Craig says 6 - 7 players will go.... who will they be?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I've said somewhere in this wide abyss that is BF that I reckon you should move both edwards and goody back and let the younger blokes loose in the middle. If Edwards and Goodwin play back, you can release both McLeod and Stiffy into the forward flanks with perhaps the odd burst on the ball. That could solve our missing crumber problem we've had in the forward structure, and give the young blokes valuable on ball experience.

edwards has always been better as a forward. goody is a class hbf. i'd be more inclined to leave edwards in the middle till he's finished (only has 1 more yr left imo) and move goody to a hbf and squeeze 2 yrs out of him.

I don't think they can provide it to the extent that McLeod and Johncock do. Neither Goodwin nor Edwards have that evasive ability and pace that allow the likes od McLeod and Johncock to get out of tricky situations and move the ball out of our backline!

Goodwin and Edwards are more of a straight running type players where as McLeod and Johncock have better evasive ability and can take and break better in those situations. I could well be wrong but its the way I see it.

Yeah, nah, you'd be right Stiffy. :thumbsu:

As good a Goody and Edwards are, their evasive qualities pale by comparison to those of your and my namesakes.

Having said that, I agree with the suggestion of Edwards spending more time up forward and Goody spending more time down back to give the younger boys in the mid-field more responsibility and opportunity to develop.

Yeah, nah, you'd be right Stiffy. :thumbsu:

As good a Goody and Edwards are, their evasive qualities pale by comparison to those of your and my namesakes.

Having said that, I agree with the suggestion of Edwards spending more time up forward and Goody spending more time down back to give the younger boys in the mid-field more responsibility and opportunity to develop.

Ok, so how about a compromise: Goodwin up back releasing Mcleod forward. Edwards up forward allowing Douglas (or someone else) to develop more in the midfield.

Ok, so how about a compromise: Goodwin up back releasing Mcleod forward. Edwards up forward allowing Douglas (or someone else) to develop more in the midfield.

I don't think we should shift Macca. What he brings to our team ,no other player could. I wouldn't mind Goody playing on the wing, with his long kicking and footy nous.

Edwards out of a forward pocket could be useful, with an occasional run on the ball.

I don't think we should shift Macca. What he brings to our team ,no other player could. I wouldn't mind Goody playing on the wing, with his long kicking and footy nous.

Edwards out of a forward pocket could be useful, with an occasional run on the ball.

Yeah we need like 2 or 3 maccas ;-)

I like the idea of shifting macca further up the field as that gives him more of a chance of kicking some goals. Also we all know that 90% of the time maccas passes will hit their targets and if we have him feeding our forwards we will get much better chances at goal. Too many times i think we either missed targets in the forward 50 or just bombed away for the top of the square.

I think having macca back there is a bit of a defensive luxury, and having your best player in that part of the ground shows you are more concerned with defending (and granted rebounding) then going out there and attacking the game.

What do the fellow forum members think?

Yeah we need like 2 or 3 maccas ;-)

I like the idea of shifting macca further up the field as that gives him more of a chance of kicking some goals. Also we all know that 90% of the time maccas passes will hit their targets and if we have him feeding our forwards we will get much better chances at goal. Too many times i think we either missed targets in the forward 50 or just bombed away for the top of the square.

I think having macca back there is a bit of a defensive luxury, and having your best player in that part of the ground shows you are more concerned with defending (and granted rebounding) then going out there and attacking the game.

What do the fellow forum members think?
I disagree with that simply because McLeod's first objective as a defender is to provide attacking rebound rather than stop his opponent.

You don't have to be further up the ground to be an attacking player. If anything, McLeod is our most attacking player and he is played in the back line.

I think people look at this year and all of a sudden brand us as a defensive team and thats how we play full stop. Look back to 2005 and 2006. We played in exactly the same manner and we were great to watch. Running in numbers from HB, linking by hands and hitting the goal front. The problem this year is that we didn't have the forward line personnel to aim for as we did in 2 years prior.

In 2005 we had fit and firing Welsh, strong marking McGregor, clever Hentschel and hard working Perrie (in career best year) to aim at. Last year we had Hentschel at his very best, Burton at his best, Ricciuto proving a handful out of FF, Bode crumbing anything in his sight, Biglands dropping down and kicking a goal plus per game. Last year we had Hentschel kick 8 goals in one game. Burton kicking 7 in the other, Ricciuto getting his 5 odd goals in a semi regular basis.

