List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
If you told me i could do the same job at another company I'm doing now, guaranteed for the next 4 years on better money, you can bet your ass I'm taking it.

Is it a dog act by Rioli? Yes. Is that also natural in a professional sporting environment that this happens? Also yes. His priority is to himself and his family, not his employer, albeit one who stood by him when he should have been sacked.

Look at it this way. If we sacked Rioli 2 years ago we'd have got nothing. Now we're at least getting a pick for it, so it was a good bit of business sticking by him regardless.
Naturally, he's entitled to make these choices.

But he shouldn't be expecting a warm reception back at Optus. Comes with the territory.

I watch Richmond with interest and intrigue. They are looking at possibly one or both of Hopper and Taranto.

They hold picks 12 and 19 (The CCJ gift from Norf) which would probably go close to getting both (maybe something else). The key is that of Dusty and shedding his contract. The could possibly just give up just 19 and throw in Dusty to GWS (provided Richmond pay a chunk of his salary).

With Hopper and Taranto they would be in a position to let Cotchin retire. That would mean Dusty, Cotchin, Edwards and Lambeth all off in one year. Tigers have a load of soldiers and few superstars meaning they will be able to manage the cap. Apparently Jack Riewoldt will be on a very low wage in 2023.

If that all happens, they probably drop out of the Junior race.

GWS is shedding these players because they have roughly 3.6 million each year already tied up between 4 midfielders.

Now if Richmond was willing to pay say 300k of Dusty's salary (reportedly the last 2 years are 1.3mill a year so i'd say take 100k or so off that for real figures) and it was restructured for 300k of it to be paid by the AFL as an ambassador package I could see someone like GC being interested. GC give up 32,33 and future first. 12,19 and GC future first go to GWS. 32,33 go to Richmond. GWS and Richmond future second go to GC . GC get Dusty as well as GWS and Richmond's future second. Dusty will want more than the years left on his contract mind you so it would probably need to be a 4 year deal with the third and fourth year paying 300k a year less.

GC go into next year with Dusty and 3 second rounders for 2023 but lose their latter 2 second rounders this year and their future first. So in reality they are swapping 2 seconds this year for 2 next year and swapping Dusty for their future first but due to Richmond and the AFL they are only paying 6-700k of his salary making him affordable and Bringing a lot of marketability for them and the AFL in SE Queensland. Add a hopefully fully fit Dusty and Ben King into their side and they will be confident of finals football.
GWS lose Taranto, Hopper and future second but gain 12,19 and GC future first thus spreading their gain across 2 seasons. Solves their salary issue potentially allowing them to Keep Bruhn.
Richmond lose Dusty and 300k salary cap for 2 years plus 12, 19 and their future second. Gain 32,33 to use in this years draft. This allows them the salary cap space to sign both Hopper and Taranto fixing their midfield issues into the future, solves their salary issue. It also allows them to keep next years first thus giving them 30,32,33 in this years draft. (would probably get them Brisbanes first if they want it and would allow brisbane to have 30,31,32,33 which is enough to match Ashcroft and the Mcstay pick plus maybe 44 would be needed for Fletcher assuming the Mcstay is a tier 3 compo)

It does favour Richmond but it does also really mean they are going all in at one last shot while Dusty gets his pay day, the AFL are ****ing stoked and GWS get a little bent over but not really considering they have to shed salary.

This is true.

Which means we can open up into a nice friendly discussion about what people think might be better. A better career CV, or coaching WAFL colts.

Personally I think a good mix of both is tasty. 28 games and a Colts coaching background isn't really a good mix IMO.

Now, ima go workout, you have a think about your answer and we can reconvene later.
Would anyone entertain the thought of trading Pick 2 for Erasmus?
I'm thinking that might be the best talent acquisition move for us, and allows Frockers to acquire ammo for Jackson.
Interesting idea, would want more than just Erasmus, possibly Meek as well, anything else? Their first round pick?

You have a choice to keep 2 of

Rotham
Witherden
Langdon
Nelson

Who do you keep and why?

You have a choice to keep 2 of

Rotham
Witherden
Langdon
Nelson

Who do you keep and why?
Rotham and Langdon. Both contracted, one perhaps has some good footy in them.

Bin off the two who are below standard and OOC. Langdon will go at the end of his deal next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's an unlikely/outlandish but net positive suggestion.
If Brisbane win this week (unlikely) then they will have a pick likely about 15-16.
We trade our pick 20 as well as pick 26 for pick 15-16 from Brisbane. Note: this could still work with Brisbane losing in the semi-finals this week, however, I think we'd have to work a lot harder to convince them to hand over pick 13-14 for picks 20 and 26. Pick 15-16 is much more palatable from a Brisbane perspective (1067 points to 1641 points).
We then trade Rioli and pick 15-16 for pick 7 from Port Adelaide.
This puts Rioli approximate value at pick 33 (or end of second round pick).
Pick calculator 2.jpg

Last edited:
We trade our pick 20 and 26 for pick 15-16.
That sounds terrible to me. The calculator has those two picks valued at pick 7, which sounds about right to me.

Looking at the calculator, 16 + rioli for 9 gave Rioli's value at 33 which is roughly even. But if you use the original picks we are losing to get 16, his value is pick 58.

Screenshot from 2022-09-05 13-37-17.png

Last edited:
That sounds terrible to me. The calculator has those two picks valued at pick 7, which sounds about right to me.
No, the calculations matter most to teams like Brisbane because of their two outstanding players they have to bid on very high in this draft.
We would also have to usurp any other prospective traders to Brisbane hence the overpayment (although not as bad as you're suggesting).
There's no way that we could convert picks 20 and 26 into pick 7 in any reasonable trade. It just wouldn't be entertained.

No, the calculations matter most to teams like Brisbane because of their two outstanding players they have to bid on very high in this draft.
We would also have to usurp any other prospective traders to Brisbane hence the overpayment (although not as bad as you're suggesting).
There's no way that we could convert picks 20 and 26 into pick 7 in any reasonable trade. It just wouldn't be entertained.

Port have pick 8 which will become pick 9 after the Ashcroft bid.

This is how Freo rebuilt so well. They had quality players leave the club on top of their low finishes. I say almost every player is on the table. Rioli is exciting but he's not reliable.
Freo's rebuild was shambolic and half succeeded in spite of their strategy. They had bust trade after bust trade and missed finals for 6 seasons. If they had just kept some of their decent players and hit the draft, they might have been back with a few years.

As it stands, they look well short of being a team that can win a flag. Almost lost on Saturday against a bog average Bulldogs. Their forward line sucks and they are likely to lose Lobb this off season. I don't see how they take the last step to contender without a short bottoming out, but as they need a gun KPF, that probably won't work in the short term.

Great to see Jermaine Jones get a contract extension along with Bazzo and Jamieson. Liked what he's done since moving to the backline with his run and carry. Bazzo just seems so mature for his age. Will be a great asset to the club. Hope Jamo develops into a ruck/defender and given time i think he will. Seems to have a bit of a footballers brain which should hold him in good stead for the years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back