Could we yet lose Tippett???

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, she does. Maybe not "make stuff up" but she puts two and two together, comes up with five then runs with it even if it's a completely far-fetched and inaccurate conclusion.

Yeah but I find it interesting that the club is not denying that Tippo has a get out clause in his contract. All they are saying is that they back themselves to sign Tippo beyind the 2012 season.

Maybe she's closer to the mark than we would like to think?

Where in the article does it say that the trade would be agreed to by the end of this season?

"Hence the articles suggestion that a trade may well be agreed to at the end of this season to assure market value is received for Tippett."

Never says that it would be agreed to, just highlights the (arguably) more prudent option.

they have the choice of trading Tippett at the end of this year to the Suns for one or two of Gold Coast's young crop of teenage stars, or potentially losing him to the same club at the end of 2012.

The way I read it, it is no different to any other player being traded whilst contracted.
Only you guys are guranteed to get at least a 2nd and 3rd round draft pick for him. This is the minimum a team must give up for him? A base point for starting negotiations?

No Richmond actually finished bottom that year, if Carlton could have taken Judd via the PSD they would have, but the problem was that Richmond had pick one in the PSD hence why they had to trade with the Eagles.

To a degree though I kinda agree with SBG, any thought that Tippett is worth 2 first round picks is ridiculous. Given his output in 2010 and 2011 a mid round one pick would be a fair market value for him, picks 2-5 are usually only traded for absolute superstars, but from 6-10 would be about right. Obviously he is worth more to us than that, but that would be his market worth.

Will agree to disagree:thumbsu:
If 28 year old Mark Williams is 2 mid- first round picks, 24 year old Tippett is worth at least that. He has massive upside. If he played at a decent club with a good forward set up he would be a superstar of the comp.

It's so easy in hindsight isn't it?

Carlton sentiment to Kennedy at Carlton was generally pretty low. Go read some old threads on him.

At the time, most preferred to lose him over Bower who was the preferred choice between the two.

How quickly we forget.

Edit: Also read what WCE supporters thought of gaining Kennedy. Lol.

They just lost the best player in the league to a tanking, salary cap rorting club that won him over by giving him a million dollars a year through Visy, which was owned by the late disgraced, corrupt Dick Pratt.

What do you think the Eagles supporters were doing? Celebrating?

"Hence the articles suggestion that a trade may well be agreed to at the end of this season to assure market value is received for Tippett."

Never says that it would be agreed to, just highlights the (arguably) more prudent option.

Well yes, it is definitely the more prudent option. The way that I read your other post was that you thought the trade terms could be set this season for a trade next season, but this clearly isn't what you meant.

Right now, the club should focus on getting Tippett to sign an extension beyond 2012 - if he's unwilling to do so then we should definitely be sounding out potential suitors in this year's trade week.

The fact of the matter is, regardless of what this contract says, the end of 2012 was always going to be an interesting time with both Kurtly and Dangerfield coming out of big contracts that we fought tooth and nail to sign.

It will be talked about all next year, just as Walker and Davis has this year.

I'm sick of it already.

I cannot see this trade happening. Tippet is quoted as specifically saying that he does not want to leave. And the senior guys are also saying that, quite bluntly.

The Suns ability, or lack thereof, to score has come under fire recently as we do not have a senior KPF. We have some young bodies who will grow into the role such as Lynch, Dixon and Day, but they are still young and learning the trade. So there's a bazillion rumors that we're hunting guys like Taylor Walker, or the older Tippet brother to get this senior KPF.

Don't believe it. Suns managers, coaches and list management people have said quite clearly a number of times that they will NOT be getting any more senior bodies into the side. They're happy with the forward and how they're progressing, even if they still need some bulk. Bringing in a senior KPF would not be worth the cash, since he'd only be of use for about a year before our young guys get the skills to start going really well.

The article mentions that Gorringe and Tape are likely trade targets, since they're both from SA. Tape is loving it up here, and quoted many times as saying such. Cannot see him leaving. Gorringe just signed a new 2-year contract extension about a week ago, so I guess that rules that out. He still wants to be up here, as does the Club.

I'm not sure how this writer managed to fill out such an article with such fluff!

