a clear standout in ability then I don’t think we do the trade

Whilst many, me included, have presumed part of the reason for the club trading down was the top prospects (Wardlaw, Sheezel, Tsatas) being flight risks it should be noted the club itself has never said this.

In fact they’ve said the opposite unlike GWS who openly admitted their draft board was different due to the go home factor. The experience of each club in retaining players would explain the difference

We’ll likely never know for sure if flight risk was an issue - personally I think it maybe played a part but wasn’t the core reason. I think they just didn’t see enough difference in quality of the players so wanted to get two picks rather than one and the supposed flight risk just made the decision a little easier.

I think this is correct - with a little bit of an addition that (I'm just speculating like all others) the club seems to rate Cadman a fair way above the other key forwards in this draft.

But we seem to view the mids, mid/fwds etc as very even.

So 'best available' in the opinion of our recruiters seemed to be Cadman, and we would have taken him at #2 - but once gone they didn't see a whole lot of difference between (and this is just plucking names as I have no idea who their target is) Wardlaw, Tsatsas, McKenzie, Ginbey and Hewett.

In that case why not take 2 of an even group rather than 1 - as you have stated.

I think this is right. The other element is it would’ve set a dangerous precedent to say we traded out because of flight risk. It could establish a trend of Vic metro kids saying they don’t want to move, to force non-vic clubs to trade out of those picks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can accept that. Its just the definitive statements that they wouldn't have worked out for the Eagles is what I was arguing against.

There does seem to be a bit of a trend of us trading down in recent draft history. We seem to pick players we like and trade down to get them.
I'm not saying this approach is bad but I have a gut feeling this played a part also.
I think we may be keen on a couple of players (Ginbey?) and that played a part in us trading down too. We obviously couldn't say that so we used the line of an even draft. Which is also a bit of a half truth because the top 4 are likely pretty clear.

Even with the injuries and drugs he still had a pretty decent career with one outrageously good season.

He did very little on return from injury in 2003 so he made the AA team off what was effectively 13 games.

Was very disappointing in the 2005 G/F loss to Sydney with the amount of high balls that he ran under ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back