List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. Other Assorted Crap. 2020 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone is saying that we will trade the future third for Witherden but I reckon we will cave and hand over Port's second. That is the club we are.
Everyone is saying that we will trade the future third for Witherden but I reckon we will cave and hand over Port's second. That is the club we are.
More likely WCE package a few picks to make everyone happy...

Hopefully our future 3rd (and we keep Sydney's)
Nah we’re not like that - much to the chagrin of many supporters.

It’ll be the future 2nd I reckon - to soften the blow for helping pay his salary

We’e done well if this last trade lands, Ryno saying 99% done. Made the squad stronger.

Stoked, super stoked

Hey fam if we're up against say.. a rampaging Gawn or Grundy next season in round 2 for instance, and Naitanui is out injured..

Nobody sees a potential flogging coming up by throwing Williams in on his own?

And if Vardy partners him you might as well just play Williams on his own, for all of Vardys impact on games the past 2 years.

I'm as much of a Bailey fan as anyone, but I'm not sure he's got enough exposure to AFL level yet to believe he's capable of even holding his own. It's a confidence thing.

Really hope the club recognises we don't have the luxury of Hickey anymore and Bailey is played alongside NN right off the bat in 2021. He needs to play.

surely we pick up a mature age ruck from the state leagues Somewhere

Yeah maybe - unless salary cap's are as tight as they sound

if you were Witherden, would you accept less pay with the potential to play more At west coast or would you stay in Brisbane where you are paid more and surrounded by mates then try and get better in the areas where you are deficient?

If I were Witherden I would choose more pay and hold Brisbane to the contract they promised rather than let them out easy because a carrot is being dangled in front of me from west coast. They are potentially Offering more playing time, but that has the potential to not eventuate.

then when his contract finishes (because Witherden will still be young) He should see where he is at then. He is a very good player and I would predict he will do fine, but clubs need to be held to account.

I would love him to come to west coast btw!

From the oracle

Feel like this happens every night or your evenings. A tweet saying it's done clubs have agreed, Alex is onboard.

Next morning, clubs still not seeing eye to eye on salary and Alex hasn't confirmed yet. He's comfortable in QLD with his mates.

I hope it does happen, but until it does I won't get too excited.
Love if it wasn't a 3rd rounder, but likely our second rather than Ports. Which I think we'll finish higher than Port next year anyway!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feels like eagles have just given up on this years draft. And rightfully so! After compensation picks, F/S & Academy bids, we were probably entering the draft in the 40s. Might as well enter in the 60s for the lottery it is that far down.

The plethora of decent picks in 2021 shapes to be a repeat 2017.

Last edited:
The normally reliable Daniels is about 0-3 for his Witherden/Hickey tweets thus far.

Will be interesting fact checking his latest and seeing how things end up tomorrow.

Also the full fall out out from this trade period.

So far it's :

IN : Langdon, 58, 62, Future 2nd (Port), future 3rd (Syd)

OUT : Hickey, 34, 54, 60

(Witherden and presumably our future 3rd added in tomorrow)

Obviously Witherden the outstanding trade we want done (with Deven Robertson thrown in as a sweetener :) ). Just seems to be hurdle after hurdle here. He seems keen/wants to stay, Brisbane want to trade/Brisbane don't want to trade, salary dump/pay part/don't really want to pay part.

With Hickey gone I actually wouldn't be averse to losing or delisting Vardy as well.
Pick up a DFA on the cheap or one or two of the best WAFL/SANFL rucks as rookie backups. Let's be honest, they'd have to be better than Vards of 2019-20 and would be cheaper than a main list salary.

Pick up a couple of likely TAC mids who didn't play in 2020 and maybe hit a Cripps/Fyfe winner from late on.

What will then matter is who we delist with the changes we've made.
Jetta?
Hutchings?
Vardy?
Ah Chee?

2021 then becomes interesting if we keep a decent hand of picks and free salary from Bunga/JK and so on.

If - and it's a big if, not a bullshit Barrettesque "if I ever have something interesting to say then.. then there's no ****ing evidence of it so far." type if - we land Witherden and Langdon with a fairly poor hand of cards to play with, we've done very well this trade period.

I'm a little sad to lose Hickey - he seemed like a genuinely nice bloke who didn't mind playing a secondary role in the squad - but happy he's able to get where he wants to, while also doing some nice business on the side of it.

Even if it's just Langdon and the Witherden deal.. withers, den we've still done pretty well. Kudos Glassy.

I think we were spoiled by the very good Lycett/Vardy defensive combo in 2018 when Nic went down, and now assume that any old backup ruck is going to be able to nullify the gun rucks. Fact is Lycett is much better than Hickey and Vardy’s desperation during the finals series was enough to make the two ruck model work.

So people have assumed that you could just swap out Lycett with Hickey and get 2018 post-Nic Nat results. But in the two years Hickey never managed a game even half as good as Jono Giles’s GOAT performance against Adelaide that time. He’s not inconsistent - just not very quite good enough to make an impact.

Vardy’s injuries do make him pretty sh*t depth, but I don’t think we lose anything by playing Bailey/Allen compared to Hickey, and there is a lot more potential upside.
Hickey plays like a guy who spent his entire childhood as a clumsy galoot who was constantly yelled at to not crush the other children beneath his outlandishly large frame.

He just can't be aggressive. There's Pavlovian/Freudian shit hardwired into him.

Source: look into a mirror every goddamn day.

Already preparing my melt posts for when Witherden doesn’t rack up 20+ touches in his first game

Gonna be hard when he's playing the sacrificial Marsden pleb role and required to guard space on the outer wing all game.... amirite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back