List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
I’m for splitting our No2.if we can get pick6-9 we can take Hewitt.I’ve only seen a iTunes clip but left,right,swerve,goals plus playing league and being local spells WCE to me.I wouldn’t be that surprised if we took him at two.Certainly delivers the ball better than Wardlaw.If we can get him with a higher draft No and get someone’s future first we can go into next year’s draft with two picks probably under 14. I don’t think Port are going to set the world on fire. As oft stated they have a s**t spine and very dubious defence.
We get this years target and a low future.WinWin
Would not put it past us to make recruiting decisions based on iTunes clips

I actually feel for Melbourne. Taking a pick 3 and having him impress the league only to be offered magic beans because he wants to come home. What are they meant to do.

The players have far too much power in this league.

Tell gws we’re taking Cadman and accepting 3 + 2023 additions.

Then tell Essendon and hawthorn we’re taking Sheezel if we use the pick and we’re 2022 first round and 2023 additions.

Once we have their pick tell Geelong we’re taking Clark and will accept 7 + 2023 additions.

Adds a lot of currency for next years stronger draft

Shift as many list clogging contracts as possible next year.

Would love to death ride and trade down our 1st multiple times just for the melts on here!

2 to 3
3 to 4
4 to 6
6 becomes 7 and use it.

Lol, would be epic.

Things like this is why I think it's so risky to pump up next year's draft 12 months in advance

Oh bullshit.

Just because one player out of a cohort has slipped dramatically, doesn't validate your theory.

WCE are in a very powerful draft position. Feels great haven't felt this alive in while due to our success.

Pieman better know there are three options and directions

1) Part of Port trade
2) Part of Brisbane trade & get Devo
3) Part of Melb trade & get Jackson
4) Draft

ALL options must be explored and on the table. Somebody inform the port nuffies ANY deal with us MUST involve Rioli. Lol @ nah nah rioli is a not a priority for port. We don't care you are forced take him and pay the * up!

To help get the Dunkley trade done.

We trade F2 and pick 26

Lions give back Robertson and pick this years 21.

Our future 2nd I think will be around 23 which will move out with FS, academy and compo picks. Say 26. We get a 5 spot upgrade this year and hold 20 and 21.

Lions trade 26, Lions F1 and our F 2nd for Dunkley.

Oh bullshit.

Just because one player out of a cohort has slipped dramatically, doesn't validate your theory.

stan marsh satellite GIF by South Park

I’m just fuming at how soft we have been this trade period. Go hard at a Port player. Give Duursma or a Georgiades a 5 year deal and force Ports hand. If Rioli is worth 4 years 2.4, Georgiades is a no brainer at 5 and 3 mill

The reason we get bs articles like the pick 2 one is because publicly we are viewed as soft turnovers. The reason we are viewed that way is because we are
We havent done anything yet. How can yiu be angry ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Can we trade Gaff & XON to a Melb club?
Get another 1st round pick to get Ginbey.
If we want locals, lets get Ginbey & Hewett.
Send Vics home, get SandGropers in.

Highly unlikely we can get a bloke who is had it on a big salary and a guy who hasn’t shown he has it to someone else for anything worthwhile

I get the haggling over Sharpe, that’s what any competent organisation should be doing even if they end up accepting your 2nd

The absolute rollover with Bowes is *ed in the head. Even for Geelongs future 1st that’s a sweet deal but taking a future pick in the mid 30’s is ridiculous
I have not problem with GC salary dumping bowes .

I don't have a problem with GC chucking in pick 7 .

I don't even have a problem with it being Geelong.

My problem is who ever gets the salary dump should have to pay the rest of the contract how it was from the other club .

No renegotiate over a longer term or smoothing i think barrett called it .

If you are getting a high pick as a salary dump you have to cop that 850k for 2 years .

Instead of 1.7 million of 2 years its now 3 million over 5 years .

If we do end up pulling the trigger on the 2 for 8 plus a future 1st with Port, I genuinely hope and expect that we’ve discussed a pick split option with all of GWS, Essendon, Gold Coast and Hawthorn to see what options we had

Whilst many here, including myself, have theorised over some beneficial scenarios maybe they’re just not on the table or any likelihood of becoming so

We’ll likely never know but I’d be happier if it was eventually revealed that those discussions were held and the Port offer was better than anything else

it feels to me like the clubs think 2023 is another 2001, 2008, 2016 draft where there are quality players falling out of every cupboard, and you will get excessive value from that 2023 extra first round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jayden Hunt in at no cost.
At the moment I’d say WC are doing a very good job during trade period.

Jayden Hunt in at no cost.
At the moment I’d say WC are doing a very good job during trade period.

