List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:

I still think Jamaine is a better fwd/mid than he is a backman and would like to see him move down there again to replace Rioli.
That article had a subscription lock.
Somehow I was able to read the full article before and then now it's asking for subscription to read it. Screw subscriptions.

Long story short it was basically mentioning how Jamaine Jones was a foster kid growing up. Had ADHD and found his way through footy.

Last edited:
I still think Jamaine is a better fwd/mid than he is a backman and would like to see him move down there again to replace Rioli.
Nah I think Jones has cemented his place at half back. His run is important for us at half back. We could experiment a little with him going forward but if we do that we lose pace in the backline again which we despretely need.

Forward pockets isn't a difficult position to replace. Can see us easily finding someone like Darcy Jones in the draft to fill that void.

Forward pockets isn't a difficult position to replace.

Scuse me? :shrug:

Thing about Rioli is he is a natural footballer with absolute forward goal sense. He can kick goals out of nothing, make other shots on goal happen out of nothing.

Finding players like that is harder than it looks, him leaving will be a void we won't be able to fill for some time. Our small forward stocks are in absolute dire straights now IMO.

Langdon and Petrucelle aren't AFL standard, so who else is there?

I like Darcy Jones as much as anyone, but he is an undersized MIDFIELDER, not a forward. Stick him down there and we fall into the same bullshit trap we have done a dozen times over before with Hams, Strijk, Winder, Partington etc etc.

If we want to find a suitable replacement for Rioli, it'll take some time. Doubt it'll be in this draft. Jones might have to go back to playing forward out of necessity.

Good thing we're shit and not contending for anything.

Thing about Rioli is he is a natural footballer with absolute forward goal sense. He can kick goals out of nothing, make other shots on goal happen out of nothing.

Finding players like that is harder than it looks, him leaving will be a void we won't be able to fill for some time. Our small forward stocks are in absolute dire straights now IMO.

I like Darcy Jones as much as anyone, but he is an undersized MIDFIELDER, not a forward. Stick him down there and we fall into the same bullshit trap we have done a dozen times over before with Hams, Strijk, Winder, Partington etc etc.

If we want to find a suitable replacement for Rioli, it'll take some time. Doubt it'll be in this draft. Jones might have to go back to playing forward out of necessity.

Good thing we're s**t and not contending for anything.

This

We're gonna end up forcing square peg midfielders into the round hole forward line, learning nothing from 2018 when we boasted legitimate forwards like LeCras, Cripps, Ryan and Rioli with JK.and Darling.

Good thing we're s**t and not contending for anything.

We have one hoping we draft him this draft. Darcy Jones. Same height as Jnr plays the same position. HFF / Mid. Pace, swervability, good mark, tackles and kicks goals.

Big difference, we wants to play for us.

Foxsports says Richmond are trading in Taranto and Hopper from GWS. How is a team that has won 3 flags recently able to have the cap space and trade capital to get deals like that done? Mayby Dusty is on the way out and that is part of it. In any case they have managed their list a hell of a lot better than us in order to be doing these deals.
Last night Riewoldt said his one year extension is at about one quarter of what his highest contract was.

Lot of speculation before last night it was going to be around the $300k mark.

You would suspect that Cotchin would have just re-signed on a similar deal.

Look at their list.

Apart from Lynch, Martin and Bolton, who else is going to be on big money? Who is going to be on decent money (Prestia, D.Rioli, Grimes)?

Otherwise their list is full of role players, and very promising kids on their draftee contract or first contract.

They should have a fair bit of cash available.

Last night Riewoldt said his one year extension is at about one quarter of what his highest contract was.

Look at their list.

Apart from Lynch, Martin and Bolton, who else is going to be on big money? Who is going to be on decent money (Prestia, D.Rioli, Grimes)?

Otherwise their list is full of role players, and very promising kids on their draftee contract or first contract.

My point is they didn't get intimidated and bum rushed into long term deals for their premiership players to keep the team together like we did. And if they just narrowly lost to Brisbane in Brisbane in a final and their team is full of role players, and i agree with you that it is, and they have plenty of cash available then how damning is that of a comparison to us? We have less cash available than they do by the looks of it and we finished second last. If Reiwoldt played for us he would be probably be demanding a 3 year deal on 500k a year and we would probably give it to him.

Foxsports also saying that it looks like Port will be trading their compo pick for Amon to us for Rioli. No further media speculation regarding Duursma so it looks like that was fake news from Channel 7.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look at their list.