Thats the sort of luxury we didn't have this year so we went more defensive. Somewhat understandable.

When we have everyone up and running, we play as attractive football as ANY other team in the competition. Geelong this year are playing a very similar style to what we did in 2005 and 2006. Its just that they have a better forward line and they can capitalise on their rebound. We go forward and have nothing to kick to and when someone does take a mark, they can't kick to save their life.

You don't think Goody and Edwards could provide that creativity and move the ball forward? I mean you could well be right, but I think McLeod is wasted back there when he could be sharking goals all over the place whilst up forward!
We would be better off finding a pacy forward/midfielder in the trade/drafting period.

We played in exactly the same manner and we were great to watch. Running in numbers from HB, linking by hands and hitting the goal front. The problem this year is that we didn't have the forward line personnel to aim for as we did in 2 years prior.

I don't think we did this at all this year?? Especially the running in numbers from half back. It just seemed like McLeod was the only one really running from half back, he'd hit somebody lace out on the chest further up the field, they'd hold it up or dance around for 30 seconds then either lose the ball or bomb it to the top of the square. The ball would then come back again, end up with McLeod and it starts again until we get lucky and score a goal. Or maybe i saw something different.

To me we did look like a defensive team and possibly the most defensive team in the competition???, maybe thats my skewed vision or I'm looking at the game incorrectly, or I maybe I'm just disappointed by our results this year and looking for answers.

I don't think we did this at all this year?? Especially the running in numbers from half back. It just seemed like McLeod was the only one really running from half back, he'd hit somebody lace out on the chest further up the field, they'd hold it up or dance around for 30 seconds then either lose the ball or bomb it to the top of the square. The ball would then come back again, end up with McLeod and it starts again until we get lucky and score a goal. Or maybe i saw something different.

To me we did look like a defensive team and possibly the most defensive team in the competition???, maybe thats my skewed vision or I'm looking at the game incorrectly, or I maybe I'm just disappointed by our results this year and looking for answers.
No you are right to a degree. Where we disagree is that you see it as a change in game plan (thats how I interpret your posts) where I see it as a result of personnel on the field.

I think we tried to play the same way but when you don't have the confidence in players further up the field, the run dries up, the hesitation creeps in and mistakes happen.

We have had players miss close to 200 games through injury this year. We have been VERY unsettled throughout the whole season. The run didn't happen because you don't have that understanding with the players on the field because you had no chance to "get to know each other" on the footy field. In 2005 and 2006 that was possible because we had a reasonable run with injuries (late 2006 not included) and we could keep a settled line up and each player knew what the others were thinking and when and where they are going to provide them with an option.

When you have unsettled side you lose fluency that made us the "crowbots" of 2 years prior. When you lose practically your whole forward line for the year, you are not going to be an attacking side no matter how much you want to.

are you NC stiffy?? only joking ;-)

Is our gameplan tht sound that we should not explore alternatives?
I think our game plan IS sound but we do need to explore alternatives. When things are not happening we need to have an alternative. The biggest criticism of Craig is that he has plan A and if that fails stick to plan A.

I would like to see us have a bit more flexibility in the way we play and also have some match day nous in the coaching box. If something is broken we need to fix it.

When we have our full kit on the park and everyone is performing to an acceptable level, our game plan is great to watch. A great combination of some exceptional defence and hard running offence. If we had the appropriate personnel in the forward line we would be blowing sides out of the water.

Yeah fair comment stiffy, and I pretty much agree 100% with you there. I guess I'm just being selfish wanting to see McLeod score more goals. I think McLeod has been brilliant at half back and probably redefined that position to the point where its more or less become the "quarter back" or "point guard" position of an AFL side. I also see other teams copying this tactic, ie PAP and P.Burguyoune.

But I still want to see Macca kick goals :-( Youll be hard pressed to find a better site in football thatn Macca glidding into the forward line and slotting a goal

For those who have forgotten the magic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaftIbZyR7o

My biggest issue with the Crows game plan is the forward setup this is what lets it down and doesnt allow our forwards to shine like they can. The huddle up around CHF and no-one in the forward 50 just doesn't work. I cannot believe that we do not have at least 1 person in the forward 50 the majority of the time as a lead up player. We have on of the best leading players in the AFL in Welsh and he happens to be one of the most accurate and can kick goals from outside 50, plus Gill who i'm sure could play a similar role and yet we waste them across half-forward.

