List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
Hopefully we play both Hunt and Jones (and maybe even Cole) in defence at the same time. It will be chaotic but fun

Honestly, am still iffy on the Hunt pickup but if we were contending I'd be bloody excited about our backline. If we had say Melbourne's midfield then

Cole Barrass Jones
Hunt McGovern Yeo

Would surely be the most attacking backline we've ever played. Defending schmefending.

A 3-year deal for Hunt?🤦‍♂️If true, we are building quite the record of substandard list management decisions (and a wafl level side in the process).

Hunt is one of the biggest ball butchers in the league. 28 at the start of next year with a 3 year deal on a what is likely to be reasonable coin.

While we do lack run off HB (which is surely inhibiting our transition to a modernised game plan), is the solution simply plugging-in-and-playing a severely limited D-grader?

This points to a broader strategic failure of the club. We have not adequately anticipated and planned for the tactical developments observed in the past few years. Consequently, we are forced into making reactionary decisions, like Jones to HB, or paying overs (in contractual terms) for a mediocre player. Contrast this with Brisbane's foresight in shipping off a promising but slow half back flanker (who was performing well at the time) in favour of promoting faster but less established players (and it is no coincidence who was duped in this deal). And having not positioned our list and cap adequately (more consequences of the Kelly trade), we were not able to make a substatial play for an ideal, long-term, flexible candidate for the role when the opportunity arose (i.e. J.Clark).

Rather than poaching Hunt, I would have rather persisted with Jones, trained/played Hough or Chesser in the role, or at the absolute worst, tried Petch off HB. He has a similar "skillset" to Hunt in that he has one useful attribute. Perhaps Rioli leaving unexpectedly and thinning our options at HF has tied Jones and Petch to HF.

Saw someone write this today (from Dees fan), and thought this was pretty spot on:

"I bet West Coasts forwards are absolutely licking there lips having Jayden Hunts floating helicopters breaking there thumbs every time he butchers the ball inside 50! 🤦🏻‍♂️
Yes he is fast and has a red hot crack, but he’s decision making and foot skills are a liability."

Saw someone write this today (from Dees fan), and thought this was pretty spot on:

"I bet West Coasts forwards are absolutely licking there lips having Jayden Hunts floating helicopters breaking there thumbs every time he butchers the ball inside 50! 🤦🏻‍♂️
Yes he is fast and has a red hot crack, but he’s decision making and foot skills are a liability."
He'll fit right in then

Much better to have the ball kicked backwards and move into the forward line slowly so the opposition can flood back. The forwards love that more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boys we’ve finally signed our next Tim Houlihan

I was worried about there assessment, but they're was something not quite right their.

Smallwood ( Claremont ) doesn't do a lot wrong , small forward great skill and pace.
Buller talented KPF also .

Neither are AFL quality.

I don’t think it will cost them quite all of that but it’s a big cost and not far off what we gave for Kelly

It was more just an example of how Fremantle might be able to get what Melbourne are after - no knowledge of whether Port would entertain that
It would be pretty stressful being Peter Bell right now. All these balls in the air. One deal is contingent on what you get from another deal. So they are all interlinked and interdependent as opposed to seperate compartmentalised negotiations you can conduct in parallel. I think us having second pick in the PSD is a bonus for Freo. Gives them extra leverage over Melbourne unfortunately.

Neither are AFL quality.
I completely agree. I was at the game today and not one player on both teams stood out as having afl quality.

Jason Carter was the only one that when he got it produced some beautiful afl quality kicks, but he had very few possessions.

We will get slagged on trade radio if we are not active in many trades. They always seem to think that whichever club was most active in trade week "won" trade week. But when you almost a spooner then it is hard to get players to want to come to your club without offering massive coin. If there is nothing there worth pursuing or in our interests then i would rather the club just do nothing and take the picks to the draft.

Better to have helicopters entering our F50 than to have 90% of the game played in our defensive half like 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back