So yeah, don't be worried Crows fans. Joel Tippet is just as likely to 'come home' as Nick Riewoldt is. :rolleyes:
Id be getting rid of Tippett in a flash. I believe he is the reason we play the way we do by bombing it high and long on his head all the time . Isnt it suprising how in the last two weeks when he has not been there that we have looked better moving the ball into our forward line. It's easy to say our midfield was crap for most of the year and that its our midfields fault but I can categorically say that i go to all home games and Tippett does not have a clue when to lead . If we think we are going to win a premiership with this guy as our main forward we gotta be kidding ourselves. He is a catch and grab player who can only kick goals when hes stationary and lining it up between the sticks, he never kicks a goal in the run of play. Also to be paying him $700K per year , no wonder we are nearly over our salary cap as the other players would look at him and say what's he done better than me in my career , if he is worth that than I am worth this, thus over inflating how much we pay guys on our list. I think getting rid of him for say a Sam Day or another GC youngster would be the best thing for us. The thing is that Day, Lynch and Dixon will all be better forwards than Kurt and Zac Smith and Gorring will be better ruckman. GC will not do this if they have any idea. These guys have grown up playing football . We have a basketballer we are trying to make into this so called Gun footballer. It will never happen Adelaide, my suggestion is MOVE HIM ON whilst he still might be able to land us something in a trade.

Well yes, it is definitely the more prudent option. The way that I read your other post was that you thought the trade terms could be set this season for a trade next season, but this clearly isn't what you meant.

Right now, the club should focus on getting Tippett to sign an extension beyond 2012 - if he's unwilling to do so then we should definitely be sounding out potential suitors in this year's trade week.

:thumbsu: Agreed 100%. Was a bit unclear initially.

Id be getting rid of Tippett in a flash. I believe he is the reason we play the way we do by bombing it high and long on his head all the time .

We have one of the most talented forwards in the league, who is being misused by our midfield not delivering the ball correctly, and your solution to that is to get rid of him?
How about we work on getting our forward structure and our midfield delivery fixed instead rather than letting him go.

We have one of the most talented forwards in the league, who is being misused by our midfield not delivering the ball correctly, and your solution to that is to get rid of him?
How about we work on getting our forward structure and our midfield delivery fixed instead rather than letting him go.

Replace talented with competitive and I agree wholeheartedly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a catch and grab player who can only kick goals when hes stationary and lining it up between the sticks, henever kicks a goal in the run of play.quote]

Nothing wrong with stationing him deep in the F50, attracting 2 defenders, provided Tex and Gunna can learn how to co-exist with him.

If you remove Tip, then what happens if our mids aren't good enough to hit Tex or Gunna up on a lead? Cry foul that we don't have a kick it long to a contest option?

Don't blame Tip, blame the coaches for the forward line entry strategy, and the midfielders who execute it.

The only thing I can think is that Tippett was worried that the club might refuse to play ball on a trade unless something really large is given, so we've agreed to accept a crappy trade if he really wants to go. I just can't imagine any circumstance under which we'd accept such a ridiculous offer. I mean, hell, if we were going to accept a second and possibly third round pick for him, we may as well just have told him to go to GC17 and got a compo pick for him, it wouldn't have been any worse than that anyway!

If we are able to establish trade conditions, we should sign all of our players to contracts that stipulate they're allowed to be traded away if they want, but only for a top 5 pick :D

i can. tippett wants to go back to the gold coast. adelaide consider themselves a certainty for top for and realistic chance of a flag in the next couple of years. kurt tippett is considered to be a crucial factor of us achieving this. tippett says he'll stay for the flag tilt, but wants a guarantee that he'll be able to get to where he wants to go. by defining the terms of the trade, tippett has minimised the ability of the crows to attempt to legal their way out of it. adelaide's hands are completely tied because as soon as someone offers the picks and kurt wants to go there, he is gone.

as far as whether we would be stupid enought to agree to this, i offer our permanent employee mr neil craig. who, when he returns form holidays, is well within his right to walk into the club, sit down, do nothing and continue to get paid his present salary. we have a $600k employee without a job description. not many corporations can lay claim to having one of those.

Don't blame Tip, blame the coaches for the forward line entry strategy, and the midfielders who execute it.

Interestingly, in 3 of the 5 victories Kurt hasnt played, and in those three games, Walker has kicked a combined total of 12 goals.

There's enough evidence to at least warrant a discussion on whether we're best served with him up forward.

He is a catch and grab player who can only kick goals when hes stationary and lining it up between the sticks, henever kicks a goal in the run of play.quote]

Nothing wrong with stationing him deep in the F50, attracting 2 defenders, provided Tex and Gunna can learn how to co-exist with him.

If you remove Tip, then what happens if our mids aren't good enough to hit Tex or Gunna up on a lead? Cry foul that we don't have a kick it long to a contest option?

Yep - a forward line with Tex and Gunna leading, with Tippett as the bang it long to the goal square guy will be very exciting and difficulut to match up on. What we don't want is to be going to Tippett long 90% of the time. It should be more of a last resort. Tippo in the goal squuare will draw 2-3 defenders, so if we are smart with our structure, should give Tex and Gunna plenty of space to lead out one on one. No-one is going to double team Tex on a lead if Tippett is camped in the goal square, because he is such a good contested mark and is sitting in a very dangerous position. The last 2 weeks have shown how good both Tex and Gunna can be on the lead if the ball is delivered to them properly - if we add in a 200cm marking monster in the goal square and it will be a nightmare forward line for opposition defenders. Being then able to utilise a good crumbing forward type - Wright/Callinan/Milera at Tippetts feet and we'll be looking good.