We got Jayden Hunt mate, not Petracca, “very good job” might be an exaggeration

If we take Tsatas with pick 2 we should be melting. He is an outside leaning 1 way runner with questionable foot skills. Given that we took a couple of outside leaning types with our first 2 picks last year, there is no way that we can pick another 1 with pick 2.
Nah he has a very effective kick racks the ball up is first to the ball and breaks the lines and doesn't mind the tough stuff he has averaged 33.8 disposals, 12.2 contested possessions, 8.2 inside 50s and 2.7 score assists in the NAB league.

We will have to disagree on this one 👍

My problem is who ever gets the salary dump should have to pay the rest of the contract how it was from the other club .

If you are getting a high pick as a salary dump you have to cop that 850k for 2 years .

Yea they can probs get around it though by having them sign two contracts. First for two years $1.7m, next for 3 yrs $1.3m. Shuffle some other players salaries around for next 2 years to fit it.

I don't see the issue to be honest. The new club that extends him to bring his average salary down is still going to have to offer at least whatever his current value is in those extra years. Bowes isn't going to agree to less than what he thinks his own value is - like any other player signing an extension.

People are acting like GC have just given Geelong an absolute gift. Maybe it was generous given they had a few clubs interested, but they do get something out of this. They bought Bowes on Afterpay and decided to sell him instead of pay the bill.

Cats are at it again. This is why respect in trading has gone out the window with a lot of clubs the last few years. Port following in the Cats footsteps. Eagles need to get tough with a few clubs and if a player of ours leaves not just accept anything. Rioli needs to be 2nd round pick or Kangas will pick him up in the PSD.

Usually the PSD doesn't happen but I think we are about to see a few players end up there frustrated over the coming years with how some clubs are behaving. Cats are disgraceful to deal with and I'm glad someone's finally called them out on it.

Last edited:
I don't see the issue to be honest. The new club that extends him to bring his average salary down is still going to have to offer at least whatever his current value is in those extra years. Bowes isn't going to agree to less than what he thinks his own value is - like any other player signing an extension.

People are acting like GC have just given Geelong an absolute gift. Maybe it was generous given they had a few clubs interested, but they do get something out of this. They bought Bowes on Afterpay and decided to sell him instead of pay the bill.

Bowes isn't the gift, pick 7 is. That's the bit I don't get, why add 7 when Bowes himself is a good player?

If you can smooth the contract out so it's say $2.4m over 4 years then that's not all that unreasonable to what he's probably worth. Offer Bowes on his own for pick 99 or even Bowes plus a free 2nd/3rd rounder and it's still a good deal amd would have takers.

Pick 7 for free is completely bonkers

I don't think there are any issues with the Bowes trade. It was reported early that GC were looking to dump Bowes and offering pick 7. At that point, they should have received 17 phone calls. It was only later that Geelong was mentioned which suggests to me they have the capacity to take Bowes on. If that reporting is accurate, that is on the other clubs (us included) more than Geelong. If the reporting is inaccurate, look at the reporter(s). Can't blame Geelong for managing their cap well. This is more an indictment on Gold Coast for putting themselves in a position where they feel they need to offer pick 7 for nothing.

Bowes isn't the gift, pick 7 is. That's the bit I don't get, why add 7 when Bowes himself is a good player?

If you can smooth the contract out so it's say $2.4m over 4 years then that's not all that unreasonable to what he's probably worth. Offer Bowes on his own for pick 99 or even Bowes plus a free 2nd/3rd rounder and it's still a good deal amd would have takers.

Pick 7 for free is completely bonkers
GC obviously didn't think there would be too many players who would want a 'good' player that needs to be paid close to a million a year. They were probably wrong about that but I can see their thinking - as for Bowes as a player, I don't know much about him tbh. I was responding to people saying Geelong should be forced to pay him the $800k per year for the next two years rather than being allowed to smooth it out something close to "what he's probably worth". If Bowes is happy to do that again, and Geelong want to do it, it's hardly an unfair advantage - GC themselves could have done this.

Gold Coast are only drafting one player this year, similar to last year. They'll upgrade two rookies to the senior list to make the required 3 senior list changes this year.

They still have an extended rookie list, so they can run with a shorter senior list until the AFL pulls back this concession.

Plus still have access to Darwin NT players with no picks needed.

Is Houston a fair trade for Rioli?

The hard thing for us, if we are going to start asking for or trying to trade in players, is going to be convincing the player to come to a club that is at the bottom of the ladder. Assuming they are already getting a regular game where they are then we will probably have to offer significant overs in terms of money to get players to want to come at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back