Their issue will be putting together a deal that keeps GWS happy

Picks 12,19 & 30 likely isn’t enough even with next years first added

I might be overvaluing Taranto and Hopper but I don’t think so

According to our resident Lions/GWS mod on our (Lions) board, you may be over valuing both players.

However Taranto definitely suits the Richmond style of play in the midfield, where getting the ball forward at all costs, is more highly valued than the quality of ball going forward.

Taranto not such a good user of the ball.

Hopper is the better midfielder, but is injured a lot.

With a future 2nd they have enough for both.

Remembering GWS has the cap issues.

12, 19, 30 and a future 2nd for Taranto and Hopper is pretty much on the money IMO. At most swap the future 2nd for a future 1st.

Now the season is over, it’s time to rollover this thread but this time we’re going to have a go at splitting the discussion between contract/trades and potential draftees
I for one am so glad you've shaved 18 pages from this now 104 page thread.

My point is they didn't get intimidated and bum rushed into long term deals for their premiership players to keep the team together like we did. And if they just narrowly lost to Brisbane in Brisbane in a final and their team is full of role players, and i agree with you that it is, and they have plenty of cash available then how damning is that of a comparison to us? We have less cash available than they do by the looks of it and we finished second last. If Reiwoldt played for us he would be probably be demanding a 3 year deal on 500k a year and we would probably give it to him.

Foxsports also saying that it looks like Port will be trading their compo pick for Amon to us for Rioli. No further media speculation regarding Duursma so it looks like that was fake news from Channel 7.
Fox Sports were saying Richmond has offered Taranto a massive 7 year deal.
No word on Hopper as yet.

They've offered Cotchin and Reiwoldt heavliy reduced deals like we've done to Shuey and Hurn.

Not sure where you got the idea that Richmond didn't offer long term deals to the premiership stars.

Richmond signed Cotchin, Martin and Reiwoldt on huge deals.
Tom Lynch got a 7 year deal.

I've got no idea how tight our cap is.

With a future 2nd they have enough for both.

Remembering GWS has the cap issues.

12, 19, 30 and a future 2nd for Taranto and Hopper is pretty much on the money IMO. At most swap the future 2nd for a future 1st.
That's nowhere near enough.
Taranto is worth 12 and 19 as it is.

You're not getting Hopper for pick 30 and a 2nd rounder.

They've offered Cotchin and Reiwoldt heavliy reduced deals like we've done to Shuey and Hurn.

Not sure where you got the idea that Richmond didn't offer long term deals to the premiership stars.

And then there's the Dusty contract, which is a monster.

According to our resident Lions/GWS mod on our (Lions) board, you may be over valuing both players.

However Taranto definitely suits the Richmond style of play in the midfield, where getting the ball forward at all costs, is more highly valued than the quality of ball going forward.

Taranto not such a good user of the ball.

Hopper is the better midfielder, but is injured a lot.

Taranto went #2 in 2016. I know that doesn't mean he's worth that now - but I think if he were in the open draft he would go top 5-6 this year (as the player he is now - not what he was in 2016 of course), so a bundle of late teens and early 20's picks is pretty rubbish return.

And Hopper added to that, it's certainly not enough.

It could get very messy, as GWS have shown a few times that they won't take massive unders for players when clubs are chasing them. I know they have salary cap issues, but mid-range picks shouldn't get this deal done.

I didn't say they didn't offer anybody long term deals. But the players who were getting them there were A listers and Brownlow medallists like Martin and Cotchin. Not B listers like Gaff and Darling.

I don't agree with offering anybody a 7 year deal. If that is true of Richmond then i think that that is pretty stupid of them.

Taranto went #2 in 2016. I know that doesn't mean he's worth that now - but I think if he were in the open draft he would go top 5-6 this year (as the player he is now - not what he was in 2016 of course), so a bundle of late teens and early 20's picks is pretty rubbish return.

And Hopper added to that, it's certainly not enough.

It could get very messy, as GWS have shown a few times that they won't take massive unders for players when clubs are chasing them. I know they have salary cap issues, but mid-range picks shouldn't get this deal done.

They need to be realistic that Richmond can't conjure up draft picks out of nothing.
Giving up their entire draft hand for this year and another pick next year is pretty much the maximum that GWS can ask for.

GWS also needs to shed players due to salary cap, so they're in a position where they need to maximise what they get and not cut their nose off over some irrational demand.

I didn't say they didn't offer anybody long term deals. But the players who were getting them there were A listers and Brownlow medallists like Martin and Cotchin. Not B listers like Gaff and Darling.

I don't agree with offering anybody a 7 year deal. If that is true of Richmond then i think that that is pretty stupid of them.

Gaff and Darling are B listers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back