Otherwise play Tippett further up the ground and leave the forward 50 for Tex and Gunna to work in. In any case, trading him is a ludicrous ides.

Id be getting rid of Tippett in a flash. I believe he is the reason we play the way we do by bombing it high and long on his head all the time . Isnt is suprissing how in the last two weeks when he has not been there that we have looked better moving the ball into our forward line. It easy to say our midfield was crap for most of the year and thats its our midfields fault but I can categorically say that i go to all home games and Tippett does not have a clue when to lead . If we think we are going to win a premiership with this guy as our main forward we gotta be kidding ourselves. He is a catch and grab player who can only kick goals when hes stationary and lining it up between the sticks, henever kicks a goal in the run of play. Also to be paying him $700K per year , no wonder we are nearly over our salary cap as the other players would like at him and say what he done better than me in my career , if he is worth that than I am worth this, thus over inflating how much we pay guys on our list. I think getting rid of him for say a Sam Day or another GC youngster would be the best thing for us. The thing is that Day, Lynch and Dixon will all be better forwards than Kurt and Zac Smith and Gorring will be better ruckman. GC will not do this if they have any idea. These guys have grew up playing football . We have a basketballer we are trying to make into this so called Gun footballer. It will never happen Adelaide, my suggestion is MOVE HIM ON whilst he still might be able to land us something in a trade.

I can see why you think that, but i dont' think he's the reason we've been playing that way. It comes down more to the way the team's been instructed to play and the way we structure our forward line. I think this was highlighted on the weeked. When our ball carriers felt under pressure and panicked they fell back into the trap of just kicking high and long into the 50 rather than trying to gain a little composure and use the ball more effectively.
With the right structure, coaching and gameplan we won't play the bomb to the outnumbered forward game andTippo can certainly be the player we want him to be. I also think Walker should be our main forward and Tippo work up the ground a bit with the occasional pinch hit in the ruck.

Yep - a forward line with Tex and Gunna leading, with Tippett as the bang it long to the goal square guy will be very exciting and difficulut to match up on. What we don't want is to be going to Tippett long 90% of the time. It should be more of a last resort. Tippo in the goal squuare will draw 2-3 defenders, so if we are smart with our structure, should give Tex and Gunna plenty of space to lead out one on one. No-one is going to double team Tex on a lead if Tippett is camped in the goal square, because he is such a good contested mark and is sitting in a very dangerous position. The last 2 weeks have shown how good both Tex and Gunna can be on the lead if the ball is delivered to them properly - if we add in a 200cm marking monster in the goal square and it will be a nightmare forward line for opposition defenders. Being then able to utilise a good crumbing forward type - Wright/Callinan/Milera at Tippetts feet and we'll be looking good.

Otherwise play Tippett further up the ground and leave the forward 50 for Tex and Gunna to work in. In any case, trading him is a ludicrous ides.

Good post. Tippo should not be the guy we go through 90% of the time. I would like to see him used like Steve Allesio was at Essendon. Walker and gunston on the lead.

It seems so obvious, what the hell is going on in our coaches box?

Good post. Tippo should not be the guy we go through 90% of the time. I would like to see him used like Steve Allesio was at Essendon. Walker and Tex on the lead.

It seems so obvious, what the hell is going on in our coaches box?

How longs this cloning thing been going on???? :D

I think??...You mean Gunna and Tex!!!

Carro digging for a story and Tippo Manager thinking to pump up his payday at the end of next season...

Tippett can work in the forward line, it is just a matter of structure and being more flexible with where he sets up and how he works against a defender...this will come with experience and a forward line coach with some idea. If he is stationed for 90% of the time just in the goal square of course the temptation is going to be to bomb it long. On the weekend we were still bombing it long with no Tippo to kick it to so that comes back to the development of the mids and experience....Storm in teacup at the mo...still happening at the end of next season with new coach etc then problem..

Tippett higher up the ground certainly has it's merits. His marking power up on the flanks would be very valuable to get around the press/zone/flood.

Will be interesting to see how Bicks and/or the new coach handles Tex, Gunna and Tippett in the same lineup.

Interestingly, in 3 of the 5 victories Kurt hasnt played, and in those three games, Walker has kicked a combined total of 12 goals.

There's enough evidence to at least warrant a discussion on whether we're best served with him up forward.

Fair call Pete. If Tippo can get back on the park this year, I'd be very interested to see whether our forward entries are different to the last 2 weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Could we yet lose Tippett???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back