I could not care to count the number of times players streaming off half back and down the wings had to stop, prop and go side ways or try and spot up a player leading away from them, these kicks have to be perfect, however Reilly and Mcleod would probably be the only 2 who would have a chance of hitting a player this way. My seats at footy park are right up near the radio commentary where you can see the tactics played out much better, I watched the crows implement this and as soon as i saw it I knew it wouldn't work. If we had perfect skills, then yes it may, but even when they were up in 06 they weren't good enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I agree with most of what you say, but I do think we need another option as our leading forward apart from welsh. I saw a couple of games that welsh played at half forward and I really like the work he was doing, chasing hard and hitting people with passes so I wouldnt mind seeing welsh on a half forward flank next year. Not sure who will play full forward next year... Slotting hentchell up there is asking a bit much for his first year back i think.

For me...

Roo - Retired
Perrie - Retired
Doughty - Delisted
Mattner - Traded for his own wellbeing as a player.
Meesen - Traded at his own request, looking for greater opportunities.
McGregor - Traded at his own request, also looking for more opportunities.
Jericho - Traded or Delisted

If an 8th is required:
Bode - Too many injuries.

Would retain Biglands in case something happens to Hudson - but he would be spending the entire season in the SANFL if Hudson remains fit.

IMO, there is absolutley no way that we should be getting rid of mattner. His run is something which is just so hard to find and his disposal will better with more experience. Too good of a player to let go, for the club and for his sake seeing he is an adelaide boy

I agree would not like to let mattner go, I would trade shirley before Mattner *ducks for cover*

mmm...ive heard a few say the same. The argument is we already have VB as a tagger but i would love to see him be the more damaging type as he has great goal sense and knows how to find the pill. If we keep shirley, i reckon he frees up van berlo, where shirley can find his own footy on plenty of occasions as well, while doing a tagging role.

where shirley can find his own footy on plenty of occasions as well, while doing a tagging role.

very rarely do i see this happen.... all the players who were previously considered "run-with" players are now no longer pure taggers, ie cameron Ling, Kane Cornes, Brett Kirk, Cambell Brown. The game has changed i think and you can longer be a pure "run-with" player and thats what I consider shirley unfortunately (I hope if he's there next year he proves me wrong).

In my opinion he needs to do some damage with the ball whilst performing his tagging role make the person he is tagging also have think about defending him.

I believe there is no reason why VB can't take over shirleys role and still be a damaging player, I think VB has the potential to be as good as K Cornes (dare i say it even better) who does this every game.

very rarely do i see this happen.... all the players who were previously considered "run-with" players are now no longer pure taggers, ie cameron Ling, Kane Cornes, Brett Kirk, Cambell Brown. The game has changed i think and you can longer be a pure "run-with" player and thats what I consider shirley unfortunately (I hope if he's there next year he proves me wrong).

In my opinion he needs to do some damage with the ball whilst performing his tagging role make the person he is tagging also have think about defending him.

I believe there is no reason why VB can't take over shirleys role and still be a damaging player, I think VB has the potential to be as good as K Cornes (dare i say it even better) who does this every game.

the main difference is VB kicks the footy towrds his goal, not sideways:D

Its amazing some of the names being thrown up on here. Cant honestly believe anyone would mention Torney who had his best year at the club and is highly regarded by the players, yet alone Edwards . I thought Biglands was lucky to be retained after doing his knee in 2006, but he is more needed now than ever with Huddo leaving. I would delist Hinge, Bode, Doughty, Perrie and Jericho. With Roo retiring and Huddo and Mcgregor being traded. I would keep Meesen and I would persist in Mattner as I think he is a player we wouldnt get much for but I reckon at least half a dozen sides would love to pick him up cheaply in the preseason draft and it would be demoralising for us true supporters to see him destroyng teams with his pace and long kick. He isnt far off. Doughty on the other hand, whilst still capable isnt going to improve and he keeps youngsters from geting a crack. Meesen should be retained as we have put so much into him and I think all we would get is a 3rd round pick. If we got a pick in the top 25, flick him, but cant see it happening. Our luck in the draft is due to change, lets keep our picks from trading and get some kids. Makes me sick to say, but take a leaf out Collingwood and the Powers book.

Remove this Banner Ad

Craig says 6 - 7 players will go.... who will they be?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back